IGNORED

England Vs France - Match Thread

myol'man

Think about what you're actually posting?

The fans who say we were awful are wrong because we don't have the ability?

You're interpreting criticisms of our woeful ability as criticisms of our tactics, which they are not. At least not on my part.

I'm just disappointed that we are so poor in ability all we can do is park the bus.

You argued with this but are now apparently agreeing?

We have some very good players. Joe Hart, Ashley Cole, John Terry, Steven Gerrard, Scott Parker, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Welbeck from the 11 today, i'm glad we 'parked the bus' but we have ability.

Think about what you're actually posting?

The fans who say we were awful are wrong because we don't have the ability?

You're interpreting criticisms of our woeful ability as criticisms of our tactics, which they are not. At least not on my part.

I'm just disappointed that we are so poor in ability all we can do is park the bus.

You argued with this but are now apparently agreeing?

Yes, poor. I keep hearing about this unbeaten run, but 11 of those games were friendlies and the competitive ones were against some rather weak sides.

France didn't actually apply any real pressure despite being gifted possession for pretty much the whole game. It wasn't "resolute organised defending", it was park the bus stuff coupled with an inability to pass.

Well ive watched the game, listened to the analysis, listened to the experts, seen a couple of local news reports and your the only one so far with that view ?

England vs Belgium.. Belgium had the vast majority of the possession, passed it well which we never.

England 1-0 Belgium - It can be done :)

Not sure I see the connection.

We have some very good players. Joe Hart, Ashley Cole, John Terry, Steven Gerrard, Scott Parker, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Welbeck from the 11 today, i'm glad we 'parked the bus' but we have ability.

If we had ability we wouldn't need to park the bus. All of our players bar perhaps Rooney lack a level of control and ability on the ball that the players of half a dozen other European nations would have at 17/18. Considering we have the richest FA and league in the world that's more than a little disappointing.

Anyway, you seem to be contradicting yourself and going off on tangents so I'll leave it now before you beat me with experience.

Well ive watched the game, listened to the analysis, listened to the experts, seen a couple of local news reports and your the only one so far with that view ?

I can see more than one person agreeing in this thread? I wonder how this will be looked back on after the next two games...

No he is not, but why comment on one aspect of the team when there were good performances from all the team and even better from O..Chamberlain and Wellbeck? Teams that progress into the final improve through the tournament, and England can and will.

Personally I thought Welbeck did not have a great game. But I caveat that with the fact that service was lacking. Each to their own. As far as "good performances from all the team", I think we might have been watching different games.

Personally I thought Welbeck did not have a great game. But I caveat that with the fact that service was lacking. Each to their own. As far as "good performances from all the team", I think we might have been watching different games.

I think all the 11 players that started put in a great shift, Milner was our worst player, shortly followed by Johnson imo.

Welbeck was fantastic, made some clever runs, worked hard and made a great block. Didn't have many opportunites in attack but was impressed.

Good performance and the fact that some of us are disappointed we did not get 3 points shows what a good start this was. We were solid at the back and our work-rate was tremendous. We didn't play beautiful football but we know we're not the best team by a long shot, so what do people expect? I'm pleased with our start and with solid foundations I'm far more optimistic about this tournament than I was in 2010. Those criticising the display need to ask themselves what exactly they expected from this England side,

Good performance and the fact that some of us are disappointed we did not get 3 points shows what a good start this was. We were solid at the back and our work-rate was tremendous. We didn't play beautiful football but we know we're not the best team by a long shot, so what do people expect? I'm pleased with our start and with solid foundations I'm far more optimistic about this tournament than I was in 2010. Those criticising the display need to ask themselves what exactly they expected from this England side,

+1

I think all the 11 players that started put in a great shift, Milner was our worst player, shortly followed by Johnson imo.

Welbeck was fantastic, made some clever runs, worked hard and made a great block. Didn't have many opportunites in attack but was impressed.

I was with you on this thread until the first paragraph. I think Johnson had a good game, though perhaps that's only by relatively low standards. I also thought Milner put in a decent shift and did ok

I was with you on this thread until the first paragraph. I think Johnson had a good game, though perhaps that's only by relatively low standards. I also thought Milner put in a decent shift and did ok

I think Johnson is very decent going forward, but very average in defence.

Milner worked very hard which is expected but gave away the ball more than anyone else, strayed offside on a few occasions aswell as missing that relatively easy goalscoring opportunity.

I think Johnson is very decent going forward, but very average in defence.

Milner worked very hard which is expected but gave away the ball more than anyone else, strayed offside on a few occasions aswell as missing that relatively easy goalscoring opportunity.

To be honest, no one stood out as being particularly poor to me in the same way that no one stood out as being particularly good. It was a good solid display and as a glass half full kind of bloke I prefer to think that everyone did well in the circumstances

Thought we could have shown more going forward.

I hope we line up something like this on Friday:

Hart

Johnson Terry Lescott Cole

Milner Parker

Walcott Gerrard Young

Welbeck/Carroll

I think we'll probably start with the team pretty much as it was. Perhaps Milner will tuck in more, Ox push up and we'll be more 433

Thought we could have shown more going forward.

I hope we line up something like this on Friday:

Hart

Johnson Terry Lescott Cole

Milner Parker

Walcott Gerrard Young

Welbeck/Carroll

Like this team but would swap the positions of Gerrard and Milner. Gerrard showed today how well he can break up play and win the ball back. And I always thought that Milner played best when he played in the hole for Villa before he left chasing big bucks at Man City

milner worst player are sure ashley young won that by a mile

Milner our worst player? I don't think you've ever written anything I agree with!!

Does he not have enough pace for you?

Milner our worst player? I don't think you've ever written anything I agree with!!

Does he not have enough pace for you?

What did he do that was so good?

He gave the ball away more than anyone else, he strayed offside when he shouldn't have, he missed a great chance, he was very frustrating to watch.

What did he do that was so good?

He gave the ball away more than anyone else, he strayed offside when he shouldn't have, he missed a great chance, he was very frustrating to watch.

not a chance bj, him and glen johnson linked up pretty well going foward put some decent balls in and helped johnson out in defence wtf did young do anwsers on a postcard to brizzle aka stato

not a chance bj, him and glen johnson linked up pretty well going foward put some decent balls in and helped johnson out in defence wtf did young do anwsers on a postcard to brizzle aka stato

Young made a good start in the first 20-30 minutes, played a great ball into Milner who missed.

It was very difficult for him due to Diarra more or less holding his hand the whole game, however Milner in my opinion worked hard but didn't produce.

Ribery was given too many opportunities to run at Johnson and then Milner offered very little going forward.

I can't say i'm happy with a point but it was a fair result on balance of play. France for all their attacking flair didn't really threaten that much because we were well organised at the back. my only worry is that going forward we lacked any creativy and flair ourselves and it was far to pedestrian at times when we needed a bit of tempo. With Sweden loosing tonight they will have to attack us from the start and that will play into our hands Friday so here's hoping we see a more flowing gamepraying%20smiley.gif .

On another note Ribery is one ugly mofo.

I thought we played exactly as i thought we would, and made a pretty good fist of it. France disappointed me much more.

My worry is what we are like in 'must win' games - do we have a plan B if we go a goal down...kind of how Italy fans must have felt 20 years ago. Saddens me that we look a generation behind most of the teams out there the way we are able to play, but not surprised. This style is our one shot, but its also a one trick pony!

Archived