IGNORED

Millens Reign Or Johnsons Last Six Months

Pete1975Legend

I really wanted Millen to go with GJ, we really needed a fresh start then as I think GJ and Milly did. He's been at the club so long now and everything's gone stale with a stuck in the doldrums feel about the place.

A big clear out is long overdue but I'm not sure it's going to happen any time soon.

It's a mystery to me why he didn't go with Tinman.

We're now left with a lesser GJ, without the charisma, but a familiar face who was a popular choice with the players. whistle.gif

Do we?

I'm sure we've been playing 451.......

Exactly right! People need to realise that Millen has learnt his trade under Gary Johnson. Millens appointment is a disaster and he brings nothing new to the table!

Johnson ran out of ideas, full stop. His time was up. I've said it before...IF Millen really had new ideas and knew the solution, surely as assistant manager he would have been able to do something about it.

The blokes a joke, and this club is turning into a joke. Better football under Millen? It's a myth! It's the most dire, passionless football I've seen for nearly 20 years!

If we go down this year, Lanadown and Sexstone will be solely to blame

Was Millen technically at fault for both reigns? :innocent06:

It is a very interesting point because his name came up a lot during GJ and Tinnions tenure at the club.

Anyway, in answer to the thread question of what has been worse... a huge no brainer.. worse, much much worse under KM.

In fact i would go as far as to say that it is a rather pointless question, sorry for that.

Easily Millen's Reign. At least we scored some goals under GJ.

We took 54 points from our last 35 games under Keith Millen last season, which is almost play-off form, and even then people thought we were underperforming. Mind you, there were some shocking, negative performances, like the 4-0 win at Preston and the 4-1 win at Coventry. Also, as a caretaker manager the previous season, Millen presided over some of the best performances we've seen for a long time. It isn't happening yet this season, but the hysteria on this website, as 'City fans' call for someone who has been a faithful servant to this club over many years to lose his job at the first sign of difficulty, is sickening. Alan Dicks was in the same position - actually worse - in his first days in management but the club stuck by him when the more fickle fans would happily have seen him sacked. This website is by no means representative of the majority of City fans, I'm pleased to say.

Thank you for your kind words.

Trouble is we had more time in those days. I remember not winning a home game until boxing day in the early 70's and then John Galley pounced to beat Cardiff 1-0 in the last minute. Somehow though the fans were more patience.Expectations have been raised. I was allowed to build a young team and to let it flourish. Trouble is I really don't think Keith is the right man.

We took 54 points from our last 35 games under Keith Millen last season, which is almost play-off form, and even then people thought we were underperforming. Mind you, there were some shocking, negative performances, like the 4-0 win at Preston and the 4-1 win at Coventry. Also, as a caretaker manager the previous season, Millen presided over some of the best performances we've seen for a long time. It isn't happening yet this season, but the hysteria on this website, as 'City fans' call for someone who has been a faithful servant to this club over many years to lose his job at the first sign of difficulty, is sickening. Alan Dicks was in the same position - actually worse - in his first days in management but the club stuck by him when the more fickle fans would happily have seen him sacked. This website is by no means representative of the majority of City fans, I'm pleased to say.

wheres the next win going to come from?

Every time we lose or draw all we get is "Do you really expect a result against ......."

With Johnson we were always in the game with millen we are never in the game, the fact that we've lost more home games under millen in 14 months then under johnson in 5 years also escapes people,

This is the worst its been in 20 years for me

What a great post.

The problem is that the Millen critics will simply ignore the facts. Once the knives are out they stay out unfortunately.

impossible to give a decent honest answer either way in all honesty.

I think I'd have to go with the final 12 months of Johnson's reign being worse - He was an experienced manager in charge of his own squad that he'd built and the players he signed at the end like Mairhoefer and Agyemang were panic signings that were bound to be disasters.

We'd go into games expecting us to either throw away points, or just get overall battered, can't count the amount of games we'd spend the last 15-20 mins hanging on for dear life and then give away a late goal to drop points for me, the last 12months of Johnson's reign is up there with the Osman/Pulis era's.

The problem is that the Millen critics will simply ignore the facts.

What about the facts concerning our terrible home form since KM got the job that monkeh highlights above?

It seems the rapidly dwindling band of Millen supporters choose to ignore them. disapointed2se.gif

Agreed. I'm not one for blind support of a failing manager, but the simple FACT is that KM has already proven his abilty to turn things around. As I have already said (somewhat long windedly!) in another post today, the frustration somes of us being inconsistent.

Alan Dicks was a good example, although sadly before my time. Another manager who would have been out on his ear had the "supporters" had their way after a poor start to the season would be one Alex Ferguson! Perhaps sometimes the professionals do know a bit more about running a football club than us!

Gary Johnson was one of the most successful managers in the history of our club. That's an undeniable fact.

His last days were very disappointing - I can't imagine he was too chuffed with how his last season panned out. But all the while there was a hope that he'd work his old magic and get decent performances out of our more limited players and good performances out of our more ambitious signings...notably Hartley and Sno. Didn't happen and he did the decent thing and left.

The difference is that whilst Johnson had considerable credit with the fans built up in a promotion season and a run to Wembley, Keith Millen has vey little.

With respect to the OP this thread has something of the feel of two bald men arguing over a comb....no one would want to watch the back end of the Johnson era - Cardiff, Doncaster - or the shapeless mess that was the opening day of this season.

But the good days with Johnson were amongst the more exciting I can recall since the heady days of the late '70s.

Agreed. I'm not one for blind support of a failing manager, but the simple FACT is that KM has already proven his abilty to turn things around. As I have already said (somewhat long windedly!) in another post today, the frustration somes of us being inconsistent.

Alan Dicks was a good example, although sadly before my time. Another manager who would have been out on his ear had the "supporters" had their way after a poor start to the season would be one Alex Ferguson! Perhaps sometimes the professionals do know a bit more about running a football club than us!

Not too sure that is true. He's had one really good run of games last season, which got all our hopes up that things were improving....

Its been poor since, with the odd good performance here and there.

Anyway, time will tell.

Agreed. I'm not one for blind support of a failing manager, but the simple FACT is that KM has already proven his abilty to turn things around.

Yes, but it's under his management that City keep on finding themselves in a position where 'turning things round' fairly dramatically is a necessity.

wheres the next win going to come from?

Every time we lose or draw all we get is "Do you really expect a result against ......."

With Johnson we were always in the game with millen we are never in the game, the fact that we've lost more home games under millen in 14 months then under johnson in 5 years also escapes people,

This is the worst its been in 20 years for me

Were you there on Saturday? We matched Brighton for the whole match, created a similar number of chances, had the same number of shots on goal and gave away a sloppy goal with ten minutes to go. Even then we could have equalised through Pitman. It ain't good at the moment, but to say its the worst in 20 years is just absurd. Don't you remember Joe Jordan's second spell in charge? The Pulis era? Tinnion completely unable to manage in the 3rd division?

The formation we played on Saturday won 3-1 at Leicester, so why shouldn't we win again? You never know, getting a bit of support from the fans, even those on this forum, might help a bit.

Not too sure that is true. He's had one really good run of games last season, which got all our hopes up that things were improving....

Its been poor since, with the odd good performance here and there.

Anyway, time will tell.

..... But it is proven Riaz.

He turned it around when GJ left = 9 games, 1 defeat = 18 pts

He then turned it around after the shambolic start to last season - 9 games, 1 defeat = 18 points

We then went on a bad run of 11 games after which he turned it around again - 9 games, 1 defeat = 20 points.

Then we only managed 1 win in 10 games

Again, he turned it around with 7 games, 1 defeat = 18 points

Again, we then went 5 without a win, before winning our last 2 games.

This season we had another bad start, before shoring things up and going 3 unbeaten before losing out in a close contest against the team flying at the top of the league.

I scratch my head as much as anyone, why things are SO inconsistent and it is fair to say that he should also shoulder responability when when good runs turn bad!

Im not sure what the answer is, but it is not to always panic and call for the managers head. This is why, in other posts, i've said that the next 3/4 games are pivotel for him. 7 points from the next 3 would leave us in a run of 1 defeat in 7 games.

Can we achieve this? I would say no! But it would not be the first time that he has been able to turn things around!

Were you there on Saturday? We matched Brighton for the whole match, created a similar number of chances, had the same number of shots on goal and gave away a sloppy goal with ten minutes to go. Even then we could have equalised through Pitman. It ain't good at the moment, but to say its the worst in 20 years is just absurd. Don't you remember Joe Jordan's second spell in charge? The Pulis era? Tinnion completely unable to manage in the 3rd division?

The formation we played on Saturday won 3-1 at Leicester, so why shouldn't we win again? You never know, getting a bit of support from the fans, even those on this forum, might help a bit.

I wasn't there saturday and I never brought saturdays defeat and our 4th blank at home up, we won 2-1 at leicester and got lucky with one or two things but it was a well deserved win and at the time I said well done but I hope it doesn't paper over cracks,

Tony Clueless wasn't in charge long enough we were playing crap football but not as bad as it is now ( I remember singing pulis out at one home game) he is such a bad manager now that his team are 5th in the prem and are in europe,

Tinman's first season wasn't too bad his second was awful (didn't he last 9 games?) and was replaced by Johnson who took 3 months to find his feet, yes I remember it, Millen has had 14 months he hasn't shifted any deadwood like Johnson did he has decided on his strongest team like johnson did he hasn't decided on his best formation like johnson did,

Fans are staying away in the thousends people who defended him in the past aren't doing it now nothing has improved things are getting alot worse,

Judge me on results was what he said at the start of the season and thats what many of us has done,

Yes, but it's under his management that City keep on finding themselves in a position where 'turning things round' fairly dramatically is a necessity.

I agree.

As I have said several times above. The inconsistency is hugely frustrating and he must take responsability for the bad runs of form, aswel as credit for the good ones.

FACT is, that during his time as manager, it has been a very mixed bag. Awfull periods and fantastic periods.

What seems lost on many, is that OVERALL, we have not done too badly and he is a young rookie manager.

Is he the man to take us forward? It is a fair question and one that the Anti brigade will all too happily ask.

Would a change make the difference? Who knows! Appointing a new manager is ALWAYS a risk and could make us WORSE off. It could of course improve things. FACT is, we don't know.

I would suggest that, until such point as that risk if taken out of our hands by having nothing to lose i.e. being adrift at the bottom with no signs of recovery within the current set up, then a change of manager mid season tends to FAIL more often that it works. So there should be NO kneejerk reaction and changes should be made after ALOT of consideration!

I wasn't there saturday and I never brought saturdays defeat and our 4th blank at home up, we won 2-1 at leicester and got lucky with one or two things but it was a well deserved win and at the time I said well done but I hope it doesn't paper over cracks,

Tony Clueless wasn't in charge long enough we were playing crap football but not as bad as it is now ( I remember singing pulis out at one home game) he is such a bad manager now that his team are 5th in the prem and are in europe,

Tinman's first season wasn't too bad his second was awful (didn't he last 9 games?) and was replaced by Johnson who took 3 months to find his feet, yes I remember it, Millen has had 14 months he hasn't shifted any deadwood like Johnson did he has decided on his strongest team like johnson did he hasn't decided on his best formation like johnson did,

Fans are staying away in the thousends people who defended him in the past aren't doing it now nothing has improved things are getting alot worse,

Judge me on results was what he said at the start of the season and thats what many of us has done,

This isn't specifically aimed at you monk , but the amount of people who are posting on here saying the same is really mind boggling (and worrying). If you are not attending Ashton Gate , it is not costing you time or money so what have you really got to complain about??

I know people will say "we love City" and "we only want the best" but for those of us who sit through game after game of mediocrity , it gets a bit tedious reading all these complaints from non attendee's. I appreciate there are lots of reason's people dont go and money is tight at the minute , but at £5 per ticket on Saturday , I would rather the ground was full of people criticising the board or manager in person. At least then you've paid your money and the target's of your anger can hear for themselves. So , to all stay aways , get out from behind your keyboards and down to Ashton Gate , and moan like fo0ok if you want!!

This isn't specifically aimed at you monk , but the amount of people who are posting on here saying the same is really mind boggling (and worrying). If you are not attending Ashton Gate , it is not costing you time or money so what have you really got to complain about??

I know people will say "we love City" and "we only want the best" but for those of us who sit through game after game of mediocrity , it gets a bit tedious reading all these complaints from non attendee's. I appreciate there are lots of reason's people dont go and money is tight at the minute , but at £5 per ticket on Saturday , I would rather the ground was full of people criticising the board or manager in person. At least then you've paid your money and the target's of your anger can hear for themselves. So , to all stay aways , get out from behind your keyboards and down to Ashton Gate , and moan like fo0ok if you want!!

:clapping:

Another manager who would have been out on his ear had the "supporters" had their way after a poor start to the season would be one Alex Ferguson!

...who had already had success and proved himself at another club - the only man to break the 'Old Firm's' domination.

Not comparable with KM then...

just to point out glyn I'm a current season ticket holder and brighton was the first home game I've missed in 3 years (i was at a wedding friday about 170 miles away from bristol so just couldn't get back in time),

I'm basing my moans on what I've witnessed over the previous 26 games which is zero passion zero leadership and zero improvement on what johnson did ( we have a far better team now)

Without question i'd rather GJ to be in charge, even during those last 6 months. At least we had a sence of unity within the club and attendances were regularly 3k more. That's no coincidence.

I just can't get behind millen and his passionless way. Dull football, no spark, and no clear pattern of play. I often ask myself 'what are we trying to achieve'?

The final verdict is that I didn't miss a game, home or away under Johnson. Now I'm so bored of millen

Archived