IGNORED

Food At The Ground - Your Chance

Fiale

In all honesty I don't think I'd eat in the ground because the food never has been great, I always grabbed a bag of chips from a chippy and ate them on the way to the ground and then ate when I went home.

I think the only thing that would change my mind about buying at the ground would be for them to do proper chip shop style chips and not charge me a fortune for a handful of them.

That's OK if you're coming from the Bemmy end. Not so easy if you're coming across from the Hotwells side. It's what I do when I go down, though. I'm just baffled as to why the club doesn't see the potential for pleasing the fans AND making a wodge of money.

The Gas manage to do it - it can't be that difficult!

Local real ales such as butcombe's or Doom Bar...Local Ciders such as Thatcher's and good local pies and pasties would be very welcome and at reasonable prices please!! Love a nice Pieminister pie...out of interest how much are they from local outlets, they charge £3.30 for a small one in my local co-op!!

That's OK if you're coming from the Bemmy end. Not so easy if you're coming across from the Hotwells side. It's what I do when I go down, though. I'm just baffled as to why the club doesn't see the potential for pleasing the fans AND making a wodge of money.

The Gas manage to do it - it can't be that difficult!

Yeah I understand it doesn't work for everyone but I suppose what I'm saying is why would anyone in their right mind eat crap food at twice the price a chippy will charge? I'd gladly buy in the ground if I didn't know I was getting crap food for twice to four times what I should be paying for it. Bristol City as a club just don't have a clue what the fans want or what good value for money is. I actually prefer watching Ice Hockey these days, the quality of hockey compared to football may be lower but it's far more entertaining than watching Bristol City right now, cheaper and I can get better food.

Local real ales such as butcombe's or Doom Bar...Local Ciders such as Thatcher's and good local pies and pasties would be very welcome and at reasonable prices please!! Love a nice Pieminister pie...out of interest how much are they from local outlets, they charge £3.30 for a small one in my local co-op!!

Sounds good, although Doombar isn't local.

I think that the biggest problem this season is how the club made such an emphasis on how the concourses within the ground had been refurbished when they haven't. In the Williams, where I hold my season ticket, the televisions never work and all that has changed is a few new signs have been put up and the quality of food drastically decreased (would never touch an Ashton Gate burger, now even the pies are crap).

Everything seems like it has been done not just on the cheap but on a tighter budget than school dinners and frankly it just isn't good enough. I visited Aggborough (Kidderminster Harriers Fc) on new years day. Their menu included:

Burgers

Hot Dogs

Pies (Pastry)

Sausage Rolls

As WELL AS

Cottage and Sheperds Pie

Chicken / Vegetable Curry

Chicken Chow Mein

Sandwiches/ baguettes

No meal was any more than £4 either.

This was all available at a NON LEAGUE club, from their outlets in the stand.

This really does make City look pathetic if a barely professional club can provide this quality of match day food and we struggle to even hold enough sausage rolls to satisfy demand.

Oh and my last gripe, GET ALL THE SHUTTERS OPEN IN THE WILLIAMS CONCOURSE - STOP TRYING TO RUN THE PLACE DOWN. I don't care if the staff are cold, they should wear more clothes just like we have to on a cold match day. Walking through the turnstiles to a closed shop just looks shit. Come on City, you know you can do better!

John, as I said in my blog, quoted above: 'Direct supporter feedback to those who make the decisions will result in changes'. Those who make those decisions will be there on Saturday. It's an ideal opportunity for supporters to tell those who are responsible for the catering exactly what you think.
For what it is worth, I think the current pies are fantastic. I always buy a pie and bovril at every match I go to, and the ones currently available at AG are up there amongst the best in the FLC. They are expensive, but they are better quality than 90% of grounds, especially the Chicken balti ones with the spice infused pastry and in my opinion they are worth it. I would like DL to pass on my compliments to Lindley.

Cardiff fans have the same problem as we do.. http://www.clarkspies.co.uk/culture.htm

Why can't we just get the local greggs to supply catering at ashton gate? They do some nice rolls, I don't know if the club do any rolls at the moment, haven't see any around. Perhaps they could give it a try and see how it goes. http://www.greggs.co.uk/

I notice some of the local pubs sell rolls, like ham, cheese etc etc they seem to sell quite a few.

Let's be clear about the process of contracting out catering. The club chooses a contractor and he sets two parameters; the prices to be charged and the quality of the food to be provided.

I'm sure that Lindley can provide perfectly decent food. I'm sure it does in the prawn-munching areas. That's not what the club specifies for the proles. It specifies the maximum profit margin, which means the highest prices at which people will still buy and the lowest quality that people will tolerate.

Given a captive audience, that price can be pretty high and the quality pretty low. Given that those who specify the criteria don't have to pay for or eat the stuff, it's not going to change any time soon :(

The fare on offer in the prawn munching areas is crap, the only difference being the price, lindley are a joke outfit

The fare on offer in the prawn munching areas is crap, the only difference being the price, lindley are a joke outfit

Ah, well, at least that's one consolation ;)

Edit: and thinking about it, dodgy prawns are far more dangerous than dodgy pies :death:

Isn't the solution to crap catering to just eat and drink in one of the many dozens of bars pubs cafes take-aways and restaurants in bs3 before the game, then just return to those same establishments afterwards? Or is 2 hours too long?

Isn't the solution to crap catering to just eat and drink in one of the many dozens of bars pubs cafes take-aways and restaurants in bs3 before the game, then just return to those same establishments afterwards? Or is 2 hours too long?

Good point, taken in good heart, but we are talking about watching city, i have been known to knaw the back off of seats in front of me, soon stopped when the teams came out tho !!

I'm not a big connoisseur of the AG eateries. I've had a pie occasional and always have a cup of tea with the normal choccie.

The standard is generally "OK". Nothing good; nothing awful.

The price is "staggering". Not pricey; not expensive; staggering.

My biggest complaint though is the 12-year old innumerates who staff the booths. They are generally friendly enough but they couldn't be slower if they had no arms.

I'm not a big connoisseur of the AG eateries. I've had a pie occasional and always have a cup of tea with the normal choccie.

The standard is generally "OK". Nothing good; nothing awful.

The price is "staggering". Not pricey; not expensive; staggering.

My biggest complaint though is the 12-year old innumerates who staff the booths. They are generally friendly enough but they couldn't be slower if they had no arms.

Impressive, aren't they? When you think that they're employed by a company that takes its income from their ability to sell things in a limited time, you do begin to wonder just a little.

Mind you, if the food was reasonably priced, the demand might be such that they couldn't keep up, so maybe it's all for the best ;)

Impressive, aren't they? When you think that they're employed by a company that takes its income from their ability to sell things in a limited time, you do begin to wonder just a little.

Mind you, if the food was reasonably priced, the demand might be such that they couldn't keep up, so maybe it's all for the best ;)

All worthy of any wetherspoons outlet

Archived