IGNORED

Could Ashton Gate Be Renamed Next Season?

bcfcbs20

No, you're reading some other fictional shit that I didn't say. I don't like stadium sponsorship so will actively do my little bit to discourage it. Simple as that.

That's where I personally draw the line, I am ok with other endorsements and sponsorships but I despise having the home of a football club named for some opportunist commercial ******* that have nothing to do with the history of the club.

Anyway, you wouldn't catch me dead doing any of those things you mention. Wearing Adidas or drinking Blackthorn? Have a word.

What if the sponsor was a board member using their company to plough money into the club surely you would support that. The OP mentioned RSG would sponsor the stadium and that is our new Chairmans company. I'm not sure this is sinister at all just a way to put in some cash.

.....Michael... that's what i was saying! i was replying to someone who says the name doesn't matter, it does.

Surely the only thing at debate is whether the financial outweighs the history.

:bored:

That's fair enough. I read your comment as saying that if you took the money involved out of the equation then nobody would want it changed, which whilst true is a nothing statement as there's no way it would happen without pretty serious investment in naming rights, so the money can't logically be taken out of the equation.

The name matters of course, but I always thought that having local lads in the team (maybe cheap from me not being one myself) mattered as well but it doesn't seem to happen these days (not at BCFC at least). Football has changed a lot in my lifetime, and not all for the better...

It's not happening anyway so we don't have to worry about it.

Isn't the real question here what is the punishment for failing the new financial regulations next season? I assume it's a points deduction..... So the question to ask ourselves is would we rather the club grabbed every income opportunity to avoid the possibility of say a 10 point deduction next year?

I would not ideally want The Gate renamed..... But it's a trivial gripe compared with the prospect of a points deduction or relegation.

• Admin

Hmm, 120 posts on something which isn't going to happen (yet!)

Anyone else heard the rumour that next season's kit will feature blue and white halves?

You're actually half right but it's quarters not halves. I saw the mock up on my computer & it made me vomit :(

Why's it matter? We'll all still call it Ashton Gate, away fans will still call it Ashton Gate and if the club gets their way we'll be moving to a new sponsored stadium anyway so it isn't even heading down a slippery slope. Just a bit of extra money for the next few seasons.

Quick question, where do Newcastle United play?

In Newcastle? ;)

Most people do, including commentators. Think its only the locals that call it by its proper name... Boelyn ground

Never heard it called the Boleyn Ground by anyone up until the last few years.

Their official website refers to Upton Park.

Never heard it called the Boleyn Ground by anyone up until the last few years.

Their official website refers to Upton Park.

Upton park is where it is located, the ground has and always been the boelyn ground.

Upton park is where it is located, the ground has and always been the boelyn ground.

If you say so TRL, I've been following football for 45 years and I've never heard of it being referred to as anything except Upton Park until very recently.

If you say so TRL, I've been following football for 45 years and I've never heard of it being referred to as anything except Upton Park until very recently.

I agree with you. Media and general footballing supporters know it as Upton park. It's certainly what I know it as.

Guy at uni told me it was the boelyn ground about 15 years ago, seems hammers fans know it as that, rest of football Upton park.

Probably annoys them as much as being called bristol annoys us.

I agree with you. Media and general footballing supporters know it as Upton park. It's certainly what I know it as.

Guy at uni told me it was the boelyn ground about 15 years ago, seems hammers fans know it as that, rest of football Upton park.

Doubt it, their players and managers have happily called it Upton Park to my knowledge right back to the days of Booby Moore and Ron Greenwood.

Perhaps a few fans want to sound like they're more fanatical by referring to it as something which basically is only accepted by a small minority.

Hmmm, that's annoying.

• Admin

Doubt it, their players and managers have happily called it Upton Park to my knowledge right back to the days of Booby Moore and Ron Greenwood.

Perhaps a few fans want to sound like they're more fanatical by referring to it as something which basically is only accepted by a small minority.

But we have players who refer to us as Bristol on occasion and that frustrates some of our supporters.

Hi,

I wish this didn't have to be my first post.......

I would be devastated and disgusted if this is true.

I want to support a football club, not a corporate franchise.

If this turns out to be true, i will try to get a refund on my season ticket (bought before the Barnsley game). I would prefer to give Brislington FC my £420.

Been supporting since 1994, season ticket holder since 2001, but i think this is the final straw for me.

Sorry to offend anybody, but this news has really upset me.

• Admin

Hi,

I wish this didn't have to be my first post.......

I would be devastated and disgusted if this is true.

I want to support a football club, not a corporate franchise.

If this turns out to be true, i will try to get a refund on my season ticket (bought before the Barnsley game). I would prefer to give Brislington FC my £420.

Been supporting since 1994, season ticket holder since 2001, but i think this is the final straw for me.

Sorry to offend anybody, but this news has really upset me.

If you missed it, it is not news & has been confirmed as untrue by Adam Baker.

Archived