IGNORED

Hooligans, We Thank You

Tall King Blox

Ok guys, i know i will be slaughtered for this but i got to get this baby off my chest...

As some of you may know i am not the youngest poster on this forum, and hopefully, not the oldest !

but i see posts on here slaging off the very people that make football what it is today....Yes Hooligans !!!

When i was a babby in the old covered end ( east end for our younger viewers ) it was scarves and rattles

and jolly ho! and people wore badges and stuff on theire scarves, then one day back god i dont remember the year, we played Chelsea in a pre-season i think, point is that they came to the gate all wearing ( in pete townshend style) white boiler suites, and from looking from the covered end i remember they had a football which was kicked onto the pitch, which enveribly was followed by a pitch invasion and an impromptu game followed kicking towards the covered end,(east end), the ball goes in the net then they all jumped the fences and mobbed behind the goal, what followed that day is a bit of a fog cos it went a bit mental, local mods that were there mobbed as far as i remember and i think a few handbags were exchanged ( if you were there please enlighten me cos it's a bloody long time ago, selective memory and all that)....long story short as far as i remember the next home game we had a crew in the east end, comprising of, mods skins and utter nutters from all across bristol.......and we had a voice, for the first time i remember hearing chants at ashton gate!

not the crap that the blue few regurgitated every game " HAROLD " but a new found identity that drew me like a magnet...I immediately became part of the East End, and the rest is history, we fought, we sang, and we stuck together, home and away!......so next time one of you limp wristed tossers have a go at hooligans, remember yer history, and remember, we never wore flares.........thanks for reading...rant well and truely over

Ok guys, i know i will be slaughtered for this but i got to get this baby off my chest...

As some of you may know i am not the youngest poster on this forum, and hopefully, not the oldest !

but i see posts on here slaging off the very people that make football what it is today....Yes Hooligans !!!

When i was a babby in the old covered end ( east end for our younger viewers ) it was scarves and rattles

and jolly ho! and people wore badges and stuff on theire scarves, then one day back god i dont remember the year, we played Chelsea in a pre-season i think, point is that they came to the gate all wearing ( in pete townshend style) white boiler suites, and from looking from the covered end i remember they had a football which was kicked onto the pitch, which enveribly was followed by a pitch invasion and an impromptu game followed kicking towards the covered end,(east end), the ball goes in the net then they all jumped the fences and mobbed behind the goal, what followed that day is a bit of a fog cos it went a bit mental, local mods that were there mobbed as far as i remember and i think a few handbags were exchanged ( if you were there please enlighten me cos it's a bloody long time ago, selective memory and all that)....long story short as far as i remember the next home game we had a crew in the east end, comprising of, mods skins and utter nutters from all across bristol.......and we had a voice, for the first time i remember hearing chants at ashton gate!

not the crap that the blue few regurgitated every game " HAROLD " but a new found identity that drew me like a magnet...I immediately became part of the East End, and the rest is history, we fought, we sang, and we stuck together, home and away!......so next time one of you limp wristed tossers have a go at hooligans, remember yer history, and remember, we never wore flares.........thanks for reading...rant well and truely over

Very good post. Modern football is so sanitised and far to money/family orientated.

Very good post. Modern football is so sanitised and far to money/family orientated.

Not really my point, it is how it,s moved on, i respect that the day of falling around the terracing swapping punches with the nearest target ( usually one of your own ) is long gone, but the point is a lot of people are too ready to have a pop at that part of our support that actually brought the buzz into football, well for me it did, maybe i am branded an idiot as my well informed "RED DAVE" has so bravely commented, but hey Limp Wristed still stands x

I don't remember the boiler suits but I remember Chelsea skinheads invading the pitch and climbing into the east end. Their ensued some breaches of the peace. I remember that there were two local greebos at the back of the EE (bootwalk) and one smacked a chelsea fan, square round the head with his crash helmet.

After the match there were outbreaks of violence along coronation road, with chelsea fans being attacked and reputedly, some ending up in the river or mud banks.

After that as you say, the rest is history and has definately shaped the game and the type of support.

Having said that, my father in law told me that there was always trouble at Millwall games and that they'd had their ground closed as long ago as the thirties.

I don't remember the boiler suits but I remember Chelsea skinheads invading the pitch and climbing into the east end. Their ensued some breaches of the peace. I remember that there were two local greebos at the back of the EE (bootwalk) and one smacked a chelsea fan, square round the head with his crash helmet.

After the match there were outbreaks of violence along coronation road, with chelsea fans being attacked and reputedly, some ending up in the river or mud banks.

After that as you say, the rest is history and has definately shaped the game and the type of support.

Having said that, my father in law told me that there was always trouble at Millwall games and that they'd had their ground closed as long ago as the thirties.

Thanks for the back up, are you an idiot too ? :dancer2:

I'll take issue on some parts. The game you mention was summer '68. The bit I'm not so happy about was the singing. The EE was singing long before then. My earliest recollection was our first season back in the second tier 1965. There was deffo singing then. I used to listen in awe from the old enclosure as I had to be taken by the old man and he refused to stand in there... "load of idiots, ruining football" he used to say.

I'll take issue on some parts. The game you mention was summer '68. The bit I'm not so happy about was the singing. The EE was singing long before then. My earliest recollection was our first season back in the second tier 1965. There was deffo singing then. I used to listen in awe from the old enclosure as I had to be taken by the old man and he refused to stand in there... "load of idiots, ruining football" he used to say.

Thank for that, like i said twas a long time ago and i respect your recollection, didnt get to many games, thinking about it this might have been my first game, that said thanks for the input, i stand corrected, respect, and thanks for explenation earlier of yer username, nutter.....crumbs, just done me sums, i was twelve, god have mercy on me shoes

Thanks for the back up, are you an idiot too ? :dancer2:

I am an idiot of the highest order.

As for the singing, my brother attended matches before me (66/7) and he told me of drums being used and the choir as they were termed singing and chanting, so it was definately before that, Don't you remember Engand 66 and Man UTD 68?

Thank for that, like i said twas a long time ago and i respect your recollection, didnt get to many games, thinking about it this might have been my first game, that said thanks for the input, i stand corrected, respect, and thanks for explenation earlier of yer username, nutter.....crumbs, just done me sums, i was twelve, god have mercy on me shoes

No probs, us East Bris. lads have to stick together you know ! :0)

I am an idiot of the highest order.

As for the singing, my brother attended matches before me (66/7) and he told me of drums being used and the choir as they were termed singing and chanting, so it was definately before that, Don't you remember Engand 66 and Man UTD 68?

Yes, feeling a tad knobish now, but i was only twelve, had a hole in me underpants, i was distracted, but thanks for the positives, just would like to shut up the " posh fans " that dont understand our roots, warts n all

Yes, feeling a tad knobish now, but i was only twelve, had a hole in me underpants, i was distracted, but thanks for the positives, just would like to shut up the " posh fans " that dont understand our roots, warts n all

I don't know why you should feel knobish, (maybe the hole in your pants). Unless you were there and experienced the noise, colour, vibrancy, rivalry, adrenalin rush from the whole experience as a yougster, then it cannot be explained. Maybe being brought up watching war films or the 300 spartans did it. Kids get a rush from fingering a control pad now, not running up the road as Ben Hur, spartacus or Zarro.

I don't know why you should feel knobish, (maybe the hole in your pants). Unless you were there and experienced the noise, colour, vibrancy, rivalry, adrenalin rush from the whole experience as a yougster, then it cannot be explained. Maybe being brought up watching war films or the 300 spartans did it. Kids get a rush from fingering a control pad now, not running up the road as Ben Hur, spartacus or Zarro.

Bring back saturday morning films for the depraved few ( aint gonna happen for reasons you mention) but the rush for me will live forever, leaving home at ten, ( tenniscourt road) walk up to ernies(moravian road) for a curry and chips ( breakfast ) then down over hanham road to the bus depot to get the number 9 to the gate, with all it's resplendant fan friendly venue's,( the programme shop with no heating and shite staff) to while away the time till the turnstilles opened so you could go and sit on a frozen bit of terracing till your heroe's entered the arena, or buy nats piss tea or bovrill to bring the feeling back to your fingers, Hospitallity my arse, Ime a friggin hooligan, now i know why,

the fights kept me warm, loved every minute of it,

The late 60's and 70's were mental. Defo was a buzz in those days that is missing now.

Who else went from East End on to the Park End to the Grandstand Paddock and then to Dolman Block A?

Interesting that even the police are more chilled today ... posted that after the Cardifff match. Seems to be policy based on our 'friends' at the WMP - as reported on the BBC last week. It's football Jim, but not as we know it!

Going back to The East End for Leeds - so full circle for me.

The late 60's and 70's were mental. Defo was a buzz in those days that is missing now.

Who else went from East End on to the Park End to the Grandstand Paddock and then to Dolman Block A?

Interesting that even the police are more chilled today ... posted that after the Cardifff match. Seems to be policy based on our 'friends' at the WMP - as reported on the BBC last week. It's football Jim, but not as we know it!

Going back to The East End for Leeds - so full circle for me.

Good comment, good circle, funny old life init, done the same thing, same order, probs same age, probs no hair he he, cant do leeds, my sister by some remarkable throw of the dice has decided to be sixty this sunday, she lives on exmoor so down there for the weekend with all bros and sisters ( mob handed, 6 of us ) have a safe day, and dont sit on the steps of the dolman, last time leeds fans were throwing themselves down em

Not being from the 'hooligan era' i just cannot agree. For me the excitement of going to a football match is to support my team. If we win then the adrenaline i gain from that is enough for me, seeing 40 odd blokes with skin heads running towards me looking for a fight (for what reason?) does not excite me in anyway.

Maybe i dont understand because since ive been going to football, apart from a few handbags here and there, i have never seen anything like what you describe, and i cannot see that as part and parcel of football; if anything it is alien to me. for the 'old school' thats maybe where the rush you got from football came from, but i think nowadays especially for me the rush i get from football comes from a completely different aspect.

After the East End, I fear the wheelchair enclosure in the Ateyo may be the next stop!! Interesting you spot the odd 'faces' who've done the same round.

Obviously similar life footie experiences I was on the 'frontline' of the incursion in north Bristol.

May pass you in the opposite direction on the M5 - Dartmoor's better than Exmoor BTW. Watch out for the odd Slag heading down to Exeter en-route.

Not being from the 'hooligan era' i just cannot agree. For me the excitement of going to a football match is to support my team. If we win then the adrenaline i gain from that is enough for me, seeing 40 odd blokes with skin heads running towards me looking for a fight (for what reason?) does not excite me in anyway.

Maybe i dont understand because since ive been going to football, apart from a few handbags here and there, i have never seen anything like what you describe, and i cannot see that as part and parcel of football; if anything it is alien to me. for the 'old school' thats maybe where the rush you got from football came from, but i think nowadays especially for me the rush i get from football comes from a completely different aspect.

Not a problem, we all live our lives as we see fit, in those early days football was a kind of release from ( sorry for the cliche) a crap school, no hope, and to a lesser part, no real direction as to where i wanted to be, that said i would be a liar if i didnt say that when i ran with the boys down at BS3 every saturday was amazing, be it home or away, and before you label me as this or that i will say that i found companionship, trust and love, in a manly gruff voice kinda way, still feel it in my heart, when i go to the gate and see the police vans i get a stiffy, should of changed them pants

After the East End, I fear the wheelchair enclosure in the Ateyo may be the next stop!! Interesting you spot the odd 'faces' who've done the same round.

Obviously similar life footie experiences I was on the 'frontline' of the incursion in north Bristol.

May pass you in the opposite direction on the M5 - Dartmoor's better than Exmoor BTW. Watch out for the odd Slag heading down to Exeter en-route.

yawn

Edit, sorry, mis read your post, bad time of year for Dartmoor, done that place all over,

Made me smile!

Archived