IGNORED

Do Any City Fans Have Any Patience?

Robbored

Robbo - let's go round in circles again shall we?

What progress have we made?

Development squad and coaching staff.

None on the pitch then?

No, Millen is trying, but he has a difficult job.

But what's his excuse for us going backwards?

Were not going backwards and it's reasons not excuses....

Pure anti Millen propaganda.

You don't know that. For the players to lose faith in the manager he would have to lose the dressing room as Johnson did. There is no evidence at all of that.

The board refuse to overspend which is the prudent thing to do. Its nothing to do with not trusting the manager although after all the dross signed by Johnson and money wasted you couldn't blame the board for being cautious.

When Johnson arrived he had to play the 'bad cop' role due to the players 'social' habits, and so fell out with certain players.

(I was there at Plymouth, and would quite happily punched most of the team at half-time, so well done Gary)

Millen is never going to 'lose the dressing room' because he plays the 'good cop' role, and allows players on £10k and more to sit around and do **** all.

So is it any surprise that the 'drinking culture' is creeping back?

drunk2.gifBCFC team bonding session drunk2.gif

Not sure I have seen evidence of much 'Anti-Millen Hatred'. Most people, in my view, actually like the guy, sympathise with his situation but agree that realistically he has been promoted to a position that it would appear he is not capable of. No amount of excuses change the reality that the football we have seen in the last 12 months has been drab, uninspiring and generally lacklustre.

How many new managers outside of Manchester City would be able to build their 'own' squad in the same time frame? Maybe in League 2 where teams seem to change nearly all their personnel every season, but not in the top two divisions. This notion, that when he can build his own squad he will be more successful is a myth. Danny Wilson had cash hand over fist when he was City boss and he never achieved the success the club's backing deserved. Paul Tisdale at Exeter however has built an established League 1 team on absolute peanuts. When they bought Archibald-Henville from Spurs for £50k, it was the first fee they had paid in something like 6 years!!

My long winded point is that a good manager manages within the resources he has available to him. If you need chippies on a building site as charge hand, and instead use the small budget you've got to recruit another brickie and a roofer, you would soon find your services dispensed with. Hence buying additional strkers/wingers when EVERYONE knows you need defenders, is at best naive, at worst almost self-destructive.

We demonstrated our patience when we renewed again. We showed faith that the football hardly warranted. Now something needs to be done. We were patient under the previously mentioned Wilson, another nice fella, but where did that get us???? 5 points from 5 games is a piss poor return. 1 point and no goals at home, from your opening 2 league matches coupled with a cup exit vs a 4th Division team in front of your bread and butter support is unacceptable. And you want MORE patience??!!:grr: :grr:

I feel we have been very patient with Millen. He said at the end of last season that we needed to improve the defence before this season kicked off. He promptly signed two wingers (one of which he has never picked to play), a forward and a midfielder (who I believe was a good signing). Then told the fans we had no money left to buy a defender because he'd failed to sell anyone.

In the couple of good runs last year leading to him winning manager of the month the side featured Cisse - a strong defensive Midfielder...he has not featured this season at all! Playing with one person up front at home is not what the fans of Bristol City want. Losing to a team two divisions below while showing no passion is not going to make yopu popular.

Millen's big mistake has been to rely too much on the statistics he receives rather than the evidence of his eyes. Football is about opinions but I buy my season ticket every year to watch a team that is trying to win. Sadly this season it is obvious already that the manager considers success to be staying in this division. If that is the case then season tickets were sold on false pretences. I have been watching City for over 40 years and I can't remember many performances worse than the last two home games.

We only drew with Doncaster (the worst team in this league) because David James saved a penalty. Millen was involved in signing just about every player - either as manager or as assistant. He is not up to the job. We have all been very patient. We need a manager with passion, ambition and experience to take us into the top half of the Championship. We have some good individuals...they just need to be organised, motivated and moulded into a team. Millen shows no evidence of being able to do that. He must go.

I find it tiresome to read through all the 'Bye Millen' threads. Same old, same old negative stuff which becomes repetitive and boring.

Barely anyone is able to provide a balanced view or see the wider picture.

City drew away yesterday and earning a point along the way and yet any neutral reading this forum would think that City were stuffed 7-0. It is truly baffling to see such an odd reaction to what was a decent enough result.

We all know that Millen lacks around 3 or 4 quality players, particularly in defence and midfield but despite his efforts has so far lost out of at least 5 targets. That said there are still a few days of the window left and we may yet see some new blood. Even if we don't it re-opens just a week later for loans.

The new season is just 5 games in and City have lost 2, won 1 and drawn 2. Not a fantastic start but three unbeaten and conceding just 2 goals in 3 games having conceded 6 in the first two games.Surely that's signs of improvement? We now have the international break and hopefully by the Brighton game everyone will be fit and we will have at a couple of new additions.

Its been explained many times how Millen's options have been limited by the size of City's squad. Lee Johnson has gone out on loan and we may well see a couple/three more going out before window shuts. That will allow Millen a bit more flexibility in what players he can bring in.

Its also been said that this season is likely to be one of maintaining Championship status. In some ways similar to last season. Some poor runs, some good runs and a mid-table finish. Then over next summer its clear out time and Millen can then start to strengthen with some degree of freedom and build his own team. If Millen can strengthen here and there before then we might see a top 10 finish.

Thankfully Sexstone and the board can see the wider picture and are not over reacting in the same way as some fans are. Unless City are rock bottom come xmas Millen won't be going anywhere.

Fans having some understanding of the situation at City would reduce all this 'Millen out' nonsense but some fans just don't want to see the wider situation.

shall we use coppell as an excuse again!!!!! millen had all summer to sort it and he hasn't no centre half signed which was needed. moan over

I feel we have been very patient with Millen. He said at the end of last season that we needed to improve the defence before this season kicked off. He promptly signed two wingers (one of which he has never picked to play), a forward and a midfielder (who I believe was a good signing). Then told the fans we had no money left to buy a defender because he'd failed to sell anyone.

In the couple of good runs last year leading to him winning manager of the month the side featured Cisse - a strong defensive Midfielder...he has not featured this season at all! Playing with one person up front at home is not what the fans of Bristol City want. Losing to a team two divisions below while showing no passion is not going to make yopu popular.

Millen's big mistake has been to rely too much on the statistics he receives rather than the evidence of his eyes. Football is about opinions but I buy my season ticket every year to watch a team that is trying to win. Sadly this season it is obvious already that the manager considers success to be staying in this division. If that is the case then season tickets were sold on false pretences. I have been watching City for over 40 years and I can't remember many performances worse than the last two home games.

We only drew with Doncaster (the worst team in this league) because David James saved a penalty. Millen was involved in signing just about every player - either as manager or as assistant. He is not up to the job. We have all been very patient. We need a manager with passion, ambition and experience to take us into the top half of the Championship. We have some good individuals...they just need to be organised, motivated and moulded into a team. Millen shows no evidence of being able to do that. He must go.

Istill think we can beinto the top half of the Championship. Last 3 games we only conceded 2goals. The defence is getting better. Ok 1-1 against Donny maybe not so good, but still 1 point. 12 games in Championship this wekend and 6 draws. The leauge is very tight, West Ham and Leicester are the 2 top teams imo. Said it before, points are more important than play attractive football. Maybe the Hull game at Wembley and later on when Coppell came in many City fans getting dream of pl. Last season we finished 15 its not so bad. Maybe our team its not better than that. Offcause I hope the team will improve and get a better place in the table this season. But sack KM after 5 games smells panic imo. Sure the board and SL works in a long term. SL is a buissnesman and he knows how to ride the bus. The new stadium new players in next season. Im optimistic. The keything is that we have to avoid relegation. COYR!!!

shall we use coppell as an excuse again!!!!! millen had all summer to sort it and he hasn't no centre half signed which was needed. moan over

I'd argue that he has sorted out the centre backs - Tanga and Wilson look a good solid pairing and Fonts and Carey as back ups is fine IMO. Yes if a Caulker type player was available then it would be great but unlikely. We still need a left back and genuine footballer in the middle of the park...

When Johnson arrived he had to play the 'bad cop' role due to the players 'social' habits, and so fell out with certain players.

(I was there at Plymouth, and would quite happily punched most of the team at half-time, so well done Gary)

Millen is never going to 'lose the dressing room' because he plays the 'good cop' role, and allows players on £10k and more to sit around and do **** all.

So is it any surprise that the 'drinking culture' is creeping back?

drunk2.gifBCFC team bonding session drunk2.gif

Totally agree!

I find it tiresome to read through all the 'Bye Millen' threads. Same old, same old negative stuff which becomes repetitive and boring.

City drew away yesterday and earning a point along the way and yet any neutral reading this forum would think that City were stuffed 7-0. It is truly baffling to see such an odd reaction to what was a decent enough result.

We all know that Millen lacks around 3 or 4 quality players, particularly in defence and midfield but despite his efforts has so far lost out of at least 5 targets. That said there are still a few days of the window left and we may yet see some new blood. Even if we don't it re-opens just a week later for loans.

The new season is just 5 games in and City have lost 2, won 1 and drawn 2. Not a fantastic start but three unbeaten and conceding just 2 goals in 3 games having conceded 6 in the first two games.Surely that's signs of improvement? We now have the international break and hopefully by the Brighton game everyone will be fit and we will have at a couple of new additions.

Its been explained many times how Millen's options have been limited by the size of City's squad. Lee Johnson has gone out on loan and we may well see a couple/three more going out before window shuts. That will allow Millen a bit more flexibility in what players he can bring in.

Its also been said that this season is likely to be one of maintaining Championship status. In some ways similar to last season. Some poor runs, some good runs and a mid-table finish. Then over next summer its clear out time and Millen can then start to strengthen with some degree of freedom and build his own team. If Millen can strengthen here and there before then we might see a top 10 finish.

Thankfully Sexstone and the board can see the wider picture and are not over reacting in the same way as some fans are. Unless City are rock bottom come xmas Millen won't be going anywhere.

Fans having some understanding of the situation at City would reduce all this 'Millen out' nonsense but some fans just don't want to see the wider situation.

facepalm.gif

This from the man who regards our manager who took us to the edge of the Premier League, as "a Conference Manager"

The man has had 40 odd games to improve on the awful football Johnsons dying days, and singularly hasnt. We still play as badly if not worse, we still only compete for 45 minutes, still dont score, still leak goals.

Most of us on here who dont go to Rovers play off finals fully realise we aint a big club., and that talk of the Premiershit is seriously premature. Oh and it has dawned on us that we're skint, and that the squad is too big, and more importantly the vast majority isnt good enough either, so try not to patronise us, please. I wanted Johnson gone as much as most, but in all honesty have we improved in the time since he has been gone. No we aint.

Your new hero has been here for years and been a part of three dismal periods in this clubs history. He has also been here throughout almost all the current squads time here, and if he cant get summat out of them by now, he aint ever gonna. Get those anybody but Johnson specs off. Your hero was here throughout his tenure and also during the awful Tinnion one too.

We do need to move players out, and your hero must have realised that the day he wangled his way into the post, and hasnt moved any substantial numbers on in a year. Millen is not now nor will he ever be a decent manager.

I do beg your pardon in thinking this club might do better with an experienced manager.

God help me it would almost be better if GJ was back here, if nowt else he'd give YOU summat to moan about. The football certainly couldnt be any more bloody tedious, could it?

Took your bete noire one season to get us promoted, and another to almost manage another. Your hero has managed two league survivals...in two spells. Fantastic record Robbored, fantastic. I would rather Danny Wilson was back in charge.

This from the man who regards our manager who took us to the edge of the Premier League, as "a Conference Manager"

The man has had 40 odd games to improve on the awful football Johnsons dying days, and singularly hasnt. We still play as badly if not worse, we still only compete for 45 minutes, still dont score, still leak goals.

Most of us on here who dont go to Rovers play off finals fully realise we aint a big club., and that talk of the Premiershit is seriously premature. Oh and it has dawned on us that we're skint, and that the squad is too big, and more importantly the vast majority isnt good enough either, so try not to patronise us, please. I wanted Johnson gone as much as most, but in all honesty have we improved in the time since he has been gone. No we aint.

Your new hero has been here for years and been a part of three dismal periods in this clubs history. He has also been here throughout almost all the current squads time here, and if he cant get summat out of them by now, he aint ever gonna. Get those anybody but Johnson specs off. Your hero was here throughout his tenure and also during the awful Tinnion one too.

We do need to move players out, and your hero must have realised that the day he wangled his way into the post, and hasnt moved any substantial numbers on in a year. Millen is not now nor will he ever be a decent manager.

I do beg your pardon in thinking this club might do better with an experienced manager.

God help me it would almost be better if GJ was back here, if nowt else he'd give YOU summat to moan about. The football certainly couldnt be any more bloody tedious, could it?

Took your bete noire one season to get us promoted, and another to almost manage another. Your hero has managed two league survivals...in two spells. Fantastic record Robbored, fantastic. I would rather Danny Wilson was back in charge.

Splendid post- was going to post similar until I saw this. The call for patience is interesting given the lack of patience shown by RR during sticky patches of Johnson's reign....Maybe I missed the very worst of it but I don't remember it being as bad under Johnson- maybe at the very end but certainly less worried about the drop under him than this season and large chunks of last.Despite all that though, if he can keep us up he's done ok- I have no massive expectations right now.

What a load of twaddle.

Millen has now had 2 transfer windows to solve the problem with the defence and up to now hasn't identified any of the issues which we had last season. He continues to play a central Midfield that is just not good enough, whilst we have players that we know can do a job in there like Cisse.

He brings a striker on and plays him Left Midfield wow a tactical genius. You might be happy with mediocre displays week in week out, but I am sure you didn' enjoy those displays when GJ was here. I guess KM hasn't called you out so thats ok with you so he can stay in his job.

You speak about the fact Millen has a big squad, that may be true so why doesn't he use it instead of settling for the same players week in week out and why bring players in if your not going to get them into the 1st team squad.

No matter what you say under GJ this club was united when he was here and even at the end it wasn't as bad as some people made out.

Where has our united club now? Exactly, all the good work GJ did has been undone by near enough 18 months of dire football and lack of leadership from the manager.

In Keith Millen you may trust - I like many others don't!

People have every right to complain about the dross on offer.....................

In the same manner you used to complain about the previous manager.

What a load of twaddle.

Millen has now had 2 transfer windows to solve the problem with the defence and up to now hasn't identified any of the issues which we had last season. He continues to play a central Midfield that is just not good enough, whilst we have players that we know can do a job in there like Cisse.

He brings a striker on and plays him Left Midfield wow a tactical genius. You might be happy with mediocre displays week in week out, but I am sure you didn' enjoy those displays when GJ was here. I guess KM hasn't called you out so thats ok with you so he can stay in his job.

You speak about the fact Millen has a big squad, that may be true so why doesn't he use it instead of settling for the same players week in week out and why bring players in if your not going to get them into the 1st team squad.

No matter what you say under GJ this club was united when he was here and even at the end it wasn't as bad as some people made out.

Where has our united club now? Exactly, all the good work GJ did has been undone by near enough 18 months of dire football and lack of leadership from the manager.

......and brings in a left midfielder to play at left back. Obviously a 'deeper' understanding of rotation than most of us have. What next ? The left back moves into CB and the CB to RB the...........

People have every right to complain about the dross on offer.....................

In the same manner you used to complain about the previous manager.

There are the usual suspects who attack the poster and not the post on this thread. Comments like ''you didn't get behind Johnson" as if thats a relevant point 18 months later...

The difference is that I could see no future under Johnson. It was obvious that he had no develop plans as all the loanee's he wasted money on shows. I always felt it would go tits up and eventually it did.

Its different with Millen. I have far more faith in his ability to manage City. Despite a difficult last season he managed just 3 and 1 points less that the previous two seasons and I'm sure he'll manage City to another mid-table finish this season. Its then, next summer with his hand untied that we'll see what he's truly capable of when he gets the chance to have a major player clear out.

I\m not arguing that he providing great football, he ain't but thats largely down to the players at his disposal. He's having to utilise his resources in the most effective way. Three games undefeated is a step in the right direction and when/if he can get in some more defenders we'll see things improve.

Patience is the word.................

Ahhh the voice of rea....sorry, I mean hypocrite.

There are the usual suspects who attack the poster and not the post on this thread. Comments like ''you didn't get behind Johnson" as if thats a relevant point 18 months later...

The difference is that I could see no future under Johnson. It was obvious that he had no develop plans as all the loanee's he wasted money on shows. I always felt it would go tits up and eventually it did.

Its different with Millen. I have far more faith in his ability to manage City. Despite a difficult last season he managed just 3 and 1 points less that the previous two seasons and I'm sure he'll manage City to another mid-table finish this season. Its then, next summer with his hand untied that we'll see what he's truly capable of when he gets the chance to have a major player clear out.

I\m not arguing that he providing great football, he ain't but thats largely down to the players at his disposal. He's having to utilise his resources in the most effective way. Three games undefeated is a step in the right direction and when/if he can get in some more defenders we'll see things improve.

and then it will 12 months for ALL of his new signings to bed and another 12 months before we can expect results and by then our crowds will be on a par with your mates over the river.

What would be good is to see is Millen signings actually playing, preferably in their correct position and making a difference after all we are constantly told how good he is in the transfer market.

Because he'll have money freed up by the departure of around 10-12 out of contract players.

As someone has put in another thread, he has bought in plenty of players....yet bar 2 of them, the rest have either struggled, failed to deliver and can barely make the team now.

Woolford - came here highly rated. In 8 months...he looks void of any confidence what so ever. Now we play him left back!!!!!

Pitman - another player bring utterly wasted

Danny Rose - Highly rated at one of the biggest clubs in the country, yet we got nowt out of him.

This myth that he hasn't been backed is just that...a myth. Ok, maybe not as much as Johnson in the past, but he has still bought plenty in. Apart from Caulker and Spence...the rest have struggled

Most of us don't attack the poster and present rational criticisms though so ignore the others and address those I would suggest. it would be interesting to know what your faith is based on but it is at least a departure that you accept the football is poor having assured us we would get the opposite from Keith. I'm afraid the players at his disposal argument looks weak given the attacking players he has at his disposal and that we were told Kilkenny was the creative midfielder we needed. I suspect most Championship sides would like to have Adomah, Maynard, Pitman, Stead and Woolford yet Keith can hardly be said to be getting the best out of what he has.

I seem to recall that you (and Keith) told us things would improve when he had a pre-season of his own; no sign of that so far. Now the timeframe has been moved back to next summer; it's certainly true a lot of players will be out of contract but as they are not currently in the team I fail to see how they are to blame for the performances. Even when they are gone and assumimg we still have the players I have listed (plus Bolasie and Taylor) I wouldn't think Keith would be signing any attacking players. So he will still have to get more out of them than he is now.

We certainly need better defenders (Keith is talking about quantity but I sincerely hope he sees we need better quality; no point signing more defenders if they are not better than the ones we have) but Keith has had 2 transfer windows to address that and has only today admitted that the search for a second left baclk has been going on far too long. And by the way Colin says Keith's hands are not tied. I am still wondering which one is lying, though my money is on Keith being set up as the fall guy in this; as if he didn't have enough problems.:disapointed2se:

I more than suspect the manager has identified the issues and the players he would like to fix them, however it seems we haven't been succesful in bringing them here and I would guess that while we have a huge squad the finance is simply not available to compete with clubs offering high wages. I do agree that we should be using this huge squad to its full potential, however it seems bridges have been burned which is not smart.

When GJ was here he took time to develop a raport with the fans and this IS very definately lacking at the moment!

Playing a player out of his best position is annoying but sometimes necessary. All managers do it from time-to-time and for there own reasons.

Yes we very definately need to foster the we all stand together attitude that Gary Johnson brought to the club, however that did fall apart eventually when Gary was here and blaming Millen or anyone else for the demise of that feeling at the club would be re writing history. Nevertheless Millen needs a couple of results and then to start to rebuild that rapport as a metter of urgency if he is to continue or have any chance of getting the supporters (or at least many of those on this board) back on side...The jury I am sure is out in respect of even if he starts getting results does he have the charisma to build that rapport

Millen says bounce around the ground!!!

Most of us don't attack the poster and present rational criticisms though so ignore the others and address those I would suggest. it would be interesting to know what your faith is based on

You beat me to it. Well said.

I assumed that the OP was intended to start a discussion...in which case it seems a bit one sided. Would be good to hear the original poster - or others who agree with him - respond to some of the thoughtful arguments which challenge his position.

Archived