IGNORED

Maynard Or Pitman

solo1bc

How many of them were scored at this level? How many were scored at the level below this? It goes without saying the standard of defending is far worse & time on the ball is significantly more in League 2, having the awareness and craft to pick out an opening in the Championship and League 2 is something quite different.

It the same way the quality of service would be lower than in a higher league?

A goal scorer of his class would score goals at any level. Finding the net is a natural, instinctive talent, a gift if you like and Pitman has an abundance of it. He's a very good striker and like others I'm concerned that he'll get fed up not starting and want to move. He would be a serious loss.

Have you not seen the youtube clip? How many of Pitman's goals weren't blinders?

I'll say it again, there's nothing between them except pace.

I totally agree with you and would even go so far as to say as far as the pace issue is concerned, yes Maynard is pacier but if anyone believes that Maynard has genuine pace in the strictest sense of the word they are deluded, we were actually warned about this by Crewe fans when we first bought him.

It the same way the quality of service would be lower than in a higher league?

That doesn't add up at all - if you're 25 yards out in League 2 or 25 yards out in the Championship, your options are most likely to be far more limited in the latter case. If we use your argument about lack of service, you assume everyone who can stick it in the net in League 2 would do so at this level, because 'well, they had worse service so it must balance out...' It's a ridiculous idea.

That doesn't add up at all - if you're 25 yards out in League 2 or 25 yards out in the Championship, your options are most likely to be far more limited in the latter case. If we use your argument about lack of service, you assume everyone who can stick it in the net in League 2 would do so at this level, because 'well, they had worse service so it must balance out...' It's a ridiculous idea.

Your're saying the quality of defending in the lower leagues is inferior to higher up. Quite right.

Following that logic ( that most players lower down lack quality ) its logical to say that the lower league creative players won't be as productive as their counterparts higher up the league which means players like Pitman and Maynard would get less quality service but they both scored plenty of goals for Bournemouth and Crewe.

With better creative players around them in the Championship they will both score goals, which of course they have despite having better defenders up against them.

I'd rather be starting Pitman as he always look a goal threat when on the pitch and sets others up , Maynard this season and only just began trying to help others score. Though whilst we are in the bottom half of the table we need Maynards extra pace for when we play just one up front. I think Pitman will get most of his starts at home unless Maynard leaves us in Jan.

Maynard has more to his game. He's quicker, makes better runs and defends from the front. Pitman is a very good player if you get the ball into the box alot of the time as he is a fox in the box. Maynard can drop deep and wang one in from 30 yards.

You must be joking?! Pitman is constantly losing his man in the box and makes excellent runs whilst Maynard's movement can often be very static and predictable.

I totally agree with you and would even go so far as to say as far as the pace issue is concerned, yes Maynard is pacier but if anyone believes that Maynard has genuine pace in the strictest sense of the word they are deluded, we were actually warned about this by Crewe fans when we first bought him.

Couldn't agree more. I've said countless times that he isn't this super-fast striker yet for some reason a lot of people think he is blessed with genuine pace.

If Pitman can't understand the situation and leaves because he hasn't got his chance then he's not worth the hassle anyway. If Pitman is smart then he'll understand that come January he'll know his standing in the team, he'll either see Maynard go and then know he's first in line with a good chance to prove himself or he'll see Maynard stay and have to decide if he wants to wait for his big chance or move on.

There is no immediate reason to drop our top goalscorer and arguably best talented player, come January things will be a lot clearer and if Maynard moves on then Pitman has no real reason to leave as he'll be given the chance to prove himself.

I personally hope Maynard signs a new deal but if he doesn't then I can see a very good player getting a lot of abuse and hate from our fans which would be a real shame as the lad was thrown straight into a higher standard of football, criticised when he didn't instantly deliver and yet he kept fighting and plugging away and is now a pretty damn good player. he's done a lot for us and I hope whatever his decision is he'll be given the respect he deserves... although I doubt he'll get it.

Your're saying the quality of defending in the lower leagues is inferior to higher up. Quite right.

Following that logic ( that most players lower down lack quality ) its logical to say that the lower league creative players won't be as productive as their counterparts higher up the league which means players like Pitman and Maynard would get less quality service but they both scored plenty of goals for Bournemouth and Crewe.

With better creative players around them in the Championship they will both score goals, which of course they have despite having better defenders up against them.

Alan, I thought we were debating Pitman's finishing ability? It's a lot easier to score when you're not being closed down than if you've got Jose Fonte breathing down your neck. It's that simple.

If Pitman can't understand the situation and leaves because he hasn't got his chance then he's not worth the hassle anyway. If Pitman is smart then he'll understand that come January he'll know his standing in the team, he'll either see Maynard go and then know he's first in line with a good chance to prove himself or he'll see Maynard stay and have to decide if he wants to wait for his big chance or move on.

There is no immediate reason to drop our top goalscorer and arguably best talented player, come January things will be a lot clearer and if Maynard moves on then Pitman has no real reason to leave as he'll be given the chance to prove himself.

I personally hope Maynard signs a new deal but if he doesn't then I can see a very good player getting a lot of abuse and hate from our fans which would be a real shame as the lad was thrown straight into a higher standard of football, criticised when he didn't instantly deliver and yet he kept fighting and plugging away and is now a pretty damn good player. he's done a lot for us and I hope whatever his decision is he'll be given the respect he deserves... although I doubt he'll get it.

Firstly I too hope Maynard signs a new contract. However i'm struggling here. Pitman is not worth the hassle if he doesn't understand the situation. But Maynard is ok even though he has not given any indication of what his intentions are?.

Alan, I thought we were debating Pitman's finishing ability? It's a lot easier to score when you're not being closed down than if you've got Jose Fonte breathing down your neck. It's that simple.

why are we debating his finishing ability. We already know he can score goals at this level.... inside and outside the box

How do we know if he has or hasn't? I find it very hard to think that McInnes is playing him with no knowledge of what his intentions are.

I'd imagine the board let McInnes in on the situation and that he's spoken to both pitman and Maynard and there is some kind of understanding there, if there is not then surely McInnes is off to a bad start as far as man management goes as a good manager must always be in the loop.

Just because the situation is not public to fans and so on it doesn't mean that the backroom staff and players are not aware of the situation and what is in place etc

How do we know if he has or hasn't? I find it very hard to think that McInnes is playing him with no knowledge of what his intentions are.

I'd imagine the board let McInnes in on the situation and that he's spoken to both pitman and Maynard and there is some kind of understanding there, if there is not then surely McInnes is off to a bad start as far as man management goes as a good manager must always be in the loop.

Just because the situation is not public to fans and so on it doesn't mean that the backroom staff and players are not aware of the situation and what is in place etc

OK, so then not only Sexstone but Millen lied to the fans, with their 2 totally different versions. The truth is for one striker it's about money and for the other it's about getting a game.

Maynard is better so you play him until he goes in Jan. Then Pitman will get his chance. Simple.

I your opinion. Not everyone agrees with you.

Will he get his chance? What if Maynard stays to see out his contract or signs a new one?

If Maynard stays then Pitman's only hope is that McInnes plays two strikers. He won't do that until City are at least out of the drop zone and that could be some time yet. Even then Stead and Taylor will be fit again and vying for a place.

A couple of months ago when Maynard was off form and 'appeared' disinterested, Pitman should have been starting and if he had been IMO would probably still be.

Now Maynard is back in form and sticking the ball in the net it is impossible to drop him, particularly as we need his value up. I have said before that I would rather see Pitman in the team until or unless NM signs his contract, but if we want a decent fee in January Maynard needs to be scoring goals.

It's a tricky (though pleasant) problem for the club. Personally, after the end of January, if Maynard is still here and still has not signed I would pick Pitman regardless of NM's form.

One thing is for sure, if we end up losing both of them it will be a cock-up to rank alongside the others of recent years.

Yes we should drop our best player and top goalscorer.. :facepalm:

It would be strange if NM wasn't our top scorer considering he's played up front in every game this season.

Pitman (5 starts, 3 goals) would undoubtedly be City's top scorer if he'd been playing up front instead of NM.

There is no real uncertainty with Maynard now, it'll be a huge surprise if he stays.

City's focus should now move on to ensuring Pitman remains happy - this can only happen by actually playing him and instilling belief in him that we rate him as highly as no doubt some of our competitors do.

Probably losing Maynard is out of our hands, but the same can't be said for Pitman, and it would be a huge shame if he were to feel he must leave AG through lack of opportunities on the pitch.

It would be strange if NM wasn't our top scorer considering he's played up front in every game this season.

Pitman (5 starts, 3 goals) would undoubtedly be City's top scorer if he'd been playing up front instead of NM.

There is no real uncertainty with Maynard now, it'll be a huge surprise if he stays.

City's focus should now move on to ensuring Pitman remains happy - this can only happen by actually playing him and instilling belief in him that we rate him as highly as no doubt some of our competitors do.

Probably losing Maynard is out of our hands, but the same can't be said for Pitman, and it would be a huge shame if he were to feel he must leave AG through lack of opportunities on the pitch.

Good post, Nogbad.

The trouble is, although I agree with you, if we don't play Maynard now we resign ourselves to losing him for very little if anything at all.

We just have to hope that McIness 'et al' can either accomodate the two or keep Pitman happy until February. By then, unless Maynard has signed his contract with us, BP has to be first choice.

Just out of interest, has Pitman actually ever indicated that he's unhappy with the current situation?

Also, anyone know how long his contract is? I mean, even if he was unhappy, he can't just leave.

Well DM alluded to the fact that he was aware that Pitman was not enamored by the situation about 2/3 weeks ago and to be honest who could blame him.

No reason to change a winning team, But ever since Pitman arrived I have thought him a better striker than Maynard. He is far sharper around the box, makes better runs, his anticipation and time to react is better and he brings other players in to play more than NM. He can also head the ball. Something which is almost completely lacking from NM's game. He reminds me of a raw and developing Bob Taylor. With the right service I really believe he could get a hatful of goals.

That said, there is no doubt that NM is a quality striker and can conjure up a goal out of virtually nothing. It's the rest of his play which has not been as sharp as it ought be which has been worrying. So I was very pleased with his second at Millwall because he actually read the play and reacted to Albert's cross quicker than the defence. This sort of thing has been missing from his game for a long time.

I don't know, but I do wonder if NM works harder in training than BP which is bound to catch the manager's eye.

We've got two top strikers, and I would be delighted if we can keep them both, and keep them both happy. But I won't worry too much if NM decides to leave should the right offer come along.

Good post, Nogbad.

The trouble is, although I agree with you, if we don't play Maynard now we resign ourselves to losing him for very little if anything at all.

We just have to hope that McIness 'et al' can either accomodate the two or keep Pitman happy until February. By then, unless Maynard has signed his contract with us, BP has to be first choice.

Agreed.

The problem is Pitman has already proved himself (13 goals last season) at this level.

For the sake of his career he would have been hoping for an increased number of starts this season, along of course with a higher goal return, and there's no reason why he wouldn't have been looking very realistically at around 20.

With a place amongst the division's top scorers established he would be similarly on the radar of PL clubs as NM is now.

As it is he's completely stagnated with very few opportunities to show the football world what a talent he is, which must be hugely frustrating.

I've no doubt other Championship will show interest in Pitman if he continues to languish on our bench and there will be little temptation for him to stay if he's playing so infrequently for City.

It's worth remembering that Maynard probably saved his place in the City team with that last gasp goal at Barnsley (when he was literally just about to be replaced by Pitman) having missed several good chances earlier in the game.

He's been allowed to play through some pretty bad ( well, ineffective) form when I think Pitman should have been preferred.

Pitman himself will be left wondering how exactly he is to get sustained first team action when neither Maynard's poor form or reluctance to commit himself to the club opened the door for him.

He may feel NM is the golden boy at BCFC who can do little wrong and it is his turn to be appreciated as the golden boy elsewhere.

I don't know, but I do wonder if NM works harder in training than BP which is bound to catch the manager's eye.

Yeh, I was thinking exactly the same.

I remember a Bournemouth fan posting on here when we signed him that Pitman can be temperamental and been known to throw his toys out of the pram when things weren't going his way.

Well, things aren't going his way just now and maybe, just maybe his reaction to being left out has not gone down well with the new set up. That said, McInnes did say in an interview that Brett ( paraphrase) ''is one of those who that can't hide his frustration at not starting''. Obviously McInnes knows how tough it must be for Pitman just now and it'll be a test of his man-management skills to keep Pitman happy.

But ever since Pitman arrived I have thought him a better striker than Maynard. He is far sharper around the box, makes better runs, his anticipation and time to react is better and he brings other players in to play more than NM. He can also head the ball. Something which is almost completely lacking from NM's game.

He reminds me of a raw and developing Bob Taylor. With the right service I really believe he could get a hatful of goals.

Summed up nicely FR, and I like the comparison to Bob Taylor.

My own feeling about Pitman is he's the most natural goalscorer we've had for 20 years and could turn out to be our most potent striker since Super Bob himself, we just need to give him the chance.

Just out of interest, has Pitman actually ever indicated that he's unhappy with the current situation?

Also, anyone know how long his contract is? I mean, even if he was unhappy, he can't just leave.

"I was just delighted to get some time on the pitch. It has been frustrating; I want to play in every game but the lads have been doing well." Brett Pitman

Derek Mcinnes

"Brett has been frustrated [not playing] and he can't hide that but I was delighted with him. When you get Brett on the pitch he's a goal threat."

read into that what you will but I think if come Jan Pitman hasn't started many and Maynard doesn't go but still doesn't sign a contract I think would may Pitman wanting to leave. Having said that I think if Kilkenny gets injured Pitman would be a ideal replacement for him. He doesn't have to track back as much if in 4-5-1 brilliant foot on him, knows how to bring others into play and likes to shoot!

"I was just delighted to get some time on the pitch. It has been frustrating; I want to play in every game but the lads have been doing well." Brett Pitman

Derek Mcinnes

"Brett has been frustrated [not playing] and he can't hide that but I was delighted with him. When you get Brett on the pitch he's a goal threat."

read into that what you will but I think if come Jan Pitman hasn't started many and Maynard doesn't go but still doesn't sign a contract I think would may Pitman wanting to leave. Having said that I think if Kilkenny gets injured Pitman would be a ideal replacement for him. He doesn't have to track back as much if in 4-5-1 brilliant foot on him, knows how to bring others into play and likes to shoot!

Agree with this apart from being a ideal replacement for Kilkenny?!! Never in a million years!

Archived