IGNORED

How Good Is The Premier League ?

Eco

Following last weeks cup defeats, for example Norwich & Liverpool against the mighty Luton & Oldham, plus the struggle in the Championship of all three relegated teams from last season and the (relative) success of last years promoted teams, so far just wondering if it's all it's cracked up to be ?

Is there a levelling out of ability across the leagues ? I can't really think of any other reason. Wolves, Bolton & Blackburn haven't ditched many of last years squad's that I'm aware of. I know some teams rested players for the cup matches but you'd still expect them to win.

Take out the 'big seven', Man Utd, Man City, Arsenal, Tottenham, Chelsea, Everton & Liverpool and it seems you're left with teams whose main aim is to avoid relegation and pay out silly money in wages in the process.

Not having Sky I've never actually watched a PL game on TV and have never seen a match live so can't really comment on the standard, obviously you get brief highlights on MOTD.

Most of the worlds best players don't play in the premiership.

My view is the premiership = overrated top 3 won't be over taken only 4th place is up for grabs, so slightly more interesting than Spanish football.

Spain - great football but apart from 2 seasons when Valencia won the title only Barcelona or Real Madrid can conceivably win the title, yawn.

Germany - Great football, technically brilliant, huge passionate crowds, will only get better and although Bayern Munich are the most consistent team the title does get shared around more than the above.

Italy - bent, mainly a 3 horse race, not as good as the above anymore.

A special mention for Scotland at least Celtic used to have 1 team to oppose them, but now any titles won without any viable opposition are going to be as much of an achievement as North Korean elections, waste of time and energy.

I hate the PL. From a true football stance it's the worse in the world. Too many foreign players, diving, plastic fans, ruled by same clubs, Manchester United etc. Though it's never been published or unleashed in some way I would not be surprised if there was match fixing involved in the PL and drug use was pretty 'normal' for some clubs. Seems very corrupt in my eyes.

I hate the PL. From a true football stance it's the worse in the world. Too many foreign players, diving, plastic fans, ruled by same clubs, Manchester United etc. Though it's never been published or unleashed in some way I would not be surprised if there was match fixing involved in the PL and drug use was pretty 'normal' for some clubs. Seems very corrupt in my eyes.

Yet thats where we want to be...

Before the Prem season starts most people on here could roughly predict the end of season league table.

Says it all really, predictable.

No one could do the same with the Championship.

Disagree slightly

Not many people would have predicted Newcastle being in 15th, West Brom being in 9th, Swansea in 8th and only four points off Arsenal who are in 6th.

More people world wide watch the PL than any other. If it was so crap they wouldn't watch it.

Personally I like it and watch as many games as I can.

Same here. I love the prem, it's one thing we have in england thats better than everyone else!

If city ever get promoted i'd be over the moon! I certainly wouldn't be wishing we were still in the championship!

As for someone saying that prem fans are plastic, your a nob, simple as that! If we went up, would that make you a plastic bcfc fan?

Prem is where its at, dont hate it! Love it! One day we'll be there, winning trophies (maybe dreaming slightly) and none of us will be saying that we're playing in a rubbish, boring, predictable league!

Same here. I love the prem, it's one thing we have in england thats better than everyone else!

If city ever get promoted i'd be over the moon! I certainly wouldn't be wishing we were still in the championship!

As for someone saying that prem fans are plastic, your a nob, simple as that! If we went up, would that make you a plastic bcfc fan?

Prem is where its at, dont hate it! Love it! One day we'll be there, winning trophies (maybe dreaming slightly) and none of us will be saying that we're playing in a rubbish, boring, predictable league!

I don't think we're playing in a rubbish, boring, predictable league now!

I have no interest in the PL and very rarely watch it TBH, but if people do, that's cool. Each to their own.

Obviously, if at some distant future time we were a top flight club again, I'd follow it closely.

Disagree slightly

Not many people would have predicted Newcastle being in 15th, West Brom being in 9th, Swansea in 8th and only four points off Arsenal who are in 6th.

I think Portland generally refers to the top 7-8 anyway... they are all pretty much in position as we speak.. the cream takes a while to rise but mid term report is that it is business as usual. From about position 8 downwards I agree... it perhaps should be re-named the Premiership Championship.

Manure, Manbudhabi, Chelski, Totnukah, Arseyank, Toffee, Livs - they are all in position now.

The premier league is nothing for us to be proud of, it's just a mechanism to get as much money out of the football fan as possible, it's one of the reasons football finances are in such a state today. All the premier league as given us is a climate of pure greed and arrogance, a climate where the national team comes second to the pound, a culture where you can claim to be a supporter of a top club because you seen them play numerous times, on Sky. Give me pre premier leagues days anytime, an era where clubs could have aspirations of doing a Wimbledon or Ipswich when the odds were more fairly balanced, not a closed shop like it is today. Yeah can't wait for us to get there only to be left wondering who's gonna save us when all the parasites have taken their slice of cake and done a runner. The premier league is shit.

I like the premier league. I don't buy into the whole plastic thing. What about the supporters of these clubs who have been going since before 1992? We all dream of going undefeated for a whole league season like arsenal did (best footballing side I've ever seen) and to see the top players from all over the world on your doorstep.

A very close 2nd is the bundesliga. Safe standing, cheap tickets, excellent football, promoting youth players, some of that the prem has lacked but I think is starting to focus more toward now. I think some take the premiership for granted cuz we see it every week so we are used to seeing it all the time.

Following last weeks cup defeats, for example Norwich & Liverpool against the mighty Luton & Oldham, plus the struggle in the Championship of all three relegated teams from last season and the (relative) success of last years promoted teams, so far just wondering if it's all it's cracked up to be ? Is there a levelling out of ability across the leagues ? I can't really think of any other reason. Wolves, Bolton & Blackburn haven't ditched many of last years squad's that I'm aware of. I know some teams rested players for the cup matches but you'd still expect them to win. Take out the 'big seven', Man Utd, Man City, Arsenal, Tottenham, Chelsea, Everton & Liverpool and it seems you're left with teams whose main aim is to avoid relegation and pay out silly money in wages in the process. Not having Sky I've never actually watched a PL game on TV and have never seen a match live so can't really comment on the standard, obviously you get brief highlights on MOTD. Do you live in a cave?

A favourite rant of mine.

When the then League Division 1 clubs resigned from the Football League to form the Prem, Brian Clough was manager of Forest who were one of those clubs. He publicly stated "If this premierships helps Forest then it's a good thing, but not if it's to the detriment of the likes of Hartlepool".

At first the Prem was Div 1 under a new name, but then Sky began brainwashing people into believing it was much better than what had gone before. The first ever Monday Night Prem game was Man C v QPR and the Managers complained that it did not seem right to sit around on the opening day of the season and not to be playing until the Monday. Rather ironic that those two teams were both in what had been Div 3 a few years later.

Go back some years though and BBC MOTD on Sat night would show two top games, usually, but not always from Div 1. If the top 2 in Div 4 were playing that would be one of the two games shown as it was a MOTD. Sunday afternoons the various ITV companies would show three local games. Except for HTV who insisted on showing us the London game. One week Anglia broadcast City's 3-1 win atLuton, but HTV still showed us the Spurs game. Then in the 80's ITV bought the rights to the entire football league leaving BBC out in the cold. ITV started showing live games on Sundays but; they concentrated on just six teams; Man U, Liverpool Everton, Arsenal, Spurs and Forest. If any two of those were playing each other you knew that would be the game. This was the point where certain clubs started to think people were only interested in them and the rest is history.

When the League still consisted of four divisions, gate receipts were split three ways. The majority went to the home team, some went to the visitors as their fans would have contributed to the receipts and a third split went to the league. All the gate money that went to the league from every club was divided into 92 equal portions at the end of the season. At the time the top 2 div clubs had one vote each whilst the lower two duvs had 4 votes between them and were referred to only as associate members. They then challenged this and at the League AGM a compromse was reached. The 24 clubs in Div 4 - 1 vote each. The 24 in Div 3 - 3 votes each. The 22 in Div 2 - 6 votes each and the 22 in Div 1 - 12 votes each. Do the maths and yes, the 22 in Div 1 could out vote the other 70 clubs. Having agreed that, the big clubs then pushed through the ruling that in future each club would retain 100% of it's gate receipts and all other income would be down to merchandising, TV and sponsorship,Great for Man U, but not for nearby Bury.

A further thought. Before winning promotion to the Championsjip, the question was asked on this forum "Do you want City in the Prem". Most posters stated the prices were too high, kick off times too erratic etc and they would be happy for City to be a strong Championship team with the occasional good cup run. (yes I know, we still want this).

Then we were promoted and nearly made it to the Prem and most people then changed their opinions.

To us older supporters who can remember Lgs 1 2 3 and 4, the Premiership was hijacked by Sky and the Sun. I tend to get the Independant (SW) on a sunday so I can follow City even through Richard Latham. It is a money making machine with a 'long term' recipe for football disaster when football falls out of favour. Get most national newspapers and the PL takes pride of place with Chsp, Lg 1 and 2 getting minimum space. I had a season ticket with Malaga when I lived in Spain and was very dissapointed with standard of football in La Liga, Chsp here is just as good. :ill: :ill:

You cant argue with the fact that the premiership's 3rd best team are European champions. So it cant be that bad. Standards of football are not easily measurable - thats why its such a great game. The unexpected can happen at any time. I think its not so much a case of how good it is as the unexpected. Hardly any teams (even Stoke) play hoofball in Prem or Europe- so they dont know how to play against it. Thats why replays are usually won by prem sides. They have worked out what they are up against.

I'm on holiday in Malaysia at the moment.

They love their football but just 2 leagues dominate all the tv coverage, La liga and the PL.

Looking at the locals walking around in replica shirts, it's nearly all PL, mainly Man U.

I'm happy to report, they don't seem to know Cardiff exist.

More people world wide watch the PL than any other. If it was so crap they wouldn't watch it.

Personally I like it and watch as many games as I can.

I flicked through the papers on Wednesday looking for a paragraph on the mighty Bristol City overcoming a run away Watford. There was 4 pages of Premiershit coverage including details on games that hadn't yet happened. There was nothing, zilch, diddly squat on any of the Championship or FL games.

This must mean the Premiershit is ace.

I flicked through the papers on Wednesday looking for a paragraph on the mighty Bristol City overcoming a run away Watford. There was 4 pages of Premiershit coverage including details on games that hadn't yet happened. There was nothing, zilch, diddly squat on any of the Championship or FL games.

This must mean the Premiershit is ace.

I couldnt agree more - but you forgot to add page long interviews with ONE PLAYER! They love a good foreign player those journos. Look at the completely over the top reaction to one player leaving Man City. They did well to get rid of the ego on legs that is Ballatelli. Hacks love him because his admitedly amusing infantile behaviour makes far easier and sensational copy than an entire league that is as exciting as you can get - the Championship.

I was trying to make the point that this season, in particular, it seems as though there isn't the gulf in class between the championship and PL based on how the relegated teams have done and also the promoted teams. Also how can Luton go and win at Norwich ? It was the case in previous seasons that many teams that went up came straight down and vice versa, this doesn't seem to happen as often these days, is it due to the C'ship getting better or the PL (top 7 apart) worse ?

Archived