IGNORED

Food At The Ground - Your Chance

Fiale

I buy food at ground, me and son travel down from Manchester for home games. He usually finishes football on a Saturday by 11, so by 11.30 were in car to go to the game. By time find a parking space and get to ground usually just as game ko so son is hungry as am I so want something to eat and drink.

As I've said before the prices the club charge are dearer than a motorway service station, and if what's been written and the club get a % of the sales can't see them putting the prices down in a hurry.

Blackburn on Saturday sold better quality food and drink quite a bit cheaper so it can be done.

Dave, I think many, me included simply don't believe for one second that anything positive in terms of changes to the quality of food or alcohol prices will happen. We've been down this road before with zero outcome and it looks like nothing more than a paper exercise.

Surely Lindley's are aware of how unhappy fans are with their service. Moans and complaints about the crap overpriced food and alcohol have been around since they took over. They've not acted before so why should they act now?

Dave Lloyd - I agree with Robbored.

The food has been poor and overpriced for many years. we all know this, If you have been in your role for 5 (or 6 is it ) years you surely should be aware of complaints, there's something on this forum at least everyweek. Have you never spoken to any fans about this in all those 5 years?

Action is needed, not an "opportunity" to speak to Mr Smith (I don't know who he is, or what he looks like), similarly Lindleys, will they do anything meaningful?

Lindleys will tweak their offerings , and make a few minor changes and you can write a blog about it and say the club are listening but in 12 months time pies will still be over £3, and still be of poor quality, and people like me will still not buy them.

Whilst you're reading - (I hope) - I have noted your blogs championing your riding on the coach and actually sitting with the fans at Blackburn and your impending venture into a pub near BS3 some time soon and would make the following observations:

1) Your comment of " it was really useful to be reminded of how the average fan sees a game." was one of the most patronising things I have ever read.....and

2) As Supporters Liaison Officer for the last 5 years should you not have actually been doing all this coach/fans/pub thing long before now and actually have been -er Liaising? What took you so long to get out of the comfort zone and find out what's really going on?

regards A (very) Average Fan

The Problem really is very basic and they shouldn't need the fans to tell them this; high prices are only acceptable if the quality is high.

it really is that simple.

the high prices for the poor food really is reflective of the club, they know that they offer the only chance to get hot food and are willing to take advantage of that. - if you need proof of this, would the company that provides food charge anywhere near what they do at the gate if they were distributing in say cabot circus? no.

understandable in the sense that in a league with relatively low media attention, the fans are the dominant consumer. however it's ignorant of the fact that the club needs the fans just as much as the fans need the club.

The Problem really is very basic and they shouldn't need the fans to tell them this; high prices are only acceptable if the quality is high.

it really is that simple.

the high prices for the poor food really is reflective of the club, they know that they offer the only chance to get hot food and are willing to take advantage of that. - if you need proof of this, would the company that provides food charge anywhere near what they do at the gate if they were distributing in say cabot circus? no.

understandable in the sense that in a league with relatively low media attention, the fans are the dominant consumer. however it's ignorant of the fact that the club needs the fans just as much as the fans need the club.

I think you will find the attitude is that "the club needs the fans' money just as much as the fans need the club."

I wouldn't mind paying slightly over the odds for decent food. Catering at football matches always has an element of risk - think about the three o'clock monsoon recently.

What gets up my nose, literally, is the stink of fourth-rate food sold at premium prices by incompetent staff.

Charge over the odds for Pieminster or Proper Cornish and I will buy. I'll complain, as some here may have noticed ;) but I'll buy. Charge over the odds for the current rubbish and I'll bring my own crisps and biscuits. Just how many Kit-Kat Chunkies can I get in one cagoule, I wonder?

I can see the club's next move as banning from the stands all food and drink not bought in the club shops. Do they still ban plastic bottles but allow those silly little overpriced squashed packets of Lucozade?

Horace recommends candied slugs, but I gracefully decline - he might enjoy Lindley's hotdogs, though.

I can see the club's next move as banning from the stands all food and drink not bought in the club shops. Do they still ban plastic bottles but allow those silly little overpriced squashed packets of Lucozade?

This wouldn't surprise me at all, A lot of people have also stated how they can buy Clark's pies at half the AG price from a certain

"outlet" .....It wouldn't be surprising if this outlet got moved on .......on some spurious H & S grounds, like the pavement being blocked or residents "complaints"

The clear answer is to give us "customers" what we want but the terms of the agreement with Lindleys will prevent this.

They are here for the money only and won't reduce prices or up the quality of food (as this means less profit) , they will pretend to listen and throw out a few offers (like the ST free food vouchers that wern't free!) but nothing much will change.

The only choice is to take it or leave it - I leave it

Dave Lloyd - I agree with Robbored.

The food has been poor and overpriced for many years. we all know this, If you have been in your role for 5 (or 6 is it ) years you surely should be aware of complaints, there's something on this forum at least everyweek. Have you never spoken to any fans about this in all those 5 years?

Action is needed, not an "opportunity" to speak to Mr Smith (I don't know who he is, or what he looks like), similarly Lindleys, will they do anything meaningful?

Lindleys will tweak their offerings , and make a few minor changes and you can write a blog about it and say the club are listening but in 12 months time pies will still be over £3, and still be of poor quality, and people like me will still not buy them.

Whilst you're reading - (I hope) - I have noted your blogs championing your riding on the coach and actually sitting with the fans at Blackburn and your impending venture into a pub near BS3 some time soon and would make the following observations:

1) Your comment of " it was really useful to be reminded of how the average fan sees a game." was one of the most patronising things I have ever read.....and

2) As Supporters Liaison Officer for the last 5 years should you not have actually been doing all this coach/fans/pub thing long before now and actually have been -er Liaising? What took you so long to get out of the comfort zone and find out what's really going on?

regards A (very) Average Fan

Well he has done all this in the past - but the problem with his role is that match day is also his busiest day making it hard to do. From what DL has said in the past he has found himself overtime doing more and more on match day and bit by bit lost contact with most fans matchday experience. When things happen over a long period gradually it's easy to not notice what is happening.

There is no reason why you should know what MR Smith of Lindleys looks like, no more than you would know the head of the cleaning company, stewards, Medics - but if there were problems with fans perception of any of those things and the club said ok - here is your chance to meet them and voice your concerns then that should be considered a good thing "Action is needed, not an "opportunity" to speak to Mr Smith (I don't know who he is, or what he looks like), similarly Lindleys, will they do anything meaningful?" meet him, have your say and see what happens - if nothing does then ok - complain, but complaining that someone is trying to get feedback when people are complaining is puerile.

As for "Your comment of " it was really useful to be reminded of how the average fan sees a game." was one of the most patronising things I have ever read." Really ? I am pretty sure most of the people would not consider themselves unique in their support / or think themselves super fans - just fans going about supporting the club they love in the best way they can.... why do you feel patronised - do you consider yourself to better than the average fan and want that acknowledged ?

Well he has done all this in the past - but the problem with his role is that match day is also his busiest day making it hard to do. From what DL has said in the past he has found himself overtime doing more and more on match day and bit by bit lost contact with most fans matchday experience. When things happen over a long period gradually it's easy to not notice what is happening.

There is no reason why you should know what MR Smith of Lindleys looks like, no more than you would know the head of the cleaning company, stewards, Medics - but if there were problems with fans perception of any of those things and the club said ok - here is your chance to meet them and voice your concerns then that should be considered a good thing "Action is needed, not an "opportunity" to speak to Mr Smith (I don't know who he is, or what he looks like), similarly Lindleys, will they do anything meaningful?" meet him, have your say and see what happens - if nothing does then ok - complain, but complaining that someone is trying to get feedback when people are complaining is puerile.

As for "Your comment of " it was really useful to be reminded of how the average fan sees a game." was one of the most patronising things I have ever read." Really ? I am pretty sure most of the people would not consider themselves unique in their support / or think themselves super fans - just fans going about supporting the club they love in the best way they can.... why do you feel patronised - do you consider yourself to better than the average fan and want that acknowledged ?

Are you Dave Lloyd? You sound like him

Why is Dave Lloyd (the Fans Liaison Officer) so "busy" that he can't actually Liaise with the fans.

He is the match day announcer, but to my knowledge that role doesn't extend to away games .

It's taken 5 years to get around to engaging directly with fans.

His comment was patronising, I'm an ordinary (or average in Davespeak) fan , nothing wrong with that but the whole tone of Dave's

report of the Blackburn trip was one of lowering himself to our level for the day

There is a pie company on the clubs doorstep but they don't use them.

If the club is serious about its work in the community, surely this is a good place to start. Clark's pies are good, honest, local.

I've never eaten at any footie ground bar the new Wembley (no choice - had to eat there) but by all accounts our food is not unusual in being disgusting and over priced.

Seriously, though, it's not difficult to manage something decent one day a week. They need a focused range based on users' (that's us, BTW) preferences. And a decent cup of tea. And quick service. And reasonable prices - no-one's expecting Tesco deals but don't take the p155.

to be fair, although I dont necessarily see it as patronising myself, it is quite easy to see how it can be seen as such.

It's just a badly worded line, "reminded of how the average fan sees a game" implies that he is more than an average fan. or to some degree more important. This elevation and tacit heirachy where by supporters as seen to be lower than others at the club needs to go. or at the very least, needs to stop being hinted at, such as this line. simply re-wording it could have solved the problem.

Havent read the entire thread so apologies if this has been mentioned already! One thing that needs to be improved is the speed of service in regards to alcohol.

At most grounds they have an option of large plastic bottled lager, which they can chuck out at high speed! Not everyones cuppa but personally I want a quick drink at half time, not queing for 10 mins and having to down a pint in 5 mins before kick off. One section at the bar could sell only the oversized bottles of lager & cider & everyone can be watered during the interval. Im surpised the club has not stocked these already as virtually every club around the country seems too.

I think I remeber Swanseas new ground pouring pints using a quick new system that pours in seconds, good in theory but you ended up with a freezing pint of froth that you had to leave for 10 mins to subside!

Food wise - I havent had any comlaints really. I think the club should look to sell local products as I think they would be more popular. You cant go far wrong with Clarks Pies....

Oh and for the record, to solve the overall problem quickly and with little hassle. Just get the people who cater for Rovers/Bristol Rugby.

Great idea. Although maybe this wouldn't bring in enough revenue for the club - that is why we go down to the Gate, isn't it?

Are you Dave Lloyd? You sound like him

Why is Dave Lloyd (the Fans Liaison Officer) so "busy" that he can't actually Liaise with the fans.

He is the match day announcer, but to my knowledge that role doesn't extend to away games .

It's taken 5 years to get around to engaging directly with fans.

His comment was patronising, I'm an ordinary (or average in Davespeak) fan , nothing wrong with that but the whole tone of Dave's

report of the Blackburn trip was one of lowering himself to our level for the day

Are you Dave Lloyd? You sound like him Seriously - if you want to debate fine, but why lower yourself to such silly remarks - surely your above that !?

Why is Dave Lloyd (the Fans Liaison Officer) so "busy" that he can't actually Liaise with the fans. He does liaise with fans, you can see from his blogs / fan meetings etc, what he hasn't done much of lately is meet fans in pubs/fans in the stands on match days because he is tied up doing other things - he used to do this stuff, whether it's mission creep from his job slowly pushing those chances out - i don't know, but just because he does not stand/sit next to you on match days does not mean he has not been liaising - just that the style/format has changed over the years - and he has communicated he wished to change that - something I would have thought people would want / commend.

It's taken 5 years to get around to engaging directly with fans. That's not true and disingenuous to say (see above).

His comment was patronising, I'm an ordinary (or average in Davespeak) fan , nothing wrong with that the whole tone of Dave's

report of the Blackburn trip was one of lowering himself to our level for the day So you have no problem with the word average (your first post seemed to show you took exception to this common use of the word.). Your problem is that you think, he thinks himself better than other fans, and therefore was lowering himself to normal fan status. I did not read it like that - he does not come over as someone lording his status at the club over us plebs and having to "lower" his experience/activities to engage with the common man..... I think maybe it says more about others insecurities that his actions if you feel that way.

I agree with others on here about the Natch, bring the price down to a realistic level and you'll sell so much more. Over three quid for something worth a pound a can is taking the piss.

As for food what about jacket potatoes with a choice of fillings? Cheap and easy to make, relatively nutritious and can be kept warm in the ovens already there.

I agree with others on here about the Natch, bring the price down to a realistic level and you'll sell so much more. Over three quid for something worth a pound a can is taking the piss.

As for food what about jacket potatoes with a choice of fillings? Cheap and easy to make, relatively nutritious and can be kept warm in the ovens already there.

Bu99er to eat with your fingers and a pint in t'other hand, though.

Several years back when I first took over as Chairman of the Supporters club ( as was ) I approached Lindley's because there were so many complaints from fans about the catering.

I made an appointment with a senior Lindley's manager and passed on the various complaints and her attitude was simply appalling. She was very defensive with the cost complaints saying that Lindley's charged the same prices in all of their outlet and mentioned the Hawthorns as one of them and therefore there was nothing different about the pricing at AG.

Her response to complaints about the quality was also very dismissive. I remember her saying '' its catering on a huge scale'' as if that were some kind of justification to serve crap. She also mentioned that they had no complaints from the Baggies fans.

All in all it was a waste of my time. She basically didn't want to know and nothing has changed since.

I got bored of reading halfway through page two - apologies if I miss points/repeat already made points!

Blackburn on Saturday sold better quality food and drink quite a bit cheaper so it can be done.

I have only ever been ill after eating a pie at football twice; once at Plymouth and once at Blackburn - that was in the space of a week 2 years ago(?) when I joined a brum fan up there.

Which leads nicely into my point, having only discovered we do Meat & Potato pies recently, I had one at the (could have been the watford game) and it was one of the best I've had at football. I travel from Birmingham and I'm one of those people that gets itchy feet about leaving, and I don't eat till late so I've got used to accounting to eat at the ground and have done for a long time. Some days the food has been awful - burnt, nuclear hot, under cooked, cold, etc. but more often than not, over the years - its been ok (barring cooking issues) for example the one I had at Blackburn tasted like it had been pickled, very acidic. Assuming this isn't the case week in week out! I guess the quality of your individual 'meal' is down to luck some of the time.

Some places, I've been and enjoyed the pie I've eaten remembering it for my next trip ... Barnsley changed their caterers a couple of years ago and I was annoyed. They sacrificed quality and kept prices high.

The food is no longer of bad quality, from my travels over all streches of the country eating at 95% of the games i've been to City are now in the top 20% IMO for quality.

Price is and always will be an issue. It would be good to see prices lowered, if this means sacrificing some of the quality (or risking sacrificing it) then so be it. On this occassion the club should look out for it's fans - request lower sales prices, if you want to look at raising income, do it elsewhere please, we are already a captive customer base (Clubs are much like the kid that sold sweets at school) - the customers have no other option once they're in there. I like a pie, but value for money would probably mean I have a bit more to spend on 'that' away game I'll duck out of for financial reasons every so often.

For the pies (based on the rest of the league)

Quality - 90-92/100 (Up there with Port Vale, Rochdale & Bury)

Price - 10-15/100

Value for money - 30/100

The burgers aren't too shabby from what I've eaten.

& for the record, having eated pies, fast food and crap etc. for years at football, those of you that know me will know it hasn't affected me; it's not always about your diet when you're adding to the waistline.

In all honesty I don't think I'd eat in the ground because the food never has been great, I always grabbed a bag of chips from a chippy and ate them on the way to the ground and then ate when I went home.

I think the only thing that would change my mind about buying at the ground would be for them to do proper chip shop style chips and not charge me a fortune for a handful of them.

Archived