IGNORED

Pitman

old_eastender

He must realise he doesn’t figure too highly in Del’s plans. I guess he’s already got his agent working away trying to fix something up with another club. He’s definitely a good division 1 player and might become a good championship player under different circumstances.

Sadly, I half agree with this "City have really cocked up with Pitman though, could have been their next big thing and will definitely cut it in the Champ elsewhere". He really could have been/still can be (not writing him off just yet) the next big thing for us. I remember when we signed him I was so excited but nothing has really ever materialised.

When he puts in the effort and works hard, he's fantastic, when he doesn't, he looked like a a human version of Scrumpy roaming the pitch rather aimlessly.

As BCFC Jordan said, the game was crying out for him on Saturday.

Sadly, I half agree with this "City have really cocked up with Pitman though, could have been their next big thing and will definitely cut it in the Champ elsewhere". He really could have been/still can be (not writing him off just yet) the next big thing for us. I remember when we signed him I was so excited but nothing has really ever materialised.

When he puts in the effort and works hard, he's fantastic, when he doesn't, he looked like a a human version of Scrumpy roaming the pitch rather aimlessly.

As BCFC Jordan said, the game was crying out for him on Saturday.

I am baffled as to how Pitman hasn't worked out. I think if he'd gone in to a team with a high quality defence and midfield, reducing the amount of work he had to do off the ball, he could have been superb for us (a bit like Lambert at Southampton). I think it's too late for him now in all likelihood, but it's a real shame. I was genuinely excited when he signed.

They wouldn't recognise a good striker if he jumped up and smacked them in their two heads !!

To be fair, I think they would.

Hayles, Cureton, Stewart, Lambert, Ellington, and whatshisface who played on loan for us.

McInness, like most managers does make some strange decisions that only they themselves seem to understand and his refusal on Saturday to bring on the very player who can nick a goal out of nothing sat on the bench until the 90th min.

Strange unless the speculation that Pitman is slipping down the pecking order and could be well on his way out of the door is on.

Pitman only seems to play well for 30 mins as a sub,give him a run of games and he loses interest unless the ball is in the box,i like him, but he wont score bag loads of championship goals because he will be the same everywhere.I would rather have someone who scores 12-15 goals and even when he isnt scoring frightens defenders with pace or doesnt give the ball away all the time

Pitman is completely overrated by some on here, I'm with Del on this one.

Pitman is a league 1 striker at best, i know it, Del knows it, and all the other championship managers who are'nt clambering over backwards for his signature know it too.

Had we got relegated last year, he would of been a decent player for us. As it stands we can, and have (Davies) done a lot better.

He's decent back up though....if he's happy with that?

After watching him Tuesday night he was lucky to be in the Team, Infact im sure if Taylor was fit he would not been in the team!!

So for you lot going on about the 90th min, Really doubt he would of done much!!

He was poor last Tuesday, but he still had a goal disallowed and got the assist for the goal. Not exactly brilliant I accept, but when you're one nil down and have done nothing to even look like scoring a goal all afternoon it is obvious that he should be coming on before the 90th minute. The friendly against Bournemouth is a good example, he had a poor afternoon yet still ends up scoring one and creating the other. You can't ignore that when you have such a low scoring team as ours.

Good, bad or indifferent when you're 1-0 down and haven't tested the keeper all afternoon, how can it be the correct thing to do to have him sat on the bench until injury time?

I'm a Pitman fan, but to be honest I've got to he point that I want us to sell him. He obviously isn't rated by the manager and when/if we sign Campbell he will get even less of a look in then he has in the past season. As one of the highest paid players this is fair from ideal and I'm sure if we made it aware to other clubs that he was available we would find a manager that was interested in taking him off our hands before too long.

Pitman has scored 19 goals for us in 69 Championship appearances, when you consider that most of those will have been as a sub it's a very good ratio. He was our top scorer with 13 in his first season, so he's a proven goalscorer at this level. I think he'll be on his way to Burnley if DJC signs.

Be careful what you wish for as if he goes to another club who'll allow him the luxury of never moving more than 10 yards from the opposition's penalty spot & provide him half-decent service he'll bag 25-30 goals a season, no problem. He's the best finisher at the club by a country mile but is a man out of time given the turgid service provided by our midfield. For pity's sake: our best finisher ends up taking all the corners & wide free kicks because we've no one else who can cross a ball. Yet another mystery why Del can't see he's no pace merchant yet insists on often playing him wide? Forget not that in many of his cameo performances last year he ended up half the time providing additional cover for our woeful full-backs. He reminds me somewhat of Derick Hales, another apparently unkempt & 'lazy' player who'd have posted ridiculous Opta stats on 'ground covered' or 'passes completed' but who's goal scoring feats are long remembered & still feature in many a record book.

Be careful what you wish for as if he goes to another club who'll allow him the luxury of never moving more than 10 yards from the opposition's penalty spot & provide him half-decent service he'll bag 25-30 goals a season, no problem. He's the best finisher at the club by a country mile but is a man out of time given the turgid service provided by our midfield. For pity's sake: our best finisher ends up taking all the corners & wide free kicks because we've no one else who can cross a ball. Yet another mystery why Del can't see he's no pace merchant yet insists on often playing him wide? Forget not that in many of his cameo performances last year he ended up half the time providing additional cover for our woeful full-backs. He reminds me somewhat of Derick Hales, another apparently unkempt & 'lazy' player who'd have posted ridiculous Opta stats on 'ground covered' or 'passes completed' but who's goal scoring feats are long remembered & still feature in many a record book.

I don't think it's under instruction the Brett takes those set pieces... He throws a hissy fit if he isn't allowed the ball...

But football has moved on from 1978 when Hales played.

Yes, Pitman is our best finisher, (which is damning him with faint praise) but he is slow and possesses poor work rate and crap body language.

I don't recall him ever being asked to play wide but do understand why he takes the corners (as Henry did at Arsenal) because he is an excellent deliverer of a dead ball.

I felt that if we were unable to get a new front player in then we'd be destined for the following cycle in 2012/13;

Pitman starts, is disappointing, gets left out, comes off the bench and scores a wonder goal, gets a recall, is disappointing, has an uneventful sub appearance, then scores a wonder goal as a sub, gets a recall, is disappointing, repeat over 46 games.....

However if DJ Campbell arrives as well I'm sure he'll be off to another Championship side or a League one team with plenty of cash.

Isn't there some Russian investing heavily in Bournemouth these days?

Blime, he's only 24! That's a surprise to me, I thought he was 27/28. He still has years ahead of him! Sad to see so many of us writing off a 24-year-old, clearly, naturally talented goalscorer!

Joined us when he was 22. Terrible move for him as the club have treated him badly and has been restricted to being on the bench more often than not.

But football has moved on from 1978 ......

Last time I looked it was still about putting the ball in the back of the net which is Pitman's forte.

Body language never seemed to hamper Friday, Bowles, McKenzie, Dziekanowski et al who likewise were incorrectly painted with the 'lazy' brush.

Having just signed the footballing equivalent of the Six Million Dollar Man (is there any part of Davies that hasn't previously broken down?) everyone seems to be getting very excited by the prospect of another end of career journeyman who's also been injury prone of late.

Perhaps the question we should be posing is why is it we are unable to attract talent , even on a temporary basis, to the highly pleasant city that is Bristol? Whether it's because we're viewed as a footballing backwater or display an aura of mediocrity I don't know. Fact is nobody decent seems to want to come to us.

Archived