IGNORED

Why Did You Start Supporting City?

Randy Marsh

Lived in Dorset until I was 8, so up till then I watched Premier League football as and when I could, a preference for Arsenal because of the football they played, moved to Somerset in 2000, in 2002/3 started going to watch Bristol City games with my dad and as I went to watch more I got inceasingly interested about the club and because of watching them so eventually I did end up switching alligence to City. Watched City since and had a season ticket 3 out of the last 4 years, only missed the 1 because I wasn't sure how much i'd be able to watch when I went to Uni but ended up going a lot anyway.

Shut up you gas head.

I'm 15, been a city fan since forever. Nearly gone 100 home games without missing one now, also done over 50 away games. Plan on doing 15 this year minimum. Would NEVER change the team I support. You're not a fan in my eyes Randy.

One of the funniest topics for a while. So many self-righteous idiots fell for it as well.

Well done Randy.

Second teams are often local non-league teams.

That I can understand, I go to watch Chipping Sods, because my dad was manager and I played for them as a nipper.

What I can't get is supporting City and spurs for example.

From Somerset and taken to Ashton Gate in 1992/93 when I was 8. Moved around the country and now in London but it's still Bristol City I love more than anyone. I still get to the gate as much as possible and away games in London.

As for people supporting a Premier League team, I think it's quite natural as a nipper to want to support a club with top players but it should be grown out of when your Dad only takes you to see City. I now choose a Prem team start of each season now just for a bit of added interest or if I happen to like a certain number of their players but it's only ever for fun and I don't care if they win of lose.

I've never lived in Bristol in my life.

Spent my first 10 yrs in mid Wales, then in 1966 (I was 10) Dad got a job in Wakefield. He was a keen football fan, so started watching Leeds at Elland Road, and I used to go and see the early Revie side, so became a Leeds fan.

Then in 1968 he got a job in N Somerset and City were the closest team, so we started to visit Ashton Gate. Earliest games were watching Galley, Garland etc and standing on shallow terraces where the Dolman is now. Through the early 70's I was still keen on Leeds,as they were at their peak and City were in their customary middle of the second division position. But of course watching regularly meant I got more attached to City, and the love of Leeds gradually faded. I was a season ticket holder when we got promoted to the First Division and was at Highbury for the first game the next season.

People who can't understand how allegiances change are presumably those who have lived most of their lives in one place. It happens quite naturally if you move and "do the proper thing" ie go & watch a local team! If more armchair followers who move into the area started to visit a real ground, more of them would become supporters of local sides.

I was taken to AG during our late seventies stint in the top flight, but to be honest, I was a bit young to remember any of it...

Then, sometime in 1987, my old man told me that Terry Cooper had signed a certain Joe Jordan, and explained who Mr. Jordan was and what he had achieved in the game...

...I decided then that I had to see this man in action, so took myself down to City v Brighton. Went in the Dolman and watched us win 5-2 and Jordan score...

...hooked from then, and of course had the privilege of seeing Big Joe progress to manager, giving us the best few years between 87 and 90 that I have ever had as a City fan...

Born and bred in Yate so really everyone I knew that weren't family were sags but my Grandpa and Uncle took me to see Port Vale when I was three or four. Three I think. We drew 0-0 and I was a bit confused why nobody had scored. Supported them since then. Got my ST when I was about 10 then kept it until I went to Uni a year ago.

Great wind up - but hey ho....

Born a red and went with dad and grandad when i was about 6 in 1959?? I remember being in the enclosure in front of the 'grand Stand' where my uncle Phil (a bristol councilor) sat in the posh seats. Coming from Shirehampton it was a rite of passage to be a red.

I remember something about us selling our flood lights??? and memories of BIG John Atyeo (loyalty personified). I lived in Nibley Road then and the club owned some houses at the top of the road and I remember names like Mike Thresher and Jantzen Derrick living there. I remember an ex German prisoner of war playing for us (Eric?) Eisenstranger, it seemed very romantic back then.

First real memories were the 60's teams of Bush, Connor, Briggs, Parr, Gibson etc. and every team since.later heroes were Galley, Garland, Sir Geoff, Gow, Dickie Rooks :laugh:, The promotion winning side that took us to the promised land, Norman, Joe and terry. Keith Curle my old neighbour in Clevedon. Great wingers like Junior Bent, Clive Whitehead, Greg Goodrich, Scotty Murray.

Interesting comments about second teams - I only have ONE team, but took an interest in Chelsea when one of my favourite players joined them in the late 60's early 70's, can't remember exactly - Chris Garland. Many friends did the same and even visited the shed to see him there a couple of times.

As for Eastville, only visited a few times in the 70's with a few Rovers boot boys friends just to add some weight to a lightweight Tote End. Surreal experience as they knew I was City - but I guess it was a tribal thing in them days.

East Ender most of my young life - standing in front of the barriers, so that when we scored and everyone came tumbling down to the front of the terraces, you didn't get crushed. Too many highlights, promotions, relegations to mention. (Coventry and mansfield comeback 4-5 stand out)

Dolman for my later life (B Block)

Great to take my son and his friends when he was about 8 (especially the away days in the 4x4 - Pulling up the parking stakes at Wigans new ground to get out quicker - the kids 'mooning' up the m4 on our way to many wembley / millenium visits).

big part of my life and more fun to come -

my first game was in 88 sat in the old away end facing the mighty eastend, friends dad was a blackpool fan and took us to watch a nite game - loved the atmosphere and was hooked ever since even though im from north of the river and am surrounded by friends and family who are gas

Dad was a Plymouth fan, strongly in favour of supporting a local team. I was born in Bristol, and when I was old enough to go to matches, Rovers were playing at Twerton. So, even though we lived in Henbury, City it was.

First game I remember was a promotion party in the mid-early 90s against someone like Walsall/Chesterfield. Think we won 4-0 and remember being on the pitch afterwards.

From then on, I remember a friendly steward lifting me over the old East End barriers and standing on the red metal bars at the back of the stand to get a good view.

I then got one of the £23 season tickets with my brother, for the Ward/Lennartson relegation season. Had tickets for the next 3/4 seasons before moving away for uni and now live in Wycombe.

Get to as many games as possible now, although I can always be found hooked up BCFC player when I can't attend a game.

My first game was when in 1990, a 4-1 win against Crewe at the gate. Was 100% hooked from there on. Always have & always will support City, regardless of league or form. I don't understand how you could 'support' two or more teams. I understand having soft spots for others, I do for Newcastle & after randomly turning up to watch a game, Macclesfield Town. City are my team though, I have supported them through thick & thin, have seen them at Wembley (new & old) & Millenium Stadium. How could anyone from Bristol support anyone else!!!!?? :city: :city: :city: :city: :city: :city: :city: :city:

My first game was when in 1990, a 4-1 win against Crewe at the gate. Was 100% hooked from there on. Always have & always will support City, regardless of league or form. I don't understand how you could 'support' two or more teams. I understand having soft spots for others, I do for Newcastle & after randomly turning up to watch a game, Macclesfield Town. City are my team though, I have supported them through thick & thin, have seen them at Wembley (new & old) & Millenium Stadium. How could anyone from Bristol support anyone else!!!!?? :city: :city: :city: :city: :city: :city: :city: :city:

So you are to blame for super bob's injury?! Pah, at least you got to see his hattrick.

Born and bred in Brislington so City was always going to be my team. First game was with my mates when I was 11. Drew with Leeds in the FA Cup 1-1 (1974) and then I was hooked. We could have won the cup that year but just got done by Liverpool and they went on to win it. Happy days. 38 years of ups and downs but wouldn't change a thing.

my first game was in 88 sat in the old away end facing the mighty eastend, friends dad was a blackpool fan and took us to watch a nite game - loved the atmosphere and was hooked ever since even though im from north of the river and am surrounded by friends and family who are gas

If that's the game that finished 1-0 to us then that would have been the second match my dad took me to.

I'm City fan because I'm from Bedminster and all my family are City fans, thank F ** k!!

I moved from Belfast to Bristol when i was about 3 yrs old with my family and lived in Southville. My dad worked on the turnstiles down at the gate so me and my brothers would go along to watch City. Cant remember my first game but my dad said i was about 5 yrs old and Supported City ever since. Some great times watching us beat Bolton 3-0 at wembley, promotion in 89/90, beating Chelsea in FA Cup and nearly beating Florist in the league cup only for John Penders og :facepalm: to name a few. Moved back to Belfast when i was 11 but try to get over to watch as many games as i can.

CTID :city: :city:

Grew up in Knowle, started going to the gate with mates when I was six or seven, had a HireRite shirt and played at Ashton Park every summer thanks to the old Splash scheme.

We used to hang around outside the Gate every lunchtime getting autographs from Joe Jordan's (first) team.

I learned to despise the dirty cheating blue scum at an early age, Holloway, Alexander & Yates in particular.

I can remember pretending to be Alan Walsh or Bob Taylor or Jacki in pretty much every game of football as a kid. No other team has even crossed my mind, why would it?

I remember the old Splash scheme Nibor. Me my bro and cousin went to it. Remember Joe Jordan came over to watch his son Andrew a few times. Great memories :D

Lived in Bedminster all my life (only 18 years). Dad always supported England (went to every home game, many away) so never had money for club and country. Took me down the gate aged 7 for a 1-1 draw vs Port vale in 2001. Never looked back. I love the club and love the rustic stadium to the not so famous history

Think your first game was the day I got married, nice to see your support lasted longer!

Dad was a Spurs fan, so I followed him until I finally persuaded him to take me to the Gate when I was 13/14, was against York who had just knocked Chelsea out of the League Cup. Loved it, never looked back. R*vers were always giving tickets to our football club when we were kids, but I'd always refuse to go. Next door neighbour was City so I'd grown up listening to his stories about games, the D1 days and I wanted some of that. At least a quarter of a century later I'm still waiting for top flight football, but got memories I wouldn't swap for anything

Archived