IGNORED

Why Did You Start Supporting City?

Randy Marsh

Fathers, friends etc? I initially was a Rovers fan when Holloway was there, used to go up all the time but then when it all went tits up I fell out of love with the club. I then started to follow Man United but unfortunately the distance meant I had to stick to Skysports, which was not enjoyable! After realising I was missing out on live football I heard City were a decent side (this was about 2003) and started going down every week - was ace - but eventually stopped going again.

Got my first season ticket when we went up to the Championship and got one for the next season hoping we'd be in the prem, was gutted when we lost to Hull but thankfully came up with a plan to get the club to refund the money ;):) I still went down a few times after that, but once GJ had gone and the Coppell debacle I said enough was enough and last season started following Swindon. That was great. But alas I'm not too sure how they'll do this season so have decided to come back to my home :) Last two results swayed me big time!

I expect a few will be the same kind of thing but how did you guys get into City?

UP THE REDS!

50 years ago when I was a little thug of 3 years old my Father took me to see City vs Palace. Please understand my predicament because ALL of my family are Palace fans. Anyway as one always ready to buck the trend I was hooked and much to my families disgust fell in love with BCFC. Growing up in Nailsea made it easy to follow my love. By the way the ******* beat us 1 nil

50 years ago when I was a little thug of 3 years old my Father took me to see City vs Palace. Please understand my predicament because ALL of my family are Palace fans. Anyway as one always ready to buck the trend I was hooked and much to my families disgust fell in love with BCFC. Growing up in Nailsea made it easy to follow my love. By the way the wayne kerrs beat us 1 nil

AsI was brought up in Kingswood, I suppose I should have been a sag. Luckily my wonderful father had other ideas and took me to my first game at the Gate against York City in 1975. First night game was THAT game against Pompey, first away game was the Arsenal and first night away game was Coventry. An uncle tried to turn me blue but that wasn't happening.

How lucky was I?

Thanks dad.

I was about 11/12...asked my mate (who had been going up for a while with his dad + mates) if i could come up to a game one day. His dad replied 'just get a season ticket with us next year' - rest is history! First game was when we beat Port Vale 4-2 at AG, we were bottom and they were top, start of the 05-06 season I think: can remember Murray and Stewart scoring!

Oh dear, swapping teams? Can't believe you've admitted all that.

Was born south Bristol, city were my local team and have SUPPORTED the club through thick and thin, rather than jump ship whe the going got tough!

I sense you're looking down your nose at me a bit. But I can promise you I'm just as much of a fan as you.

Not til i was about 13/14 ... My Uncle's mate took me and took to it straight away , the first big game i remember was the Freight Rover win over Bolton 3-0 in 86 ? .. if i remember rightly my uncle had a bet on it being 3-1 and they had a late goal disallowed :) .. been all over the country with City for years but not been a regular season ticket holder til recently , now my son has his first at 7 so half my mission as a dad is complete !! he will flourish haha . ... Just in case u read this , cheers Kev :icecream:

first game about 1950. seemed a long way from portishead in those days

first real memory way a floodlit match and saw the late sir stanley mathews playing against us in a cup match i think

(i would love to know when that was).

got my first red and white scarf before that game.

born city never waivered .

Don't judge a book by it's blurb. I sing all the songs, sometimes even anti-Rovers ones.

I'M CITY 'TIL I DIE!!!

City til you support another team again? It's great that you're a City 'fan' (again) but like someone else said I can't believed you've admitted changing teams the amount of times that you have!!! Especially the teams that they are!

When I was 5, my Dad took me to my first game at home to Northampton Town in the John Ward promotion season (it was 0-0). He then took me to the Walsall game of which we celebrated the fact we had been promoted and then PNE away last game of the season; I've been hooked and a fanatic ever since!

I sense you're looking down your nose at me a bit. But I can promise you I'm just as much of a fan as you.

is that a joke? and the original post as well?? you've been a gas, united, city and swindon fan and you want people to take you seriously!? you're more confused that scooby doo mate.

is that a joke? and the original post as well?? you've been a gas, united, city and swindon fan and you want people to take you seriously!? you're more confused that scooby doo mate.

So? Doesn't make me any less of a supporter. If anything it means I'm more of a fan as I have supported a few team.

So? Doesn't make me any less of a supporter. If anything it means I'm more of a fan as I have supported a few team.

ok hands up, fell for it :):ph34r:

in answer to the thread, started supporting coz they were my local team. three quid to stand in the east end, going to school with no voice every monday after spending saturday afternoon bouncing behind pillars 3 and 4. brilliant times.

Football is a game of opinions, but I am probably more of a fan than you. How would you know?

How would I know? Well, whilst your loyalties lay elsewhere during various seasons and you made the decision to only buy a season ticket IF we made the Premier League, myself and the majority of this forum continued to support this club through thick and thin buying a season ticket depsite the division we were in because we love and support the club.

Football is a game of opinions, but I am probably more of a fan than you. How would you know?

Shut up you gas head.

I'm 15, been a city fan since forever. Nearly gone 100 home games without missing one now, also done over 50 away games. Plan on doing 15 this year minimum. Would NEVER change the team I support. You're not a fan in my eyes Randy.

Funnily enough, we were Newport County fans many years ago when they lost their ground and moved to Moreton in the Marsh. As we live in Chepstow, and yes, before you ask, I am welsh, we had a choice between Cardiff City, Hereford or one of the Bristol clubs and after suffering the hooligans at Cardiff, there was no way I would take one of my children there so we visited The Gate and have been there ever since - about 20 years I guess and we have been season ticket holders ever since.

Funnily enough, we were Newport County fans many years ago when they lost their ground and moved to Moreton in the Marsh. As we live in Chepstow, and yes, before you ask, I am welsh, we had a choice between Cardiff City, Hereford or one of the Bristol clubs and after suffering the hooligans at Cardiff, there was no way I would take one of my children there so we visited The Gate and have been there ever since - about 20 years I guess and we have been season ticket holders ever since.

remember a few newport lads coming down to support us in the 90s, which i thought bizarre at the time. food fr thought though, who would i support if city went to the wall...

Archived