IGNORED

Spandau Ballet's Gold And Bristol City

Sixtyseconds

Sometimes I wish there was an emoticon with a nail being firmly struck on it's head. This is such a time.

I don't really understand the logic of it to be honest, People can get hung up over a (widely known and very popular) pop tune from a crappy band being used but are proud of the Wurzuls? I mean, if this is some kind of musical snobbery from the punks and the skinheads and the blah blah blah's then why on earth do we love the Wurzuls too? I bloody love the Wurzuls, but I'm not some kind of fascist when it comes to music.

Plus the Wurzels used tunes from really cheesy pop songs and changed the lyrics to talk about cider, farming etc etc (combine harvester was originally Brand New Key by Melanie and Cider Drinker was originally Una Poloma Blanca!!!) Maybe those who don't like the original versions of those songs should stop singing the Wurzels?

Or perhaps it's simply a case of "Fings was better when I were a lad"

Plus the Wurzels used tunes from really cheesy pop songs and changed the lyrics to talk about cider, farming etc etc (combine harvester was originally Brand New Key by Melanie and Cider Drinker was originally Una Poloma Blanca!!!) Maybe those who don't like the original versions of those songs should stop singing the Wurzels?

Which, of course, they were ;)

Sums up large aspects of this clubs support, in my opinion.

Obviously I'll know be called a few names... :fish:

It's what you grow up with as a lad in the play ground you were supposed to be seen jumping around to the jam or madness while the girls pinned wham, duran druran and spandau ballet pictures on their walls, back then as a kid when all that modern romantic music came out it didnt strike me as football terrace music it was it as a boy band thing, ok years on I hum along to a tune on the radio and was a dj so I could tell what songs pushed peoples buttons but still its a tune I can take or leave, same kind of thinking where I cant see a bros, jason donavan, take that or new kids on the block taking off in football.

But if you like it, sing it but I can understand those who dont and why

Bloody hell, have a day off. Its just a bit of fun. I bet the people moaning don't sit in the Eastend, bet its all the quiet fans.

I thought the inclusion of the Stranglers, Spandau Ballet, Justin Beiber and the go compare advert in a post making perfect sense and being amusing was a feat.

Meanwhile players tweets are under scrutiny and becoming topics for fans.

I know which topic I prefer.

It's what you grow up with as a lad in the play ground you were supposed to be seen jumping around to the jam or madness while the girls pinned wham, duran druran and spandau ballet pictures on their walls, back then as a kid when all that modern romantic music came out it didnt strike me as football terrace music it was it as a boy band thing, ok years on I hum along to a tune on the radio and was a dj so I could tell what songs pushed peoples buttons but still its a tune I cant take or leave, same kind of thinking where I cant see a bros, jason donavan, take that oor new kids on the block taking off in football.

But if you like it, sing it but I can understand those who dont and why

I'm only 19 and I can't stand today's music. Most of it is absolute shite! Give me the jam anyday

I'm only 19 and I can't stand today's music. Most of it is absolute shite! Give me the jam anyday

That's the thing everyone has different taste in music so there will always be people that like some songs and some that don't.

I'd say look beyond the artist of the song and look at how it's been adapted to city and our specific fan culture. If that part is relevant then the original artist is completely irrelevant.

That's the thing everyone has different taste in music so there will always be people that like some songs and some that don't.

I'd say look beyond the artist of the song and look at how it's been adapted to city and our specific fan culture. If that part is relevant then the original artist is completely irrelevant.

The only band that are relevant to City is the Wurzels. Great init, Liverpool get the Beatles and Gerry and the Pacemakers. Manchester get Oasis and Kasabian and we're stuck with some carrot crunching wurzels that aren't even from Somerset!

The only band that are relevant to City is the Wurzels. Great init, Liverpool get the Beatles and Gerry and the Pacemakers. Manchester get Oasis and Kasabian and we're stuck with some carrot crunching wurzels that aren't even from Somerset!

Kasabian are Leicester. The drummer is a City fan though.

Kasabian are Leicester City mate. Bands, culture and football. Bristol is not so badly off except the starting XI's.

This is true sure- But Manchester City also use hey Jude, a song by the most famous scousers ever to walk the planet! And Liverpool use Depeche Mode and I'm pretty sure they are from Essex!

I don't think where the song originates from is too much of an issue, maybe just that other teams use the same tune- Wigan use Gold to sing about Di Santo- meaning that it sounds unoriginal and the fact that the lyrics are hardly mind blowing (still better than anything I could come up with!!) is what maybe annoys people.

The only band that are relevant to City is the Wurzels.

Add Chaos UK - AD Rice and the Wazzocks for versions of I am cider drinker and drink up thy cider.

The Vice Squad.

And of course Massive Attack who were described as music, art and football in the press. 3D was involved in the City fanzine Ultra, and I am pretty sure has done some artwork for fans groups.

Interesting thread this. Younger fans may learn a little about the cultural history of BCFC .

Pete bud the current lead singer of the wurzels was born in Brislington, Bristol

He was influenced by rock 'n' roll and was in bands in the 1950s 'Pete Budd and the Rebels', the 1960s 'Rainbow People', and early 70s 'The Eddie King Band'

If after something with a bit more hard core bite then look up the music of Bristol band Chaos uk

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaos_UK

Funny thing about music with its influence on many cultures that if back in the day from groups who liked to have a good tear up with each other (rights or wrongs aside) in forms of teddy boys, punks, rockers, mods & maybe hells angels who all adopted a version of music to their group, fashion, culture and even forms of transport they used for their own identity, i'm just having a chuckle to myself if the rockers walked on to weston beach back in the day to be met by a mob of modern romantics, just got a picture of quadrophenia in mind when posting this, oh what would they all think of that and also of the X factor of today

Pete bud the current lead singer of the wurzels was born in Brislington, Bristol

He was influenced by rock 'n' roll and was in bands in the 1950s 'Pete Budd and the Rebels', the 1960s 'Rainbow People', and early 70s 'The Eddie King Band'

If after something with a bit more hard core bite then look up the music of Bristol band Chaos uk

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaos_UK

Funny thing about music with its influence on many cultures that if back in the day from groups who liked to have a good tear up with each other (rights or wrongs aside) in forms of teddy boys, punks, rockers, mods & maybe hells angels who all adopted a version of music to their group, fashion, culture and even forms of transport they used for their own identity, i'm just having a chuckle to myself if the rockers walked on to weston beach back in the day to be met by a mob of modern romantics, just got a picture of quadrophenia in mind when posting this, oh what would they all think of that and also of the X factor of today

Quadrophenia is a great film. A good example too

Quadrophenia is a great film. A good example too

Aye!

Just looking through a list of bands from bristol and west country

A few i forgot about

Tears for fears (Bath)

Pig bag

Nik kershaw

Joe boxers

Bananarama (original line up)

Climie Fisher

Kosheen

Massive attack

Adge cutler

Portishead

Loads listed here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_bands_from_Bristol

http://www.ranker.com/list/bristol-bands-and-musical-artists-from-here/reference

What a load of self important pompous tosh

Several times I thought the thread was lost. Well done those who have stayed strong in the face of some hostile attacks. If O'Driscoll can get two defensive lines competing as hard as some are defending their positions on here City will be alright. What say you?

Aye!

Just looking through a list of bands from bristol and west country

A few i forgot about

Tears for fears (Bath)

Pig bag

Nik kershaw

Joe boxers

Bananarama (original line up)

Climie Fisher

Kosheen

Massive attack

Adge cutler

Portishead

Loads listed here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_bands_from_Bristol

http://www.ranker.com/list/bristol-bands-and-musical-artists-from-here/reference

It's funny how people fought over different styles or music like the mods and rockers did. Like football really years ago...

Archived