IGNORED

Official: Richard Foster Signs (Update - Skip Past The First 180 Posts, It's A Done Deal!)

Rocky

Exactly!

Let's never post our opinion's because we don't really know and everyone should only say let's wait and see. This forum would be interesting then :P The forum is a snapshot of opinion, let's wait and see is absolutely right, but very dull.

Most St Johnstone and Scottish football fans could have told you Stephen Pearson was a very good player who just had a bad time with injuries. He played for the Old Firm when it actually meant something and was excellent for Scotland for a reasonable spell. If City get him back to that sort of form they have a top class player and McInnes has done really well. You can dig up all the facts you want about Foster and what he's achieved (in answer to one of the earlier questions - our left back has played around 20 times for Scotland and been sold for transfer fees totalling around £4 million) but pay attention to what those that have watched him have to say. I like McInnes a lot and was a massive fan of his but this is a brutal signing and I can't for the life of me understand his thinking. Kirk Broadfoot is an infinitely better player. Aberdeen are a dreadful team but they still have six or seven players players at least than Foster.

Any idea why, if he is so awful, Aberdeen haven't found a suitable replacement over the past 7/8 years?

Also, how on earth did he find himself starting 11 games for Rangers last season?

There must be a reason if you see what I mean

Hmm because Rangers are shit? Because Rangers are on the verge of bankruptcy and cant afford anyone else?

He is a truly terrible football player though, you will soon realise that if he gets a start.

You know at all levels you always get those players who are constantly scowling, why try to do too much and make an arse of it, who looks around and starts waving his arms and shouting when he himself makes a mistake that costs a goal. Well look no further, you have just signed the biggest culprit of them all.

It sums up football that someone with his limited abilities is able to make a living out of the game.

Good luck.

Let's never post our opinion's because we don't really know and everyone should only say let's wait and see. This forum would be interesting then :P The forum is a snapshot of opinion, let's wait and see is absolutely right, but very dull.

There's nothing wrong with posting your opinion. But why post somebody else's?

I suspect you will find his unpopularity down to Rangers/Aberdeen hatred. Not his ability. Don't be fooled. A lot of fans weren't happy he came back after Ibrox loan.

Getting that from reading this thread, they seemed more concerned about his loyalty to Rangers than any ability he might have.

There's nothing wrong with posting your opinion. But why post somebody else's?

Well others opinions are anecdotal evidence and information which people may find interesting? Not many people would post someone else's opinion as their own. Rather they say, based on what I read, I think this.

I never understand the mentality of essentially posting "I have nothing to say on this subject" What's the point of posting, "No opinion"? It's a perfectly valid opinion having no opinion, I just don't see the point in expressing it, what value does it add to the discussion, information and debate? If that is the only thing you say, if you go, i don't think you can judge because of this this and this it adds value, saying I have no idea, doesn't. IMO of course! But wrong thread for this :P

I'm just looking forward to the Aberdeen version of Foster hoofing it on one side and McAllister on the other...

Its funny, thats exactly what the derby fans said about pearson yet he has been excellent.

Maybe thats what happens to you when you play for a crap team? You just get dragged down and a move to a decent side coupled with a good manager, brings out the best in you.

At least the lad has ambition......

Any need to abuse visiting fans?

My Input.

Ricky Foster, started his aberdeen career as a striker, wasnt any good and moved to a winger due to his pace. Crossing ability has never been that great, can be good, can be crap - alot of wingers are like that. Moved to right back and then to left back where he had his best season for us during out uefa cup run season, has played at centre half, but at 5'9 he didnt win much in the air. Since that season 07/08, I have never thought he was as good.

Has had arguments with managers, was dropped by calderwood for calling him stupid, shipped out to rangers, according to some because he was seen as disruptive!

I never liked him before he joined rangers and since he has came back, and made captain?!?! he has shown, no leadership skills, alot of shouting and running to the ref but never acting and playing like a captain! His passing has been shocking lately, almost so much so that when he gets the ball you can guarantee that it will not end up at a red shirted player, usually the first opposition player sticks out a leg and will block it.

Apart from pace, if he looses that, then he will be nothing. I am glad to see the back of him.

For 250k, some are happy, some are not... the ones who are not, is because he had 18months left onhis contract and was the captain. I think its great buisiness for us.

And just because he played for rangers in europe does not mean he is any good. There are alot of players who have won league titles and played in europe but are crap. He is one! They would have won the league without him, its not like he was a pivotal part of the gers team!

It looks like the Rangers loan move went down well.

http://www.dailyreco...86908-23256023/

And when you consider Del has Rangers connections as well, it's hardly surprising some Aberdeen fans may be a little bitter...

More positive comments from Rangers fans on that link though

no-user-image.gif houstonisblue wrote: I actually think Foster was good for Rangers, a bit of a shaky start which is to be expected playing for the champions, but he had some good performances especially in Europe however its unlikely he'd come back as he is on a long contract with Aberdeen, pity.

To those Scots among us, have you always had this opinion of Foster or is a lot of this based on how bad he's been this season? On the odd occasions I've watched Aberdeen play I've always thought he looked good, though I can count on one hand te number of Aberdeen games I've watched in the last couple of years

To those Scots among us, have you always had this opinion of Foster or is a lot of this based on how bad he's been this season? On the odd occasions I've watched Aberdeen play I've always thought he looked good, though I can count on one hand te number of Aberdeen games I've watched in the last couple of years

Never liked him, never will. But he has been shocking lately!

Hello Bristol!

I think I can speak on behalf of all Aberdeen fans and say that Ricky Foster (he prefers to be called Ricky not Richard) will be an excellent signing for you and we will be devastated by his loss. £250,000 would be excellent value for our magnificent captain and clearly Mr McInnes has his sensible head switched on. His 15 games for Rangers last season showed him to be a revelation, and has made him into a world class player as he played in the Champions League. Ricky also has great captaincy qualities, such as shouting loud and looking quite angry and leading by example.

Really hoping that the deal falls through, lots of love, The DT team.

Hello Aberdeen. May we now have your scores for Ricky Foster performance please.

I see you are deploying the Nicky Hunt argument and talking of which, do you want to have a right back, name of Nicky (doesn't like Nicholas) Hunt?

He's strong in the tackle, good in the air and can pass his way out of a crisp packet. Rarely goes missing, although he did lose his way between Bolton and Bristol.

He's played in the Premiershit and once marked Ronaldo (although Fergie made them take the felt tip pens off Nicky afterwards).

We'd normally expect £250000 but there is a once-only special deal of £0 available this January. Not to be missed!

Just a bit of info on him at Rangers, it was a season long loan, an was nowhere near a regular. 19 starts, 5 sub appearances.

A bit of info for you; their fans rated him during that period.

He seems to have lost his way this season, that much is very clear from Aberdeen fans. Though I notice they haven't commented on what he was like prior to going to Rangers??

A bit of info for you; their fans rated him during that period.

He seems to have lost his way this season, that much is very clear from Aberdeen fans. Though I notice they haven't commented on what he was like prior to going to Rangers??

One good season and one good season only!

It's a funny old game...

Having watched City for a fair few years, and endured some miserable times (drawing with Corinthian Casuals away at Dulwich Hamlets ground was not a high point!)it can be pretty frustrating to look at this forum. Players come in they are crap or Messiah before they have done their boots up.

However, todays signing of Ricky Foster has attracted me not because of his incredible ability / lack of ability (delete as appropriate) but rather because of this piece in the evening times

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/ricky-s-city-switch-1.1142605?

My team, Bristol City, has out bid Rangers in a deal worth somewhere in the region of £250K! Not Gordano Valley Rangers, not Stafford Rangers, or even Queens Park Rangers, but bloody Glasgow Rangers! A side who have played 51 seasons in Europe! A side that have had the likes of Kanchelskis, Gazza, De Boer playing for them and whose average attendance this season is over 45,000..that in a league where the lowest average attendance is just 3677..

This says two things to me

1) It is, despite assurances elsewhere, the best time in this football clubs history for 30 odd years and the Championship is a great league to be involved with.

2) Scottish Football is, I am afraid, in deep sh*t. If the 1st/2nd (again, delete as appropriate) biggest side in Scotland cant out finance us (and I would assume this was wages as well) then for how long is it sustainable?

Anyway, cant wait for the next game now, feel like I support Real Madrid..although comparisons with other Spanish sides can come back to bite you on the arse..so I have heard...

Just a bit of info on him at Rangers, it was a season long loan, an was nowhere near a regular. 19 starts, 5 sub appearances.

True, but considering Rangers played 55 games in total last season that works out as having appearing in 44% of their total games, including 7 of 10 European matches.

The Teddy Bears I know (one text me this lunch with "big del in for foster? bargain for yooz there") rated him highly, more so than Broadfoot. Much more forward thinking that the aforementioned, which pleased many.

Considered in context with another player (Park Ji-Sung) in team from the UK who won their league last year (Man U) he played 28 games, about 45%. Season before Park Ji-Sung played 26 of 60, 43%.

Not in a million am i directly comparing, just pointing out that in big squads some players who are more than half decent don't always play every game.

Doubt Foster is a world beater, but we can't expect to sign 'complete' players at our level or in our situation.

Foster might have flaws but all our squad members do in some way. Sounds like he took his chance at the Gers and ran with it; lets hope he does similar here. Fresh start might be what he needs and what helps us.

Post#29 mentions prior to going to Rangers.

Nobody cared when he went, in fact a lot of people wandered why Rangers would want him as he wasn't setting the heather on fire with us. The main problem we had was that we were getting a crocked (as you will know) Andrius Velicka in return :crying:

Archived