IGNORED

Gillingham Match Thread

marcofisher

Not sure there's any real need for crying and wrist slitting.

It's another woeful league cup game against lower league opposition in front of a tiny crowd.

We've had lots of ins and outs over the summer and will have a few more, it was never going to be plain sailing from day one.

The manager isn't going to just sign anybody who's available and the board isn't going to throw cash around wildly with FFP coming and rightly so on both counts.

The signings we have made have by and large been good. Have faith and have patience - we will get the right players in at the right price.

We won't set the world alight but we will be better than last time around, no doubt at all.

Waiting for all the Woolford haters to come out now..... For the record I was at the game and he was by no means the worst player and arguably had 2/3 of our best chances.

Hopefully this is the wake up call we need for the upcoming season and further shows Mcinnes the need for a right footed commanding centre back and a quality striker

It's another woeful league cup game against lower league opposition in front of a tiny crowd.

We've had lots of ins and outs over the summer and will have a few more, it was never going to be plain sailing from day one.

The manager isn't going to just sign anybody who's available and the board isn't going to throw cash around wildly with FFP coming and rightly so on both counts.

The signings we have made have by and large been good. Have faith and have patience - we will get the right players in at the right price.

We won't set the world alight but we will be better than last time around, no doubt at all.

I think we also need someone to play alongside this mystery right footed centre half because Fontaine is the most over rated defender I have come across. In our position we cannot afford to have a defender, or 2 (Foster) who cant defend!

I think we also need someone to play alongside this mystery right footed centre half because Fontaine is the most over rated defender I have come across. In our position we cannot afford to have a defender, or 2 (Foster) who cant defend!

I disagree about Fontaine completely, I've watched him hundreds of times and he's a good defender at this level. Each to their own.

I disagree about Fontaine completely, I've watched him hundreds of times and he's a good defender at this level. Each to their own.

I'm happy with that bud, I'll agree to disagree, lets have a convo after 10 games or so, believe it or not I hope I'm wrong but wont be holding my breath!

Waiting for all the Woolford haters to come out now..... For the record I was at the game and he was by no means the worst player and arguably had 2/3 of our best chances.

Hopefully this is the wake up call we need for the upcoming season and further shows Mcinnes the need for a right footed commanding centre back and a quality striker

You were at the game?

Well don't come on this thread with your balance and perspective...

Great post, it's not that really that surprising and with such poor attendance there was no 'home advantage' Gills were always going to play there hearts out and we were always going to be nervous coming in to this. I for one am quite happy with the result, it will serve as a wake up call and will hopefully mean we chase those illusive signings with more conviction.

All the ins and outs just doesn't wash.

Morris was the only difference. We didn't even use one of the new signings from the bench. That is worrying, this lot know each other inside out, yet still subject us to abject crap.

I certainly agree with no need for wrist slitting. But again it is not just that we lost but how badly we appear to have played..Haven't we been hearing how important momentum is as we have rolled over the sub standard teams we have played in pre season. So how does this affect momentum.And if it has taken from June until now and we still have no centre half , cheer me up and tell me what magic act Del will pull to get one in by Saturday.The other signing we need is the guy that came in at the end of ;last season as first team coach and turned the performances around.

I think Fontaine maybe the problem with our defence. Seems to be the only constant factor last few years,

Just think he is prone to at least one mistake a game, all the talk that he needs a big cb next to him, then what use is he then without one and how can he be a cb if he can't defend without help.

New season, same old rubbish. Am I the only one who thinks Del-Boy isn't the right man for us?

I believe Del is a good manager - and hopefully will achieve with City.

But after tonights performance what deflates me is that over many seasons we've brought in numerous players who promise great things (outstanding seasons at their previous club), only for them to be a shadow of their former selves when playing at the gate.

Why is this? It happens a lot.

Another worrying factor is our lack of young local talent coming up through the ranks into the first eleven. Other championship teams bring on their youngsters for fun.

This is made even more frustrating when we have such a strong local football scene with our various leagues - what's happening with all the promising young players in such a vibrant city?

And finally - how did we manage to miss Buckland??!!

All the ins and outs just doesn't wash.

Morris was the only difference. We didn't even use one of the new signings from the bench. That is worrying, this lot know each other inside out, yet still subject us to abject crap.

Hardly the only difference.

Woolford starting on the left of a 442.

Foster left back.

Skuse right back.

Pearson in a middle two.

Pitman and Stead starting together.

Those have all been rare occurrences.

I certainly agree with no need for wrist slitting. But again it is not just that we lost but how badly we appear to have played..Haven't we been hearing how important momentum is as we have rolled over the sub standard teams we have played in pre season. So how does this affect momentum.And if it has taken from June until now and we still have no centre half , cheer me up and tell me what magic act Del will pull to get one in by Saturday.The other signing we need is the guy that came in at the end of ;last season as first team coach and turned the performances around.

I've never bought into the momentum bollocks myself. The summer break wipes that out and you have to build it up from scratch. People talk about it a lot but I think what they call momentum is just a well run club continuing to be well run, not some good feeling the players manage to hold onto through pissing it up in Magaluf for six weeks.

I don't think any view based on one game or a handful of games is any use. You have to look at the longer term. Derek McInnes is carefully reshaping the squad and the football side of the club and I like the way he's going about it. I'll back him for a long, long time yet.

Archived