IGNORED

Spandau Ballet's Gold And Bristol City

Sixtyseconds

1) It's unique (even though other clubs use the tune, it isn't about the cider)

2) At least the fans are singing

3) Those people saying because it's Spandau Ballet it's gay/not cool enough etc, the song is 20 odd years old. If it was sung at the time it was released, that would be different (like singing one direction or something now) but I don't think anyone cares about the origins of the song anymore

4) Lighten up you boring old B*stards!!!

What the hell has got into people on this forum!

Moaning about a song that people sing!

Any moaning about our shirt sponsorship too...

Opposed to the vilification of players/managers I find the topic of fan culture of real interest. I think with respect that you have missed a central point of observations of that culture - Social norms have changed and fan support homogenised.

The moaning versus observation is predictable. No real debate regarding changing subcultures, no mulling over the irony of the use of new and unique, or the peculiar genre of song choice. Little sensible discussion encouraged on what is a forum.

Observation on changing attitudes have been quite jocular v the inevitable get over it.

Interesting link to a cumulative narrative of Bristol City fans views of plagiarism from 2009. It is a collective hammering.

http://www.youtube.com/all_comments?v=jvDK5WZXmbM

Opposed to the vilification of players/managers I find the topic of fan culture of real interest. I think with respect that you have missed a central point of observations of that culture - Social norms have changed and fan support homogensied.

The moaning versus observation is predictable. No real debate regarding changing subcultures, no mulling over the irony of the use of new and unique, or the peculiar genre of song choice. Little sensible discussion encouraged on what is a forum.

Observation on changing attitudes have been quite jocular v the inevitable get over it.

Interesting link to a cumulative narrative of Bristol City fans views of plagiarism from 2009. It is a collective hammering.

so are you yay or nay?

so are you yay or nay?

Nay.

I think it is dull and unimaginative..

What interested me was that if away support in the past had sung similar [genre of choice] they would have been laughed at. That is a seismic shift in supporter attitudes.

Doncastors fans are critisised for their aping of BCFC support. City fans on here defend the same as unique.

Nay.

What interested me was that if away support in the past had sung similar [genre of choice] they would have been laughed at. That is a seismic shift in supporter attitudes.

Doncastors fans are critisised for their aping of BCFC support. City fans on here defend the same as unique.

Disagree. It is imaginative. Whether you think it's dull or not is another story but it is clearly catchy.

What I find frankly ridiculous is those people (including yourself it seems) that are hung up on the origins of the tune (Spandau Ballet, new romantics etc). Most common football chants (as someone else stated) are from church hymns (fight fight), children's songs (Torres' song) etc etc. The origin of the tune shouldn't be the basis for singing or not singing IMHO, what the song is about and if it's catchy should be the 2 criteria

P.S. we can't seriously sing "by far the greatest team the world has ever seen" can we?!

P.P.S. The kemp brothers from Spandau Ballet played the Kray brothers in the film, so they are must be 'ard enough for all you macho 70s/80s former/wannabe hooligans

Opposed to the vilification of players/managers I find the topic of fan culture of real interest. I think with respect that you have missed a central point of observations of that culture - Social norms have changed and fan support homogenised.

Nay.

Pretentious much?

I don't understand why people are complaining about the origins of the song! Its only a song!

It's not uncommon for fans to use well known pop songs, Liverpool use Depeche Mode to sing about Suarez and Manchester City use 2unlimited to sing about the Toure brothers. Neither song has anything to do with the club or the area.

Those who claim they are embarrassed by it... Why? I don't think anyone in the oppositions end of the ground cares what we are singing!

Personally I like singing thatchers gold. Easy for people to get involved and brings a smile to faces.

• Admin

Wow, that was a load of nonsense too !

Still the original point, why does anyone moan about a song that supporters of our club decide to sing?

My only thought on the song is over use (like the bounce around) the same with the drum in the EE at first it was used when needed but then ended up in the hands of a few who thought they would hit it like they have just found their weiner for the first time and everyone got so fed up to the point i had to lock the drum away. All i'll say is to people who think it is good or bad, those who like it sing it if you wish there is no law to stop you, those who don't like it don't sing it, however singers mix it up or it will go the same way as the believe & bounce around songs where people just got tired of the over use,,, dolman bounce around (oh not again syndrome)

My only thought on the song is over use (like the bounce around) the same with the drum in the EE at first it was used when needed but then ended up in the hands of a few who thought they would hit it like they have just found their weiner for the first time and everyone got so fed up to the point i had to lock the drum away. All i'll say is to people who think it is good or bad, those who like it sing it if you wish there is no law to stop you, those who don't like it don't sing it, however singers mix it up or it will go the same way as the believe & bounce around songs where people just got tired of the over use,,, dolman bounce around (oh not again syndrome)

I did enjoy the megaphone, can that make a comeback or is that banned /confiscated whatever ?

I did enjoy the megaphone, can that make a comeback or is that banned /confiscated whatever ?

The drum was hit so much the skin had broken, needs new skin and I have not got around to it as waiting on various meeting out come, so another reason to put the drum away. The original megaphone user (a chap from weston) gave up and took it away, pretty much for people moaning at him for constant use and using it over chanting, he did like his cider tipple before the game which could have been a factor.

Wow, that was a load of nonsense too !

Still the original point, why does anyone moan about a song that supporters of our club decide to sing?

I have met you on the W-S-M train I won't be offended.

Your peers on that regular coach have some very strong ideas on support. Raised arms tapping watches recently due to the longevity of the song in question.

Here we go Phantom. Expect it will receieve the coating off from the cabal for having an opinion. why does anyone moan about a song that supporters of our club decide to sing? It is Spandau Ballet, it is not very good, it does not feel like a terrace song, City fans have been original in the past and done far better, it is drony and sung often half heartedly as its rthe thing to do, it is boring, it is sung by those who are predominately on the young side who sing little else and don't get repition x10 causes older elements in the stand to get behind the team less just like johnson said quickly did and once again it is Spandau Ballet.

The drum was hit so much the skin had broken, needs new skin and I have not got around to it as waiting on various meeting out come, so another reason to put the drum away. The original megaphone user (a chap from weston) gave up and took it away, pretty much for people moaning at him for constant use and using it over chanting, he did like his cider tipple before the game which could have been a factor.

Was this the bloke who sang threshing machine? Thought he was pretty funny although you could tell he was fond of his drink haha

Archived