IGNORED

Why Did You Start Supporting City?

Randy Marsh

1987, I was 7. My uncle took me and I remember watching from the terraces. Can't remember who played tbh but I loved it. My dad wasn't really into football at the time so I didn't go often. I happened to start going again in 1992, saw Dziekanowski and remembered how amazing it can feel to be at the gate, win lose or draw. Then during the late 90s as I was growing up, the friends I hung around with didn't think football was 'cool' (we were all musicians in bands) so I stopped going :/ Moved to Australia and supported Adelaide United while I was there, still do, because they played in red and are the only football team with an actual football only stadium. It reminded me of that day back in '87 the first time I went. Terraces are fun :P

Then this season I resolved to get to every game I can, work hours allowing. I bought a shirt and couldn't decide on a name/number Was going to go for Agostino for obvious reasons but my cousin beat me to it. I rang the shop and asked for Dziekanowski/10 and the young lad there had never heard of him! Best part was at Gerry Gows testimonial when I got Jackie to sign it for me! :laugh:, so I had to buy a new shirt so I could frame that one :P Loving it so far this season Shafting the gas, then 8 goals in a week shafting the blueredbirds was hilarious (one nil to the proper reds made me laugh) :) Never once did my thought stray to the other lot. Even though I've nearly travelled as much as them! :P

I grew up as a Blackburn supporter and season ticket holder as my family spent most weekends up there but from 1997 ( v crew in the cup) I started to watch the odd city match when Blackburn wasn't playing, but when my boys started to play and watch football in 2008 I decided rather than them go up to Blackburn to watch football that they should support there local team so got us season tickets for city and never looked back ! The next home game will be the first time I've watched Blackburn since !

Moved to the area in 1995 and shortly after City had a special offer for free tickets to a game. I had never been to a football game before (at the age of 47!) and wasn't really interested in the game, but my two sons were about 11 and 12 years old and were interested. So I took them to the free game and they enjoyed it. Went to about three more games that season, then the next season they offered £23 season tickets fore kids. So I bought one for each of mine (in "new" GWR stand") but said I would go with them for the first few games to make sure they were happy and then would drop them off outside Ashton Gate and pick them up after the game..................You've guessed already I expect - I went to every game that season. Next season you needed to have an adult season to get the cheap kids tickets, so I bought a season. Kids now grown up & moved away, but I'm still hooked! It's the atmosphere of the game that I like, even when it's a bit flat!

Grew up in Knowle, started going to the gate with mates when I was six or seven, had a HireRite shirt and played at Ashton Park every summer thanks to the old Splash scheme.

We used to hang around outside the Gate every lunchtime getting autographs from Joe Jordan's (first) team.

I learned to despise the dirty cheating blue scum at an early age, Holloway, Alexander & Yates in particular.

I can remember pretending to be Alan Walsh or Bob Taylor or Jacki in pretty much every game of football as a kid. No other team has even crossed my mind, why would it?

• Admin

So Randy Marsh appears to have foolishly left his account logged on so a "friend"/family member has taken advantage.

I grew up in a non-football supporting family in Kent (fortunately miles from Gillingham!). Moved to Bristol about 17/18 years ago and was delighted to be able to see a football stadium from my bedroom window. 2 days later City had an Anglo-Italian game I think against Oxford & I was there & have been ever since. :)

Was my nearest local team as I was originally from Redhill. Family moved to Hay on wye in the early 70,s and went to watch them at Hereford in 82 -83 season. realised what was going on at the time and me and my grandad became regulars. He died in 1987 and its a habit I attempt to continue with my kids and thankfully my cousin lives five mins from the ground and keeps us all sorted with the club.

I started supporting cos randy said city were great.

Wish I hadn't bothered, spent a fortune on crap and average with the occasional good thrown in.

In reality, cos my dad took me.

From the age of 4 to 6 i supported spurs, then 6 to about 9 Liverpool (but kept an eye on city) then from 10 city, my dad took me to my first game then, was always wary before that because of the trouble down the gate. So apart from a few years of transgressions, always city once I had seen my first live game.

Edit I lived in thornbury, everyone of my age at the time were Liverpool or man u fans!

Grew up in Knowle, started going to the gate with mates when I was six or seven, had a HireRite shirt and played at Ashton Park every summer thanks to the old Splash scheme.

Wow I remember the summer scheme very well. The first year it was called APSIFF ( Ashton Park Soccer Is Fun Festival) and was sponsored by Coca Cola. It must have lasted for 4 or 5 summers and I attended every year but for the final year I was a junior coach/helper as I completed the badges.

I do remember Tommy Doherty and his brother doing at least one summer while I was a normal attendee.

Started via my dad and his brother in about mid 70's. First game was against Chelsea(I think during the promotion season).

First game I can remember was the Anglo Scottish one vs St Mirren.

First night game was Wolves 0-1 Steve Daley in 1979.

First away game I can remember was Newport County when Steve Neville scored his first goal for us(I think!!!) - damned this dementia!!

Fathers, friends etc? I initially was a Rovers fan when Holloway was there, used to go up all the time but then when it all went tits up I fell out of love with the club. I then started to follow Man United but unfortunately the distance meant I had to stick to Skysports, which was not enjoyable! After realising I was missing out on live football I heard City were a decent side (this was about 2003) and started going down every week - was ace - but eventually stopped going again.

Got my first season ticket when we went up to the Championship and got one for the next season hoping we'd be in the prem, was gutted when we lost to Hull but thankfully came up with a plan to get the club to refund the money ;):) I still went down a few times after that, but once GJ had gone and the Coppell debacle I said enough was enough and last season started following Swindon. That was great. But alas I'm not too sure how they'll do this season so have decided to come back to my home :) Last two results swayed me big time!

I expect a few will be the same kind of thing but how did you guys get into City?

UP THE REDS!

Glory hunter, this annoyed me...

I have always supported one team through bad and good times and that is Bristol City. You cannot keep changing clubs when everything goes wrong.

Wow I remember the summer scheme very well. The first year it was called APSIFF ( Ashton Park Soccer Is Fun Festival) and was sponsored by Coca Cola. It must have lasted for 4 or 5 summers and I attended every year but for the final year I was a junior coach/helper as I completed the badges.

I do remember Tommy Doherty and his brother doing at least one summer while I was a normal attendee.

I played in the same side as Tommy one year, he used to wind Ernie Curtis up a treat. Remember Andy Jordan having a little cry when we beat his side.

APSIFF was great, so was SPLASH. Kept us busy the entire 6 weeks and parents could bugger off to work.

Apart from that, my dad originally started supporting City in the first Joe Jordan era with Bob Taylor up front etc..

Ever since he fell inlove with City, he passed it on to me and remember my first game when I was around 6, we beat Reading 4-0 with Rodriguez I think having broken his ankle or leg?! Possibly? Ever since then I loved going down when I was younger, especially the 02/03 season when I got my first season ticket, hell of a season that was, Murray scoring 25+ goals, beating Mansfield away 5-4, a close promotion race and I think we may have reached 80 goals that season, but it all ended in tears at the end of it!

I played in the same side as Tommy one year, he used to wind Ernie Curtis up a treat. Remember Andy Jordan having a little cry when we beat his side.

APSIFF was great, so was SPLASH. Kept us busy the entire 6 weeks and parents could bugger off to work.

Ernie was really funny, all he used to go on about was how Marcus Stewart used to play for his Hartcliffe Boys Club team.

Funny you should mention Andy Jordan because one year Gary Shelton sent his two sons to do the SPLASH course as well.

I really wish there was something like it now for youngsters because it was a cheap yet really fun way to spent the summer. Playing football from 10am until 4pm every day. It also didn't matter how good you were either.

when I was at primary school the gas ran free training sessions in the summer at the time I only knew of premier league teams to be honest. After the training they gave us all a free ticket, so I'm sad to say my first live footy game was at the mem! But when getting to there stadium and watching them play I was very disappointed and to this very day can barely remember the game except from standing on a concrete step watching it pour down.

My brother grew up and supported Man utd so I followed in his foot steps, though I did get a free ticket to the gate later at primary school in the Ateyo from that day I knew this was the much better team in Bristol. I remember watching Tommy Doc fly in with tackles watching in awe.

Shortly after this visit my brother became friends with City fans and was then converted. Then became a fully fledged city Fan and got a season ticket with his school mates . He then took me to a few games when I was about 12/13 the rest is history!

1970 in Germany, were there with my parents on holyday. Went to a game in Kiel, nord of Germany. Holstein Kiel vc Bristol City, 0-2 Garland scored twice. At that time I was 13 years old and in the morning after I was trying to read the german newspaper. Since then Im a City fan. 2007 i saw my first game with City in England, Wolwes home 0-0. After that I go to watch City at least twice a year. Next game for me is Charlton at home in nov. Never regret supporting City, look at the table, he he, its a long way to go. But I sinserly hope that I and we can see our Club in the first div before I die. Always believe.

In 1997 I was in a boarding school in bath, and at the end of the year we had awards for us school kids and we had a special guest JOE JORDAN who was the city manager at the time, I remember my mum saying to me do you know who that is? He is the manager of Bristol City. I was well in to rugby at that time I used to go to Gloucester rfc every week with my dad.

So I thought I would go to a match when I get to go home, I remember my mum taking me to my first match I was sat in the dolman stand with moaners sat behind me (nothing changes) i know we won 2-1 but can't remember who we played. After that game I became a city fan following as much as i can bought a shirt with my pocket money ( which I still have).

Now 14years on I am a season ticket holder (for 4 years) and own some shares in Bristol City plc ( think i own a blade of grass) wouldn't change anything I love my club and will till I die.

In 1997 I was in a boarding school in bath, and at the end of the year we had awards for us school kids and we had a special guest JOE JORDAN who was the city manager at the time, I remember my mum saying to me do you know who that is? He is the manager of Bristol City. I was well in to rugby at that time I used to go to Gloucester rfc every week with my dad.

So I thought I would go to a match when I get to go home, I remember my mum taking me to my first match I was sat in the dolman stand with moaners sat behind me (nothing changes) i know we won 2-1 but can't remember who we played. After that game I became a city fan following as much as i can bought a shirt with my pocket money ( which I still have).

Now 14years on I am a season ticket holder (for 4 years) and own some shares in Bristol City plc ( think i own a blade of grass) wouldn't change anything I love my club and will till I die.

Now that I like

My Dad took me down the gate so young that I can't remember my first match. I can honestly not remember not being a city fan.

Dad, would also take me to Eastville sometimes, but for some reason I never became a fan.

I can't understand people who change teams, or even people who have a 'second' team..How does that work ?

My Dad took me down the gate so young that I can't remember my first match. I can honestly not remember not being a city fan.

Dad, would also take me to Eastville sometimes, but for some reason I never became a fan.

I can't understand people who change teams, or even people who have a 'second' team..How does that work ?

Second teams are often local non-league teams.

My first game was against the Gas in about 75/76 at Ashton Gate . Stood in the open end with my old man. I used to suffer from ear ache when I was young and my mum made me wear a wolly hat , only trouble was that it was a blue and white bobble hat! All my family are City , Grandads (both dead) both City . All my uncles and cousins are all City fans.

Growing up in Bemmy Down in the 70s everyone was a City fan.

There was never a slightest chance I would could support another team . It's a birth right , it's where I am from its part of me . If I didn't support City I wouldn't be the same person .

On the 19th of November 1977 my team, Liverpool FC, who were outstanding at the time, only made a draw, at home, to Bristol City who were just above the relegation line. Sitting with the morning paper on the 20th I changed team. Next weekend we beat Boro 4-1 with Royle scoring all four. Never looked back.

bristolcitysweden and his friends took me to my first City game april 3rd 2010 (Nottingham home, 1-1, Fontaine scored). That was my first game on UK soil (apart from a crappy Celtic game). After that I have been to four more city games and I'm looking forward to the next one (Charlton in november). Too bad it's so long way to the home games. :sad26:

Another Welsh person from Chepstow here. My grandfather was Bristol born and living back in Bristol. I said to him when I was about 7 that I like Man U he said no you don't and told my uncle I'm old enough to go to see City. Never looked back since, in 70's city used to arrange a bus to come down through the forest then Chepstow over to the gate for about 50p.

Have a few arguments with people saying I'm Welsh so I should support Cardiff??

Me my wife, and daughter are season ticket holders, some reason my two boys never taken to football. Daughter says they are weird ;)

bristolcitysweden and his friends took me to my first City game april 3rd 2010 (Nottingham home, 1-1, Fontaine scored). That was my first game on UK soil (apart from a crappy Celtic game). After that I have been to four more city games and I'm looking forward to the next one (Charlton in november). Too bad it's so long way to the home games. :sad26:

Good first match to go to ! my son was mascot for the match ;)

Archived