IGNORED

Colin Sexstone To Stand Down As Chairman

The Batman

Someone sum this all up, is this good or bad news for the club? Will it be likely Del could be effected by this as the man who played a key part in bringing him to the club is leaving? Is Keith Dawe capable of doing the job? Will anything change for the worse?

Who knows :dunno: just have to play the waiting game and see what happens, Steve will still be overseeing things from a far and holding the purse strings.

To clarify - prior to recent Companies Act (2006 I believe) all limited companies were required to hold an AGM at which all regular business such as the election and re-election of directors would be conducted. The new legislation allowed (wrongly in my view) for companies meeting specified criteria to abandon AGMs in the interest of saving unnecessary cost subject to such a motion being passed. Over two years SL managed to force this motion through by majority vote in the face of vociferous protest from a number of small shareholders - this in my view showed a serious lack of respect and understanding for numerous minor shareholders.

Since then changes at Board level, waiving of pre-emption rights on new share issues and other routine business which rightly require shareholder consent have taken place in private on the basis (which we all understand) that the vast majority of the shares are owned by two people. I do not contest the legality of this, nor do I suggest that SL and KD could have been outvoted - that is why I have referred only to courtesy, respect and contempt - If I thought there had been a breach of the rules, I would be taking the matter up elsewhere.

My reference to legal duty is that of any Director of any limited company - new legislation has not changed that - the Directors' primary duty is to act in the interests of the "company" (the "company" being all of its shareholders) - hence it concerns me that CS evidently overlooked this duty in making his statement on the official site. Is the Board obliged to accept a properly made decision of the shareholders? it is frankly absurd to suggest that it is not as the Board's authority only exists to the extent the shareholders have delegated authority to it - this will be detailed in the Memorandum and Articles of Association. - i.e. the Board exists for one purpose and one purpose only - to oversee the operation of the company on behalf of the shareholders - it is the shareholders who inevitably must have all the rights and the Company Law only steps in to provide a degree of protection for minority shareholders and creditors.

Similarly, I have to accept my choice of Chairman is irrelevant as a consequence of my tiny shareholding - but for the record I would have supported the appointment of KD at either or both of the last two AGMs if they had taken place and I would have voted against CS's appointment to the Board.

My complaint is and continues to be the Board's (and the major shareholders') disregard of the minor shareholders who stepped up when the club was in need - which I believe to be indicative of of an attitude which is some way removed from "let's work together to bring success"

Is this good news or bad news?

If we have heard the whole story then I believe it is good, because it indicates that the executive is working effectively and that we have no need for the Chairman to spend all his waking hours overseeing the business - however the possibility remains that CS has thrown in the towel for some other reason which might suggest that all is not well

Can we make any link between CS's resignation, the prospects for Ashton Vale and/or the football transfer/salaries budget?

Whilst these issues (or indeed any other) may have had an influence on CS's decision - we can do no more than speculate

I am pleased with today's news, as I am please that SL and KD continue to keep the business afloat - I am less pleased that the business in which I invested because I care first and foremost in its long-term survival has become entirely dependent on two wealthy individuals, both of which I believe are mortal (despite some suggestions on here to the contrary) - heaven forbid but either could lose interest as many other have in the past (with the obvious exception of Harry Dolman and Des Williams) and/or could sell to someone who has no links with the club or with Bristol.

The most disturbing thing is that on current trading - if SL/KD ever chose to cut their losses and run - an Administrator would be appointed within the week - this is for me much more important than whether or not we can sign the players we need to challenge for play-offs - for this reason I find KD's appointment reassuring and I welcome it

Someone sum this all up, is this good or bad news for the club? Will it be likely Del could be effected by this as the man who played a key part in bringing him to the club is leaving? Is Keith Dawe capable of doing the job? Will anything change for the worse?

That's the thing, not sure he did. According to the EP today (see extract below), surprised to read that CS wasn't on the selection panel nor handled the contract negotiations; Have to say I thought that was part of CS's role. If KD was handling transfer bargaining maybe nothing will change on this front.

"The first indication that Sexstone was being eased aside came when he was not included in the three-man panel to interview prospective new managers following the sacking of Keith Millen in October.

He also ceded control of transfer bargaining to Dawe, while Price was placed in charge of all matters appertaining to the club's ambitious £92 million stadium project at nearby Ashton Vale."

I see no problems at all with this. If you reed the statement on BEP it sounds like there was no need to have Colin involved anymore. It mentions something about him having no say when interviewing to replace KM. however I was under the impression that del is Colin's man????

Anyways I see only one person taking over in the long run and that is Jon lansdown. Keith Dawe has been at city for ages and is a big investor in the club and hope he does a good job. But eventually Jon will take the helm with Steves money I think.

Quote in BEP

The first indication that Sexstone was being eased aside came when he was not included in the three-man panel to interview prospective new managers following the sacking of Keith Millen in October.

The most disturbing thing is that on current trading - if SL/KD ever chose to cut their losses and run - an Administrator would be appointed within the week - this is for me much more important than whether or not we can sign the players we need to challenge for play-offs - for this reason I find KD's appointment reassuring and I welcome it

I understand your concern, but how could Lansdown, half of a hugely successful financial services company, leave a community football club in such a dire fiscal state.

It would be a public relations embarrassment and commercial suicide.

That's the thing, not sure he did. According to the EP today (see extract below), surprised to read that CS wasn't on the selection panel nor handled the contract negotiations;

Sexstone said on Radio Bristol this morning he was 'instrumental' in the appointmet of Derek McInnes.

I understand your concern, but how could Lansdown, half of a hugely successful financial services company, leave a community football club in such a dire fiscal state.

It would be a public relations embarrassment and commercial suicide.

Sexstone said on Radio Bristol this morning he was 'instrumental' in the appointmet of Derek McInnes.

Didn't hear that - obviously EP giving a misleading impression. Heard his interview tonight which confirms what you say.

Someone else leaves Ashton Gate in peculiar circumstances...

Colin says on the one hand that City don't need an executive chairman because there isn't a real job there (and, in fact, nobody will replace him in that role) and on the other he says that he didn't have enough time to be with his family.

Sorry, it doesn't make sense but departures from Ashton Gate never do.

I'm surprised by the appointment of Keith Dawe as Chairman. He has never been one for the limelight. All his businesses have a front man - he likes to operate behind the scenes. He's quite private and likes to work with a few trusted allies.

I can't see him being any good at the PR side - has anyone ever heard him speak publicly? He doesn't have have that kind of personality. Not a charismatic type. He's a wheeler dealer - a schemer. I guess he and Lansdown are working to some plan probably based on cashing in on the Ashton Vale property business.

I'm surprised by the appointment of Keith Dawe as Chairman. He has never been one for the limelight. All his businesses have a front man - he likes to operate behind the scenes. He's quite private and likes to work with a few trusted allies.

I can't see him being any good at the PR side - has anyone ever heard him speak publicly? He doesn't have have that kind of personality. Not a charismatic type. He's a wheeler dealer - a schemer. I guess he and Lansdown are working to some plan probably based on cashing in on the Ashton Vale property business.

According to stuff I've heard on the news, it will be Landsdown JR doing most of the chairmany bizzo.

I would assume guy price will be doing most of the talking and pr, in his role of CEO that is his job, often in football chairman are defacto owners when I comes to football clubs, but in most business the chairman is merely that, the chairman of the board, it's generally the CEO who does the bulk of the work visible to the outside world.

Archived