IGNORED

Silence Of The Lambs

kevster3

Maybe you should be MORE critical, because Millen has spent alot more than Johnson did in his first 13 months. Nearly 2 million quid

Limited resources is a myth.

Fully expect you to ignore this post though

Trundle and Noble. Both flair players that Johnson put the shackles on. Add Murray to those two and you have three players capable of changing a game on their own. How many players of that ilk does Millen have? Albert is the only one and he's getting found out in his second Championship season.

Limited resources is a myth is it?

Spot on, Spudski!

I went to the Fans' consultative committee meeting, last week, and listened to a 15 minute monologue by the new Commercial Director, Kevin Smith , where he used terminology such as "brand" and "product". At the end of his spiel I managed to squeeze in a few comments about the team's performance being the most important way of "marketing" the club, and offered a few positive ideas about ways the fans could be made to feel more fully part of the club . I was cut short, and Kev beat a hasty retreat at the end of the meeting, offering no opportunities for fans to talk with him....

Symbolic of the general feeling that there is something fundamentally flawed at the club....

Commercial Director, Kevin Smith seems like another hanger on ripe for the chop. A decent core of players and a capable manager is what the club is now crying out for and not yet another 'spin doctor' (bullshit merchant).

Staying in the championship is the only priority and unlike you I'm confident Millen will ensure that we stay in this league. It won't be pretty but City will win enough games and finish around the 60-63 point mark just like the last three season's.

We have to be patient but unfortunately not all fans are able to be. We are less than 10 games into a new season and from the very first game the critics have had their knives out and stabbed Millen repeatedly. Its a shame because he will do a great job for City given the resources and the time.

On the flip side. He has had a fair amount of time and I'd say the resources at his disposal indicates we should be doing a lot better.

On the flip side. He has had a fair amount of time and I'd say the resources at his disposal indicates we should be doing a lot better.

I'd put the team's capabilities overall at no more than lower mid table - about where we finished last season. Though the 0-1 home defeat against Swinedon suggests relegation. :dunno:

Houston, we have a problem.

He's had just over one season. Not very long imo. How long did it take Coppell to develop the Reading team that reached the PL? How long did it take for Ferguson to build Man United into the team that won their first title? He almost got sacked, the faithful were so impatient.

As for resources - that's a divisive debate and I doubt we'll ever agree on it.

Trundle and Noble. Both flair players that Johnson put the shackles on. Add Murray to those two and you have three players capable of changing a game on their own. How many players of that ilk does Millen have? Albert is the only one and he's getting found out in his second Championship season.

Limited resources is a myth is it?

My point is Johnson spent very little in the first year and got the most out of his resources. Millen has spent nearly 2 million quid and has made us worse.

Johnson signed Noble - he did not inherit him - again for a small sum.

Johnson did inherit Murray, but Millen inherited Maynard and Adomah!

Trundle came later on and Johnson had earned the right to spend that sort of dosh.

If you compare Johnson and Millen - Johnson will win on every aspect, every time.

The fact that Millen does not have these flair players is his own fault - he's had transfer funds - but not spent it very well.

There are some very important points raised in this thread, that i hope don't go unnoticed.

Although SL made some real howlers in his football decision making, he at least did seem more emphatic with the fans. Someone who you felt was part of the fan base. Right now, the board seem to be giving an impression of 'them and us'. Something i've heard said by many fans i've spoken too. Sexstone comes across as someone very aloof...as do the rest of the board. 'Brand' and 'Product' is something they are trying to achieve. Unfortunately this is what football has become. For the Club to move forward in these modern times, they feel that is the way we have to go.

We have spent many years in the lower leagues, you tend to get a more 'Family' feeling with Clubs associated to those leagues.

It seems higher up the Leagues, it becomes more corperate and business orientated...you lose that 'homely family Club feel'.

Maybe it's the price to pay for success.

Did you post the same thing when City lost 0-2 to Carlisle two season's ago?

No because I thought it would be better that the club concentrated its efforts on a promotion push. Beating Swinedon would have been great to rub the noses of the Swinedon lovers in the dirt at the former HTV West studios on Bath Road. HTV West always used to show Swinedon highlights in preference to BCFC and the Gas.

...The fact that Millen does not have these flair players is his own fault - he's had transfer funds - but not spent it very well.

Spot on. I mean, for all the talk of bolstering defence and midfield before the start of the season, Millen opted to buy yet another striker, yet another winger and Lee Johnson's long lost brother. It's a bit like the Fast Show sketch, where the husband was sent to the local shop for bread and milk, but came back with a speedboat and some nail scissors.

Millen IMO, not the board, is entirely to blame for our current predicament.

Stewart

Millen IMO, not the board, is entirely to blame for our current predicament.

Stewart

Yes but, yes but :laughcont: .....it was the board that appointed Millen in the first place. Just because Cop-out proved to be a disaster, why didn't the board appoint another known managerial name who had managed at Championship level or above? We're on the road to nowhere without a proven manager. Keith Millen is a coach not a manager and that fact is becoming more and more obvious.

He's had just over one season. Not very long imo. How long did it take Coppell to develop the Reading team that reached the PL? How long did it take for Ferguson to build Man United into the team that won their first title? He almost got sacked, the faithful were so impatient.

I remember similarly impatient fans when Johnson took over who wanted him out after 5 months. Now we're told just over a season isnt very long.

So were you wrong then or are you wrong now?

I remember similarly impatient fans when Johnson took over who wanted him out after 5 months. Now we're told just over a season isnt very long.

So were you wrong then or are you wrong now?

Good grief, you are sooooooo predictable. It must be some kind of record, a cracked one.

just asking a question you dont seem to want to answer...

were you wrong then or are you wrong now?

try to answer the post and leave out the abuse, theres a good lad.

You are making the assumption that I was wrong at some point but history shows that I was right about Johnson and the future will show that I'm right about Millen.

As for abuse.......................................rofl2br.gif

You are making the assumption that I was wrong at some point but history shows that I was right about Johnson and the future will show that I'm right about Millen.

As for abuse.......................................rofl2br.gif

no you werent right. you were wrong.

we got promoted and to a play off final after you said he was a conference manager and called him inept.

now your saying just over a season isnt long and fans get imapatient too quickly. But you wanted johnson gone after 5 months.

so are you wrong now or were you wrong then?

well done for replying without abuse. I knew you could do it.

You are making the assumption that I was wrong at some point but history shows that I was right about Johnson and the future will show that I'm right about Millen

:laughcont::facepalm:

Do you honestly believe that??

I came to the conclusion ages ago - that you are wind up merchant......

Either that or just VERY thick!

Do you honestly believe that??

I came to the conclusion ages ago - that you are wind up merchant......

Either that or just VERY thick!

Where is Johnson now? How did he do at Posh? Did he not leave City under something of a large cloud?

The City job will the be the biggest job he ever has in football management. Mark my words.

Where is Johnson now? How did he do at Posh? Did he not leave City under something of a large cloud?

The City job will the be the biggest job he ever has in football management. Mark my words.

But he was hugely sucessful HERE and MORE than proved you wrong.

If millen took city up (impossible I know) and missed out on champions league by a point - could I then say I was right about millen??

Did he not leave City under something of a large cloud?

no he left with his chairman by his side and gave an emotional farewell to the fans who wished him well but recognised his time was up.

if he ever came back with another club he'd get a standing ovation for all he did. that doesnt happen for people who leave under a cloud.

Gutting that GJ was forced out of the club, even at the time I was telling numerous people to give him the summer to get rid of dead wood and go again - but no "Steve Coppell or Curbs will take us up..." - Now it's our time to lose because it's bitten us in the arse.

What goes around...

My point is in my opinion the fans that forced him out have put us back and stopped a fun ride.

He's a question, if somebody offered a win tonight against Reading and Gary Johnson named as the new manager tomorrow...would you be happy?

Personally, I'd have him back tomorrow!

Gutting that GJ was forced out of the club, even at the time I was telling numerous people to give him the summer to get rid of dead wood and go again - but no "Steve Coppell or Curbs will take us up..." - Now it's our time to lose because it's bitten us in the arse.

What goes around...

My point is in my opinion the fans that forced him out have put us back and stopped a fun ride.

He's a question, if somebody offered a win tonight against Reading and Gary Johnson named as the new manager tomorrow...would you be happy?

Personally, I'd have him back tomorrow!

if that was the only deal on the table then yes but, since it isn't, then no.

As for resources - that's a divisive debate and I doubt we'll ever agree on it.

I'm not in the 'sack him' camp, but I'd find it hard to convince anyone that he's not already had a good crack at the job ...and there's not really anything tangilble that speaks of progress.

Far from being unsuccessful, Johnson was one game away from being a manager achieving something no manager has done before - gaining promotion in all divisions from the Conference right up to the premier League. With all club teams he has been given time with he has over-achieved at some stages whilst being manager - taking City (with the squad he had) within one game of entering the Premier League was over-achievement. Given time he will achieve with Northampton just as he would have done with Peterborough who were pretty much on course for the play-offs when he left.

no he left with his chairman by his side and gave an emotional farewell to the fans who wished him well but recognised his time was up.

You fell for that?

Johnson was upset with himself for messing up the best football job he'll ever have.. He was kicking himself because he knew it was his own fault that his time was up.

You fell for that?

Johnson was upset with himself for messing up the best football job he'll ever have.. He was kicking himself because he knew it was his own fault that his time was up.

I didnt fall for anything. he was genuinely emotional.

you will of missed it because you were too busy celebrating Bristol City struggling.

Lets face it, unless there is a massive influx of money in the future to buy quality players, regardless of AV, this Club will always be a mid table Championship side with the right manager. You get the odd team that goes up through the play offs like Blackpool and Swansea...but lets be honest how many stay up in the Prem?

What are we having to be patient for?

Surely most City fans realise that is most likely to be our status for many years to come? Flirting with the play offs and flirting/fighting a relegation battle?

We know we will lose, we know we will win some. There will be shock results all along the way.

What we do want...is Entertainement, and a quality of football that is not reminicent to Park Football. The tactics, hoof ball and technical ability of most of our squad is very average at best. Albert is the only one giving some form of desire, passion and quality...but that seems to be fading fast. We've had the likes of Jackie,Cole, Noble, Murray and Trundle in years gone by...they entertained. They may not have been the best players on the park, but they had imagination and flair...something that excited you. Right now, we have a bunch of robbots. That's what it feels like.

You can see the natural instincts of certain players is to do something, but they check and revert to 'Safe' options.

Where has the actual 'Football' gone? It is so boring to watch.

I really don't think all the disinterest is down to purely results.

Fans want to be Entertained...A bit of skill and flair, some passion shown, a crunching tackle, some fighting spirit...even running down a ball upfield...Where has it all gone?

Amen to that :clapping:

Far from being unsuccessful, Johnson was one game away from being a manager achieving something no manager has done before - gaining promotion in all divisions from the Conference right up to the premier League. With all club teams he has been given time with he has over-achieved at some stages whilst being manager - taking City (with the squad he had) within one game of entering the Premier League was over-achievement. Given time he will achieve with Northampton just as he would have done with Peterborough who were pretty much on course for the play-offs when he left.

I think he will have his work cut out at Northhampton generally because the Rugby Club take centre stage have an incredibly strong fan base from the catchment area surrounding which dont particularly have much interest in Football. The Cobblers average 4,500 per home game whereas the Saints regularly fill their 13,500 capacity ground and have plans to expand it.

Archived