IGNORED

Pitman

leadman

Anybody else rather lose Stead? If we were to sell a striker?

Stead has a habit of doing well at a club for a couple of years before moving on. He isnt getting any younger and rarely, if ever, starts more then 30 games a season.

Pitman is a quaility player, who will score goals and have a decent re sell value.

I'm a big Pitman fan but Stead brings an awful lot to the team. He finished last season well because he had a run of games and was fit.

It sounds to me like he is in top condition again and has started pre-season very well with a goal and an assist. He could be a big player for us next season.

What absolute poppycock - do you really think he was complaining about lack of starts at Bournemouth?

A disgraceful character assassination from you with absolutely no credible foundation.

I worked in B'muff for a while in the late 80's and keep in touch with a couple of blokes who are both big Cherries fans and both said that he was well known at B'muff for being a whinger, especially on the pitch when his team mates didn't play him in or pick him out. His petulant attitude was there for all to see. Pretty much what other Cherries fans said when they posted on here when we signed him.. That said they reckoned he was brilliant for them and the best finisher they'd seen at Dean Court since Defoe.

Del said in an interview last season that Brett ''can't hide his frustration at not starting''. He later said on Pitman's attitude was spot on. Back tracking in other words.

So........my ''character assassination'' as you put is not actually that at all.

Anybody else rather lose Stead? If we were to sell a striker?

Stead has a habit of doing well at a club for a couple of years before moving on. He isnt getting any younger and rarely, if ever, starts more then 30 games a season.

Pitman is a quaility player, who will score goals and have a decent re sell value.

No Stead always runs his heart out always give 110% and can defend I'd rather have stead in the side above anyone of our players

In fairness, I can't see BP's career at City being anything other than a constant cycle of....

isn't fit/hard working enough to warrant a start - comes off the bench & scores a goal - people call for him to be given a start - he gets given a start and contributes very little over a whole 90 mins - gets dropped to the bench - comes off the bench and gets a goal............. and so on and so on.

it might be best for all concerned if he was to move on, IF it meant the deal was right for us and gave us scope to sign a decent alternative that is going to fit in here better.

I would keep both for now.

Stead has bursts of very good form, when he can appear focussed and very impressive, i.e. the end of last season. When he's off form though he appears gangly and unimpressive.

We have Ryan Taylor to step in as a very adequate replacement on such occasions from what we've seen so far.

Pitman has shown he can link well with any forward partner, whether a traditional target man like Stead, or a more similar player to himself in Maynard.

What we need is an understudy to Pitman in the same way Taylor understudies Stead - if we sign a player who comes in as first choice ( e.g. Baldock) then Pitman will understandably want to seek first team football at a rival Championship club.

No Stead always runs his heart out always give 110% and can defend I'd rather have stead in the side above anyone of our players

Actually Stead's City career, like his career as a whole, has been very patchy in terms of appearances and goals.

For whatever reason he also seems to have fallen in and out of favour at his numerous clubs.

He doesn't always run his heart out, that is a myth, and I have seen many games where he has looked lethargic and uninspired.

He was excellent at the end of last season, no argument there, but his career history shows he cannot maintain that committed form for extended periods.

I worked in B'muff for a while in the late 80's and keep in touch with a couple of blokes who are both big Cherries fans and both said that he was well known at B'muff for being a whinger, especially on the pitch when his team mates didn't play him in or pick him out. His petulant attitude was there for all to see. Pretty much what other Cherries fans said when they posted on here when we signed him.. That said they reckoned he was brilliant for them and the best finisher they'd seen at Dean Court since Defoe.

Del said in an interview last season that Brett ''can't hide his frustration at not starting''. He later said on Pitman's attitude was spot on. Back tracking in other words.

So........my ''character assassination'' as you put is not actually that at all.

Back tracking?

Or maybe Pitman doesn't like not starting and works hard in training to show Del he should? We all deal in conjecture on here, but you are one of the worst at masquerading it as fact.

In fairness, I can't see BP's career at City being anything other than a constant cycle of....

isn't fit/hard working enough to warrant a start - comes off the bench & scores a goal - people call for him to be given a start - he gets given a start and contributes very little over a whole 90 mins - gets dropped to the bench - comes off the bench and gets a goal............. and so on and so on.

There you have it.

Pitman is clearly a player who needs regular starts without constantly being under the threat of being dropped again after one game if he doesn't hit top form immediately.

How could he play at his best under that sort of intense pressure and why put him under it when he has shown that if we persevere with him he will surely get goals?

Your quote is in direct contrast to what what Del has actually stated - that Pitman has always trained hard, been patient for his chance, and never been a moments trouble.

C'mon Del isn't going to slag off Pitman in public. He's very much a 'players manager', he even backed Maynard and Cisse the wantaways to the very end. He's always very positive about his players in public.

The reality IMO is that Pitman does sulk, we've seen that on the pitch. Ricky Foster stuck two fingers up at Pitman last season at Ipswich becuase he didn't feel Pitman was putting a shift in. Ok, that's not a ringing endorsement on Foster's part either!

I've seen enough of Brett (and heard enough) to know that his attitude isn't as good as it could be and he is lazy on occassion.

Can't doubt his finishing ability but can doubt his contribution over 90 mins which he has demonstrated to not be enough on several occassions.

It it a shame it isn't working out for Pitman here. I always liked the look of him, always thought he could get us a goal. A proper natural striker imo - isn't blessed with pace, but has developed other facets to his game as a result & I would prefer that than a lightning quick striker with no football brain/end product. I spouse clarky is similar in that respect but not in the same class mainly because he has no presence like pitman has.

Obviously there is some sort of baggage associated with bret. Not sure where this attitude problem lies or whether it has been prevalent at his past clubs, but it is definitely there & unless it is addressed soon he will be gone. Shame, coz I rate him and although 25 a season us over optimistic I think he could achieve high teens.

We possibly have some other strikers arriving and people here are already adamant they want to sell the biggest goal threat this club presents :facepalm:

If Baldock and Davies both come here and it works out for them then Brett would be surplus to requirements, but that's two big ifs.

Sell him now and we risk fielding less-than-10 goal a season 'strikers'. Oh and watch him come here for an opponent and score a hat-trick!

It certainly was - you originally stated the comments above as fact. They are nothing of the sort.

You now say they are based on the comments of others, but that's not how you started out, and it doesn't serve to give them validity.

All genuine goalscorers are single minded and will naturally show their frustration when the ball doesn't reach then when they have taken up goalscoring positions.

Maynard was another example.

That in itself doesn't make them either petulant, or whingers, and there is no foundation to your assertion that Pitman whinges and complains to whoever will listen about lack of starts.

It seems you just made that up completely.

As for Del, he would fully expect any player not playing who has confidence in their own ability to be 'frustrated', and he would see that as a good personality trait rather than an attitude to condemn.

Del has very clearly gone out of his way to praise Pitman's general attitude time and time again, so second hand spiteful comments from the likes of you and fans from his former club can safely be ignored.

It's really not a pleasant myth to perpetuate about one of your own players especially as it seems the more times it is wrongfully stated the more it seems to become accepted fact.

Even though they seem to sign loads of ex Bournemouth players it doesn't look likely that Pitman's going to Burnley to replace Jay Rodriguez anyway, as they're signing another one, (Sam Vokes) today.

How many teams in the championship have luxury players?........answer....not many.....if any.

There is no doubt that Pitman has great finishing ability but in todays football, you have to have the workrate to go with it....defending starts from the front.

Unless said luxury player contributes more to a team than without them (QPR & Taarabt), a team cannot 'carry' players in the championship.

And as we haven't got the players to cover for BPs lack of workrate, he will always be an impact player at BCFC.

BCAGFC

C'mon Del isn't going to slag off Pitman in public. He's very much a 'players manager', he even backed Maynard and Cisse the wantaways to the very end. He's always very positive about his players in public.

The reality IMO is that Pitman does sulk, we've seen that on the pitch. Ricky Foster stuck two fingers up at Pitman last season at Ipswich becuase he didn't feel Pitman was putting a shift in. Ok, that's not a ringing endorsement on Foster's part either!

I've seen enough of Brett (and heard enough) to know that his attitude isn't as good as it could be and he is lazy on occassion.

Can't doubt his finishing ability but can doubt his contribution over 90 mins which he has demonstrated to not be enough on several occassions.

Right, and I would say that every City single player could be severely criticised for their contribution, and attitude, on numerous occasions last season.

I don't know Pitman, no doubt he's not perfect, but I don't agree that Del is being economical with the truth.

He sympathised with Pitman's lack of starts, and his frustrations because he knows he's a good player, and he could understand why he might not be happy about being left out.

He simply couldn't be accommodated in to the system Del felt obliged to play with the players we had while we were struggling.

That doesn't mean Pitman is particularly the 'bad egg' (there are no doubt all sorts of diverse 'characters' in the squad) that many on here seem to want to portray him.

As for Foster apparently sticking up the V's to Pitman, if true hopefully Del had a very strong word with the upstart newcomer and he was quickly forced to apologise.

How many teams in the championship have luxury players?........answer....not many.....if any.

BCAGFC

He's not a luxury player, that's clearly nonsense.

If he leaves it's extremely likely it will be to a rival Championship club.

He's not a luxury player, that's clearly nonsense.

If he leaves it's extremely likely it will be to a rival Championship club.

Well other players have to work harder when BP is in the side (closing down defenders/midfielders), so i would class a player than doesn;t work hard as a luxury.

Obviously we have differing standards of the players worth to our team.

BCAGFC

Well other players have to work harder when BP is in the side (closing down defenders/midfielders)

Not what I've observed watching him play at all, he does a lot of running and links play as well as Stead. He just makes sure that he's in and around the box when we have the ball, something we lack without him.

Well other players have to work harder when BP is in the side (closing down defenders/midfielders), so i would class a player than doesn;t work hard as a luxury. Obviously we have differing standards of the players worth to our team.

Your defence of BP is starting to sound like my defence of Maynard........everyone suggested I needed therapy, I suggest you need some as well unless you come to terms with BPs difficiences.

BCAGFC

Not what I've observed watching him play at all, he does a lot of running and links play as well as Stead. He just makes sure that he's in and around the box when we have the ball, something we lack without him.

Obviously we watch a different game then because I have seen BP give up on many occasions when Stead/Wood/Maynard (when focused) would have chased/closed players down and 5 times out of 10 forced an error.

BCAGFC

Obviously we watch a different game then because I have seen BP give up on many occasions when Stead/Wood/Maynard (when focused) would have chased/closed players down and 5 times out of 10 forced an error.

I guess so. For the avoidance of doubt I was watching the games he scored goals in. You realise his goals/starts rate for us is 20/33, better than 50%? It's frankly ridiculous that he hasn't started more regularly.

I guess so. For the avoidance of doubt I was watching the games he scored goals in. You realise his goals/starts rate for us is 20/33, better than 50%? It's frankly ridiculous that he hasn't started more regularly.

It would be interesting to know how many of the games that he STARTED in, he actually scored in though.

I suspect that many of those goals have come from the bench. It seems that way anyway, although i could be wrong. When he is given a starting role, he more often than not is ineffective - for whatever reason.

That was my opinion which I've since changed. Pitman always looks a threat when the service was decent but tends to go awol when the team was struggling, which was frequently the case for much of last season.

McInnes must have decided that the goal threat he offered was worth sacrificing for his lack work rate and team contribution, much as Millen did.

In a team thats playing well and providing decent service to the strikers I'm certain Pitman is capable of 25 goals a season. He hasn't had that service so far at City. Maybe next season.....

Only in Football could you accuse the most talented player at the most important and difficult aspect of the game (putting the thing in the net) a 'luxury player'. Brett isn't the quickest, but apart from that his weaknesses are largely exaggerated on this forum. If you'd never seen him play and based your opinion on him solely through reading posts on here you would come to the conclusion that all he does is stand up front and when he gets the chance he scores. The fact he regularly drops deep and links midfield to defence, can pick a pass better than the majority of our midfield, is surprisingly impressive in the air and makes extremely intelligent runs, which usually the rest of the team aren't clever enough to notice, are all overlooked while for some reason he is made out to be a lazy goal poacher who when he doesn't score is completely hopeless.

Only in Football could you accuse the most talented player at the most important and difficult aspect of the game (putting the thing in the net) a 'luxury player'. Brett isn't the quickest, but apart from that his weaknesses are largely exaggerated on this forum. If you'd never seen him play and based your opinion on him solely through reading posts on here you would come to the conclusion that all he does is stand up front and when he gets the chance he scores. The fact he regularly drops deep and links midfield to defence, can pick a pass better than the majority of our midfield, is surprisingly impressive in the air and makes extremely intelligent runs, which usually the rest of the team aren't clever enough to notice, are all overlooked while for some reason he is made out to be a lazy goal poacher who when he doesn't score is completely hopeless.

For every overly negative appraisal of his abilities that you might find on here, I would suggest that you have gone to the complete other end of the spectrum with that assesment of his talents!

For every overly negative appraisal of his abilities that you might find on here, I would suggest that you have gone to the complete other end of the spectrum with that assesment of his talents!

What have I said that isn't true?

He does drop deep to attempt to receive the ball

He can pick a pass

He is surprsingly decent in the air for the type of player he is

He does largely make up for his lack of pace by making intelligent runs...

Without going back and checking, iirc he scored 2 from starts last season, vs Reading and vs Leicester

And that's all I'm saying on the matter as this debate comes up over and over and over again.

As I thought - very ineffective when started. Much more useful as an impact player from the bench. I think he will have to dramatically improve if he is to comand a more regular starting place. imo.

Archived