IGNORED

Gillingham Match Thread

marcofisher

Bit of an exaggeration there Nibor; not quite a 'squad rebuilding' more a 'few additions'.

I suspect Del will be as annoyed as those who went tonight in what appears to be a lack of effort. It is not the loss, albeit that is pretty important, but more of not giving it a right go. However inconsequential some fans feel this cup is it will be, or should be, of some concern to the management at the beginning of a new season.

Not an exaggeration in the least. We've had seven permanent players leave this summer, several leave in the latter part of last season too, plus loanees gone back, and five in with two or three more to come. We've cut a good chunk off the wage bill in the process. If that's not rebuilding, what is?

Squad rebuild?

City:

Gerken; - Here last year

Skuse,- Here last year

Fontaine,- Here last year

Nyatanga,- Here last year

Foster;- Here last year

Adomah- Here last year

Morris,

Pearson,- Here last year

Woolford- Here last year

; Stead,- Here last year

Pitman.- Here last year

Subs:

Heaton,

Wilson,- Here last year

Edwards- Here last year

, Bryan,- Here last year

Elliott- Here last year

, Bolasie,- Here last year

Anderson.

Precisely my babber.

Well... I have never rated the bloke. Sorry to be blunt.. don't like to openly criticise a player especially at the beginning of a new season but always thought he was lightweight in every way apart from the 'odd ball' flash of class... that would be fine if we paid him just for those moments because he would be the cheapest on the payroll.

Woolly is obviously a confidence player, there were 2 or 3 times in the 2nd half when he gave away possession high up the field and you could visibly see his head drop but at leasst he did try to chase back and cover.

Until he was switched to LB, he wasn;t the worse by far......Albert was.

BCAGFC

Not an exaggeration in the least. We've had seven permanent players leave this summer, several leave in the latter part of last season too, plus loanees gone back, and five in with two or three more to come. We've cut a good chunk off the wage bill in the process. If that's not rebuilding, what is?

You can cut and slice it anyway you want and for sure you can make a case for the way you put it. I prefer to look at the 11 on the pitch. I am not moaning just saying like.!!

Woolly is obviously a confidence player, there were 2 or 3 times in the 2nd half when he gave away possession high up the field and you could visibly see his head drop but at leasst he did try to chase back and cover.

Until he was switched to LB, he wasn;t the worse by far......Albert was.

BCAGFC

Or maybe use the word 'fragile' in place of confidence to stress the problem? But I understand your point obviously. We cannot afford a 'confidence player' ... not sure who can frankly.

I was aiming it at the lower end of the otib comprehension scale. Clearly I missed.

It's very obviously a work in progress. The manager's said he wants two or three more and even named the positions. You can ask all the questions you like but in the face of those simple facts, the only sensible conclusion was that there weren't players available to us that the manager thought would have improved the squad. After all, why would he not sign them if there were?

Maybe he cannot attract them? I don't know, nor do you.

Maybe there are no funds?

Two clubs stated we bid for their centre backs, so he clearly identified them. If we are unwilling to fund it, then del is going to have to go to his 3rd or 4th choice. That although part and parcel of football management, can not be good, considering how key the position is that needs to be filled.

Be it del or the boards choice not to splash the cash, it doesn't bode well. Quality centre backs don't come cheap, we could end up panic buying.

You can cut and slice it anyway you want and for sure you can make a case for the way you put it. I prefer to look at the 11 on the pitch. I am not moaning just saying like.!!

And as I thought I'd made clear twice now, I am talking about the bigger picture that the XI tonight and how that kind of upheaval should affect realistic expectations.

Do you realise last season we had 33 different players make first team league appearances for us? Our whole squad right now has 26 players and at least five of those are unlikely to feature due to age or being Damion Stewart.

Or maybe use the word 'fragile' in place of confidence to stress the problem? But I understand your point obviously. We cannot afford a 'confidence player' ... not sure who can frankly.

I just pray that we get a CB in before saturday, Amougou was immense at florist last season.....if we start with the 2 rabbits, we will get stuffed.

We also have to go back to 451.

BCAGFC

Squad rebuild?

City:

Gerken; - Here last year

Skuse,- Here last year

Fontaine,- Here last year

Nyatanga,- Here last year

Foster;- Here last year

Adomah- Here last year

Morris,

Pearson,- Here last year

Woolford- Here last year

; Stead,- Here last year

Pitman.- Here last year

Subs:

Heaton,

Wilson,- Here last year

Edwards- Here last year

, Bryan,- Here last year

Elliott- Here last year

, Bolasie,- Here last year

Anderson.

Touché

New players were signed to improve the team.....why do we have more new players on bench than in team?

Millen said he was only signing players to improve the first team? Hmmm

I said to my mate before the game (yes I was there) that our central defence scares the ***** out of me, no determination, no passion, no bottle, no leaders,........if Florist had a scout there then when SOD reads the report in the morning, he will be laughing his nutts off!!!.

We DESPERATELY need a leader at the back NOW!!!, not at the end of September......my god, Blackstock & Cox are going to have a field day on saturday.

BCAGFC

SOD was there sat in the WIlliams

Maybe he cannot attract them? I don't know, nor do you.

Maybe there are no funds?

Two clubs stated we bid for their centre backs, so he clearly identified them. If we are unwilling to fund it, then del is going to have to go to his 3rd or 4th choice. That although part and parcel of football management, can not be good, considering how key the position is that needs to be filled.

Be it del or the boards choice not to splash the cash, it doesn't bode well. Quality centre backs don't come cheap, we could end up panic buying.

It seems unlikely we'll be panic buying given McInnes has not been held to ransom for Keogh or whoever the other centre back you're talking about is (Gerrard? Not sure that was ever confirmed).

A much more realistic alternative is that we're already working on other targets and we'll use the loan system. I'd far rather we don't compromise on quality or pay over the odds, both of which we've done under prior managers. In my book not doing those is a very good thing.

Perhaps if his predecessors had adopted this approach we wouldn't have lumps like Stewart eating up our wage bill?

This is why it will take time. I'm not expecting it all to be done and dusted this summer, I'm expecting us to be significantly better than last season and we will be.

SOD was there sat in the WIlliams

Is that the laughing i could hear at the end. :laughcont:

Had to laugh at Mad Dog, in more or less their last attack of the game, where they cut us wide open again, he turned around and said "It's just like watching Brazil".

BCAGFC

It seems unlikely we'll be panic buying given McInnes has not been held to ransom for Keogh or whoever the other centre back you're talking about is (Gerrard? Not sure that was ever confirmed).

A much more realistic alternative is that we're already working on other targets and we'll use the loan system. I'd far rather we don't compromise on quality or pay over the odds, both of which we've done under prior managers. In my book not doing those is a very good thing.

Perhaps if his predecessors had adopted this approach we wouldn't have lumps like Stewart eating up our wage bill?

This is why it will take time. I'm not expecting it all to be done and dusted this summer, I'm expecting us to be significantly better than last season and we will be.

I think if we want quality, it will be a loanee. Never really been a fan of that, although you cannot dismiss what caulker and amougu did for us.

Loans do not add to a team spirit usually, as David James clearly spelt out when writing his column.

It will be interesting. I just can't help but think, Keogh a million, Gerrard 700,000 if that is the going rate, we are going to end up paying over the odds, or large wages for a decent permanent signing.

And we still need to get a forward! They certainly don't come cheap. He has his work cut out.

Absolute shambles.

Had to say Skuse played okay as well as Foster.

May be the only one but I thought Nyatanga won most of the balls come his way, Fontaine looked the dodgier of the two.

Morris passed it about well.

Woolford looked decent first half then got moved and then all the abuse started coming his way when he isn't even a left back, not fair on the lad getting all the abuse. Lee Johnson all over again, pick on the scapegoat.

This may be criticised but I think Pearson had one of the worst games in a City shirt i've ever seen.

Put the ball straight out of play from a throw-in... (how?) then the pressure was on us, he lost the ball, fouled the man, gave away the free-kick, led to the penalty.

The one moment that made it for me was when he had the ball in a lot of space in the box (second half) and he just turned the other way onto his left foot, absolute useless player, all he can do is run fast in a straight line and give the ball away, and he still got outpaced by most of Gillingham's players.

I really do not see what this guy brings into the team, probably on between 5-10k a week and he does absolute **** all and when he does get the chance he just passes the ball backwards to make someone else do his work for him. Would rather Edwards play there or Bryan gone to left back with Skuse in midfield.

Have never seen him have a good all-round game but seems that him and McInnes are in love or something, how he deserved a 2 year deal is beyond me.

Bolasie looked like the only one driving forward and trying to make something on the ball which looked promising but the rest of the team didn't help him.

Stead and Pitman couldn't do nothing as a result of a weak midfield not linking play up with the midfield which was non-existent.

Albert had a bad game, teams know that if they take Albert out of the game, you beat Bristol City and its too easy.

If Forest representatives watched the game they'd be laughing their heads off, absolute disgrace to the fans who pay their well-earned money to come watch the team play, there was no effort and can only see Forest being an absolute drubbing.

Good luck City, you're going to need buckets of it.

Same old story in the league cup, the club does not take the competition seriously

should dish out 4339 refunds

the club would have got 40 odd grand tonyt in ticket sales they should deffo pay every penny back, cant tell u how bad we were and woolford wooooo how bad was he!!!!!

Waiting for all the Woolford haters to come out now..... For the record I was at the game and he was by no means the worst player and arguably had 2/3 of our best chances.

Hopefully this is the wake up call we need for the upcoming season and further shows Mcinnes the need for a right footed commanding centre back and a quality striker

you maddd, woolford was by farrrrrrrrrr our worst play he was soooo badddd its un real and i no everyone at the game would agree to you only hat to hear the boo's he was getting and i heard loads of people even talking about how bad he is on the way out !!!

go on then, why?

I'll tell you why...Read the majority of comments on here. The same old rubbish, with basically the same old squad. Also why does all our past and present managers keep trying to get players who are either no good for the Premier League, who want stupid wages or players from teams within the championship who couldn't get a regular game with that team.

Surely there are some very decent players in the lower divisions, who would jump at the chance of playing for us, and wouldn't cost much in wages. after all they can't be any worse than the present bunch we have, excluding about 3 or 4. Come on DM, go out and find these talents, then I might come back and renew my season ticket.

After all you don't come and see me when I'm bad, do you.....:laugh:

More post-match comments, as reported by PA....

City manager Derek McInnes was honest in his summing up.

"It was an unacceptable performance for large parts of the game," he said.

"We were not outplayed, but we were out-battled and that is sometimes the

worst thing you have to accept as a player.

"Full credit to Gillingham. Pre-season is well and truly over for us now and

it's down to business after a harsh lesson.

"We have lost the chance of much-needed cup revenue as well as the other

things a cup run can produce. I made it clear how important I viewed the fixture

and we fielded a strong team.

"That makes the performance all the harder to accept. Every player has put his

place in jeopardy for the weekend.

"I don't go in for knee-jerk reactions, but it goes without saying that we

have to improve greatly on that display."

And as I thought I'd made clear twice now, I am talking about the bigger picture that the XI tonight and how that kind of upheaval should affect realistic expectations.

Do you realise last season we had 33 different players make first team league appearances for us? Our whole squad right now has 26 players and at least five of those are unlikely to feature due to age or being Damion Stewart.

And I think I have made the point twice now as well. There is no more upheaval at City than many other close seasons, certainly no more than many others in this league and with most players on the pitch last night and in the squad the same as last season i think its an exaggeration to say we have made wholesale changes unless of course you are saying we do it every close season and are doing exactly what half of the Championship teams are or have been doing. In short.. not really a point of of discussion.

Morris - adequate, but tired legs come the mid to late part of the season.

Heaton - Cardiff reserve famous for playing a few FA cup games

Anderson - never heard of him tbh

Cunningham - any better than Spence or McGivern in what he adds to the back 4

Pearson - got his contract and played accordingly.

How many other Championship clubs would buy one of these bloke?

Well seeing as you asked.......

Anderson, Heaton, Pearson and Cunningham all had offers/interest from other Championship clubs according to either themselves or in the press (Which I accept may not be factual.)

Im not going to panic yet, several other Championship clubs went out of this cup to lower league opposition, we can't all be dooooomed!!!

Archived