IGNORED

Colin Sexstone To Stand Down As Chairman

The Batman

I may be wrong but know a fair bit about FA Rules and Companies Act. But I think this may mean RSG will not be our sponsors next season as it's dual interest as he is CEO of RSG and Chairman of BCFC.

Can other clarify before I delve in to the books?

MM

Reading other threads and messages on twitter it looks like Amc Comms will be new sponsors next year.

I may be wrong but know a fair bit about FA Rules and Companies Act. But I think this may mean RSG will not be our sponsors next season as it's dual interest as he is CEO of RSG and Chairman of BCFC.

RSG won't be our sponsor next season anyway - so goes the rumour.

I'm confused by the article on the main site.

The new Board of Directors has settled in extremely well over the last 12 months and it is now clear that a full-time Executive Chairman is not required.

So will Dawe's role in this same position be part time? It seems the reason Sexy is leaving then is that he takes a big wage from BCFC? So, another cost cutting measure can we assume?

Can other clarify before I delve in to the books?

MM

That didn't stop Dunceford putting his N-Gaged firm on the Gas shirts a couple of seasons back.

Doom, doom, DOOM!!!! The chairman has stepped down and been replaced by someone else! This must mean that the stadium won't be built, we'll be relegated with a record low points difference and Beelzebub himself will rise up from Hades to become Mayor of Bristol

I know that if you google 'overreaction' it brings up a link to otib, but there's been more knee-jerking on this thread than a can-can line. I imagine some of you feel very stupid right now...

Am I the only one who thinks this is a good move? Since SL left the club the communication for fans has been terrible. The club hasn't had the same feel about it, and I believe that was due to the chairman. When things got a bit, well, rocky, SL was the first one to show his face and communicate with us the fans. During the ending stage of the season we didn't hear a peep or a rallying call which I personally thought was needed.

I'm not slagging Colin Sexton off, infact I think he is a top bloke and obviously a cracking buinessman. His speeches for the stadium were full of passion and fight, but I do feel we need to shake things up a bit and Keith Dawe is a great person to do this.

Thank you for your time Colin and good luck with whatever you're going to do next.

I am beginning to think I am wasting my time reading all the speculation and gossip on here - especially out of season.

Oh, I forgot, that's what otib is all about !

Personally I think CS has done a steady, reliable job as Chief Exec and then Chairman - if a bit dull and boring at times.

If all this is rubbish ( as I suspect) then I expect him to stay on until (at least) when the new stadium is finally built and operational.

I think he has been so deeply involved in that project that he won't walk away at this stage.

Radio 5 live said he was leaving at the end of the month.

Looks like SL is building a nice new "sport Bristol" brand, as much as I hate the egg, I've got a very good feeling that Sport and Bristol City, could be on the right path, I'd be very surprised if this City didn't have a team in both top divisions of both sports in a spanking new stadia by the end of the decade.

Sorry for the lack of negativity, but I think I'm starting to see the cogs of a Keith & Steve master plan in motion.

Consolidate and build.

Thank you Colin, all the best :)

Hear, hear! - be assured the huge amount of behind-the-scenes effort you have put in, particularly on the Ashton Vale front, is not unappreciated by the fanbase at large.

Good luck in your future ventures.

In my own work place we always had a local Managing Director with a group of (almost as senior) people working for them on individual projects. Any authorisations or strategic decisions always went above the local MD anyway.

As the MD was only ever in place for around 2 years (max) before moving on (as they do at that level), never long enough to implement and see anything through, the company came to a similar conclusion as the rest of us - Do we really need to retain this highly paid position - answer no!

I'm sure Colin stepping down was his own decision and I thank him for what he's done. I'm not surprised the club has decided that a full time executive chairman is not required, a lot of businesses are taking similar steps at Board level to cut costs.

Looks like SL is building a nice new "sport Bristol" brand, as much as I hate the egg, I've got a very good feeling that Sport and Bristol City, could be on the right path, I'd be very surprised if this City didn't have a team in both top divisions of both sports in a spanking new stadia by the end of the decade.

Sorry for the lack of negativity, but I think I'm starting to see the cogs of a Keith & Steve master plan in motion.

Consolidate and build.

Yes, I'll go with this. Bristol well and truly on the sporting map at last.

Often, negativity is justified when talking about onfield matters, especially as some of the personnel available to us (thanks in main to Johnson/Copout/Millen), have been dire.

However, when we are talking about those entrusted to deliver on a boardroom level, I probably couldn't think of 2 other local businessmen, who have been more successful and respected in their fields as Keith and Steve, I firmly believe that these two will put not only City but Sport in general in Bristol on the UK map, as long as we remember one thing; Rone wasn't built in a day.

Often, negativity is justified when talking about onfield matters, especially as some of the personnel available to us (thanks in main to Johnson/Copout/Millen), have been dire.

However, when we are talking about those entrusted to deliver on a boardroom level, I probably couldn't think of 2 other local businessmen, who have been more successful and respected in their fields as Keith and Steve, I firmly believe that these two will put not only City but Sport in general in Bristol on the UK map, as long as we remember one thing; Rone wasn't built in a day.

I don't think it's even been built yet!

The role of chairman at a club where the owner is as 'hands on' as ours, is always between a rock and a hard place. In all honesty, without 'Googling'' the answer, how many of us would know who Chelsea's chairman is?

I personally think Mr Sexstone has lacked a certain charisma, particularly in P.R. Terms and in terms of communicating with the club's fan base both as Chairman and in his previous role, however I defer to those who I know have met with and worked with the fella, who enthusiastically pay tribute to his diligence and commitment. I wish him all the best and thank him for his efforts for City. As to whether he left of his own volition or, has been eluded to in the darker corners of the media, he was ousted, that's another story.

It would appear that football is evolving more rapidly now in terms of business models, budgets etc, than at any time since the creation of the EPL 20 years. In the light of the plight of Portsmouth, Glasgow Rangers, Port Vale, Coventry etc, I think there will be far more introspection and reshuffling going on the length and breadth of the country, as new rules re salary caps kick in and the general economic recession prevails.

Great, glad to see the back of him!

I'll never forgive him for the disgraceful way Walshy was sacked, without a simple "thank you" for your services from the club.

16 years on and off the pitch, and all he got was "get yer coat", most clubs would have the grace to award such figures with a testimonial, or give them a proper send off. Maybe in 30 years time eh?

I've supported the club since the 60's and am totally ashamed of them.

Knowing football today, Sexton will probably get a stand named after him!

I'll never forgive him for the disgraceful way Walshy was sacked, without a simple "thank you" for your services from the club.

16 years on and off the pitch, and all he got was "get yer coat", most clubs would have the grace to award such figures with a testimonial, or give them a proper send off. Maybe in 30 years time eh?

how did you know del didn't want him?

because the coaching was oh so good for a long time with us producing great youth players and player at the club were devloped into ssaleable assits that we could make money on.......

It wasn't diisgraceful it was some one not very good at a job being let go in a club with a renowned jobs for the boys culture

If this is the case it would be a great time to bring someone in with a good knowledge of football.

I would argue that being a chairman involves more knowledge of how to keep a business running rather than having a lot of knowledge of football.

Some knowledge of football is a must though.

You've brought this up before.

http://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/topic/141237-disgraceful-treatment-of-walshy/page__hl__walshy__st__90

Keith is a top man, Knows his football and is very honest in the way he does things. He isnt afraid to let people know when they arent doing the job properly!! He wont be Lansdowns yes man in anyway shape or form which bodes well for me, Very good appointment.

It seems to me that anyone expecting an improvement in communication is likely to be dissappointed.

Continuing the trend since SL's acquisition of a majority shareholding (and more particularly since the relaxation of legal regulation on the governance of "small" companies), this news has only be confirmed after this forum pounced on a rumour leaked to a social networking site. More particularly - a second change of Chairman in just over 12 months is to be made without notice to shareholders, never mind the usual courtesy of proposal, seconding, debate (if required) and a vote. More evidence of apparent contempt for the ordinary supporters and others who stepped up to assist the rescue in 1982 and/or answered the call for help in 1996. In this regard it is illuminating that the quote from CS on the official site refers to SL as the "owner" rather than the "majority shareholder" - if the Chairman doesn't know who he answers to then what hope is there?

Turning to the role - given the expansion of the executive team over the last two years (again without proper consultation with shareholders) and the consequent increase in the non-football salary bill, I have no doubt there is no longer a need for an executive Chairman and hence this may be a reasonable (at least partial) explanation - it may also explain why Keith Dawe who was the obvious candidate when SL stepped down is willing to take up the role now when presumably he was not twelve months ago. I for one will be happier with KD in a non-executive role than I was with CS in any role at all.

Finally - in response to some others who have posted on this thread:

1. SL action as benefactor is linked to his majority ownership and not to his Chairmanship

2. I understand that KD has (again as a substantial shareholder but with little if any credit on this site) also contributed substantial sums to keep BCFC solvent

3. a stable future requires BCFC to become less dependant (not more dependant) bail-outs from wealthy individuals

4. £12M/annum is a substantial contribution in anyone's language - can anyone really want this to increase?

5. sponsorship from RSG could be a route around the fair-play rules - (as at Man City, Chelsea, Newcastle - a shareholder contribution dressed up as commercial sponsorship)

6. it is I think generally accepted that good corporate governance is never assisted by the blurring of the distinction between ownership (shareholding) and directorship - i.e. when the Board of Directors is only required to answer to itself or alternatively when a majority shareholder can and does undermine the Board's delegated authority, the checks and balances envisaged in Company Law must fail - in our case this goes a long way to explaining the level of annual losses - I refer in particular to unaffordable transfers (player salaries) sanctioned (or even proposed) by the majority shareholder without regard to any budgetary control under which the Board (thought it) was operating

It seems to me that anyone expecting an improvement in communication is likely to be dissappointed.

Continuing the trend since SL's acquisition of a majority shareholding (and more particularly since the relaxation of legal regulation on the governance of "small" companies), this news has only be confirmed after this forum pounced on a rumour leaked to a social networking site. More particularly - a second change of Chairman in just over 12 months is to be made without notice to shareholders, never mind the usual courtesy of proposal, seconding, debate (if required) and a vote. More evidence of apparent contempt for the ordinary supporters and others who stepped up to assist the rescue in 1982 and/or answered the call for help in 1996. In this regard it is illuminating that the quote from CS on the official site refers to SL as the "owner" rather than the "majority shareholder" - if the Chairman doesn't know who he answers to then what hope is there?

Turning to the role - given the expansion of the executive team over the last two years (again without proper consultation with shareholders) and the consequent increase in the non-football salary bill, I have no doubt there is no longer a need for an executive Chairman and hence this may be a reasonable (at least partial) explanation - it may also explain why Keith Dawe who was the obvious candidate when SL stepped down is willing to take up the role now when presumably he was not twelve months ago. I for one will be happier with KD in a non-executive role than I was with CS in any role at all.

Finally - in response to some others who have posted on this thread:

1. SL action as benefactor is linked to his majority ownership and not to his Chairmanship

2. I understand that KD has (again as a substantial shareholder but with little if any credit on this site) also contributed substantial sums to keep BCFC solvent

3. a stable future requires BCFC to become less dependant (not more dependant) bail-outs from wealthy individuals

4. £12M/annum is a substantial contribution in anyone's language - can anyone really want this to increase?

5. sponsorship from RSG could be a route around the fair-play rules - (as at Man City, Chelsea, Newcastle - a shareholder contribution dressed up as commercial sponsorship)

6. it is I think generally accepted that good corporate governance is never assisted by the blurring of the distinction between ownership (shareholding) and directorship - i.e. when the Board of Directors is only required to answer to itself or alternatively when a majority shareholder can and does undermine the Board's delegated authority, the checks and balances envisaged in Company Law must fail - in our case this goes a long way to explaining the level of annual losses - I refer in particular to unaffordable transfers (player salaries) sanctioned (or even proposed) by the majority shareholder without regard to any budgetary control under which the Board (thought it) was operating

Sexstone is still chairman until May 31st thats 4 weeks away how is that not notice?

It's a fair cop - but given that the it is the Chairman's (and that of the other Directors) primary legal duty to ensure the interests of all the shareholders are properly considered in the operation of the company - I'm not sure that a forced public announcement after that the new appointment will happen (i.e no need to be ratified in any way) is quite the notice a shareholder might reasonably expect

It's a fair cop - but given that the it is the Chairman's (and that of the other Directors) primary legal duty to ensure the interests of all the shareholders are properly considered in the operation of the company - I'm not sure that a forced public announcement after that the new appointment will happen (i.e no need to be ratified in any way) is quite the notice a shareholder might reasonably expect

Firstly, I'm not sure you can blame the club because news was leaked on a social media site before the date they had decided to make an announcement. Secondly, I'm pretty sure (though willing to be proven wrong) that all that stuff about a legal obligation to notify shareholders and put the position of chairman to a vote applies only to publicly traded companies and in the UK I don't think a board or management group is legally obliged to accept the decision of a shareholder anyway. I really don't see how any contempt is being shown to fans; if he'd asked you who should be the next chairman who would you have put forward?

Firstly, I'm not sure you can blame the club because news was leaked on a social media site before the date they had decided to make an announcement. Secondly, I'm pretty sure (though willing to be proven wrong) that all that stuff about a legal obligation to notify shareholders and put the position of chairman to a vote applies only to publicly traded companies and in the UK I don't think a board or management group is legally obliged to accept the decision of a shareholder anyway. I really don't see how any contempt is being shown to fans; if he'd asked you who should be the next chairman who would you have put forward?

isn;t thats what the AGM is about,

any the MAjority Shareholder gets they say as lansdown owns about 70% of the club other shareholders will never be able to over rule him

Archived