IGNORED

Tour De France 2012

Harry

It's very dependent on what they and their team achieve. Basic salary can be anything from 30k for a brand new rider, a good rider like David Millar or say would earn more around 75 - 100k, the super domestiques like Rodgers and Porte in the sky train would probably earn double to triple that, these are guys who can obviously make a difference when you're trying to win tours and they can in their on right win races. Then you can double that 350-600k for contenders for titles and double to triple that for guys who are marquee riders the Wiggins, Evans, Schlecks of this world £1-3 million. Then there's bonuses for winning stuff, merchandising, endorsements and any number of performance related bonuses.

You won't see Wiggens out the saddle sprinting uphill he just doesn't have the burst. I think Froome either vastly over estimated his Leaders ability or he was being a bit naughty because he should know that Wiggens wouldn't be sprinting up the mountain when there's no need and he as just showing the world he was feeling great and could carry on. It's created a story an probably means more money to Froome in the long run so fair play to him.

I think it made sense for Cavendish to work with Brailsford for this season but for his Olympic campaign but his Grand Tour future must lie elsewhere. GC is so much more important that anything else, and Cav's expensive for what he can bring to a team. And for his perspective he's not being given the best chance to win so it makes no sense for either to continue long term from a sporting point of view.

I think you might see the balance of the sky team change for next season and they will have Wiggins team and Cav will have a lead out train, other teams manage it and i'm sure sky can achieve it with the correct additions.

Great stage yesterday, it looks like no one is strong enough to beat Wiggins. Fair play to Evans and Nibali for having a go. I thought Evan's attack was very clever but ultimately he did not have the legs to pull it off.

Sky were very impressive and did not panic but kept the tempo going and reeled them in slowly. Chris Froome has been awesome for Sky.

It is Wiggin's race to lose now.

• Admin

Fair play to Evans and Nibali for having a go. I thought Evan's attack was very clever but ultimately he did not have the legs to pull it off.

Fair play indeed, but to attack so far from the finish was a sh*t or bust move. Unfortunately for him it didn't work.

All good for Wiggin's and Sky though :)

Has there ever been 4 different British stage winners in the same Tour before does anyone know?

no, for sure - there's only been a few british stage winners overall - Barry Hoban, Sean yates, Robert Millar, Chris Boardman, and a bloke called Michael Wright (I think) never 4 in the same tour

and not forgetting this bloke

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-18819767

Yeah, but for the wrong team.

He's one of the road team for the olympics along with Cav/Wiggo & Froome.

Great time for British cylcling.

I thought today's stage was a bit of a drab to be honest. The Sky boys decided that nobody up front was a threat and they laid it back. When they were cycling just after the food point it was like a Sunday stroll around the village. Nobody even seems to want to take on Sky at the moment. Good to see them supporting Cav a bit more in the intermediate sprint.

Chris Froome has looked class, it's a given that while Bradley is still in the race, Froome will do all he can to get him across the line in Paris with the yellow jersey.

But what happens next year when he will presumably think he can win it himself, can you have two potential winners in a team going against each other, or will he have to move teams?

I think I will take a trip into the mountains this week to catch some of the action, I wasn't going to as it's such a time consuming effort to get there before they close the roads, but as the Brits are doing so well...

After a few days of almost non eventful racing its time for the big one. Brutal climbs. If Bradley comes through today with the yellow jersey still attached he'll be close to glory.

After a few days of almost non eventful racing its time for the big one. Brutal climbs. If Bradley comes through today with the yellow jersey still attached he'll be close to glory.

Wiggins was on the radio earlier today saying that todays stage is ''riding a bike up hill'' He made is sound easy.

It is roasting here today, hottest day of the year so far, I know it's a bit cooler in the mountains but this is certainly the hottest day of the tour, christ knows how they will do them 3 climbs.

Harry, who started this thread is up there today, I met him for a drink on Monday. I hope he's got a decent spot to watch it, the camper vans have been bagging the best places for days.

It's a complete Sky team effort so far. Cav even put a shift in until the second climb. If Evans & Nibali are going to go it's going to be on the last downhill strech imo. I wonder if Sky might go all out on the climb up..

It is roasting here today, hottest day of the year so far, I know it's a bit cooler in the mountains but this is certainly the hottest day of the tour, christ knows how they will do them 3 climbs.

Harry, who started this thread is up there today, I met him for a drink on Monday. I hope he's got a decent spot to watch it, the camper vans have been bagging the best places for days.

Did he have a bag of carpet tacks with him? :D

Did he have a bag of carpet tacks with him? :D

Ha! No he was in Carcassonne that day. I can only imagine it was someone who had escaped from the local mental hospital, which by the way, will make for a great photo session when it finally closes it's doors. An old creepy Chateau.

Class apart from the rest. Nibali is in last chance salon territory tomorrow, surely.. if he doesn't somehow take 2-3 minutes off Wiggins then its over as he'll easily take a minute or so off everyone in the time trial.

I thought Wiggins/Froome never looked in any difficulty today. The TV commentators were saying that they were surprise that no-one seemed inclined to try and push Sky earlier in the race and none of the GC contenders wanted to try and break Wiggins. Even when NibAli made a spurt they were dismissive of his efforts saying it was too little too late.

A word for Tommy Voeckler. You just can't help liking him. All heart and passion and another fantastic stage win today which in the end was pretty comfortable. Shame he's not a Brit!

Question is - with only just over 2 mins between Froome and Wiggins will Froome see this as a great chance of glory and win the Tour and ignore team orders and go for it?

He won't ignore team orders, he knows his role. I actually don't think he's got it him and its getting tiresome everyone talking him up. I think if Wiggins wanted to he could put him in his place but he doesn't need to. Sky will tee Froome up for the Vuelta without any shadow of a doubt.

I thought Wiggins/Froome never looked in any difficulty today. The TV commentators were saying that they were surprise that no-one seemed inclined to try and push Sky earlier in the race and none of the GC contenders wanted to try and break Wiggins. Even when NibAli made a spurt they were dismissive of his efforts saying it was too little too late.

A word for Tommy Voeckler. You just can't help liking him. All heart and passion and another fantastic stage win today which in the end was pretty comfortable. Shame he's not a Brit!

Question is - with only just over 2 mins between Froome and Wiggins will Froome see this as a great chance of glory and win the Tour and ignore team orders and go for it?

Spot on RR, Tommy V is a star.

Today was the evidence if any was needed that Team Sky and not Bradders as an individual have broken Evan's in the mountains and that is not a criticism it's just been a team effort and Bradders has done what he does best in the time trials, been awesome in the mountains and even found time to lead Bossan Hagen out and a special mention to Cav who has proved what a team player he can be.

if tomorrow goes without a hitch only disaster can stop Bradders and I really hope that Cav goes for it in Paris what a showdown that will be Cav, Griepel, Goss and Sagan a fitting end to the Le Tour 2012.

He won't ignore team orders, he knows his role. I actually don't think he's got it him and its getting tiresome everyone talking him up. I think if Wiggins wanted to he could put him in his place but he doesn't need to. Sky will tee Froome up for the Vuelta without any shadow of a doubt.

The Vuelta passes near my house on the last day. I'll nip out on my mountain bike and cheer Froome on.

As I was saying...(sorry, double post)...

Froome & Wiggins are absolutely smashing the field. Wowsers.

Respect to them both but Froome in particular. In the final 3k he could have probably caught Valverde and won the stage but slowed down to cajole and wait for Wiggins. Fair play to him to staying with team orders. I'm sure many other riders in the same position would have gone for it particularly if they were just 2.05 mins behind the yellow jersey. Takes strong discipline and if/when Wiggins wins the Tour he'll no doubt give serious credit to his Team Sky team mates. For me Froome has been a real star.

It's possible Frome could have taken a minute or so off Wiggins on a couple of stages but I also think if Wiggins wanted to there are a couple of times he could have broken from him and that's before we talk about the time trial.

Almost feels like people are trying to undermine Wiggins in only the way the British can!

Archived