IGNORED

Could Ashton Gate Be Renamed Next Season?

bcfcbs20

• Admin

It better ******* not be!

Why's it matter? We'll all still call it Ashton Gate, away fans will still call it Ashton Gate and if the club gets their way we'll be moving to a new sponsored stadium anyway so it isn't even heading down a slippery slope. Just a bit of extra money for the next few seasons.

Quick question, where do Newcastle United play?

It is a bit silly, but if it brings in a few quid then why not. We're losing a fair few quid a year, and with the financial fair play rules coming in it's even more important that we maximise any possible sources of income.

It's not like we're all going to stop calling it Ashton Gate anyway, and if someone wants to pay the club to put their name and logo on it then all the best to them.

We'll see.

Where did you hear this? If so this is a joke.

Ashton Gate should remain Ashton Gate until the day it's knocked down.

Someone inside the club, it's a good way for a club like ours to make a bit of extra money but I can't say hearing Ashton Gate called something else will fill me with pride.

It is a bit silly, but if it brings in a few quid then why not. We're losing a fair few quid a year, and with the financial fair play rules coming in it's even more important that we maximise any possible sources of income.

It's not like we're all going to stop calling it Ashton Gate anyway, and if someone wants to pay the club to put their name and logo on it then all the best to them.

We'll see.

+1

With these financial fair play rules coming in, we'll be having sponsoring on everything.

Why's it matter? We'll all still call it Ashton Gate, away fans will still call it Ashton Gate and if the club gets their way we'll be moving to a new sponsored stadium anyway so it isn't even heading down a slippery slope. Just a bit of extra money for the next few seasons.

Bang on - will always be the Gate to us. Money talks I'm afraid chaps, and we need it!

I think it's the way football is nowadays and probably something that was going to happen sooner or later. As echoed above It won't stop anyone (fans, players, the media) calling it Ashton Gate so whilst it is a shame, not a total disaster. Especially if it helps to finance the debt.

+1

With these financial fair play rules coming in, we'll be having sponsoring on everything.

That reminds me of Molineux a few years ago, 'This substitution, sponsored by Ginsters is xxxxxx'. Oh dear.

Tradition? History?

You may not have a problem with selling your soul to the devil but I do.

Maybe I'm in the backward minority that refuses to keep up with the times, but I would feel sick if I had to go to 'The KFC Arena' to watch City.

What about if Tesco offered us a multi million pound sponsorship deal on the basis that we start playing in Blue and White stripes? Where does it end?

Just been on BBC Bristol. Renamed to the Burger King Gate. :(:grr:

I'm having a 'lack of a sense of humour' day, by god I hope you are winding us up! The gas would have a field day with this.

What's next? Chelsea dagger after goals again, sponsored by Tampax? Jeez.

When we get our new stadium pretty much everything will be sponsored. The stadium naming rights will be sold, along with the usual advertising hoardings, shirt sponsors, Adverts for the screens at either end of the stadium etc. It's one of the main reasons we need a new stadium, for the revenue.

If Ashton Gate gets renamed for its last few years i will be sad but perhaps it would be necessary to stop the clubs losses being so substantial. Unfortunately, according to the BBC article on Chelsea buying Battersea power station, naming rights are rarely sold to older grounds (probably due to the clubs history and fans pride) leading to us probably not getting a lot of revenue from such a deal.

Thumbs down to this news if true, but if it is a must, then so be it :(

Tradition? History?

You may not have a problem with selling your soul to the devil but I do.

Maybe I'm in the backward minority that refuses to keep up with the times, but I would feel sick if I had to go to 'The KFC Arena' to watch City.

What about if Tesco offered us a multi million pound sponsorship deal on the basis that we start playing in Blue and White stripes? Where does it end?

I'm afraid that football sold its soul to the devil twenty years ago.

I don't like it any more than you do, but it's the way things are now.

It this is true , then surely it can only benefit the club. Yes we would all love the name to remain the same , but as other have pointed out , it will always be Ashton Gate to us as St James' Park is to the Geordies. We need money to progress as a club and this is one way of attracting it.

I suppose the only other way is for everyone who's not happy to put their hands in their pockets and stump up the same amount of cash as any sponsor is willing to do.

I suppose the only other way is for everyone who's not happy to put their hands in their pockets and stump up the same amount of cash as any sponsor is willing to do.

where does that argument stop?

as Bearded-Red said "What about if Tesco offered us a multi million pound sponsorship deal on the basis that we start playing in Blue and White stripes? Where does it end?"

just because then fans cant match the offer doesn't we should have to take it lying down if we are unhappy about it!?

This is fantastic news... I now have a real reason to stop going now. **** football...it's all bollox these days. Money grabbers...**** the fans over again. And everyone goes along with it... We as fans really need to stop going to football. Right across the country...enough is enough. Let them fall on their swords...lets start again. I hope the whole thing implodes....

Archived