IGNORED

Alan Davies & Hillsborough Comments

The Batman

See for me personally, that arguement is laughable.

So Liverpool will be forced to play on the anniversary of Hillsborough, in order to allow the likes of John Terry (who are on ridiculous wages) to get an extra day's rest, sat on their arse.

I get the irony, but from a strictly football point of view the argument that it affects 'no-one' does not sustain.

Umm. This is of course a delicate one. Imagine if the collapsed Bolton player had a 'worse case' outcome. Human compassion would dictate that that side would have been given some time to come to terms with it. However, there would need to come a time, most likely defined by Bolton, where life would need to go on.

Whether 23 years is 'to soon' is not for me to judge, so maybe rightly for now the games are switched around. All I would say is other clubs have dealt with traumatic events in other ways. Not better or worse, just different. There surely must come a time when they do not refuse to play on this day, surely? The right answer however is that this comes from them, rather than imposed.

Do you have to be from Liverpool, or just a Liverpool fan to become a professional victim? Honestly their whining about it just makes me want them to be made to play on that day even more.

How do people remember those they have lost anyway... I think you'll find the majority would say it should be by doing something they loved. Giving up the chance to play on the 15th April is moronic, it's giving up the chance of having a proper memorial.

Anyway... I thought that the reason Liverpool don't play on the 15th April was because a huge number of their fans are based in Dublin, and they wouldn't imagine catching a ferry on the anniversary of the sinking of the Titanic?

Do you have to be from Liverpool, or just a Liverpool fan to become a professional victim? Honestly their whining about it just makes me want them to be made to play on that day even more.

How do people remember those they have lost anyway... I think you'll find the majority would say it should be by doing something they loved. Giving up the chance to play on the 15th April is moronic, it's giving up the chance of having a proper memorial.

Anyway... I thought that the reason Liverpool don't play on the 15th April was because a huge number of their fans are based in Dublin, and they wouldn't imagine catching a ferry on the anniversary of the sinking of the Titanic?

Unbelievable.

The game should be played. Sorry if I'm coming across as harsh, but life goes on. Don't see why they can't wear a black armband and have a minutes silence? Another thing is, there have been plenty of football tragedies over the years from all over the world but the world hasn't stopped for them. Why have Liverpool got to be different?

Liverpool always have the option of withdrawing from the competition. i wonder if the Champions league final fell on this date and they were in it they would still object. I cant imagine Uefa re writing their calender. As said a fantastic memorial would be 90,000 scousers at Wembley united in memory, opportunity missed I feel.

The game should be played. Sorry if I'm coming across as harsh, but life goes on. Don't see why they can't wear a black armband and have a minutes silence? Another thing is, there have been plenty of football tragedies over the years from all over the world but the world hasn't stopped for them. Why have Liverpool got to be different?

+1 People in America still work on 9/11.

Precisely. But then that would turn it from a day of self pity, recrimination and blame into a celebration and that just wouldn't do

How on earth can a family that lost a child celebrate the occasion? The fact they still don't know what exactly went on that day is a disgrace. How would you feel if you lost a son or daughter that day and you still don't know why because the government have not released all of the evidence of the day. If the club and families wish to commemorate the day they should be entitled to do it however they and the families wish to do it.

You genuinely are a clart.

Well thats just not very nice is it. You're a secret Liverpool fan though aren't you? You don't have to thank me for helping you get all indignant, just glad I could help

Its not just Liverpool FC that enjoys walowing in self pity, it the whole City. I work in South Yorkshire an area arguably more deprived, more down trodden and more shat upon by Thatcher's government than even Merseyside, but the attitude is just not there. They've moved on and tried to make the best of it. Hillsborough was a horrible, horrific event for all concerned and I think regardless of individuals views on how the events unfolded, I think we can all agree it needs to be remembered. But by making demands of the football calendar ad infinitum? I just don't think its fair or the best way to remember the event

How on earth can a family that lost a child celebrate the occasion? The fact they still don't know what exactly went on that day is a disgrace. How would you feel if you lost a son or daughter that day and you still don't know why because the government have not released all of the evidence of the day. If the club and families wish to commemorate the day they should be entitled to do it however they and the families wish to do it.

Many of us have experienced personal tragedies, it doesnt mean we expect our grief to dictate what others can or cant do, it is a private matter for the families to remember how ever they see fit.

spot on.

Many of us have experienced personal tragedies, it doesnt mean we expect our grief to dictate what others can or cant do, it is a private matter for the families to remember how ever they see fit.

Until the families have closure on what happened that day I hope they continue to keep the day fresh in everyones mind. I assume you know what the cause of the personal tragedies were though?

Ok - last go at this.

I agree very strongly indeed with your first argument re Government. Not going to bore everyone with the background where this is history rather than something they remember, but I have also not bought a copy of the Sun from that day due to their outrageous coverage the next day, which was an affront to everyone that loves football.

Of course, families have every right to commemorate it any way they wish. How could they not? I am going to try and be careful how I word the next bit, as I may get the meaning wrong.

The other disastors, while clearly affecting clubs, are remembered more, I think, as football tragedies affecting us all, as part of a wider family. This is more pointedly positioned as a LFC tragedy, and of course, in a way it is. However, whilst they were LFC fans, what shocked us all is that it could have been any of us. I cannot express it very elogently, but there is something that just feels slightly grating about the 'this is our tragedy' rather that footballs,

Its their call ultimately. I do not buy the 'any team can chose to play when they like, there are other days available' line I am afraid, its just where one draws the line.

Well thats just not very nice is it. You're a secret Liverpool fan though aren't you? You don't have to thank me for helping you get all indignant, just glad I could help

Its not just Liverpool FC that enjoys walowing in self pity, it the whole City. I work in South Yorkshire an area arguably more deprived, more down trodden and more shat upon by Thatcher's government than even Merseyside, but the attitude is just not there. They've moved on and tried to make the best of it. Hillsborough was a horrible, horrific event for all concerned and I think regardless of individuals views on how the events unfolded, I think we can all agree it needs to be remembered. But by making demands of the football calendar ad infinitum? I just don't think its fair or the best way to remember the event

I was genuinely going to bother, then I realised I was right first time.

Were not asking them to celebrate the occasion, we're asking them to move on with their lives and stop making such a fuss out of one day. Without a doubt they make it far more difficult to deal with by making such a big thing out of the day... they don't want to move on, plain and simple; I can't have sympathy for anyone who not only doesn't want to help themselves, but actively wants to make their situation worse.

We all go through terrible tragedies in our lives, I lost a parent in terrible circumstances... I don't sit at home moping on the day, I don't do anything which would impact on my day just because it falls on an anniversary. You know why, because everyone I know dislikes memorial services, funerals and the suchlike, we attend them because it's important for the grieving process and it allows us to move on. Why just because someone is gone would their intentions so drastically change so that want you to be unhappy one day a year?

Until the families have closure on what happened that day I hope they continue to keep the day fresh in everyones mind. I assume you know what the cause of the personal tragedies were though?

Too many fans were let in, it was poorly policed, the terracing wasn't safe for the number of fans in it, the drunk (oh dear, I've gone and said it... don't blame the fans) fans acted irresponsibly and caused a crush. There have been investigations into it, just because they don't want to believe the findings doesn't mean that the case shouldn't be closed.

It was a tragedy and anyone who witnessed any of the events will never forget it. But so was 9/11, so was the Bradford fire, so was the munich air disaster unfortunately horrible things happen in life. Liverpool seem to have the fa and premier league by the balls by demanding they not play on that date. I can't see why they shouldn't play, I don't see how you feel it's ok to celebrate a win the day after or before but not on that day?

Were not asking them to celebrate the occasion, we're asking them to move on with their lives and stop making such a fuss out of one day. Without a doubt they make it far more difficult to deal with by making such a big thing out of the day... they don't want to move on, plain and simple; I can't have sympathy for anyone who not only doesn't want to help themselves, but actively wants to make their situation worse.

We all go through terrible tragedies in our lives, I lost a parent in terrible circumstances... I don't sit at home moping on the day, I don't do anything which would impact on my day just because it falls on an anniversary. You know why, because everyone I know dislikes memorial services, funerals and the suchlike, we attend them because it's important for the grieving process and it allows us to move on. Why just because someone is gone would their intentions so drastically change so that want you to be unhappy one day a year?

Too many fans were let in, it was poorly policed, the terracing wasn't safe for the number of fans in it, the drunk (oh dear, I've gone and said it... don't blame the fans) fans acted irresponsibly and caused a crush. There have been investigations into it, just because they don't want to believe the findings doesn't mean that the case shouldn't be closed.

Making such a fuss out of one day, are you for real??!

It was a tragedy and anyone who witnessed any of the events will never forget it. But so was 9/11, so was the Bradford fire, so was the munich air disaster unfortunately horrible things happen in life. Liverpool seem to have the fa and premier league by the balls by demanding they not play on that date. I can't see why they shouldn't play, I don't see how you feel it's ok to celebrate a win the day after or before but not on that day?

What he said.

Making such a fuss out of one day, are you for real??!

Sorry, do you disagree that they are 'Making such a fuss', or that it's out of 'one day'.

I think the fuss they make it clear, so I'll proceed in answering the second part.

I apologise terribly for suggesting a day, April 15th, on which so many people lost their lives is just 'one day'. Undoubtedly we should remember it every year for the rest of the human race's existence to ensure that it never happens again.

The way that they suggested first class passengers have more of a right to life than 2nd and 3rd class passengers was disgraceful.

Christ liverpool fans and liverpool fc has gone down massively this seadon IMO, sending death threats for somebody having an opinion however wrong or right it may be.

Horrible club, horrible manager, horrible racist fans.

Horrible manager all right, last night Kenny Dalglish was nothing but a p**ck towards Andy Burton.

Archived