IGNORED

Why Did You Start Supporting City?

Randy Marsh

Born and raised in Bedminster so no choice really. (Altough I would choose City anyway)

Went to my first game in December '93 (home to Forest) with my old man and brother and sister. My brother is a Forest fan and i'm ashamed to say I wore his scarf that game (It was freezing and I was only little.)

Fathers, friends etc? I initially was a Rovers fan when Holloway was there, used to go up all the time but then when it all went tits up I fell out of love with the club. I then started to follow Man United but unfortunately the distance meant I had to stick to Skysports, which was not enjoyable! After realising I was missing out on live football I heard City were a decent side (this was about 2003) and started going down every week - was ace - but eventually stopped going again.

Got my first season ticket when we went up to the Championship and got one for the next season hoping we'd be in the prem, was gutted when we lost to Hull but thankfully came up with a plan to get the club to refund the money ;):) I still went down a few times after that, but once GJ had gone and the Coppell debacle I said enough was enough and last season started following Swindon. That was great. But alas I'm not too sure how they'll do this season so have decided to come back to my home :) Last two results swayed me big time!

I expect a few will be the same kind of thing but how did you guys get into City?

UP THE REDS!

Dad was at City (and Bristol boys) as a youngster in late 40,s so soon as i was interested he took me to see City at Rotherham in 1963 (living with grandparents as Dad was in the Navy and away alot) That was it; hooked Been supporting ever since with Galley Garland, Bob Taylor & Cheesley my favourite players and many big games attended inc Cov 2-2, Leeds 1-1 &1-0 Liverpool 0-1 Spurs 1-2 Forrest 1-1 & 0-1 AET plus a lot of other games not so well remembered! City till I die

Why? Because they're by far the greatest team the world has ever seen. That said I started supporting them in 1908 when we lost to Man U in the cup final. Fair to say it's been a bit down hill since then so a lot of the time I support the women's football team instead.

glory hunter

Well I'm from Manchester and held an ST in the stretford end in the late 80's early 90's, I moved to Bristol in 93, went to my first City game in 95 I think, can't remember who we played.

That was it, I still love ManU, but in %'s I'm 90% City 10% ManU.. I'm not ashamed, I found the light eventually.

Wasn't was my first game but the first i remember was in the 89/90 season, City lost 3-1 at home to Swansea, a certain John Salako played for Swansea and tore us apart, scored two?

He scored the first one after about 15 seconds that day IIRC?

Weirdly, I can remember the t shirt I was wearing that day....my new Anthrax t shirt made it's first (and last!) appearance that day. Mullet gently blowing in the breeze, skin tight jeans, basketball boots........quite the metal head was I!

Most of my family are casual bristol city supporters, but I hated football till the age of 10 (blasphemous I know) then I started going down with my aunt, had a season ticket since 2005 (I was about 11), she passed on two seasons ago (Jayne Allen supporter of the year 09/10) but I'm hooked like I have been for years! up the reds!

One set of grandparents from St Johns Lane home of the old ground

Other set from Luckwell Road Ashton - These grandparents supported city and took my mum in the 50's

First game for me about 1976 I think when my mum took me -Stood in the east end pearing through the bars -Lost 2-0 to Notts Forest but I was hooked, aslo went to the promotion match to division 1 v West Brom

I then used to stand in the Schoolboys enclosure for 50p per game in the old first Division. Later moved to the enclosure and finally the Atyeo (season ticket) before work brought me to East Anglia 6 years ago.

My two sons 14 & 17(Big Hev) are died in the wool city fans and we get to quite a few away games each season at the moment -off to Barnsley on Saturday.

He scored the first one after about 15 seconds that day IIRC?

Weirdly, I can remember the t shirt I was wearing that day....my new Anthrax t shirt made it's first (and last!) appearance that day. Mullet gently blowing in the breeze, skin tight jeans, basketball boots........quite the metal head was I!

That sounds about right, I just remember him being lightening fast, im sure Walshy was playing as went home attempting to do the walshie shuffle. I remember being forced to drink bovril and thinking it tasted like gravy dregs. Ahhh those were the days.

I'm heartened to read just how many of you were introduced to City by your fathers.

Now I'm not one to play by the rules, in fact, I actively enjoy taking the alternative approach. I also have an extreme case of tourettes.

So, when my old man said 'be a Rovers fan.....'

Well, there are stil supporters at Ashton Gate (and some other grounds as well) who were so impressed with my cutting reply that they still sing about it to this very day.

Archived