IGNORED

Do Any City Fans Have Any Patience?

Robbored

I've no axe to grind with Robbo but he has been more than happy to launch such juvenile attacks towards Gary Johnson, a classic case from the classic threads section

http://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/topic/52817-gary-johnson-conference-manager/

He does not advocate patience toward a then new manager who had only just had 1 transfer window and that had only closed 13 day prior to this post. Despite inheriting a squd with an alledged drinking culture that conference manager took us to a respectable 9th in the table which included a run of 9 straight defeats. Maybe you can see why some on here are a tadge resentful of being told to have patience.

I agree with you 100%, which a post I made earlier today would allude to. Tinman started to get the booze boys out and Gary finished the job. Don't for one minute think I agree with everything robb says

But what about all the rational posts to which he does not respond? Given his absolute faith in Keith I would have thought he would be confident he could counter those. Instead all who disgree with him are dismissed as attacking the poster, something most don't do. Good way of avoiding debate I suppose. As I posted earlier on the thread his counter argument is just a straw man one; attribute a position to somebody that they do not take (i.e. anybody who disagrees is a Millen hater) and attack that as opposed to addressing the issues.

I started this thread after yet another 'bye Millen' thread appeared after City had earned a point away from home. To some a draw wasn't good enough and I found the level of critism levelled at Millen completely OTT. It seemed to me that nothing less than a 0-4 win would have been acceptable. It also occurred to me that too many fans weren't considering all the factors and that if they did they might have a little more patience.

Ultimately most if not all of us hold fixed views, not just on Millen but all things City and to respond 'rational posts' as you put ultimately leads us around in circles.

Woolford - came here highly rated. In 8 months...he looks void of any confidence what so ever. Now we play him left back!!!!!

Pitman - another player bring utterly wasted

Danny Rose - Highly rated at one of the biggest clubs in the country, yet we got nowt out of him.

The whole position thing- well Woolford would offer another attacking outlet so I can kinda see what he is trying to do there, as I said on another thread with Pitman he is surely trying to be too clever. Rose thing, no idea.

I started this thread after yet another 'bye Millen' thread appeared after City had earned a point away from home. To some a draw wasn't good enough and I found the level of critism levelled at Millen completely OTT. It seemed to me that nothing less than a 0-4 win would have been acceptable. It also occurred to me that too many fans weren't considering all the factors and that if they did they might have a little more patience.

Ultimately most if not all of us hold fixed views, not just on Millen but all things City and to respond 'rational posts' as you put ultimately leads us around in circles.

Nice try, 1 shot on target, 1 corner battered and only saved by our goalkeeper more hoof ball, turgid football against a team ravaged by injury and without a point.

I agree with you 100%, which a post I made earlier today would allude to. Tinman started to get the booze boys out and Gary finished the job. Don't for one minute think I agree with everything robb says

Tinnion may have got rid of Coles and Doherty, the two most obvious booze boys- but he talso signed Messrs Orr, Partridge, Brown and Brooker- all of whom went to prison for erm would you believe it trouble in the centre- doubtless related to booze?

Tinnion may have got rid of Coles and Doherty, the two most obvious booze boys- but he talso signed Messrs Orr, Partridge, Brown and Brooker- all of whom went to prison for erm would you believe it trouble in the centre- doubtless related to booze?

True I know he was trying to clean up the club through years of Wilson slackness. Looks like his homework was not so hot on these guys.

The whole position thing- well Woolford would offer another attacking outlet so I can kinda see what he is trying to do there, as I said on another thread with Pitman he is surely trying to be too clever. Rose thing, no idea.

Woolford is obviously low on confidence, I think he alluded to it on one of his twitter posts. I think the sxxt he got on here got to him.

Rose was a strange one, obviously classy but

again the sxxt he got on here was unreal.

Obviously others will say they should accept it and get on with it. But it's bound to effect confidence when your getting stick.

Pitman, even though obviously a good goal scorer isn't going to shift Maynard.

He likes to come in from the left to shoot with his right foot, it was clear when he was at Bournemouth that he got most of his goals from that position.

I presume that is the reason why he's playing on the left side.

Woolford is obviously low on confidence, I think he alluded to it on one of his twitter posts. I think the sxxt he got on here got to him.

Rose was a strange one, obviously classy but

again the sxxt he got on here was unreal.

Obviously others will say they should accept it and get on with it. But it's bound to effect confidence when your getting stick.

Pitman, even though obviously a good goal scorer isn't going to shift Maynard.

He likes to come in from the left to shoot with his right foot, it was clear when he was at Bournemouth that he got most of his goals from that position.

I presume that is the reason why he's playing on the left side.

Woolford and Rose are getting sex on here?.

It's really quite simple.

Yes we can't really expect promotion but it's not either unreasonbale and unrealistic with Millen over a year in post to expect:

(1) Decent football - both quality and entertaining - we've got some great players albeit a squad with some weaknesses. When was the last time we saw a match like the Leicester Soton Match?

(2) If we can't stuff teams like Doncaster what hope is there? I'm not expecting a six goal margin like Manu's stuffing off Arsenal but a display of confident football with a a two or three goal margin at least. As it is, when City score first I end up praying they can hold onto a lead - or concede an early goal and I know the best I can hope for is an equaliser.

We need a Manager who can inspire a team to perform like Norwhich last season - and Manu yesterday - always trying to score until the very end. Instead Millen uses the excuse in his post match interview that "we had to defend [vs Donnie}".

I guess I should take heart from some of the old hands and have patience - give it a few years, wait for the new stadium, and then.....

I can accept a mid-table position as long as it's accompanied by a few factors :-

Some half-decent football.

Progression of one or two youngsters like Reid.

Avoidance of silly positional selections - Pitman wide on the left and playing a winger who is like a fish out of water at full-back. Surely the common sense thing would be to play either Ribeiro at left-back or recall Edwards who supposedly can play left-back as well as right-back.

Some indications that the signings KM has made are decent and that he can get them playing to their potential. There's little sign of that so far aside from Pitman when played in his proper position.

The point about the managers ability to spot and recruit new talent is crucial because it's a pivotal time for the club at the end of this season when so many high earning contracts expire. Whoever is manager has a great opportunity to put their stamp on the team and will be able to bring in at least 10 new players as players leave and contracts expire of players who are no longer part of the plans. Does Keith have the ability to unearth those lower league gems? Or is someone like Paul Tisdale the best person to be in that position and also bring the best out of the remaining players?

My own view is that Millen will be and probably should be given until the end of the season as long as mid-table form is maintained but he needs to demonstrate he is the man for the job in that time in line with the points above before being allowed to wheel and deal in the transfer market when all the contracts expire in summer next year.

The performance and opportunities he has given to his recruits so far don't inspire too much confidence on that front.

Patience!

Bloody hell we've been patient for over 100 years haven't we?

Getting bumped out of the cup at the first round every year because it's just something for other teams to worry about, not winning a title for over 50 years. Even that rabble down the road has managed it since then (at our expense, it was wonderful to stand there watching that, in Bath!).

Largest city in the country to have won sweet FA.

Don't talk to me about being patient, we've been nothing but.

I am a life long City fan who has been a season ticket holder for the past nine years. I have not written on the forum more than a hand full of times in those 9 years but i feel compelled to do so.

Due to the vagiaries of the August start to the season I attend pre season matches and generally miss the first couple of weeks. However, I generally attend most home matches from september onwards. This year, for the first time since I can remember I cannot motivate myself to take up my seat in the stand when I could be doing other things.. Members of my family and friends who I sit with every week have told me they have been totally demotivated by the quality of our play and the clear lack of direction.

We all know our support is a triumph of hope over reality but this year it feels different. When we were promoted we overperformed in the first year when survival would have been satisfactory. Like most managers, Gary Johnson found it hard to reinvigorate and rebuild the team and so we accepted Keith Millen's temporary appointment as a chance to regroup. Last year we were excited when Steve Coppell was appointed- it showed real ambition and we were very disappointed when it didnt work out. again KM was appointed to steady the ship. in the circmstances, survival was what we needed and we knew it was no-ones fault, The board took a risk which didnt pay off.

This season, however, it is already clear that survival is the best we can hope for. there will be no hoping for an outside chance of promotion or even reaching the play offs, This lack of ambition coupled with a manager who can neither attract good players nor motivate those we have to perform at their best was obvious to most genuine City fans before we kicked a ball in anger this league campaign. It is particularly gauling to see how we have been overtaken by Swansea and, yet again, Cardiff City are showing Premier League ambition.

As a football fan I sometimes aplaud excellent play, even from the opposition. However, i go to football to experience triumph and disaster, pain and pleasure.

It will make no difference to Bristol City if I and my season ticket holding friends and family dont attend another match this campaign. They already have my money but, I think it is fair to say that unless somthing is done to give us a reason to attend, over £2000 we spent on season tickets this year will not be wasted on the 2012/13 campaign.

Nothing to work out, he has a different opinion and offers dicussion on a forum. After all that is what a forum is for. If people cannot handle a discussion on a forum without attacking someone then maybe they haven't got the brain capacity to debate A subject. Better of at the ground shouting abuse at the opposition or heaven forbid our own players so they don't have to put up with a differing opinion.

People need to grow up.

difference of opinions I can handle....no problem.

What I dont like is

1) pure hypocriscy

2) people who post threads solely to "fish"

3) people who when proven are wrong, dont have the decency to hold their hands up and say "fair do, I was wrong about that" even when the facts and results say otherwise

The title "do any City fans have any patience" proves that Robbo covers number 1,2 and 3.

So yes your right, some people do need to grow up...

difference of opinions I can handle....no problem.

What I dont like is

1) pure hypocriscy

2) people who post threads solely to "fish"

3) people who when proven are wrong, dont have the decency to hold their hands up and say "fair do, I was wrong about that" even when the facts and results say otherwise

That's the way you see and like me you are entitled to your opinion.

But ...in my own defence I would argue that my views on Johnson were then and about his management style and things have moved on over the past 18 months. My views on Millen are now. Its like owning a car and you don't like the way handles and then you get another that you do like. Would you call that 'hyprocriscy' as well?

You often say that I 'fish' by which I guess you mean that I purposely post antagonistic threads. Not so. What I do is actually try to stimulate debate but hey, you prefer not to see it that way, probably because you disagree with me most of the time.

When I'm wrong then I have no problem acknowledging that. Many times I've been swayed by well argued alternative views, but once again you prefer not to notice that.

in fairness to tins, dinning was immense on loan for us and we were all urging him to sign him permanently...unfortunately that's when the ***** stopped playing!

Unfortunately also at the time many on this forum alerted posters to Dinnings normal M/O and lifestyle etc. in fact several fans from other clubs came on here and warned us what would happen once he signed a contract and sadly all of these people were correct, the point being it was well known in football circles what he was like once he signed a contract and yet we took a chance.

Where is he working now? Div 2 isn't it?

But according to you I was wrong about him. disapointed2se.gif

He had a successful time here. Until you admit that, people will ridicule you.

City fans will care more about his achievements here, rather than elsewhere - which suits your "argument"

Archived