IGNORED

Looks Like Portsmouth Are Deep In The Brown Stuff...

Cider red

Think the Administrator should take A LOT more responsibility instead of just saying "we've found someone who has the cash....on paper", you check them out.

That should be part of the Admininistrators' task to check out the potential owner IMO......it's easy to say "I have the cash" but actually putting it up is another question altogether.

BCAGFC

The situation at Pompey is a farce. They have been seriously let down in the last 5 years by Redknapp and Gaydamak.

Signing players on promises of bonuses with huge wages and signing on fees, the likes of Defoe, Campbell, Crocuh, Muntari, Distin, Johnson, Kranjcar all far too big a player to be playing at Pompey. Reports of players being on £80,000 a week in the Championship and refusing to play.....

I've got an attachment to them as the in-laws are season ticket holders, but I'd still feel that for any supporter of another club to say they wish them to go bust isn't right.

Without question, those that have got them into this mess; need to have some form of punishment. Personal fine, not allowed to be associated with football again. The club itself needs to be held to account, as in relaity they could have gained an advanatge by signing 'good' players beyond their means. A points deduction appears the only way to sanction the club for this.

But to say another club should be closed down is an appauling thing to say.

You and I would have totally 0% effect on how our board run things. At the moment our board and chair appear to be attempting to ensure we don't go down this route; which of course is the right thing to try to do. However as a fan, you will have no impact on how your board decide to finance the club. You wouldn't even have a say in who owns your club.... Scary.

Deduct points yes, close down no

I agree the fact that the situation at Pompey has gone on long enough and perhaps they haven't learnt from the past but it doesn't change several facts. they owe fractions of what these so called big clubs owe to the banks i.e Man U and Liverpool but no action is ever taken against them, And do you not ever wonder why?

I for one would hate to see such a club be liquidated (Have family who support them) purely for the fact the fans there have had to deal with so much and still pay to see them play week in week out. I think a fair way of going about it is making them start from scratch like Boston had to. Give them a points deduction wipe their squad and start a fresh seems the only way they will learn without getting rid of a long standing club.

Club Statement

http://www.portsmout...ement-3049.aspx

Is this the end game for Pompey?

Looks like they've got until February 20th to demonstrate that they're going to be able to meet their obligations to the tax man or it'll be administration I imagine. In the short term though, I strongly suspect that there'll be a fire sale in te last couple of days of the transfer window and while it's a touch vulgar to pick over the bones of a club in peril (not that I have that much sympathy for them as a club though I feel sorry for the fans), which of their players would you like to see at the gate? That Pearce has always struck me as half decent and Futacs has looked decnt in highlights

The other thing to consider is if Portsmouth went out of business, would all previous results be scrapped or would everyone who have or will play them be awarded a win? We might lose our point gained at their place if it's the former and if it's te latter, donny, forest, Millwall and cov will all have another 3 points on their total

Looks like they've got until February 20th to demonstrate that they're going to be able to meet their obligations to the tax man or it'll be administration I imagine. In the short term though, I strongly suspect that there'll be a fire sale in te last couple of days of the transfer window and while it's a touch vulgar to pick over the bones of a club in peril (not that I have that much sympathy for them as a club though I feel sorry for the fans), which of their players would you like to see at the gate? That Pearce has always struck me as half decent and Futacs has looked decnt in highlights

The other thing to consider is if Portsmouth went out of business, would all previous results be scrapped or would everyone who have or will play them be awarded a win? We might lose our point gained at their place if it's the former and if it's te latter, donny, forest, Millwall and cov will all have another 3 points on their total

All the results against Pompey would be void and only 2 teams would go down.

But it willl not happen they will get saved right at the death and probally avoivd a points deduction to boot.

The situation at Pompey is a farce. They have been seriously let down in the last 5 years by Redknapp and Gaydamak.

Signing players on promises of bonuses with huge wages and signing on fees, the likes of Defoe, Campbell, Crocuh, Muntari, Distin, Johnson, Kranjcar all far too big a player to be playing at Pompey. Reports of players being on £80,000 a week in the Championship and refusing to play.....

I've got an attachment to them as the in-laws are season ticket holders, but I'd still feel that for any supporter of another club to say they wish them to go bust isn't right.

Without question, those that have got them into this mess; need to have some form of punishment. Personal fine, not allowed to be associated with football again. The club itself needs to be held to account, as in relaity they could have gained an advanatge by signing 'good' players beyond their means. A points deduction appears the only way to sanction the club for this.

But to say another club should be closed down is an appauling thing to say.

You and I would have totally 0% effect on how our board run things. At the moment our board and chair appear to be attempting to ensure we don't go down this route; which of course is the right thing to try to do. However as a fan, you will have no impact on how your board decide to finance the club. You wouldn't even have a say in who owns your club.... Scary.

Deduct points yes, close down no

The deduction of points didn't work last time why should it work this time. I couldn't give a toss about players getting paid or even the tax man getting paid, but when it threatens local business's that is when it's unforgivable, in these days of claiming football teams are a part of the community, Portsmouth prove that is bullshit. if they do not go out of business firstly ban them from signing ANY players for at least 2 years, make them use youth team players if necessary, we did it in 82 and dropped through the divisions and even bottom of the whole 92 clubs at one stage.

Allowing them to go into administration again and then go straight out once they come out of administration and sign more over paid pussies the next day is immoral.

Having read the articles linked it all sounds like the stuff of high farce.

I feel deeply for the fans; the situation is beyond their control and must hurt deeply.

I'd never, ever wish for a team to go out of business, but to me it would seem utterly unfair if they avoided any form of punishment unless a true, minted 'white knight' buyer rocked up at the 11th hours and paid all debt and underwrote their continued existence.

The league must also take a degree of blame. They have effectively abandoned the club to owners with highly questionable intentions and histories without doing their bit of ensuring the footballing legacy of this nation (which is its clubs) are in the hands of responsible individuals.

This saga makes me increasingly and eternally grateful to Steve Lansdown for his commitment to this club and willingness to both underwrite us and move us towards a sustainable model, although this is taking time and considerable energy and investment on his part. Never has moving forward with Ashton Vale successfully seemed more important.

I am also grateful that Colin Sexstone is in charge, as having a positive and excellent working relationship between chairman and major shareholder is essential in these trying times. I cannot see either allowing us to fall into the hands of people less committed to our future existence than they are, something that has repeatedly been allowed to happen to Pompy.

When was the last time the courts allowed a winding up order against a football club?.

I think Cardiff were served 3 times in 2010, they were certainly taught a harsh lesson, look at them now, struggling in the Carling cup and languishing all the way at the bot, sorry top, of the championship.

Take that as a harsh lesson anyone else that dares risk the wrath of the tax man...

Having read the articles linked it all sounds like the stuff of high farce.

I feel deeply for the fans; the situation is beyond their control and must hurt deeply.

I'd never, ever wish for a team to go out of business, but to me it would seem utterly unfair if they avoided any form of punishment unless a true, minted 'white knight' buyer rocked up at the 11th hours and paid all debt and underwrote their continued existence.

The league must also take a degree of blame. They have effectively abandoned the club to owners with highly questionable intentions and histories without doing their bit of ensuring the footballing legacy of this nation (which is its clubs) are in the hands of responsible individuals.

This saga makes me increasingly and eternally grateful to Steve Lansdown for his commitment to this club and willingness to both underwrite us and move us towards a sustainable model, although this is taking time and considerable energy and investment on his part. Never has moving forward with Ashton Vale successfully seemed more important.

I am also grateful that Colin Sexstone is in charge, as having a positive and excellent working relationship between chairman and major shareholder is essential in these trying times. I cannot see either allowing us to fall into the hands of people less committed to our future existence than they are, something that has repeatedly been allowed to happen to Pompy.

I agree strongly, particularly about the Football League's culpability. Whatever happened to all the rhetoric about thoroughly scrutinising owners to meet the Football League's own criteria?? How can a takeover be 'rubber-stamped' by the sport's official bodies and then spectacularly implode so swiftly and badly again, so soon after the authorities were supposed to establish that the new, prospective owner(s) were solvent and credible?!!! It defies belief. I never want to see a club fold, so much history would be obliterated and I remember 82 and the tears, dread and relief that followed, but if football again fails to sort itself out, given the obscene amounts of cash washing about in some areas of the game, then I think HMRC and other creditors will have no choice other than to force a club to fold.

The Cardiff and Pompey situations where clubs are paying ludicrous fees and salaries, whilst claiming they are potless is disgraceful, and will longterm be another huge nail in the coffin of the modern game in many supporters eyes, if the authorities do not 'man up' and take drastic punitive and decisive action.

Trying to be pragmatic; if Pompey fail to complete their fixtures, their record is wiped out, so everyone who's drawn or beaten them lose those points whilst teams Pompey beat improve their goal diff.

Teams who'll lose 1 point; City, M'boro', Cardiff.

Teams who'll lose 3 points; Brighton, WHU, Hull, P'boro', Leeds, Ipswich.

Although it'll be a shame to lose a club like Pompey, if it does happen, City would benefit. Yes we'd lose 1 point but only 2 clubs would then be relegated, Ipswich who are beneath us lose 3 points and Posh who are currently 3 pts ahead of us lose 3 points. As West Ham would lose 3 points, that would also help with a great sense of irony; Southampton.

Don't want to see them fold but surely Football has got to learn it's lesson now ? The fit and proper persons test is clearly rediculous and has been for a long time. How the glazers takeover of Man U was approved, which was basically Man U buying it's self for the glazers is crazy and it's one of a number of decision that are frankly baffling.

Pompeys owners have to take the majority of the blame for the mess they are in, but surely the bodies that allowed these people who clearly never had the funds available should have blocked the takeovers.

Football finances need overhauling from top to bottom, the FFP regulations are a start but long term i think the German model of %51 fan ownership is the way to go in the long term to ensure clubs long term futures and that people are not priced out of football.

Trying to be pragmatic; if Pompey fail to complete their fixtures, their record is wiped out, so everyone who's drawn or beaten them lose those points whilst teams Pompey beat improve their goal diff.

Teams who'll lose 1 point; City, M'boro', Cardiff.

Teams who'll lose 3 points; Brighton, WHU, Hull, P'boro', Leeds, Ipswich.

Although it'll be a shame to lose a club like Pompey, if it does happen, City would benefit. Yes we'd lose 1 point but only 2 clubs would then be relegated, Ipswich who are beneath us lose 3 points and Posh who are currently 3 pts ahead of us lose 3 points. As West Ham would lose 3 points, that would also help with a great sense of irony; Southampton.

don't mean to be picky but Cardiff beat Portsmouth last weekend

Only one thing to say really.

English football is in an utter mess,totaly stinks of greed greed greed and more greed.

Thank God i watched the likes of Merrick and Gow who would have sold their souls for this football club.

The majority of players these days would only sale their souls to the highest bidder,sad but true,

RIP English football

Archived