IGNORED

We're Going Down And It's All Lansdowns Fault!

Danny P

Exactly, I cringe reading this thread,without SL we would probably be down with the Gas fighting to stay in the league.

We wouldn't be a Championship club on our gates alone,we would not survive nowadays.

People should stop for one moment and actually think how much money we have spent on players over the last 10 years, it's a massive amount.

He ALWAYS backs the manager with money.

Think about it,I bet there aren't many clubs in the Championship who have spent more than us this season on players ?

T

Back where we were before and what? We used to win games lose games but there was still an atmosphere in the ground home and away! The club is dying and people like you stick up for the ridiculous decisions he has made that has put us in the place we are now!

Oh I've got a big backbone sonny, I've had to use it for the 35 years I've been watching this shite, I just know where we would be without his money.

No Bill, you don't. If Lansdown wasn't in charge, it'd be someone else. Maybe better, maybe worse but one things for sure, you have no more idea than anyone else on here.

Oh I've got a big backbone sonny, I've had to use it for the 35 years I've been watching this shite, I just know where we would be without his money.

The thing is though, in a few months we could be exactly where we were when he took over! After all the money he spent, he's just taken us around a big circle. I do appreciate his work and I understand he had aims and plans for this club but it's not working out to well right now so maybe he needs to change his way of doing things? I'd like to see him appoint a 'football person' at a higher level than team manager so we'd have a bit of football knowledge higher up in the club.

so Where is he supposed to make the money? Without getting promoted we wouldn't really earn much more. And to get promoted we'd have to spend a lot. Goes wrong. Business in a bad way. Too big a risk to be a GOOD or SENSIBLE business plan

You cannot take business models into football. you either chuck money at it properly or don't. No point going in half arsed, all or nothing

You cannot take business models into football. you either chuck money at it properly or don't. No point going in half arsed, all or nothing

Lord Alan Sugar said words to that effect when he was Chairman at Spurs. He said it was like a prune juice effect at Spurs with money from TV and gate receipts going into Spurs and straight out of the club again and into the players' wage packets. You become Chairman of a football club for the love of it, I don't know of any realistic football Chairman in the football league that expects a return on his money or work time invested. Harry Dolman had the right attitude at this club and perhaps that was because he was a Londoner - be Chairman for your love of football and for your club.

No Bill, you don't. If Lansdown wasn't in charge, it'd be someone else. Maybe better, maybe worse but one things for sure, you have no more idea than anyone else on here.

Who else? A club with a loyal fan base of 11-12k.

Your right though, I haven't got a clue where we would be, but it's a forum where we voice our opinion and mine is that we wouldn't be in the Championship.

Lord Alan Sugar said words to that effect when he was Chairman at Spurs. He said it was like a prune juice effect at Spurs with money from TV and gate receipts going into Spurs and straight out of the club again and into the players' wage packets. You become Chairman of a football club for the love of it, I don't know of any realistic football Chairman in the football league that expects a return on his money or work time invested. Harry Dolman had the right attitude at this club and perhaps that was because he was a Londoner - be Chairman for your love of football and for your club.

Not completely so, I think I saw a programme on tv awhile back about football club chairmen. Wigan's chairman particularly does things old school and relies almost purely on return to fund the club. Which is why they mostly tow the line at the bottom half of the Premier League table usually.

Are you for real???

Of course not,your just imagining me.

If you want to know what SL is up to then contact him yourself.

Write a letter to him with all your questions.

What I wrote in my post is my opinion,I don't give a flying fudge if you agree with me or not.

But don't get in my face with *******n this and ******n that, and then expect me to be civil back to you.

Sorry I just dont agree with this post

What I do agree with is that the Club has seriously missed Stephen Lansdowns personal input and energy. All of those who have taken over 'his' post havent been up to the job and the club has lost the connection between the Manager and Chairman (and Fans) which is essential.

Gary Johnson and Lansdown had that relationship but it hasnt happened since.

The club appears to be drifting without anyone in charge.

Having said that you can't do everything in life and you have to delegate.

The problem is that we have a perfect storm of an inept Manager, Clueless directors and unmotivated players.

Steve, please get back involved.

What I do agree with is that the Club has seriously missed Stephen Lansdowns personal input and energy. All of those who have taken over 'his' post havent been up to the job and the club has lost the connection between the Manager and Chairman (and Fans) which is essential.

The problem is that we have a perfect storm of an inept Manager, Clueless directors and unmotivated players.

Absolutely agree, I have no idea who is running the show since Sexstone stood down, is it his son? There has been no press from the directors probably since Sexstone made that announcement.

Absolutely agree, I have no idea who is running the show since Sexstone stood down, is it his son? There has been no press from the directors probably since Sexstone made that announcement.

Absolutely agree, I have no idea who is running the circus since Sexstone stood down. is it his son? There has been no press from the directors probably since Sexstone made that announcement.

Back where we were before and what? We used to win games lose games but there was still an atmosphere in the ground home and away! The club is dying and people like you stick up for the ridiculous decisions he has made that has put us in the place we are now!

Yeah the championship

The atmosphere has nothing to do with SL

The fact is we only sing when we are winning.

Part time fans jump on the band wagon when we went up and will leave if we go down

If we go down to Div1 we will only have the hard core fans left. We should be near the top of the league winning games

This will improve the atmosphere

Can't see what SL has done wrongh, bankrolling the club to the tune of a couple of million each year, backing managers in purchases, and setting a realistic wage cap. Hardly his fault that managers keep chucking the money away buying mediocre rubbish.

I think the first one means the second one is unavoidable thus where we are in the table.

With FFP coming in as well which is going to be the death of this club, and with out spending some serious dosh (THIS JAN BEFORE FFP COMES IN) on 2 very important issues i.e. a defence and a midfield I can only see a oneway ticket back to L1 I'm afraid!

Yeah the championship

The atmosphere has nothing to do with SL

The fact is we only sing when we are winning.

Part time fans jump on the band wagon when we went up and will leave if we go down

If we go down to Div1 we will only have the hard core fans left. We should be near the top of the league winning games

This will improve the atmosphere

I'm not a part time fan, I've been going since the mid sixties, had a season ticket for donkeys years but I wont be going to watch any lower league football again if we get relegated. When teams climb the leagues they acquire more fans, it happens to every team, when they drop down they lose fans, it happens everywhere.

Especially when you live in a tax haven.

You can claim that there is never a new government, no elections, no new tv shows - anything if you do not actually look - but for those that don't go through life with their eyes closed though http://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/topic/149877-jon-lansdown-speaks/

Whether or not the players should take the blame is frankly irrelevant - they are employees - like other employees they will move to better jobs with other employers if they are available and they will take any job they can get if their employment is terminated - they do not need to love their employer any more than the rest of us.

I do not love my employer - I do what I am contracted to do and I get paid for it - when I am given work that I am comfortable and confident to do I am happy and my employer makes money - when I am given work which I cannot do or which seems to be no point my drive and motivation fail me, I do not perform as well and my employer makes less money. Regardless of what I think of my employer I always enjoy success and never enjoy failure but this does not mean that I never fail. I can see no reason why I should expect a professional footballer to be any different (although they do seem to be paid pretty well!)

Unless anyone knows different - it is a vital (probably the most vital) part of DM's role to give the players motivation, self-belief and the tools they need to succeed - other managers have managed this with most of these players and other managers will do so again with most of these players - whether at this club or another. In his 13 months in post SM has somehow managed to deliver the odd surprising performance - notably last weekend at Middlesborough. There was no sign that they were lazy, lacked self-belief or didn't care - but just like last Christmas at Southampton and in August at Ashton Gate the upturn didn't last the week. He is plainly failing to deliver on the most vital part of his role. Will he learn how to do better? Who knows? Will it be in Bristol? It is beginning to seem unlikely.

Regardless of whether players take blame - like any other walk of life the guy who supervises them is responsible for their successes and their failures.

Similarly the Board (and the Chairman) are responsible to the Shareholders for the performance of the business - if it fails they carry the can - in proposing a vote of no confidence a shareholder is not required to explain how he would have done a better job - he will simply explain why he has no confidence.

Throughout the World the best run companies of any size have a clear distinction between the Board of Directors and the Owners - this is good governance. A majority shareholder acting as Chairman removes this healthy tension completely. There is no doubt in my mind that SL as majority shareholder would have been very quick to express his loss of confidence in SL as chairman had they not been the same person. Little hope of improvement now with the second largest shareholder acting as Chairman and the largest shareholder's son effectively his number two. SL knows as well as I do this is no way to run a business.

Can the Board or SL be forgiven for appointing Coppell or McInnes? - of course - but this does not mean that either appointment was correct or that they are somehow not responsible for the results.

If (as seems almost inevitable) we return to the 3rd division next summer SL (together with KD) will have spend upwards of £50M of their own money giving us a few seasons in the Championship and notably a season or two when we could dream of more - for this he/they deserve thanks.

The crime will be that having spend his first two or three seasons at the helm putting the business on a sound financial footing - SL has allowed his excitement to get the better of him and we will be going back to square one with an eight-digit annual deficit meaning that if/when SL/KD lose their appetite for throwing good money after bad there might be no-one around with deep enough pockets to rescue the club from the Administrator.

If we want the club to still be here in ten years time - we better face up to this

I'm not a part time fan, I've been going since the mid sixties, had a season ticket for donkeys years but I wont be going to watch any lower league football again if we get relegated. When teams climb the leagues they acquire more fans, it happens to every team, when they drop down they lose fans, it happens everywhere.

If thats your case fine

My post wasnt aimed at you or similar fans to you

What is the ******* point in having a rich owner if all he does is hide away and do nothing! Every other club that has a rich owner does well, us well we all know what happens there!

I'm sorry but I'd rather be back in league one watching my club win games than watching this shite in the championship, me and about 7 of my friends left after 20 mins today and were all season ticket holders.

The owner has to be accountable in this as all but one of his managerial appointments have been dire and on the cheap, del has to go now with Skuse and Carey and lets start afresh, if that means league one then so be it cos we blatantly can't cut it at this level anymore. I will buy a season ticket in league one because I love this club but watching us die in the championship just hurts especially when we have a big money owner that doesn't spend!

I still say the January transfer window in the play off season was our chance and Steve did nothing, this club is going down and no amount of clapping will save us. It's about time we fought for our club, forget the stadium because the club matters more and always will and we fans deserve a bit more than this!

Under the terms of your arguement there is a flaw. Gary Johnson did nothing, Lansdown wouldnt do anything unless JOHNSON wanted anyone. The dismal mess we are in now was started by Johnson, ably aided and abetted by Coppell, Millen & McInnes. Steve Lansdown bears responsibility certainly...but ultimately the manager, and the ****** shambles which purports to be the "team" take the main blame. the spine of this shambles is still Johnson's...

What is the ******* point in having a rich owner if all he does is hide away and do nothing! Every other club that has a rich owner does well, us well we all know what happens there!

I'm sorry but I'd rather be back in league one watching my club win games than watching this shite in the championship, me and about 7 of my friends left after 20 mins today and were all season ticket holders.

The owner has to be accountable in this as all but one of his managerial appointments have been dire and on the cheap, del has to go now with Skuse and Carey and lets start afresh, if that means league one then so be it cos we blatantly can't cut it at this level anymore. I will buy a season ticket in league one because I love this club but watching us die in the championship just hurts especially when we have a big money owner that doesn't spend!

I still say the January transfer window in the play off season was our chance and Steve did nothing, this club is going down and no amount of clapping will save us. It's about time we fought for our club, forget the stadium because the club matters more and always will and we fans deserve a bit more than this!

continuity, sustainability, stability, a long term plan.

1st priority has to be the existence of our football club.

Whilst in the past SL wasn't acting sustainably but he is now. The restructure of the academy/youth is very positive and if we end up in league 1 so what, we'll be back (eventually).

SL got us where we are now, he deserves as long as he wants to make it work long term.

You can't knock his commitment to the cause ref the new stadium.

I was contemplating suggesting you should be banned from this forum - I won't, I'll just say you are categorically incorrect and almost out-of-order.

Start believing.

Archived