IGNORED

England Vs France - Match Thread

myol'man

Lovely couple of digs there. Wouldn't be fun to watch from our point of view but I'd find it perversely gratifying if France had over 30 attempts on goal only to lose it to our only attack of the game 1-0 :D

You and me both Ian, bar a 3 or 4 nil victory for us i would see that as a perfect result. Cant do total football? Then do anti-football! Play to your strengths and all that.

The wife and consequently the in-laws are French, not had a great deal to shout about in recent years. Thankfully my expectations are as low as ever for England at a tournament and will be expecting a phone call dishing out the abuse just mins after the final whistle.

If anyone sees a cat flying across the sky over Kingswood at about 6.45 tonight, you'll know we lost.

Probs our best squad their, and no stewart "assist machine" downing

ever thought downings poor assist record thus season was down to piss poor finishing from his colleagues?

I saw a fair few chances go begging from downing this season.

I'm in no way saying he is great, but the stick he gets from the ineptitude of others finishing, is a little harsh.

• Admin

If anyone is betting on the first goalscorer, Paddy Power are refunding all losing bets if England win.

Worth a look.

I'm tempted by Young. (might have a bet on him too)

Then surely the smart bet is to back French first goalscorers?

Our best chance of a win is a dogged 1-0 but the more likely outcome in my mind is the French to win comfortably so get yourself some money on the likes of Ribery, Benzema or Giroud & if England do win 1-0 you get your money back. If England lose you might make some money :)

Then surely the smart bet is to back French first goalscorers?

Our best chance of a win is a dogged 1-0 but the more likely outcome in my mind is the French to win comfortably so get yourself some money on the likes of Ribery, Benzema or Giroud & if England do win 1-0 you get your money back. If England lose you might make some money :)

Is it just me that thinks Ribery is one of the most overated bag of w**k on the planet?

ever thought downings poor assist record thus season was down to piss poor finishing from his colleagues?

I saw a fair few chances go begging from downing this season.

I'm in no way saying he is great, but the stick he gets from the ineptitude of others finishing, is a little harsh.

Maybe, but to be a winger to get no assists through the whole season, and not even 1 goal in the league is quite impressive.. you have to admit?

Maybe, but to be a winger to get no assists through the whole season, and not even 1 goal in the league is quite impressive.. you have to admit?

correct me if i'm wrong but i think he was the Premier League player to have the most shots without scoring a goal.

I'd have picked Woolford ahead of him.

Without doubt, a shocking stat. But having seen some of the deliveries put in, all I can say is, Liverpool seriously need to buy some forwards, there were some shocking misses from decent balls.

I think this will be a much more even game than some predict for a number of reasons. The make up of the French side will by definition make them narrow up top; depending on who they pick to start, Ribery, Nasri and one other are going to want to get inside the full backs and rely on their full backs to get wide. I expect us to defend in an almost 451 manner with Young dropping to the right and Milner tucking in, allowing Parker to play as a genuine screen, possibly even man marking whoever plays as France's central attacking midfielder. This will allow Milner and Gerrard to occupy (presumably) M'Vila and Cabaye and potentially leave space out wide to be exploited by our best players, i.e. Young, Cole (and potentially AOC), on the break. The squad is rubbish but the tactics may not be

Ad to this that despite their unbeaten run France had to rely on a highly fortunate comeback against Bosnia to qualify and that players like Ribery, Ben Arfa, Nasri and Benzema have never been as good for France as for their club teams (sounds familiar) and I don't think it's as daunting. Also, a Newcastle-supporting friend of mine claims Cabaye (who I rate highly) went off the boil at the end of the season so there is limited cause for optimism

On the down side I just heard that England have NEVER won the opening game of the European Champs...

I honestly don't think the French are as good as we're making them out to be. They're a team of individuals which are slowly becoming a unit again, but probably not quickly enough to give anybody too much hassle. Their defenders are very hit and miss as well, and gone are the days of Zidane, Henry and Trezauget (or however it was spelt). For me, Young and Ox could give them a lot to think about.

That said, I son't think this will be an open game, played very tight, us more on the back foot, as others said, like Denmark in many ways. I think we'll score the one, but can't decide if the French will score, and if they will get more than one if they do.

I think Woy will do Ok. My gut tells me a 1 all Dwaw. We are without Wooney which is not good but hopefully Tewwy, Geward can help wevitalise the team. Still confused over the Wio situation though apawt from the fact he is cwap. Wibery is the one to look out for.

I shall be wooting for the boys in our local bar in Fwance

Without doubt, a shocking stat. But having seen some of the deliveries put in, all I can say is, Liverpool seriously need to buy some forwards, there were some shocking misses from decent balls.

Yeah liverpool need a player in the mould of robbie fowler or young michael owen.. if they got a decent striker they'd be well away..

• Admin

Is it just me that thinks Ribery is one of the most overated bag of w**k on the planet?

No, that would be Stewart Downing by a succession of England managers.

Ribery, whilst not being the world beater that he is often made out to be, still has an end product that he brings to matches on occasion.

So glad Chamberlain got a start. Nothing seems to phase that lad from what i have seen, could be a real thorn in the side to the French.

We're certainly carrying on where we left off in the friendlies. Keep it tight then hit them on the break.

For all of France's good record in qualifying, and embarrassment

of riches in midfield and up front!!!! they don't score many, their for column in qualifying was not great.

If we can nick a goal, it will be interesting to see how they respond.

Seeing Oxlade Chamberlain in the starting 11 is a real boost - glad that Roy is giving the lad his chance

I would've played Carroll instead of Welbeck, get him to get in there and smash them up a bit, and have Young feeding off the pieces

Have been saying 0-1 all day, but seeing the Ox has cheered me up enough to now say 1-1

Come on England!

I think Woy will do Ok. My gut tells me a 1 all Dwaw. We are without Wooney which is not good but hopefully Tewwy, Geward can help wevitalise the team. Still confused over the Wio situation though apawt from the fact he is cwap. Wibery is the one to look out for.

I shall be wooting for the boys in our local bar in Fwance

I think eventually Roy will get it right but not this tournament I fear, your a braver man than I Tone, I will be locking my doors, drawing my curtains and hoping my rugby loving French neighbour doesn't realise that the game is on, mind you I have got man flu.

• Admin

Nagging doubt that England don't start Euros well, I believe our record in opening games is P6 W0 D3 L3.

Hopefully we can take a leaf out of our cricketing team's book who have spent the last 24 months rewriting record books :)

Archived