IGNORED

Small Town In Asia

the frampton balti

'Refreshing'?? Jesus, if that's your idea of refreshment then god help us all. A post that rants at all and sundry and ends with 'Now **** off'?? How refreshing is that.

No point in joining in this debate if the general agreement is that being English enshrines the right to be racist and proud.

Time to get the tin hat out my friend.

My good lady is Welsh and is a Doctor (Medical) and far more intelligent than me ... and I have a degree in Economics from London Uni. So all those morons who slag off the Welsh ... I watch footie and rugby in Swansea pubs and the banter is huge fun. When my Welsh friends come west - or east to them - they comment on how racist Bristol is. We need to grow up - seriously.

My wife is Welsh . I have watch Football in Welsh pubs and the in laws in Bristol Pubs , not much of a differance in my view. However when it comes to Rugby they is some pure hatred that comes out from Wales directed at the English.

I work in Wales quite a bit and visit the inlaws a lot and there is no anti English feeling that I have come across in a day to day dealings.

They save all their venom , hatred and chips on their shoulder once a year when we play them at Rugby and then it's back to normal come Monday morning. I don't have any problem with this if that what they want to do once a year so be it.

'Refreshing'?? Jesus, if that's your idea of refreshment then god help us all. A post that rants at all and sundry and ends with 'Now **** off'?? How refreshing is that.

No point in joining in this debate if the general agreement is that being English enshrines the right to be racist and proud.

Its football banter, take it for what it is, dont read too much politically into it - there is no right or left its a p---s take out of the opposition, there are far worse songs sung every saturday, :grr:

And yet you said AMEN to the poster who said that when someone from Leicester comes on to complain you'll listen! Clearly not then.

I said I'll listen...never said I'd agree. At the end of the day, im not a racist.....but this country is so soft when it comes to Political Correctness....mostly because people are so afraid of being brandished racist.

"your just a small town in Asia..." ....is deemed unacceptable...yet according to some "your just a small town in Wales" or "your welsh and you know you are"...is fine.

I said I'll listen...never said I'd agree. At the end of the day, im not a racist.....but this country is so soft when it comes to Political Correctness....mostly because people are so afraid of being brandished racist.

"your just a small town in Asia..." ....is deemed unacceptable...yet according to some "your just a small town in Wales" or "your welsh and you know you are"...is fine.

I do agree that fussing over the 'small town in Asia' chant is over the top 'political correctness gaaawwwn maaaad' territory, but let us not forget that you only have to go back 25 years or so to see black players having bannanas thrown at them and monkey chants coming from the stands. I personally think that if we've gone too far that's still better than not doing enough

I do agree that fussing over the 'small town in Asia' chant is over the top 'political correctness gaaawwwn maaaad' territory, but let us not forget that you only have to go back 25 years or so to see black players having bannanas thrown at them and monkey chants coming from the stands. I personally think that if we've gone too far that's still better than not doing enough

yeah I agree...but like you said, 25 years ago. I also agree that its better to go to far...then not far enough. I just want consistancy though...people cant moan that "a small town in Asia" is offensive....when on the other side they say that "a small town in Wales" is acceptable.

In this country, your frowned upon or in some cases, deemed racist if you say you feel White British people are treated differently to black / Asian British people. This is open to peoples own opinions and a debate which could rumble on for ages through

Like I said, it will be interesting to see how Rio Ferdinand is dealt with with regards the choc ice comments...

yeah I agree...but like you said, 25 years ago. I also agree that its better to go to far...then not far enough. I just want consistancy though...people cant moan that "a small town in Asia" is offensive....when on the other side they say that "a small town in Wales" is acceptable.

In this country, your frowned upon or in some cases, deemed racist if you say you feel White British people are treated differently to black / Asian British people. This is open to peoples own opinions and a debate which could rumble on for ages through

Like I said, it will be interesting to see how Rio Ferdinand is dealt with with regards the choc ice comments...

Yes, but 25 years isn't that long and I think society has a way to go. I'm sure there are occasions where White British people suffer so-called 'positive' discrimination, but I'd say that in general I'm more privileged as a White man than I would be if my skin was any other colour

I think Rio Ferdinand has already been fined by the FA; he never actually called Cole a 'chic ice' he just ':laugh:'d' it and retweeted. He was also very apologetic straight away, as has been the case with Ashley Cole and his recent rant. Suarez and Terry denied they'd done anything wrong and let's be honest, both their 'defences' were hilarious

But they are different chants. The small town in Wales is a geographic issue - Bristol is just near the Welsh border it doesn't imply that Bristol is full of Welsh sheep shaggers.

A small town in Asia relies on the fact that Leicester has a large asian community and, in fact, whites are now the minority.

A small town in Asia relies on the fact that Leicester has a large asian community and, in fact, whites are now the minority.

A widely quoted urban myth that one. See the population figures here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leicester

It is true that travel to parts of the city and you'd think you were in Karachi on an overcast day.

But they are different chants. The small town in Wales is a geographic issue - Bristol is just near the Welsh border it doesn't imply that Bristol is full of Welsh sheep shaggers.

either way, it could be construde as offensive....but its not. What about Anti Welsh chants? you ever chanted one?

Does "a small town in asia" offend you?

As is pointed out, one is about a shift in culture in the area, the other is about geographical location. Racist or otherwise, there is an obvious and discernible difference.

The argument of "If you're/they're not offended so it must be fine" argument is also incredibly short sighted and ignorant, but then it doesn't look out of place with a lot of the right wing bullshit in this thread.

As is pointed out, one is about a shift in culture in the area, the other is about geographical location. Racist or otherwise, there is an obvious and discernible difference.

The argument of "If you're/they're not offended so it must be fine" argument is also incredibly short sighted and ignorant, but then it doesn't look out of place with a lot of the right wing bullshit in this thread.

We could debate it all day, but each to their own. Personally, I think if you get offended by "a small town in asia" chant...then thats pathetic. Its not as if they are chanting "you dirty asian bastards" or something like that, which for me, IS racist, and should carry severe punishments.

I personally feel, that in this country, we tread on egg shells when it comes to political correctness

We could debate it all day, but each to their own. Personally, I think if you get offended by "a small town in asia" chant...then thats pathetic. Its not as if they are chanting "you dirty asian bastards" or something like that, which for me, IS racist, and should carry severe punishments.

I personally feel, that in this country, we tread on egg shells when it comes to political correctness

Yes but it's the connotation Andy. You're obviously an intelligent guy, surely you can see that.

Lets consider this

The wales referred to is a nation of people who do not desire or intend to be english. Welsh people will not be offended as there is an ancient riualry both politically , culturally and, significantly, in sporting euents

The English might be offended .....but thats the whole idea..... they dont want to be considered welsh!

Now 'small town in asia'.

The asia referred to represents asian people generally, the majority of whom are english by nationality or intend or desire to be. They may be offended by the implication that they are not which is particularly accentuated by further chants of ' engerland engerland '

Some non asian english might be offended but thats the whole point.

So yes it is different

Although not particularly offensiue just ignorant unimaginatiue and not really hitting the target without collateral damage!

neither something i like to be associated in connection with bcfc or my own national pride!!!

Not worse in my opinion. If I'm allowed that opinion - one does wonder on this forum.

You are allowed an opinion but songs about fans being killed and the like are offensive and hurtful just as racist chants are but you are saying if I'm correct that racist songs are far worse than songs about 96 innocent people being crushed to death and this by inferring this Dave you seem to saying that songs about Hillsbrough etc are not that bad .

My view is if something is wrong it's wrong , calling someone a black (insert a swear word) it wrong offensive and nasty there is no grey areae I think we can all agree however a chant like a small town in Asia may well be sung in a racist way but it may also be view as banter I think it comes down to the motive of that person and in which circumstance it's being sung . My view is that this song have crossed the line because it was meant to offend.

I was in South Africa watching England play Pakistan at cricket about 10 years ago we were in a group of England sat with Pakistan fans and there was lots banter and one of the songs the England's fans sang that day was " where's you Taliban " to the tune of "where you daddy gone" but on this day in that situation everyone was laughing and the Pakistanie fans join in with the humour and we all had a great day watching the Cricket on other day in different circumstances that song would have not been a joke and he could easily been sang just to offend . So we do have to understand the motives and contents of what is being sung.

Lets consider this

The wales referred to is a nation of people who do not desire or intend to be english. Welsh people will not be offended as there is an ancient riualry both politically , culturally and, significantly, in sporting euents

The English might be offended .....but thats the whole idea..... they dont want to be considered welsh!

The asia referred to represents asian people generally, the majority of whom are english by nationality or intend or desire to be. They may be offended by the implication that they are not which is particularly accentuated by further chants of ' engerland engerland '

Good points well made....

....however you say the majority of asians intend or desire to be english by nationality.

If you are correct in that statement, does that not mean that, if there is any insult, as opposed to banter, intended in "small town in asia", that the asians themselves must go along with it, in that they'd rather be english than asian?

Yup, not all Asians though. It's got a big black and Polish population too.

Friendly folk though. You can still get a good night out and a very decent curry and have change out of a twenty there too!

You are confusing Liecester with 1985 Red Robbo

Lets consider this

Some non asian english might be offended but thats the whole point.

So yes it is different

Although not particularly offensiue just ignorant unimaginatiue and not really hitting the target without collateral damage!

neither something i like to be associated in connection with bcfc or my own national pride!!!

Your bottom two lines I agree with. I think the small town in Asia song is crap, its unimaginitive and I don't think it's appropriate....but I still don't think it's racist. I wouldn't sing it myself....I don't like us to sing it, just because for me, it shows a complete lack of class and intelligence.

I still think this country in many ways is soft when it comes to these subjects ......

Archived