IGNORED

Hooligans, We Thank You

Tall King Blox

The first time I can remember away fans singing behind the goal in the East End was against Wolves (I think). Possibly 1965 ish and an evening ko. (need some help here if anyone can remember it)

I was amazed at how many of them there were, they all sang together throughout the game, knew all the words, and helped their team to victory. It was the Wolves fans showing us how it was done, and they were good!

After that The City East End started to get it together, and the rest is history.

Probably the game that really stands out for me was when Millwall turned up in their full skinhead gear. They congregated at the back of the East End, and had the run of the place without too much resistance. All a bit scarey and the first time I'd seen proper hard core 'fans'.

If a baby is conceived via rape and the mother loves the child unconditionally does that mean she should be thankful of the rape?

I'm sorry but hooliganism has no part in football and is nothing to look back and be thankful of, sure it drove a lot of football revenue in the past but there is nothing good in beating a fellow man and no rivalry justifies physical violence. Anyone who condones football hooligans obviously does not have children and also has no respect for the game of football can bring people together, it's sporting events like the Olympics that shows the true nature of a sport, where sportsmen and women can compete at the highest level and still maintain respect for one another.

I'm sure I'll get a lot of "the world ain't a perfect place" or "football is not like any other sport" but the reason it's not like any other sport is because it's tainted, tainted by bad sports, arrogant people who are overpaid and under worked and this is fuelling a bad nature within the sport, a "cheat to win" philosophy that deems cheating "ok".

Sorry but hooligans are pathetic people with little to no real clue on what life is about, I'd much rather sit in a family stand and sing with my kids knowing they'll do the same thing when they a're parents themselves than put some guy in hospital over nothing and cause his family a heart ache when they see him all bruised and bloodied.

It's this "hooliganism is good" attitude that holds the club back, I mean why would the council want us to have a new stadium when they can come on here and read idiotic posts that glorify violence within the very city that we want the stadium to be built?! I honestly hope that any hooligan element left going to the games gets banned for life, you're not a supporter, you're a virus clinging onto the club leaching the very life from it.

The first time I can remember away fans singing behind the goal in the East End was against Wolves (I think). Possibly 1965 ish and an evening ko. (need some help here if anyone can remember it)

I was amazed at how many of them there were, they all sang together throughout the game, knew all the words, and helped their team to victory. It was the Wolves fans showing us how it was done, and they were good!

After that The City East End started to get it together, and the rest is history.

Probably the game that really stands out for me was when Millwall turned up in their full skinhead gear. They congregated at the back of the East End, and had the run of the place without too much resistance. All a bit scarey and the first time I'd seen proper hard core 'fans'.

That was the first match under our new floodlights,'65.

Wolves fans also paid people in the "Nelson Mandela" flats to use their balcony !

I was a kid when the 70s in the glory years. At away games i was scared - bricks coming over barriers etc landing on 10 year olds - oh the good old days. At both home and away all it meant for me was a lot more police and a lot more hearding of fans. Holiganism directly led to Hysel - dead people oh joy - and indirectly to Hillsborough - by making the police presence and influence so great. What i hate about the hooliganism is it gives the authorities a chance to treat fans like cattle. Never put me off going though.

I wonder how many people in this thread condeming the OP were actually around "back in the day" ?

I was and have some empathy as to where the OP is coming from. I well remember those days and the sense of 'belonging' that came with it. To be honest my memory is of lots and lots of laughs, lots of posturing and the occasional bit of 'aggro' as it was called back then. We didn't get into brawls every away game. The County Ground was always a place where you would find 'bovver'

I see it differently now almost 40 years on. I don't have the desire to 'belong' any more nor do I have the testosterone levels to want to smash up the opposition fans.I take a dim view of hooliganism but at the same time understand why it happens.

hooligans are just thugs and have no place in the modern game anymore, all they do is get the club into trouble which in turn causes sanctions like playing behind closed doors incresed police pressence and restrictions on where you can sit,

praising them is stupid imo

I wonder how many people in this thread condeming the OP were actually around "back in the day" ?

Or is it just the Daily Mail / BBC news version that they can relate to ?

My father was back in the day and he's lucky to see today after a Chelsea fan cornered him and stuck a glass bottle in his head, he almost died from blood loss... yeah ******* great days they were...

Yes thank you hooligans indeed for without you we would not have

• Bubble matches
  • No drinking on official coach travel to ANY away games
  • Laws covering "no drinking enroute to any designated sporting event" (a law which I have experience with when driving a private minibus to Norwich Away in the cup back in 90's......£150 fine and additional trip to Norfolk to appear in court)
  • Constant videoing of fans "in case of trouble"
  • West Mids police arresting anyone who hints at having a drink....
  • Being treated as cattle as and when it suits the authorities
  • ID Cards and memberships to be even allowed to buy a ticket to a game
  • Dare I add FULL SEATER STADIA .........
  • High cost of match policing for "vulnerable" games ...all of which is passed on
  • CCTV to Police throughout stadia
  • Posters having to shout "what about our civil rights"

The list can go on and on.........

Yes thank you .

Yes thank you hooligans indeed for without you we would not have

• Bubble matches
  • No drinking on official coach travel to ANY away games
  • Laws covering "no drinking enroute to any designated sporting event" (a law which I have experience with when driving a private minibus to Norwich Away in the cup back in 90's......£150 fine and additional trip to Norfolk to appear in court)
  • Constant videoing of fans "in case of trouble"
  • West Mids police arresting anyone who hints at having a drink....
  • Being treated as cattle as and when it suits the authorities
  • ID Cards and memberships to be even allowed to buy a ticket to a game
  • Dare I add FULL SEATER STADIA .........
  • High cost of match policing for "vulnerable" games ...all of which is passed on
  • CCTV to Police throughout stadia
  • Posters having to shout "what about our civil rights"

The list can go on and on.........

Yes thank you .

I would disagree. Much of that can be attributed to government policy and a shift to a more authoritarian police force. The criminal justice act of the nineties changed laws, freedoms, police powers and attitudes to towards public order. Radical activists, ravers, travellers, squatters etc would also recognise those themes.

Not really my point, it is how it,s moved on, i respect that the day of falling around the terracing swapping punches with the nearest target ( usually one of your own ) is long gone, but the point is a lot of people are too ready to

have a pop at that part of our support that

actually brought the buzz into football, well for

me it did, maybe i am branded an idiot as my

well informed "RED DAVE" has so bravely

commented, but hey Limp Wristed still stands x

You claim hooligans brought the 'buzz' into football. Are you serious?! And there was I with my quaint notion that it was the performance (or non-performance) of the players on the pitch that permeated to the fans, leading to the 'buzz'

How deluded are you to claim that other fans owe the excitement of football games to hooligans?! Note when I say 'other fans' - as you obviously set yourselves apart and think you are above us 'limp-wristed' fans.

You and your fellow hooligans have hijacked football as a convenient conduit to conduct your thuggish bullyish behaviour - because that's all you are - thugs and bullies.

Aa I have suggested before - stop using football as your alibi / excuse - leave football in peace - and go and fight each other till you are no more.

Football doesn't want you - football doesn't need you.

Sorry but the original post looks like it's written by a child. OP is Probably uneducated with a low IQ so to be expected that he comes out with such drivel.

I think the original post was made in good spirit and captured a nostalgia for the era. It has also encouraged a sensible debate that's been interesting to read. Your post, on the other hand, reverts to name calling. Detach yourself for one moment and ask, which post is it which looks like it was written by a child.

And to Kingswood Mask, great post, and good to see someone posting such words and sentiments in full knowledge the forum top table would have kittens. fair play mate!

I think the original post was made in good spirit and captured a nostalgia for the era. It has also encouraged a sensible debate that's been interesting to read. Your post, on the other hand, reverts to name calling. Detach yourself for one moment and ask, which post is it which looks like it was written by a child.

And to Kingswood Mask, great post, and good to see someone posting such words and sentiments in full knowledge the forum top table would have kittens. fair play mate!

Thank you for your post, you are one of the few who actually understood the original post,

to be fair a few on here have been belting on about the hooligan element at football today, i do not condone violence in any way,shape or form, though on occasions in the seventies did get mixed up in a few hadbag stand off's

That said my original post was trying to say when the "Ends" came into being the atmosphere at games became exciting, dare i say even enjoyable, and that buzz is still with us today, started mainly by the hooligans, thats all

Yes, feeling a tad knobish now, but i was only twelve, had a hole in me underpants, i was distracted, but thanks for the positives, just would like to shut up the " posh fans " that dont understand our roots, warts n all

"Posh fans"?! I must have missed Cameron Osborne Gove Mitchell in the crowd.....

What a pathetic excuse for violence and thuggery. I went to Bristol Comp / come from an abusive family background (alcohol) - but I never once felt that gave me excuses to hit bully abuse anyone. We are all responsible for our own actions / and responsible for changing them for the better.

Next you will be telling me it's not the hooligan it's the alcohol that made them do it.....

It's interesting to note how many posts allude to manliness versus limp-wristedness - but as Moz stated

It's so easy to laugh and so easy to hate

It takes guts to be gentle and kind

Thank you for your post, you are one of the few who actually understood the original post,

to be fair a few on here have been belting on about the hooligan element at football today, i do not condone violence in any way,shape or form, though on occasions in the seventies did get mixed up in a few hadbag stand off's

That said my original post was trying to say when the "Ends" came into being the atmosphere at games became exciting, dare i say even enjoyable, and that buzz is still with us today, started mainly by the hooligans, thats all

football is nothing without the tribalism that surrounds it. It lends an edge that other sports can't replicate. I'm certainly younger than Kingswood, but it's this atmosphere that hooked me when I was a young'un, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

The more this hereditary atmosphere is eroded and the more the game is sanitized the more we have to rely on daft initiatives to turn 'the gate or red' or whatever it is the club tries to do nowadays. What was once a game for lads who wanted a laugh on saturday has evolved into some sort of bastardized version of the NFL. It's soul destroying to see. Football lost it's edge a long time ago, and i for one miss the 'old days', and I'm speaking as someone who is relatively young but had the privilege of catching the tail end of a standing east end and the glories that came with it.

I don't miss getting my head caved in, and like Kingswood i do not condone violence, but remembering the buzz of old - wow. Modern football doesn't compare. Of course, it's predictable to see the OTIB superfans united in condemnation without actually reading the posts fully and appreciating their nostalgia for terrace culture.

The terrace culture was ended because of deaths due indirectly to hooliganism.

there is not one sane soul on the planet who would not agree that any death at football is wrong and deeply saddening. But did the closure of terraces stop the deaths? People are still dropping dead at football grounds the world over, deleting terraces from the map hasn't changed that, it's only changed the matchday experience into something that really isn't enjoyable.

The terrace culture was ended because of deaths due indirectly to hooliganism.

Hillsborough could have happened in any previous decade. Where deaths in the forties at stadiums indirectly attributed to over crowding or a sub culture?

Terrace culture - football culture was not the only thing ended under Margaret Thatcher. Read up on the criminal justice act and who it was targetted against

I would disagree. Much of that can be attributed to government policy and a shift to a more authoritarian police force. The criminal justice act of the nineties changed laws, freedoms, police powers and attitudes to towards public order. Radical activists, ravers, travellers, squatters etc would also recognise those themes.

why isn't that the case for rugby then? dare i say because there isn't or has ever been a hooligan problem?

Archived