IGNORED

Alan Davies & Hillsborough Comments

The Batman

As for his 'left-wing credentials', Alan Davies joined the pickets outside the collieries in Kent during the miners strike when he was a student, so I think the man is entitled to identify himself as a left winger; there are Labour politicians of a similar age who didn't do that

He may well have impeccable left wing credentials hence I'm pretty sure he would not want inarticulate nutcases like the one in the rant above your post defending him with his sub-Daily-Mail-free-speech horseshit.

If you want to say something controversial, then don't get upset when you get the inevitable backlash. We've already had Boris Johnson pimping his fat arse around Liverpool, kneeling at the feet of the Liver bird, and saying sorry to anybody who will listen to him over his mawkishness comments.

Man up and stick by what your comments Alan.

Fa have said can't switch cup dates for it would clash with hillsborough. So Chelsea have to play a cup semi and champs league semi in space of 48hrs. I think Liverpool everton would be a good and fitting game to play on the anniversary.

Before anyone says what do you know, as they normally do on here I'm 39 and lost my wife nearly 5 years ago suddenly due to a heart attack. So know a bit about grief and how to overcome it, but everyone grieves in differant ways. Just I think why should the whole of football have to be rearranged just to accommodate Liverpool.

You said it yourself, football hasn't been rearranged. Chelsea want it rearranged/changed and Liverpool have refused on the grounds that they have a memorial service planned for the day they would then be forced to play. Why people have a ******* problem with that is really beyond me.

You said it yourself, football hasn't been rearranged. Chelsea want it rearranged/changed and Liverpool have refused on the grounds that they have a memorial service planned for the day they would then be forced to play. Why people have a ******* problem with that is really beyond me.

None of us got "a problem with it" - its an opinion.

In my opinion, Liverpool should not be able to dictate forever more............

One day, they will play on that date - when? who knows.

But I dont see what difference playing a football match makes... not now anyway.

Essentially the game is being played at a time and date inconvenient to all the other clubs involved because of Liverpools wish not to play on that date. As I have said before the option was always there to withdraw from the competition.

Of course I'm not comparing the two, the war was beyond a tragedy , I am just highlighting that people mocking Liverpool saying 'ships can't sail on the 15th' and turning into this an anti scousers thread and that there shudnt be a memorial service might Wana be careful how far their opinion cud take them

I was referring to the Titanic, not Hillsborough. Doh!

Essentially the game is being played at a time and date inconvenient to all the other clubs involved because of Liverpools wish not to play on that date. As I have said before the option was always there to withdraw from the competition.

End of the day Liverpool can only request, the decision remains the FA's.

End of the day Liverpool can only request, the decision remains the FA's.

Come on now... The FA are in a very difficult position. Liverpool have always said they would refuse to play on that date - can you imagine the backlash if they did arrange a game for that date??

You only gotta to see the reaction on here to give you a indication of what it would be like. Apparently were all trolls for having a opinion that Liverpool should play on that day!

No need to swear.... I guess it comes down to what you value more; the football calendar and the ability of any given team to allow themselves the best possible chance in any given game or the sentimentality of remembrance. On an individual basis there's no right or wrong answer, but at what level of inconvenience/disadvantage do you draw the line? If Liverpool were in a Champions League semi and the 15th fell on a Saturday, meaning they had to play on Sunday, would they be so adamant about not playing?

100% agree with him. Planes still fly on September 11th.

I'm glad the article said this:

"Some people attribute the enforced emotional sensitivity over Hillsborough to the peculiar touchiness of Liverpudlians. Liverpool is "self-pity city", we are told, where they love nothing more than to play the victim card."

Very much put exactly what I have always felt into a coherhent paragraph.

I agree that not playing on that specific date is a bit ridiculous. Surely a more ponient problem would be liverpool playing at Hillsborough itself again, where surely the memories of people who were there that day would make them feel physically sick, to go back and visit the scene - there is no way that the stadium itself would not host the fixture should it arise.

The article is spot on with the "emotional correctness" tag - It is a bit like when people feel the need to publicly mourn on facebook when some smackhead "celebrity" takes their own life one way or another and leaves behind children and loved ones to struggle on - yet they get rocketed into almost saint like status despite often not being a worthy role model to a convicted kiddy fiddler during there life!

Just thought I would re-ask this from page 1 of the thread.

Surely playing at Hillsborough again would be far worse than playing on a date....? Surely they have played there since the tradgedy - yet this was not too much of an issue for people....?

No need to swear.... I guess it comes down to what you value more; the football calendar and the ability of any given team to allow themselves the best possible chance in any given game or the sentimentality of remembrance. On an individual basis there's no right or wrong answer, but at what level of inconvenience/disadvantage do you draw the line? If Liverpool were in a Champions League semi and the 15th fell on a Saturday, meaning they had to play on Sunday, would they be so adamant about not playing?

Liverpool would never play on the 15th they rearranged a champs league game a few years back after UEFA permitted it. As for playing at Hillsborough,Liverpool hv played their multiple times since the tragedy

Liverpool should play the game its a much better mark of respect then self pitty and wollowing in grief, Just ask man utd

I agree, at the end of the day its more dignified playing the game with black armbands and a minutes silence. All the Hillsborough media hyperbole comes simply from the fact that Liverpool has always had huge sensitivities (rightly so) on how the tragedy was covered at the time and is remembered moving forward. In all honesty I think it would be better to draw an line under the whole affair and commemorate in the same way MUFC do with Munich. All this talk of justice is just ridiculous - most genuine football fans (outside LFC) are 100% sympathetic about Hillsborough, but knowing how fans behaved in the 70s and 80s agree an accident like this was always on the cards. There was no crime, no injustice, no conspiracy...just a tragic and awful accident.

I agree, at the end of the day its more dignified playing the game with black armbands and a minutes silence. All the Hillsborough media hyperbole comes simply from the fact that Liverpool has always had huge sensitivities (rightly so) on how the tragedy was covered at the time and is remembered moving forward. In all honesty I think it would be better to draw an line under the whole affair and commemorate in the same way MUFC do with Munich. All this talk of justice is just ridiculous - most genuine football fans (outside LFC) are 100% sympathetic about Hillsborough, but knowing how fans behaved in the 70s and 80s agree an accident like this was always on the cards. There was no crime, no injustice, no conspiracy....

no cover up, no secret documents, no media lies, er...

What are the actual reason Liverpool is giving for not playing?

Because their is a memorial?

Because of the pain and memories?

Out of respect?

They're not "not playing" They've refused to change the date of their game so that Chelsea can have an extra days rest because they have a pre arranged commitment to the relatives of 96 dead football fans.

The fact this is up for discussion is quite saddening. It seems to be quite "cool" to knock Liverpool lately, A lot of criticism justified... this, utterly ridiculous.

I agree, at the end of the day its more dignified playing the game with black armbands and a minutes silence. All the Hillsborough media hyperbole comes simply from the fact that Liverpool has always had huge sensitivities (rightly so) on how the tragedy was covered at the time and is remembered moving forward. In all honesty I think it would be better to draw an line under the whole affair and commemorate in the same way MUFC do with Munich. All this talk of justice is just ridiculous - most genuine football fans (outside LFC) are 100% sympathetic about Hillsborough, but knowing how fans behaved in the 70s and 80s agree an accident like this was always on the cards. There was no crime, no injustice, no conspiracy...just a tragic and awful accident.

What utter crap. These families deserve justice and the truth to come out.

There was a cover up by the tory govenment at the time and its never came to light I fully support the fight in justice don't get me wrong,

But like Alan Davies it gets on my tits that as soon as you mention it you are attacked by scousers over it threatern and generally hounded until you are forced to make a donation after your names been dragged through the mud,

Thats what makes me angry,

There was a cover up by the tory govenment at the time and its never came to light I fully support the fight in justice don't get me wrong,

But like Alan Davies it gets on my tits that as soon as you mention it you are attacked by scousers over it threatern and generally hounded until you are forced to make a donation after your names been dragged through the mud,

Thats what makes me angry,

what do you expect when they haven't still got any justice, maybe once they do they can then move on. We would be the same if it was Bristol City.

what do you expect when they haven't still got any justice, maybe once they do they can then move on. We would be the same if it was Bristol City.

I would of moved on

Like I did when my nan died, like I did when my best fried died like I did when a close friend of mine was murdered and the two people responcable got 4 years instead of murder 20 and justice hasn't been served,

You move on and get on with your life

I would of moved on

Like I did when my nan died, like I did when my best fried died like I did when a close friend of mine was murdered and the two people responcable got 4 years instead of murder 20 and justice hasn't been served,

You move on and get on with your life

Don't compare your nan pasing away to this, bloody ridiculous.

But ho do you mean by 'they'? The families of the 96? Absolutely. Scousers? Perhaps- certain aspects of the media printed bad things about Liverpool at the time, though we have a free press in this country that have since apologised and retracted most of the statements. Every Tom, Dick & Harry with a soft spot for Liverpool because thy were good in the 80s and think Liverpool is like an extended episode of Bread? No thanks. I hope all the info comes out soon so this can all be put to bed, I just hope no one is more upset with the truth than the myth

But ho do you mean by 'they'? The families of the 96? Absolutely. Scousers? Perhaps- certain aspects of the media printed bad things about Liverpool at the time, though we have a free press in this country that have since apologised and retracted most of the statements. Every Tom, Dick & Harry with a soft spot for Liverpool because thy were good in the 80s and think Liverpool is like an extended episode of Bread? No thanks. I hope all the info comes out soon so this can all be put to bed, I just hope no one is more upset with the truth than the myth

I agree. How can these families move on when they still want answers about that day. Any of us would be the same in that position.

I agree. How can these families move on when they still want answers about that day. Any of us would be the same in that position.

Well indeed. Totally agree with you there, Super.

However, saying that it doesn't necessarily follow that the club should still not be playing matches on April 15.

I do have some sympathy with Dalglish - it must be a very poignant day for him - but the none of the players were at the club then, indeed many either hadn't been born or were living as kids overseas.

The one diehard LFC season ticket holder I know (who was at Hillsborough that day) says she agrees with Alan Davies.

I do think his tweet could've been more sensitively phrased, but he's raised a point.

Not playing on that day, 23 years on, doesn't get the Hillsborough justice campaign any further on. Ironically, this furore has probably given the relatives' case a higher profile than it's had for some time. I just hope the death threat idiots haven't lost the cause any sympathy.

Don't compare your nan pasing away to this, bloody ridiculous.

He also said he lost two friends, one of which was murdered. The fact you chose to just say "Don't compare your nan pasing away to this" shows that through all your posturing in this thread on respect, and remembrance of loss your actually just a selective, vile hypocrite.

Archived