marcofisher

Hardly the only difference.

Woolford starting on the left of a 442.

Foster left back.

Skuse right back.

Pearson in a middle two.

Pitman and Stead starting together.

Those have all been rare occurrences.

All know each other, all train with each other in various formations. No excuse for that Nibor. And if that is an excuse they use, then I will question the manager.

I would prefer to think they all had a off night, but I have seen that kind of performance far too often over the last year or so.

Shocking!!!!

Albert still doesn't make the right decisions, Fontaine & Nyatanga still run from those headlights, we still haven't got the players to play 442 & on tonights performance, we have signed LJ Mk II.

Gillingham did their homework, Mad Dog was telling his players at every opportunity to get crosses in or when they had a corner to attack the ball.....he knew we are weak centrally.

BCAGFC

All know each other, all train with each other in various formations. No excuse for that Nibor. And if that is an excuse they use, then I will question the manager.

I would prefer to think they all had a off night, but I have seen that kind of performance far too often over the last year or so.

I'm not making excuses, I pointed out there's been a big turnover this summer and that always takes time to settle and you replied by saying that "wouldn't wash" and implying this team was hardly changed. The fact is, we've never started a game lined up like that before and some things were very, very different.

I'm sure they did have a very off night.

I'm not making excuses, I pointed out there's been a big turnover this summer and that always takes time to settle and you replied by saying that "wouldn't wash" and implying this team was hardly changed. The fact is, we've never started a game lined up like that before and some things were very, very different.

I'm sure they did have a very off night.

I didn't say you made excuses for them. I said there was no excuse, they all knew each other.

Judging by your sign off, you were not at the game to make a judgement or excuse for them anyway.

Apart from Cisse going, and to an extent maynard, those guys on the pitch have been together more than long enough to know one anothers game... Morris aside.

When will people learn? It's basically the same group of players who have shown year on year that they are simply not good enough.

Don't be surprised, be frustrated that wholesale changes have been required for at least two years (maybe more) years and it just hasn't happened.

That's why we lose to lower league clubs in the Cups and fight relegation in the league.......the players are not good enough.

Was there anybody still there at the end?

Think everyone was still in shock, most of the 4,500 were still there.

Gerken - 4

Skuse - 6

Nyatanga - 3

Fontaine - 3

Foster - 4

Adomah - 2

Morris - 3

Pearson - 3

Woolford - 4 ****il switching to LB)

Stead - 4

Pitman - 4

Bolasie - 5

Elliott - * (not on long enough for rating)

I have been very harsh with my ratings but if a player doesn't put the effort in/show determination/passion then they don't deserve a average mark.

BCAGFC

Its not so much that we lost, its how we lost and how we played. No passion, no pride, nobody taking the lead, always second to the ball, I could go on. In essence, and in my opinion, the Gills were everything we weren't. They played at a good tempo, found their players easily, fought to get possession, had attempts on goal. We lacked at the front and were sliced open at the back. They deserved their win. Our lot deserved the boos.

A very poor game, even more disappointing because it was a fresh start.

DQ

I didn't say you made excuses for them. I said there was no excuse, they all knew each other.

Judging by your sign off, you were not at the game to make a judgement or excuse for them anyway.

Apart from Cisse going, and to an extent maynard, those guys on the pitch have been together more than long enough to know one anothers game... Morris aside.

I wasn't at the game. The point I was actually making when you replied was not about the game either. It was about the reality of the disruption of overhauling a squad and what expectations are realistic in that situation. The over reaction from the whiney babies on here is pretty sad in that context.

I'm not sure why you replied with an opinion on how familiar the XI that started tonight were with each other but as I've pointed out there were significant differences between that XI and how we've lined up before anyway, so it makes no odds.

I wasn't at the game. The point I was actually making when you replied was not about the game either. It was about the reality of the disruption of overhauling a squad and what expectations are realistic in that situation. The over reaction from the whiney babies on here is pretty sad in that context.

I'm not sure why you replied with an opinion on how familiar the XI that started tonight were with each other but as I've pointed out there were significant differences between that XI and how we've lined up before anyway, so it makes no odds.

And as you have pointed out elsewhere on another post tonight, we are equally shite at 451 and 433 last season. With the same players.

So I am not really sure what you are getting at either!

Until we get some leaders in that team, we will struggle, especially at the back.

I lost count of the number of times we were knocked off the ball by a highly motivated Gills team, they looked much fitter as well.

And for the ones who are defending our lightweights, dont forget that Gillingham have signed nearly a whole new squad as well this season.

BCAGFC

Until we get some leaders in that team, we will struggle, especially at the back.

I lost count of the number of times we were knocked off the ball by a highly motivated Gills team, they looked much fitter as well.

And for the ones who are defending our lightweights, dont forget that Gillingham have signed nearly a whole new squad as well this season.

BCAGFC

Hey don't worry, we had a good preseason.

Even the players said it was one of the hardest they have had in terms of fitness in the last few years

Sadly expected, hopefully this will lessen some of the unrealistic expectations.

According to our Derek, He was putting out strongest side, Which simply wasn't good enough to beat League 2 Gillingham.

Be interested to hear views of people actually at game

By unrealistic you mean the thought by many that we should be reasonably comfortable in mid table? I have not heard many, if any, shout from the rooftops that we will be challenging this year and from this performance, which was earmarked as important by Del, we will be doing well with that.

New season, same old rubbish. Am I the only one who thinks Del-Boy isn't the right man for us?

Personally, I've never been convinced by Del but sincerely hope he gets it right.

I think he's got a massive job on his hands an is a little isolated (when was the last time we heard from owner, chairman, chief exec on football/transfer matters?)

Something that bothers me is the ongoing use of 442 especially with a midfield as lightweight as Adomah, Pearson, Morris and Woolford. Having watched most of last season, how did Del ever think that would work? Throughout last year we needed a minimum one of Skuse, Elliott or Cisse in the middle - usually 2 of them. It does make me wonder what Del was watching/has learnt from last season. Skuse could have played in the middle with one of Edwards or Bryan at full back, that would have been stronger.

And as you have pointed out elsewhere on another post tonight, we are equally shite at 451 and 433 last season. With the same players.

So I am not really sure what you are getting at either!

Well it's pretty simple. People who are overreacting based on one game after a summer of squad rebuilding are idiots.

Hey don't worry, we had a good preseason.

Even the players said it was one of the hardest they have had in terms of fitness in the last few years

I said to my mate before the game (yes I was there) that our central defence scares the ***** out of me, no determination, no passion, no bottle, no leaders,........if Florist had a scout there then when SOD reads the report in the morning, he will be laughing his nutts off!!!.

We DESPERATELY need a leader at the back NOW!!!, not at the end of September......my god, Blackstock & Cox are going to have a field day on saturday.

BCAGFC

Well it's pretty simple. People who are overreacting based on one game after a summer of squad rebuilding are idiots.

Why didn't you say that then, rather than try and wrap it up in some fancy argument then?

On a side note, we may have rebuilt the squad once we have added a centre back, and centre forward. If we don't, we will not have come close to it.

That is why I haven't layed into management. If those signings do not materialise, after management saying all pre season that these were the important roles to fill, then I believe questions will have to be asked. I am hoping they pull something out the bag before deadline day.

And where did Wooly's rating go after that? north or south?

SOUTH!!!, their right winger tore him a new one.....but he got no help from Pearson.

I have every faith in Dels managerial ability, but he can't work with crap....let's face it, the players we signed on loan last season kept us up.....at the moment we haven;t replaced them.

BCAGFC

Bit of an exaggeration there Nibor; not quite a 'squad rebuilding' more a 'few additions'.

I suspect Del will be as annoyed as those who went tonight in what appears to be a lack of effort. It is not the loss, albeit that is pretty important, but more of not giving it a right go. However inconsequential some fans feel this cup is it will be, or should be, of some concern to the management at the beginning of a new season.

Why didn't you say that then, rather than try and wrap it up in some fancy argument then?

I was aiming it at the lower end of the otib comprehension scale. Clearly I missed.

On a side note, we may have rebuilt the squad once we have added a centre back, and centre forward. If we don't, we will not have come close to it.

That is why I haven't layed into management. If those signings do not materialise, after management saying all pre season that these were the important roles to fill, then I believe questions will have to be asked. I am hoping they pull something out the bag before deadline day.

It's very obviously a work in progress. The manager's said he wants two or three more and even named the positions. You can ask all the questions you like but in the face of those simple facts, the only sensible conclusion was that there weren't players available to us that the manager thought would have improved the squad. After all, why would he not sign them if there were?

SOUTH!!!, their right winger tore him a new one.....but he got no help from Pearson.

BCAGFC

Well... I have never rated the bloke. Sorry to be blunt.. don't like to openly criticise a player especially at the beginning of a new season but always thought he was lightweight in every way apart from the 'odd ball' flash of class... that would be fine if we paid him just for those moments because he would be the cheapest on the payroll.

I said to my mate before the game (yes I was there) that our central defence scares the ***** out of me, no determination, no passion, no bottle, no leaders,........if Florist had a scout there then when SOD reads it in the morning, he will be laughing his nutts off!!!.

We DESPERATELY need a leader at the back NOW!!!, not at the end of September......my god, Blackstock & Cox are going to have a field day on saturday.

BCAGFC

I would have liked for some of the people saying it will be okay, to have witnessed what we both witnesses tonight.

I know I can be critical, overly sometimes. But that was just not good enough, this is what pre season has been leading up to, and apart from a vocal Morris in the centre, nothing has changed, just a step back from the stoic defending from our run in.

Archived