IGNORED

Penny Arcade

Cider Army

The fact of the matter is that it is very offensive to many people for that reason alone it should not be sung, as someone who was brought up in a very large Irish community in KW where practically all of us were city fans it was the same at school at st. bernadettes, practically all city fans, it will not go down well, i do not condone any song being publicly sung which is so offensive to such a large amount of people and am amazed that the club would even think of alienating so many, i just cannot see how so many are trying to justify it

Mmmm...tough call, if Blackburn had strong irish links then i would agree with the Anti's on this thread, but as it stands

it's just a song that Del likes along with two others, i say give it a go, like mr mask said on another thread, if we balls it up we have bounce around the ground as a back up !

In case people don't understand why this song was taken on by Rangers and is offensive to alot of people, it was sang by Rangers in 1986 after this...

BELFAST, Northern Ireland, Sept. 17— Four gunmen burst into an amusement arcade here today and killed a Roman Catholic businessman, the 50th victim of sectarian violence in Northern Ireland this year.

Now I am not a bigot nor particularly religious but the song is about the death of someone during the troubles in Northern Ireland. Rangers have support which have very strong views regarding those issues, as do Celtic. For us to play this tune isn't a very good idea IMHO.

No, the song is about being drawn into an arcade by flashing lights and music. Why Rangers sing it is a different matter. Either way despite it sounding amazing on those videos i cant see it going down well here.

Why do you think rangers sing it at old firm games? To wind up Celtic fans.

Next we'll have those orange order scumbags marching at half time.

This is a pro loyalist song celebrating bloody sunday. Whoever suggested it is sick in the head.

As a member of the Celtic race, I can't put into words how offended I am..

This is exactly the type of trash you get up here with certain sections of fans..

As you can see by the below links, the song was written by a Yorkshire man and has recently been released to raise money for the war veterans.

I have been to Erskine hospital and it is an amazing place full of heros, who spend their last few years in comfort and looked after by dedicated carers.

The song was played after a Motherwell game and was so well liked it became an anthem.

It's bigots like yourself who deem to want to find it offensive. And fans of either club will look to read anything into ANY song sung by either team.

The authorities up here have banned sectarian songs, and I am sure a charity record would not have been realised if it was deemed this way.

Please just drop the 'sectarian' thoughts and keep those thoughts up here where the stupidness belongs.

Enjoy the great tune that was written by and Englishman, sung by an American legend and raised £1000's for our hero's.

Remember this is all about Bristol City - not the pathetic bigots that follow two great teams.

http://www.examiner.co.uk/news/local-west-yorkshire-news/2011/04/26/glasgow-rangers-fans-take-sammy-king-s-song-penny-arcade-into-charts-86081-28582195/

I take customers to both grounds and enjoy the songs sung at both stadia..

Get over it..

No, the song is about being drawn into an arcade by flashing lights and music. Why Rangers sing it is a different matter. Either way despite it sounding amazing on those videos i cant see it going down well here.

Sgt C, I totally agree that it sounds amazing on those videos but (in my opinion) it's a song adopted by Rangers supporters regarding what has already been mentioned, not written for that subject obviously but in football terms it is a Gers song. As it has been adopted by the Gers, I don't think we should be aligning with either side in Glasgow and feel it shouldn't be played but it's just my opinion. I am pretty sure there would be uproar if some of the aforementioned rebel stuff was chosen for the play list?

This is exactly the type of trash you get up here with certain sections of fans..

As you can see by the below links, the song was written by a Yorkshire man and has recently been released to raise money for the war veterans.

I have been to Erskine hospital and it is an amazing place full of heros, who spend their last few years in comfort and looked after by dedicated carers.

The song was played after a Motherwell game and was so well liked it became an anthem.

It's bigots like yourself who deem to want to find it offensive. And fans of either club will look to read anything into ANY song sung by either team.

The authorities up here have banned sectarian songs, and I am sure a charity record would not have been realised if it was deemed this way.

Please just drop the 'sectarian' thoughts and keep those thoughts up here where the stupidness belongs.

Enjoy the great tune that was written by and Englishman, sung by an American legend and raised £1000's for our hero's.

Remember this is all about Bristol City - not the pathetic bigots that follow two great teams.

http://www.examiner....86081-28582195/

Get over it..

100 % agreed 'Ricardo 'Livi' Red' :clap: :clap: :clap:

The fact of the matter is that it is very offensive to many people for that reason alone it should not be sung, as someone who was brought up in a very large Irish community in KW where practically all of us were city fans it was the same at school at st. bernadettes, practically all city fans, it will not go down well, i do not condone any song being publicly sung which is so offensive to such a large amount of people and am amazed that the club would even think of alienating so many, i just cannot see how so many are trying to justify it

Please explain it's offensiveness, is this song is offensive because Rangers fans sing it? or are there hidden meanings in it's lyrics?.

http://www.examiner....86081-28582195/

Get over it..

Hear bloody hear.....

Ironic that the people moaning tabout it being a "sectarian" song have done nothing but turn this thread about creating a better atmosphere at the ground into sectarian drivel.......just goes to show how easy it is for something innocent to be turned into something sinister

I see adopting what is essentially a Scottish football song (despite being written by an Englishman) as another subtle erosion of our West Country heritage. We already have enough Scottish influence within our club with the manager, his assistant, the head of development and several players all originating from North of the border. Its an alarming trend and even the Gas have a Scot in charge.

The last thing we need is City fans signing a Rangers song.......its just another marginal gain towards the ultimate aim.

I see adopting what is essentially a Scottish football song (despite being written by an Englishman) as another subtle erosion of our West Country heritage. We already have enough Scottish influence within our club with the manager, his assistant, the head of development and several players all originating from North of the border. Its an alarming trend and even the Gas have a Scot in charge.

The last thing we need is City fans signing a Rangers song.......its just another marginal gain towards the ultimate aim.

Bit racist.

Bit racist.

Bring back an English manager! What about that Millen bloke? (not Johnson though.....)

:icecream:

It's all about the song... Try not to get too blinkered who sings it.

Every song that comes from the terrace is rarely original.

And for years we have tried to be original.

I think every fan would love 'One for the Bristol City' and 'Drink up thee Cider' ... And on many occasions they get sung with real passion.

But unfortunately as a club we are very poor at wanting to develop and adopt.

The Liquidator is played at numerous stadia and IMHO is dire.

Sorry to bring in Rangers again, but they have a 5/10 min spell before the teams come out when they play tunes that relate to the club.

And finishes with 'Simply the Best' as the teams enter the pitch.

The fans begin to sing the medley and it reaches the pitch when Tina starts to sing.

Now that's what David Lloyd should do... A medley of songs that start the clapping and flag waving just as teams arrive.

Get the crowd involved.

It's not that Del is looking to bring 'mini Gers' to Ashton Gate, what he is looking to do is to develop what works elsewhere.

Let's take it on board make the passion begin and Bristol City unique. It's not about who sings what or what he song is supposed to mean its about making our club rock and give visiting fans the right to say 'wow - this place is special'..

'If you do as you do... You will always get what you've got'

FFS Its not a scottish football song....its a song about a visit to a amusement arcade sang by Roy fking Orbison that has been sung by Rangers fans as a pre-match atmosphere builder.......thats it, thats all

Del has seen it first hand and has suggested we could use it to help with the atmosphere........no hidden agenda, no sectarianism, no plans to turn Ashton gate into a Scottish Republic

May I remid you that our most succesful period in history included a large number of scots in the team....did you have a problem with that?

One of our greatest players.....Gerry Gow......Ooooooh a Scot

One of our most popular players.......Scott Murray......ooooh another Scot

Jeez.....

Wait 'till you see next season's tartan away kit !

It's all about the song... Try not to get too blinkered who sings it.

Every song that comes from the terrace is rarely original.

And for years we have tried to be original.

I think every fan would love 'One for the Bristol City' and 'Drink up thee Cider' ... And on many occasions they get sung with real passion.

But unfortunately as a club we are very poor at wanting to develop and adopt.

The Liquidator is played at numerous stadia and IMHO is dire.

Sorry to bring in Rangers again, but they have a 5/10 min spell before the teams come out when they play tunes that relate to the club.

And finishes with 'Simply the Best' as the teams enter the pitch.

The fans begin to sing the medley and it reaches the pitch when Tina starts to sing.

Now that's what David Lloyd should do... A medley of songs that start the clapping and flag waving just as teams arrive.

Get the crowd involved.

It's not that Del is looking to bring 'mini Gers' to Ashton Gate, what he is looking to do is to develop what works elsewhere.

Let's take it on board make the passion begin and Bristol City unique. It's not about who sings what or what he song is supposed to mean its about making our club rock and give visiting fans the right to say 'wow - this place is special'..

'If you do as you do... You will always get what you've got'

That's it ban all Tina Turner songs at the gate because rangers fans sing one of her songs.

As someone of anti rangers origin I find there songs like many Celtic songs to be filled with hate and bile. You would be hard pushed to have a song they sing which isn't in some way a wind up to Catholics or to Celtic. Even harmless songs on the face of it like the bouncy have their origin some say, in sectarian roots. The kicking to death of catholic civilian Robert Hammil is supposed to be what the bouncy is about. The point however that is being missed is the fact that we are Bristol city football club and we are unique, we don't need anyone’s songs but are own. The old days should not be watered down they should be cherished and held on to because that is our identity. Whether it is a Rangers, a Leeds, a Liverpool or a Yeovil song we don't need it, we have enough already. Del can play whatever he wants to the players but we need one for the Bristol city and the wurzels to reverberate around the gate. Oh and any Celtic fans who want to try and argue the odds on the old firm will never succeed on this forum, we are outnumbered.

As someone of anti rangers origin I find there songs like many Celtic songs to be filled with hate and bile. You would be hard pushed to have a song they sing which isn't in some way a wind up to Catholics or to Celtic. Even harmless songs on the face of it like the bouncy have their origin some say, in sectarian roots. The kicking to death of catholic civilian Robert Hammil is supposed to be what the bouncy is about. The point however that is being missed is the fact that we are Bristol city football club and we are unique, we don't need anyone’s songs but are own. The old days should not be watered down they should be cherished and held on to because that is our identity. Whether it is a Rangers, a Leeds, a Liverpool or a Yeovil song we don't need it, we have enough already. Del can play whatever he wants to the players but we need one for the Bristol city and the wurzels to reverberate around the gate. Oh and any Celtic fans who want to try and argue the odds on the old firm will never succeed on this forum, we are outnumbered.

Wouldn't it be great to be able to rock the Gate with Wurzel based songs.. And perhaps a medley of 'Ruby, Combined Harvestor, Blackburd etc' as the team comes out would work..

So why hasn't it been done..?

Great to have a single identity, but sometimes it takes a radical change to bring out something in the fans.

Perhaps we will never be able to have any sing that will rock the Gate.. It's just the way us fans are.

But something catchy like Penny Arcade that gets the EE jumping before the game will definitely have an affect.

You are right about all things Old Firm.. But while it is difficult to avoid, this is what works for BCFC.. Not what anyone else wants to read into it.

For me listening to Irene winds me up...

FFS Its not a scottish football song....its a song about a visit to a amusement arcade sang by Roy fking Orbison that has been sung by Rangers fans as a pre-match atmosphere builder.......thats it, thats all

Del has seen it first hand and has suggested we could use it to help with the atmosphere........no hidden agenda, no sectarianism, no plans to turn Ashton gate into a Scottish Republic

May I remid you that our most succesful period in history included a large number of scots in the team....did you have a problem with that?

One of our greatest players.....Gerry Gow......Ooooooh a Scot

One of our most popular players.......Scott Murray......ooooh another Scot

Jeez.....

You obviously can't see what the 'ultimate end' is. You should be worried, very worried.

can you enlighten me on that Robbo I don't know if you are serious or being funny on this one

It's a song, that's all. If Rangers sing it to wind up Celtic then that won't echo with many down here - only those that decide they want to be offended. As someone who can't stand the Wurzels yokel stuff and get's bored with Hi Ho Silver Lining this must be worth a go surely.

On a different point, did anyone notice the gap between the Rangers and Celtic fans at the far end? Only about 5 seats! Makes me think that the dead space routinely maintained in th EE between home and away fans is way over the top.

You obviously can't see what the 'ultimate end' is. You should be worried, very worried.

Your right, I cant.....probably along with most of this forum

Enlighten me.......has Del rented out "The Fields of Ashton Vale" (ooooh, lets not go there!) as the scene for Braveheart 2?

Or is the entire squad going to star in a new historical remake of the Battle of the Boyne....renamed "Battle of the Boing" in recognition of Del's time at the Baggies

Archived