IGNORED

Official: Richard Foster Signs (Update - Skip Past The First 180 Posts, It's A Done Deal!)

Rocky

Have either of your full backs recently played Champions league football or for one of the Old Firm?

250 games for Aberdeen over 6/7 seasons (I assume all in the SPL?), on loan at Rangers last season playing Champions League and their fans rate him?

Not sure I quite believe the suggestions that he's shite.

Not a single Derby fan rated Pearson and he turned out alright...I at least see a few positives for Foster so remain optimistic he'll fit in.

If he has pace then him and Albert could cause the opposition problems down the right...

I tend to agree with you. His career looks more than reasonable to me, which would lead me to think that he must be a reasonably consistent performer.

How many of our current squad would get in the Rangers team, yet he went there on loan, won the SPL and played Champions League.

Could be a really good signing.

Aberdeen fan here.

All i can say is after hearing this news, my weekends plans have completely changed from a quiet one, to one of celebration.

Some fans cant stand Foster because of his "Rangers year". He actually did pretty well there.

I personally cant stand him, because before he went away to them, he was very mediocre on a good day, and since he has came back, he has been even worse.

He has cost us several games this season single handedly, none more so than against Celtic and Motherwell, valuable points to a team like us this season. Since he has became captain, he has also became prone to thinking that gives him the right to blame every mistake he makes on someone else.

Prime example of this was at Inverness on xmas eve, where Fosters mistake and Fosters mistake alone cost us a goal, yet he berated our other centre half who was completely faultless, and action which saw Foster booed by his own fans.

All in all, i think probably 95% of Aberdeen fans will be over the moon at this. He has been hailed as our worst captain ever, and After a certain Mark Kerr, that takes some beating.

Saying all that, i think he would actually do alright at a team like Bristol. He went to Rangers and did ok. At Aberdeen, he had the big man mentality. Big fish in a small pond. Thought it was all about him. Once he goes to a much bigger club, with a manager like McInnes, that mentality wouldnt last 2 minutes.

He can be an effective player. His speed is his main attribute. Lightning quick when he wants to be. We have played him predominantly left back this season, but he cant defend worth of toffee. (see back to losing games/goals). If he cant do it in the spl, will he be able to do it in the championship?

Anyway, since you were in the unknown about him, i thought an Aberdeen fans view would be welcomed. Were chuffed with the £250k, and the fact the armband can now go to someone worthy of it.

:drunk2:

Its funny, thats exactly what the derby fans said about pearson yet he has been excellent.

Maybe thats what happens to you when you play for a crap team? You just get dragged down and a move to a decent side coupled with a good manager, brings out the best in you.

At least the lad has ambition......

History of dressing room bust ups, including previous managers at Aberdeen. Not afraid to tell his own fans to eff off. Aberdeen fans really hate him presently, because of actions on pitch and attitude.

One of many threads on him from the Aberdeen forums (where opinion was split)

No end product in terms of crossing, other than speed, appears to have no other redeeming qualities according to Aberdeen fans

I'd say judge him if he joins, the dressing room stuff and attitude is something we could do with as we need some fighting spirit. McInnes is hardly a walk over and players have described him as a no nonsense manager, I doubt he'll sign anyone he can't control.

Sounds like he will fit in well here. I mean the Dons fans openly boo him when he plays for them because they think he is so poor!

Copmeing here will be like a home from home.

Welcome to Bristol Foster BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

What do you mean? That reads like it's a done deal.

Interesting the comments from Aberdeen fans there are that £250k is cheap for him...obviously some rate him.

Most Comments I have read say 250k snap their hand off, "I'll drive him down there myself for that price"

Most can't believe they are even getting a fee, apparently the Dons never sell players they normally head out on frees!

Well lets hope a change of scenery is what he needs. Most fans are not wrong. I can't think of many players who have come here and have done well after being berated by the selling clubs fans. Marvin Elliott aside, but he just grew stale, I can't think of one

Hello Bristol!

I think I can speak on behalf of all Aberdeen fans and say that Ricky Foster (he prefers to be called Ricky not Richard) will be an excellent signing for you and we will be devastated by his loss. £250,000 would be excellent value for our magnificent captain and clearly Mr McInnes has his sensible head switched on. His 15 games for Rangers last season showed him to be a revelation, and has made him into a world class player as he played in the Champions League. Ricky also has great captaincy qualities, such as shouting loud and looking quite angry and leading by example.

Really hoping that the deal falls through, lots of love, The DT team.

Hi guys. I just want to offer some first hand facts about Ricky Foster. Having been an Aberdeen season ticket holder for the last 8 years and before that too I feel qualified to inform.

The lad that said he has pace but that's about it... spot on. Although I'd say his marking is a strong point of his also.

There has been a lot of animosity towards him this season but absolutely NOT because he was on loan at Rangers. Most of the fans welcomed him back happily because we thought we were getting a player who'd improved whilst at Rangers. This is most certainly not the case unfortunately. This season alone you'd struggle to count on only one hand the number of goals and points that he has single handedly cost us by f*cking it up. Letting the ball bounce or getting caught in possession.

Leader? Don't make me laugh. He's an utterly terrible captain. Every time he's cost us a goal or made an error (and this season there have been many) he's proceeded to scream and shout at all his team mates and has simply refused to accept responsibility for his mistakes as any good captain should do. The truth is that Kari Arnason has been our unofficial captain since publicly criticizing a performance Aberdeen (and Foster) put in against Motherwell at Fir Park. Kari has led the team through games whilst Foster has continued to incite heart attacks.

And who said "Scottish grit"? You must be joking! Gritty is probably the last world I would ever use to describe Ricky Foster.

Yes he's played over 200 times for us but the facts and youtube videos are there to prove he's been a complete disaster this season (he should never have been given the captaincy) and that's why we're all glad to see the back of him. Absolutely nothing to do with playing for Rangers. We've had many players who've played for Rangers who've also been welcomed (back) to Pittodrie.

You guys just have to hope Derek gets the best out of him and that he rediscovers the "form" he had in his bit part role at Rangers. Best of luck to you all.

May the lord have mercy on your souls. ;)

Out.

We are at the bottom end of the championship, in a relegation battle and still fans think that top players will be fighting to come and play forn Bristol City.

Whebn he came here, quite a few St Johnstone fans commented that McInnes had proved capable of taking relatively average players, getting the best out of them and producing a team that performed better than the sum of it's parts. Gary Johnsone did the same when we came up into the championship. I think we need to trust McInnes judgement in being able to see a player and how he will fit into his plans at BCFC.

As for fans of the player's present club slagging him off, then there is a long track record of this being the case - McIndoe, Marvin Elliott, and currenlty Pearson spring to mind - so let's hope this one is just as bad!

Aberdeen fan here.

in all, i think probably 95% of Aberdeen fans will be over the moon at this. He has been hailed as our worst captain ever, and After a certain Mark Kerr, that takes some beating.

Saying all that, i think he would actually do alright at a team like Bristol. He went to Rangers and did ok. At Aberdeen, he had the big man mentality. Big fish in a small pond. Thought it was all about him. Once he goes to a much bigger club, with a manager like McInnes, that mentality wouldnt last 2 minutes.

He can be an effective player. His speed is his main attribute. Lightning quick when he wants to be. We have played him predominantly left back this season, but he cant defend worth of toffee. (see back to losing games/goals). If he cant do it in the spl, will he be able to do it in the championship?

Anyway, since you were in the unknown about him, i thought an Aberdeen fans view would be welcomed. Were chuffed with the £250k, and the fact the armband can now go to someone worthy of it.

Pretty mixed appraisal.

Sounds like he has a 'Billy Big Bollocks' complex but can be a useful player. There are some powerful personalities in our current squad. Kilkenny, Jamo and our current captain Louis Carey to name just three. He won't get away with anything other than a bit of humility should he join us. Down here he'll be a little fish in a big pond.

Most Comments I have read say 250k snap their hand off, "I'll drive him down there myself for that price"

Most can't believe they are even getting a fee, apparently the Dons never sell players they normally head out on frees!

Well lets hope a change of scenery is what he needs. Most fans are not wrong. I can't think of many players who have come here and have done well after being berated by the selling clubs fans. Marvin Elliott aside, but he just grew stale, I can't think of one

Pearson?

Looking objectively at his career stats he can't be as bad as the Aberdeen fans are making out and Rangers fans seem to have an entirely different view of him, playing at a higher level just last season.

Let's wait and see how he performs eh?

Hi all, West Country-based Aberdeen fan here.

Ricky has pace and he's s good man-marker, but that's about it in my humble opinion. He's not a leader and his passing is atrocious. Most eyebrows were raised when he was made captain this season, and those concerns were mostly well-founded.

His acceleration and speed get him out of tricky situations, but he's usually caused those situations himself...

You can read most Dons fans' opinions here: http://boards.footym...15604257&page=1

And here: http://boards.footym...&mid=2115603161

I'm available to translate if necessary. :rolleyes:

Come on you Reds

Pearson?

Looking objectively at his career stats he can't be as bad as the Aberdeen fans are making out and Rangers fans seem to have an entirely different view of him, playing at a higher level just last season.

Let's wait and see how he performs eh?

You say Pearson, I counter i remeber another player coming in on loan, looking good, then signed his contract and gave up, I think we all know who I am talking about. I hold judgment on all loan signings, they prove nothing, only when they sign permenantly can yo really tell.

Others say McIndoe, McIndoe never got slated for being a poor footballer, just that he had a attitude problems and causing friction within the squad. Well low and behold he was good for us, but also caused a few issues within the squad.

Yes sometimes you can tell it is sour grapes because someone is losing a good player, but look back through Dons forums, before they ever knew he was coming to us, and there is where you can find what people think without the haze of getting angry because they are losing a player. the majority do not rate the guy.

Hi all, West Country-based Aberdeen fan here.

Ricky has pace and he's s good man-marker, but that's about it in my humble opinion. He's not a leader and his passing is atrocious. Most eyebrows were raised when he was made captain this season, and those concerns were mostly well-founded.

His acceleration and speed get him out of tricky situations, but he's usually caused those situations himself...

You can read most Dons fans' opinions here: http://boards.footym...15604257&page=1

And here: http://boards.footym...&mid=2115603161

I'm available to translate if necessary. :rolleyes:

Come on you Reds

Any idea why, if he is so awful, Aberdeen haven't found a suitable replacement over the past 7/8 years?

Also, how on earth did he find himself starting 11 games for Rangers last season?

There must be a reason if you see what I mean

Also picked up man of the match on his champions league debut if im not mistaken.

He may of, but he went there to cover for the other guy we were supposedly looking at and is garbage, old club/Broadfoot. Yet i think he only made 11 appearences for the Gers, so not entirely sure if he was classed as good enough for them. Guess you need to ask Gers fans about that.

Any idea why, if he is so awful, Aberdeen haven't found a suitable replacement over the past 7/8 years?

Also, how on earth did he find himself starting 11 games for Rangers last season?

There must be a reason if you see what I mean

That he started only about a fifth of Rangers' games last season when they were massively cost-cutting speaks volumes.

As for the MotM question - every dog has his day... :laughcont:

He's not that bad - the pace comment is crucial because it is such a vital component of modern football, and I do emphasise that he utilises it well when defending.

His passing is truly awful though! His crossing is not so bad though.

He's just not reached the level many of us thought he'd reach at Aberdeen - maybe he will do it at BC.

Foster will be a quality signing for City, attacking right back who can also play left back or on either wing - didn't get much chance at Ibrox. Strangely didn't get much of a chance although looked good in Europe, only criticism is he occasionally looked suspect defensively in the SPL. Main attribute he has is his pace, been driven out of Aberdeen by the locals who feel he has committed treason by playing for Scotland's champions.

That's him from 5.15-5.20 - what a pass to set up the goal which kept us in Europe that season.

Also scored a brilliant goal (25 yarder) in Rangers v Aberdeen which ended 2-1 Rangers, can't find a video of it although here's the match report:

Aberdeen 1 - 2 Rangers

As usual, Rangers fans have an IQ of around zero.

"Brilliant goal" - dreadful fumble by your goalie more like - it even says that in the BBC report you quoted!

For those of you down south that don't know it, Rangers FC will likely be forced into administration shortly as they have been avoiding paying taxes on players wages for around 10 years by the use of some dubious "trusts". No-one up here would miss them (except maybe Hearts)

Anyway, on Foster, mixed opinions from Dons fans. His pace covers in a lot of situations, but he is prone to the odd error a few times a season. He started off as a winger, before Jimmy Calderwood converted him into a defender. I think most Dons fans would agree he puts in a shift. I'll be interested to see what the actual fee is, as there are conflicting reports up here.

Bristol City seem to be getting fond of signing Scottish players - Scott Murray, Jamie McAllister etc...

That he started only about a fifth of Rangers' games last season when they were massively cost-cutting speaks volumes.

As for the MotM question - every dog has his day... :laughcont:

He's not that bad - the pace comment is crucial because it is such a vital component of modern football, and I do emphasise that he utilises it well when defending.

His passing is truly awful though! His crossing is not so bad though.

He's just not reached the level many of us thought he'd reach at Aberdeen - maybe he will do it at BC.

Thanks

And finally, a long-shot...but can he take set pieces?

Think about it thou, how many players in our team would you hate to see leave if a 'reasonable' offer came in? I would only hate Adomah and probably Fontaine leaving in this case, and thats because our team are currently in the relegation area and some players havnt been consistent enough over the past 2 years.

So for Aberdeen, a team who are languishing mid table and openly admit to money troubles, who many of their team would they hate to lose too? Probably explains why so many people are happy to see him leave, but that dosnt mean hes a bad player. Just possibly another that needs moving on to 'freshen' up and maybe a change of scenary from being booed/heckled by his own fans for playing for a bigger team in Scotland.

Some of their fans have said how he gave his all for the shirt, had good leadership qualities but wasnt captain material and was a poor passer of the ball at times. He's also been converted from a midfield to defence and is very versatile........Does he sound like a fast version of Bradley Orr to anyone else??

Also picked up man of the match on his champions league debut if im not mistaken.

That said ... Cotterill's game on tv that got us a 2 million packet, Spoule's hat trick against Rangers ..... i could go on, every player has a good game every now and then .., consistancy is the key.. Wait and see i guess

Archived