IGNORED

Ched Evans

Riaz

Amazingly some of the Blades on their forum are defending him, some saying the sentence is 'harsh' and questioning the verdict.

Fact is the Judge and Jury will have seen far more evidence than the rest of us and if 12 people find him guilty based on that- thats good enough for me.

Wouldnt want him anywhere near my club...much like Lee Hughes, Marlon King and Luke Mccormick.

Oh dear.

Rape is a difficult thing to prove 100% yes?

He's been found guilty - so I accept he is a rapist.

But in reality its her word against his. For all we know, she may have consented - he may have been wrongly convicted. No one will ever know for certain.

Absolutley. I've sat on the jury in a rape trial. Not a pleasant experience and I'm still not 100% sure after 20 years , that the correct verdict was reached.

But she doesn't know what happened??? The judge and jury have all evidence though.

Rapist = scum.

Know what you mean about footballers being easy targets, happened to Van Persie a few years ago.

Exactly.

I dont have an opinion either way. Just defending Plymouth's view

Jordan,

Sadly, lots of girls lie about being raped - for various reasons.

So when a rich, young footballer is accused/convicted, there will always be those that are sceptical.

I've always been a believer of innocent until proven guilty, now he has been proven guilty I will class him as a fully fledged rapist.

Absolutley. I've sat on the jury in a rape trial. Not a pleasant experience and I'm still not 100% sure after 20 years , that the correct verdict was reached.

Exactly :). Some cases are clear, but many are incredibly complex, such as this one.

The fact that people have been legally exonerated while on death row in USA shows enough about how dodgy these can be. And death cases should be the ones with the most highly skilled people involved, yet they still had decisions changed.

Dont envy you. Get something like that wrong - and you could ruin someones life.

Being raped is obviously terrible - but being wrongly accused cant be nice either.

Jordan,

Sadly, lots of girls lie about being raped - for various reasons.

So when a rich, young footballer is accused/convicted, there will always be those that are sceptical.

Sadly, lots of woman never report being raped neither.

Lets look at it from both perspectives.

There are a lot of sick people out there, and he has been found guilty in a court of law.

Anyway, if she cant remember a thing, how the hell was she able to consent to sex??

Why? the judge/jury knows more than any of us and he's given the punishment he feels to be the right one. I have no reason to doubt the decision personally.

Erm.... didn't you read this? :D

Still have "no reason to doubt the decision"?

Sadly, lots of woman never report being raped neither.

Lets look at it from both perspectives.

There are a lot of sick people out there, and he has been found guilty in a court of law.

Anyway, if she cant remember a thing, how the hell was she able to consent to sex??

I totally agree. My point was about seeing the other perspective.

Just because she did'nt remember, does not mean she did'nt consent.

I've had nights where I've drank loads - done things I cant remember - but I was still in control of myself - just could'nt remember much! Though, to be fair to this girl, she said she drank what she usually did....

But you've just had a guy who's been on the jury saying he's still not sure if his decision was the right one :D. How can you be sure this is the right one as well?

I'm not trying to convince you to changing your mind, I'm just showing my skepticism. I'm not defending Ched Evans, in fact, if anything, I'd say he is probably guilty. Just not definitely guilty.

Tis strange how people saying 'cant question the decision ' or 'judge knows wat he's doing' and slam ched Evans but then be experts on planning for the town green /ashton vale case and play the victim.

The way I interpreted the verdict today is that the girl was too drunk to give consent so in effect no consent was given. Although they have both admitted having sex with the girl so I presume there was further evidence to find Evans guilty as the other player was cleared

I just think if your innocent until proven guilty, surely you are guilty until proven innocent.

Seems fair.

I think once a verdict has passed then yes, of course the difficulty comes if someone is in effect guilty for years but then cleared later e.g. Barry George in the Jill dando case. He will never get those years bk and ppl wil always say 'no smoke without fire' despite being cleared

How interesting to read through these comments...

I'd consider myself reasonably clued up on this topic and I'll share with you my take on things...

1. If ever there was a country you'd want to face trial in, it's the UK. Our judicial system is designed to protect the innocent man.

2. It's my understanding that the victim went back to the hotel room with the cleared footballer. That probably cast enough doubt in the jury's mind for them to find him not guilty. Evans was a third party who went back to the hotel room. I doubt that went down well.

3. Robin Van Persie is not a rapist. Marlon King is not a rapist but he is a sex offender. Ched Evans IS a rapist.

4. Evans must have grounds for appeal to have one (he now has 28 days before it's too late). You can't just appeal for the hell of it. I'm sure he'll probably come up with grounds, but you don't see too many people getting appeals home.

5. 5 years is definitely not harsh for a rapist. The maximum tariff available is life. Granted, this is nothing like a life offence, but 5 years would seem about fair for the circumstances. Judges are bound by sentencing guidelines and the 5 year tariff will be within what he's bound by.

I must admit, having read the circumstances, I didn't think that either of them would be found guilty. But none of us were there in the court room and we haven't heard the whole evidence, just the little bits reported by the press, so it's very difficult to say.

Rape is probably about the hardest crime to prove, so there must have been some good evidence put forward by the prosecution.

Didnt they film it?

Sort of. This was on an earlier story from the trial:

Video recordings found on Mr Higgins' phone showed that he had been filming, or trying to film, the incident.

Mr McDonald said: "I clocked through the window Ryan and his mate and then Ched came into the room and said, 'Can I get involved?'.

5 years is definitely not harsh for a rapist. The maximum tariff available is life. Granted, this is nothing like a life offence, but 5 years would seem about fair for the circumstances. Judges are bound by sentencing guidelines and the 5 year tariff will be within what he's bound by.

When you consider he will be out in 2 and a half years time - his sentence is quite lenient!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/9214541/Embarrassed-woman-cried-rape-after-bondage-sex-regrets-court-hears.html

this was also in the news today. where a woman cried rape but did not get away with it.

As he has been found guilty, i will respect the judges / jury's decision. however, they have to be 100% sure, otherwise they have to say no.

http://www.telegraph...ourt-hears.html

this was also in the news today. where a woman cried rape but did not get away with it.

As he has been found guilty, i will respect the judges / jury's decision. however, they have to be 100% sure, otherwise they have to say no.

Actually they only have to be above 50% sure, but I get what you mean.

I just want to clarify, while I'm being skeptical, I haven't once said the sentence is too strong or have I backed Ched Evans up. Just to make it clear, I'm not sticking up for him!

None of it matters, he's been sentenced. If he's been wrongly proven guilty then i'll change my opinion.

If it's innocent until proven guilty, surely it's guilty until proven innocent?!

I suspect he'll get off on appeal. Did the prosecution really show Beyond Reasonable doubt that he raped her? I suppose a lot of it would have come down to whether he was a reliable witness. If he came across as a liar, that might have secured the verdict.

Can they increase the sentence if he makes an unsuccessful appeal?

He's been made an example of. Topical considering the latest adverts aimed at teens on the whole consent issue.

When I was younger you had to be carefull the girl you'd pulled in IQ was old enough, now it seems you've gotta make sure they aren't too drunk.

Glad I'm married, won't be long before you need a signed permission slip thats been witnessed by a policeman

Archived