IGNORED

Could Ashton Gate Be Renamed Next Season?

bcfcbs20

How many of the big grounds abroard are named after companies??

You don't hear of the 'Burger King' Nou Camp, or the Stade McDonalds (formerly Velodrome). With the possible exception of Juve, I cannot think of any of the big grand clubs in Italy who have named their geround after a sponsor, Germany I'm less sure on- Allianz is surely one, Dortmund maybe and unsure of others.

Italian clubs rarely needed to name stadiums as they are owned by big businesses or multi-millionaires. German clubs are owned 51% by fans so many clubs do have stadium deals. Wolfsburg is Voltswagen, Leverkusen the pharmaceutical company Bayer.

In the future though nearly all clubs will need to do this as its a valuable revenue stream.

What about the Welsh club with the ridiculous name of 'Total Network Solutions'? What on earth do the fans chant? And what was their name before?

Don't know about that but in the Welsh second division - that's real grassroots footie for you (what's the standard like?) - they have Tata Steel.

So if City were sponsored by Levi's you would buy Wranglers ??? That makes sense !!

If Levi's sponsored our stadium I'd wouldn't buy their jeans because I don't want to encourage that sort of shit. Makes perfect sense.

You could be right, we could end up like the NFL or NHL if players wages are not slashed soon........players & agents are killing football.

We may even be reduced to regional clubs in 50 years time, something like the County Championship in cricket.

The players & agents are the ones that can stop all this madness.

BCAGFC

End up like the NFL in what way? Business is booming, the players are getting long contracts on unbelievable wages (and get paid more for success, not mediocrity), in a league that ensures a much fairer competition through drafts. That is a business model that should be studied and adopted here, surely? Who wants to see Man Utd/City, Chelsea, Arsenal etc etc winning everything because they are the richest? In the NFL you go 0-16, you get first dibs in the draft and build yourself up again. You're shit now, but in 10 years time you're good, and vice versa. Yeah, not something I'd like to see! Say what you want about the Yanks,but they've got their sports sorted, and the players have to get a degree behind them before they get drafted. Fantastic system

Or Vauxhall Motors?! Dagenham & Redbridge?! I imagine if you drill down into the history and tradition of lots of clubs they were set up as works teams. That's definitely the case on the continent

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Dagenham and Redbridge are both places? Dagenham may well have started as a works team, was it Ford who had (maybe still do have) a bug production plant there? Pretty sure Redbridge Forest were quite a successful non league team late 80s but got into financial trouble, so they merged. Could have that completely wrong....

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Dagenham and Redbridge are both places? Dagenham may well have started as a works team, was it Ford who had (maybe still do have) a bug production plant there? Pretty sure Redbridge Forest were quite a successful non league team late 80s but got into financial trouble, so they merged. Could have that completely wrong....

You are entirely right but the Dagenham bit was suffixed with 'motors' I believe as they started as the Ford works team

If Levi's sponsored our stadium I'd wouldn't buy their jeans because I don't want to encourage that sort of shit. Makes perfect sense.

So you wouldn't support anyone that supports Bristol City FC ? You dont drink Blackthorn , wouldn't buy a car from Wessex , or a table from Park furnishers ? Dont wear any adidas products ? Seems wrong to me.

So you wouldn't support anyone that supports Bristol City FC ? You dont drink Blackthorn , wouldn't buy a car from Wessex , or a table from Park furnishers ? Dont wear any adidas products ? Seems wrong to me.

No, you're reading some other fictional shit that I didn't say. I don't like stadium sponsorship so will actively do my little bit to discourage it. Simple as that.

That's where I personally draw the line, I am ok with other endorsements and sponsorships but I despise having the home of a football club named for some opportunist commercial ******* that have nothing to do with the history of the club.

Anyway, you wouldn't catch me dead doing any of those things you mention. Wearing Adidas or drinking Blackthorn? Have a word.

It does matter, if you don't think it does then your wrong.

I am sure that if you asked everyone most people would prefer AG

the only thing at debate surely is whether its worth the money...

no one would want it changed if we got nothing for it so if "it doesn't matter what its called" is your honest opinion then please explain further as you look ridiculous?

Irrelevant. Why would the stadium be renamed for anything but financial purposes?

Sure we'd all prefer Ashton Gate, but saying 'no one would want it changed if we got nothing for it' is a nothing argument. Of course nobody wants it changed, but some are able to see the reasons for it. Simple.

No, you're reading some other fictional shit that I didn't say. I don't like stadium sponsorship so will actively do my little bit to discourage it. Simple as that.

That's where I personally draw the line, I am ok with other endorsements and sponsorships but I despise having the home of a football club named for some opportunist commercial ******* that have nothing to do with the history of the club.

Anyway, you wouldn't catch me dead doing any of those things you mention. Wearing Adidas or drinking Blackthorn? Have a word.

Good to see you can hold a reasoned debate without using swear words!!

Nothing wrong with Blackthorn chief , and if you cant pull off wearing adidas , well I guess you're too old !!

Good to see you can hold a reasoned debate without using swear words!!

Glad to see you're not a sensitive little flower.

Nothing wrong with Blackthorn chief , and if you cant pull off wearing adidas , well I guess you're too old !!

Nothing wrong with Blackthorn? I hope you're joking. Chemical ridden piss.

As for Adidas, I promise to wear some next time I'm going for a night out in the 1980s.

Glad to see you're not a sensitive little flower.

Nothing wrong with Blackthorn? I hope you're joking. Chemical ridden piss.

As for Adidas, I promise to wear some next time I'm going for a night out in the 1980s.

I'm not sensitive mate , just don't see the need for bad language.

Now grab a pint of real ale , and I'll see you at Reflex with your trainers on !!

Us fans might not stop referring to it as Ashton Gate but the media certainly would.

City's opponents at ***************** today are Brighton.

****************** was rocking as Pitman volleyed home to complete his hat trick.

New signings on the way at ************************

Half time report from *************************

Twentyman, 'Ian calling us from ******************** with his after match thoughts' etc.

The 'Welcome to Ashton Gate' signs outside the ground would no doubt be changed to the new name, in fact if it's a name change the sponsor would probably insist all reference to AG as the ground's name was deleted by the club, including by players during interviews.

Not a total disaster? It would be as far as I'm concerned. :angry:

+ ****ing 1!!!

Irrelevant. Why would the stadium be renamed for anything but financial purposes?

Sure we'd all prefer Ashton Gate, but saying 'no one would want it changed if we got nothing for it' is a nothing argument. Of course nobody wants it changed, but some are able to see the reasons for it. Simple.

.....Michael... that's what i was saying! i was replying to someone who says the name doesn't matter, it does.

Surely the only thing at debate is whether the financial outweighs the history.

:bored:

Archived