IGNORED

Small Town In Asia

the frampton balti

What worries me is how few black and Asian faces I see in the crowd at the Gate - Zero. You know why? Because City have a poor reputation re attitudes to other ethnic groups. Chants like this maintain this notion of an unwelcoming fanbase.

I remember the bad old days of monkey chants and bananna throwing. This was considered by some to be 'banter' too. With this sort of stuff your either moving away from it or toward it. Zero tolerance I say.

Why non of these threads for "small town in Wales" then? Surely thats racist too? Nobody actually means it, but again lets all get offended on behalf of others. We can have banter about anything, ooooh, but lets not have banter about race. The difference is if it was actually meant in a hatred way then fair enough, but for **** sake.... Doyou honestly feel that this was a "rasist attack". Stop being so bloody soft.

Umh, cos we don't sing it?

I don't see that those songs are racist ! Just pepole trying to make something out of nothing yet again. Please someone explain what is racist about singing Leicesters a sh*t hole it smells of curry ? As that in no way states anything racist ! Unless you wish to twist it so it does.

Ok, let me put it a different way. Do you believe every City fan singing that song saw it as simply good-natured teasing? Or do they actually see being Asian as being something negative?

Badger, I'm not accusing you of using it as something racist, as I'm sure you aren't. But are you sure some of the others singing it actually meant it as a bit more than playful banter? That's my point, and that's why I won't sing it.

I agree (I wasn't at the game so wasn't using any of it). Maybe some of some people were actually being racist (which I obviously don't approve of). The issue I have is people automatically being offended on behalf of other people and everyone being so bloody PC these days. I'm not great at explaining myself sometimes..

Where would "You're just a small town in Derby" stand?

I was of the view that if just a small town in asia is racist then so is just a small town in wales, on first look

but having thought about it, the Wales thing is a geographical dig - the Asia song is a dig at the diverse culture in Leicester with lots of ethnic minorities living in the area.

Likewise, if Leicester did smell like curry, which from memory it doesn't, I wouldn't have a problem with the curry song but that is based on a recial stereotype which is arguably worse. "Eastville's a sh!thole it smells like methane" is the closest answer I could come up with for somewhere that does/did smell specifically different.

We've only sung it a couple of times but "If we're welsh you must be french" is a much more PC come back to the Welsh chants and IMO far funnier

I bet every asian in the ground thought,oh dear not those boring,witless songs again,is that all you can come up with,must try harder as I really don't give a ****.

That can be backed up with evidence. Last time this debate involving Leicester was on here I went on the Leicester forum and asked. From memory something like 90% of their Asian fans - of which there are quite a few - either weren't offended or thought we were just a bit thick, or unoriginal, or all of those.

Still, its a free country, we have the right to be offended on their behalf.

Yeah boring and pathetic, but what attitude does it give out. Like I said no Asian or black support at the Gate - Why? and dont say its cos they're all Sags cos that is rubbish.

Surely this is a cultural thing though ? Football is not as popular a game in Asia as in other parts of the world ? It's starting to take off in China / Japan but the likes of India , Pakistan is all about Cricket.

I dont think you see that many Asians at football anywhere in the country (except those 2 that sit by Sir Alex at Old Trafford)

Yeah boring and pathetic, but what attitude does it give out. Like I said no Asian or black support at the Gate - Why? and dont say its cos they're all Sags cos that is rubbish.

There are black and asian supporters at the gate,not many I know,but some.As for the sags they have a lot less than us,I know because I live near the shithole that is the mem and see hardly any making thier way to the ground(hardly any white fans for that matter).

So much about life is about simple perceptions.

Sometimes we all to step back and think what it is like to walk in somebody elses shoes.

After a game at Brentford I was called "WELSH!" Self harmed, cried myself to sleep for weeks and still get a churning feeling in my stomach even now.

Please allow me to get upset on your behalf.

If football wasnt my first choice game and another sport like cricket was.

Coupled with the shite football on offer and the price to get in, not sure I would want to turn up.

Thats not saying City fans are racist and people from other ethnic backgrounds are not welcome, its probably just not worth it to them.

"Asian" is not a race, it is pretty daft to suggest it is, look at India and china. different races, both in Asia. saying Asian is a race would be like saying European is a race. Asia is a geographical location just like Wales so the parallels are there to be drawn.

funnily enough, by saying there's a difference between "Small town in Asia" and "Small town in Wales" and that chanting England to Leicester is unacceptable but to Cardiff is fine you are actually being racist. that would be saying that its fine to chant something to white people, but not to people who aren't white.

also the argument that people from asia being a different race doesn't stack up. does that mean black people can't sing "small town in wales" because apparently as indicated here welsh people are white (again ridiculous thing to imply), and by extension that would be racism.

anyway that's my rant over. but it's strange to see that the two camp mentality still remains on these type of message boards. at this club it's particularly apparent, we have no realists here. only optimists and pessimists.

Isn't the 'small town in Asia' chant in relation to their being owned by a rich Asian chap? I can see how it might be misconstrued, but even if it is I think it's a bit of a stretch to call it racist

PS The Welsh are not a separate race and they're certainly not 'Celtic' the idea of a Celtic race was dreamt up by the Victorians. Most of the Welsh, especially those from coastal areas, are actually descended from the English merchants, tradesmen, servants and soldiers who manned the castles and walled towns following the subjugation of Wales during the early middle ages

Slighting someone for being a different skin colour is worse than slighting them for living in a principality. If you cannot see the difference then you are either misguided or ignorant. Either way, there is no point in entering discussion or debate with you as, in my experience, people with your outlook rarely see the light.

Racist attitudes can be directed to people with the same colour but from a different race , take Hitlers view of theJews and Russians as an example.

So it is perfectly possible to be racist against the Welsh , Scots or French because they are a different race from the English and therefore they can be racist against the English.

Slightly someone for being Welsh is the same as slightly someone for being Asian it's wrong on both accounts, you can't say one is worse than the other because it's not .

Closer to home (for me anyway) is Luton which also has a massive Asian population. I'm sure these chants are aimed at the indigenous white fans, having a dig at them as they support a club based in an area which has been somehow "taken over" by another race/culture. Whether they are offended or not I don't know - "small town in Wales" gets my back up though as well as "you're Welsh and you know you are".

What is really interesting is whether the Asian supporters of Luton (or Leicester) get offended.

Was it racist when we sang 'Engerland Engerland Engerland' away at Watford the other week?

I joined in the songs at Leicester. I do not view them as racist and I certainly did not sing them in a hateful, spiteful, aggressive manner. I sang in a whistful, banterous fashion, one where no harm was intended and no harm was done.

For me the song is based around the facts of modern day Britain, where we are an open and free society, where multi-culturalism is alive and kicking and people of all nations can freely engage in a bit of harmless banter with no malice intended.

I'm sure there will have been some Leicester fans labelling us as uneducated farmers. I would imagine this is due to the perception that Bristol is full of people of work on farms. This would be untrue.

All we have done is sing a song based on the notion that Leicester as a City has a larger than average populous of Asian immigrants (whether they be of 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th generation). It is not intended by me as racist, in the same way I'm sure they do not mean any harm suggesting I do not have an education and work on a farm.

It's the differences amongst the great people of this land that make us great. Lets celebrate these differences and not worry about a little harmless fun and banter. I am white, English and from Bristol and I am different than a white Englishman from London, Newcastle or Liverpool. I see no harm in having a cheeky laugh at the idiosyncracies of those who are a little different to me, particularly when I mean no malice. That is the difference the PC brigade need to understand these days. If it's malicious then yes, it's derogatory and harmful, but if it is not malicious, it is just a celebration of the differences we embrace in our Country.

Everyone needs to calm down a touch in this Country.

Loads of teams sing engerland at us do we start crying about it no we just give them a globe on the way out and say sorry your actually wrong bristol is in england.

Anyway you have got to love the most flexible word in the English Dictionary BANTER,

"I want to go home because i dont like asians"

"Hey, whats that for"

"Banter aint it"

The word that can get you out of all sorts of trouble

No it's not the same....we live in the UK, where political correctness has gone mad. We are so scared in this country if being deemed racist....people are even scared to call someone "black" nowadays...

The whole John Terry/Anton Ferdinand....prime example. The FA only did what they did as they were Shi@ting themselves about being deemed racist. It was a nothing incident, that one or two blew up into a massive incident.

This country makes me laugh. The only thing that offends me about the "small town in Asia" chant is its crap

Please! Who's scared to call someone black?

There's a bit of a difference between calling someone black, and calling them a "******g black ****". John Terry may be thick enough not to undertsand the difference, but most people do.

Please! Who's scared to call someone black?

There's a bit of a difference between calling someone black, and calling them a "******g black ****". John Terry may be thick enough not to undertsand the difference, but most people do.

Imagine a scenario where John Terry called Ferdinand a "effing ****".

Thats an adjective followed by a noun, the latter of which being a subjective noun, ie Terry's opinion only.

In that scenario, there would have been no further action because its what happens on the football pitch on a regular basis.

Terry allegedly used the above phrase, but preceded it with a factual noun. Which apparently made it racist.

So its not a crime, or at least not a crime which anyone is particularly bothered about, to insult somebody using a term which is open to challenge based on facts and opinions, but it is a crime to accurately describe a physical feature of a person.

That seems to me to follow no logic whatever.

Archived