IGNORED

England Vs France - Match Thread

myol'man

Bit embarrassing that the best we can do against a poor France side is park the bus. Not that I expected anything else.

When will English players learn to pass the ball?

When the top Premier League teams are not 90% composed of foreigners.

When the top Premier League teams are not 90% composed of foreigners.

Chicken or egg?

I'd say when grass roots coaching is invested in and English football managers and fans get past the idea that pace and power are more important in a young player than control and skill.

Chicken or egg?

I'd say when grass roots coaching is invested in and English football managers and fans get past the idea that pace and power are more important in a young player than control and skill.

That's what happens when 12-year-olds play competitve footy on huge pitches.

Big difference in Hodgson's England side is that we appear to be playing to our strengths now. We dont have the players to be pinging it about like Spain and France, but today they did what they do well. Looked solid, tactically sound, organised and still offered a threat going forwards. It might not win over many fans but if they keep putting the work rate in like they did today they will easily get out of the group.

That's what happens when 12-year-olds play competitve footy on huge pitches.

That's definitely one of many problems. There's the funding for coaching / qualificiations, the poor English mentality towards the game, the lack of facilities and the absence of decent links between professional club academies and education and grass roots teams too.

Poor? They're 22 games unbeaten and have some top players.

Have to agree with little flute, there 10x the team the got dump out the same competition 4 years ago, got some very talented players from the best clubs across europe and on paper probaly had a stronger side than us today. Good point in the end.

Agreed. France are not a poor side. The most important issue here was not to get beat in the opening game of the group stages.. We did ok especially compared to the world cup shambles. That will give us confidence going into the next games. At least we looked interested this time!!

At times I thought we passed the ball quite well and there was some could play upfront. However as the game went on we dropped deeper and deeper and just resorted to defending our penalty box, that meant when he won the ball back invariably we had to hit the ball long and couldn't keep it.

Yes, poor. I keep hearing about this unbeaten run, but 11 of those games were friendlies and the competitive ones were against some rather weak sides.

France didn't actually apply any real pressure despite being gifted possession for pretty much the whole game. It wasn't "resolute organised defending", it was park the bus stuff coupled with an inability to pass.

Bit harsh.

I agree that France are not the best team in this tournament by a long way, but I can't fault the tactics used as we just aint as good as them in an open game....at this time.

I thought we did well enough and got a bit of confidence from that game, maybe a bit more open against Sweden and ukraine.

I do agree with the tactics used because of our fairly severely limited footballing ability, I just find it quite sad that it's so easily accepted.

At times I thought we passed the ball quite well and there was some could play upfront. However as the game went on we dropped deeper and deeper and just resorted to defending our penalty box, that meant when he won the ball back invariably we had to hit the ball long and couldn't keep it.

All very true. At times it seemed to me that I was back in the Dolman watching the sort of City-esque perfomance witnessed all too frequently last year. Why couldn't I have been born Brazilian?

Yes, poor. I keep hearing about this unbeaten run, but 11 of those games were friendlies and the competitive ones were against some rather weak sides.

France didn't actually apply any real pressure despite being gifted possession for pretty much the whole game. It wasn't "resolute organised defending", it was park the bus stuff coupled with an inability to pass.

If they're poor what are Sweden and Ukraine? They aren't rubbish and they aren't as good as France.

Bit embarrassing that the best we can do against a poor France side is park the bus. Not that I expected anything else.

When will English players learn to pass the ball?

not poor @ all not as good as they used to be granted but a long way off being poor iam resonibley pleased with the performance ,one of my main concerns were johnson/milner but pleasently suprised both put in a decent shift :englandflag: :englandflag: :englandflag:

I think the fans who say that was awful or we were rubbish need to have a re-think.

If we played the way these fans wanted to we would get battered as France have much better players technically and better attacking players.

I expect us to have more imagination vs Sweden and Ukraine due to them being weaker on paper and won't dominate the game as much.

Overall we played with pride, professionalism and as a team. Progress in my opinion.

If they're poor what are Sweden and Ukraine? They aren't rubbish and they aren't as good as France.

I said "a poor France side". Which part of that didn't you understand?

Not that they have anything to do with it but to answer your question:

What are Sweden and Ukraine? Two teams that we will also struggle against if we can't complete passes without even being under pressure.

I think the fans who say that was awful or we were rubbish need to have a re-think.

If we played the way these fans wanted to we would get battered as France have much better players technically and better attacking players on paper.

I expect us to have more imagination vs Sweden and Ukraine due to them being weaker on paper and won't dominate the game as much.

Overall we played with pride, professionalism and as a team. Progress in my opinion.

Think about what you're actually posting?

The fans who say we were awful are wrong because we don't have the ability?

You're interpreting criticisms of our woeful ability as criticisms of our tactics, which they are not. At least not on my part.

I'm just disappointed that we are so poor in ability all we can do is park the bus.

You argued with this but are now apparently agreeing?

I said "a poor France side". Which part of that didn't you understand?

Not that they have anything to do with it but to answer your question:

What are Sweden and Ukraine? Two teams that we will also struggle against if we can't complete passes without even being under pressure.

England vs Belgium.. Belgium had the vast majority of the possession, passed it well which we never.

England 1-0 Belgium - It can be done :)

Archived