IGNORED

Louis Carey Speaks Out In Favour Of Bristol United

Nogbad the Bad

My view is that if you merge two cr@p teams, you end up with one cr@p team. Unless a big backer was to get involved, and I can't see that happening when any Bristol club would only have a stadium holding 25,000 at best, Bristol United would only ever be a lower to mid table Championship side, at very best.

Having a 'back backer' has nothing to do with it; FFP kills off any benefit that would bring other than staying in business.

Back on topic; Carey, you really have let yourself down with those comments fella.

What on earth were you thinking when you said them? Or, to be kind, were you being a footballer and, well, not really thinking?

Bristol Utd, tut tut.

If there was ever a merger the Rovers could keep the BRISTOL part of their name and we'll keep the CITY part of ours.

We'll keep our RED shirts and RED socks and they could keep their WHITE shorts.

There, doesn't seem so bad now. :D

Seems like an eminently fair and equitable solution squire, what is not to dislike given that set of circumstances... perhaps this is what Carey meant? !!!

The mans allowed an opinion is he not?? Might not be what we all think but it's not the end of the world.

Aye he is entitled to an opinion. You live and die by your opinions, and I guess he was either brave or stupid to say it.

A lot of people will not be happy by the comment.

For me it is kind of a throw away comment, but to others it won't be. As a public personality, sometimes you have to think before you speak. I think Louis has probably stated this from a footballers perspective, I think he may have wanted to think that fans are not players and will not see it from that perspective at all.

Also fans are a unforgiving bunch..... So fair dos for holding that opinion, but he can almost certainly expect it to come back and bite him in the ass from some.

I personally would want nothing to do with a Bristol United and the thought of sitting next to one of them lot as fellow fans at a game sickens me.

Oh come on Fred,I can see it now,, you and me, a flask of tea, a red and blue checkered blanket over our knees and a few cheese sarnies... cheering on the boys in red and blue...

:hug:

Wait for the boos from some at AG.. bank on it.

Doubt that will happen, and don't be surprised if there is a quick retraction from Carey anyway.

I imagine he realises this must surely be his final season at AG, but all the same, he could hardly have come out with a more tactless and damaging parting shot.

Possibly Ill advised comments but still a good servant to the club. One of my favourite players of the past 10.

Definite no to bristol united. As you correctly suggest bcfc it's what's important and the PL is crap anyway :)

We've got to post 49 on this subject without (I think) a single post in support of Carey's views so I will buck the trend and stand back for the flak.

Given the economics of football today, the fact is that a city of about 500K people can't go on for ever supporting two professional football clubs. Yes it can happen in large cities like Manchester and Liverpool and looking at London - with a population of 8M + they can easily support, what is it ? About 10 pro clubs.

Bristol United FC should have happened years ago and by now that club would probably have long since been a fixture in the PL. It is very sad that the 7th largest city in the UK has never had a club in the Premier League.

I read loads of people on here saying they can't stand the PL. Who are they kidding ? This is the biggest football league in the world and currently City are several miles away from joining in the fun and playing some of the best clubs in football.

It's probably too late now, but if anyone could make this happen it would be Steve Lansdown.

PS - Just to avoid being lynched when I walk out of my front door tomorrow, given that there are still two clubs round here, there is no doubt where my allegiance lies.

Shocking comments from City's long serving player on the RB sports forum that he would be in favour of City and Rovers merging if it gave Bristol a better chance of hosting Premier League football.

"I just love Bristol. I'd love a Bristol club to be in the Premier League, if that means City and Rovers merge and become Bristol United, so be it.

If it's to have a PL club in Bristol then I'd be all for it.

It should have happened years ago."

Unbelievable comments from 'Mr. Bristol City', that sacrificing BCFC and it's history would be an acceptable price to pay to have an improved chance of PL football in Bristol.

Personally speaking Bristol City F.C. is what's important, whatever the division, and I don't care if we never get to the PL.

Mr Bristol City? Don't make me laugh

We've got to post 49 on this subject without (I think) a single post in support of Carey's views so I will buck the trend and stand back for the flak.

Given the economics of football today, the fact is that a city of about 500K people can't go on for ever supporting two professional football clubs. Yes it can happen in large cities like Manchester and Liverpool and looking at London - with a population of 8M + they can easily support, what is it ? About 10 pro clubs.

Bristol United FC should have happened years ago and by now that club would probably have long since been a fixture in the PL. It is very sad that the 7th largest city in the UK has never had a club in the Premier League.

I read loads of people on here saying they can't stand the PL. Who are they kidding ? This is the biggest football league in the world and currently City are several miles away from joining in the fun and playing some of the best clubs in football.

It's probably too late now, but if anyone could make this happen it would be Steve Lansdown.

PS - Just to avoid being lynched when I walk out of my front door tomorrow, given that there are still two clubs round here, there is no doubt where my allegiance lies.

I have no problem with any of that.

I am plolar opposite to it, I really cannot stand what the premiership stands for, the glamour glitz and general feel f the thing is just not me. I now sleep through match of the day day and waker up for the football league show!! That is how much interest I have in it.

So if the only reason to have a Bristol United team is to get to the premiership for a season or two, before being bought by some big forieng investor (an I don't like what Lansdown has done so far!) Then I just cannot see the appeal. Sorry just not for me I am afraid, I am not sure I care if we get to this Premier league utopia anyway. Promotion and relegations in lower leagues is fine by me. either monotonous lower/relegation prem club or foreign sell out part successful prem club does nothing for me. Everton are classed as relatively successful with limited funds, well I am sorry, their existence in the prem must bore the life out of their fans, it certainly does me, year after year of scrapping around for a mid to high mid table position would bore me to tears.

Nope a rag tag bunch bumming around the lower leagues suits me down to the ground. But then I am a bit weird.

I have no problem with any of that.

I am plolar opposite to it, I really cannot stand what the Premier League stands for, the glamour glitz and general feel f the thing is just not me. I now sleep through match of the day day and waker up for the football league show!! That is how much interest I have in it.

So if the only reason to have a Bristol United team is to get to the Premier League for a season or two, before being bought by some big forieng investor (an I don't like what Lansdown has done so far!) Then I just cannot see the appeal. Sorry just not for me I am afraid, I am not sure I care if we get to this Premier league utopia anyway. Promotion and relegations in lower leagues is fine by me. either monotonous lower/relegation prem club or foreign sell out part successful prem club does nothing for me. Everton are classed as relatively successful with limited funds, well I am sorry, their existence in the prem must bore the life out of their fans, it certainly does me, year after year of scrapping around for a mid to high mid table position would bore me to tears.

Nope a rag tag bunch bumming around the lower leagues suits me down to the ground. But then I am a bit weird.

Thanks for the response TRL. I understand all the reservations about the PL and frankly some of what goes on there worries me to death.

HOWEVER - I am now retired but throughout my 40 + years business career I was focussed on achieving the best possible outcome for my company and that meant competing with our most competent rivals and then winning !!

Well actually (realistically) it meant winning more times than you lost - just like football !

So, why would you not want to be watching your local club side being able to compete with the very best of other clubs ?

Can't figure that one out - sorry.

BTW - I am old enough to have stood in the old enclosure in the late 1970's at AG (for you younger fans it was a standing area pitchside in the Williams) when we were in the old 1st division and we thought nothing of turning up to see City play Man U or Arsenal or Liverpool at home.

I had only just started following City and I thought this was quite normal.

We have been trying to get back there ever since.

Shocking comments from City's long serving player on the RB sports forum that he would be in favour of City and Rovers merging if it gave Bristol a better chance of hosting Premier League football.

"I just love Bristol. I'd love a Bristol club to be in the Premier League, if that means City and Rovers merge and become Bristol United, so be it.

If it's to have a PL club in Bristol then I'd be all for it.

It should have happened years ago."

Unbelievable comments from 'Mr. Bristol City', that sacrificing BCFC and it's history would be an acceptable price to pay to have an improved chance of PL football in Bristol.

Personally speaking Bristol City F.C. is what's important, whatever the division, and I don't care if we never get to the PL.

I regard people like you as 'Mr Bristol City', Nogbad.

Rationally speaking, from the brain, it does make sense to merge.

We live in a crazy world, though. And in that crazy world, having one under-achieving side and one utterly pointless side, in one city, makes more sense than having one successful, competitive club.

Cardiff City have sold their soul an are ridiculed.

I can though,see the point of a merge.

Thanks for the response TRL. I understand all the reservations about the PL and frankly some of what goes on there worries me to death.

HOWEVER - I am now retired but throughout my 40 + years business career I was focussed on achieving the best possible outcome for my company and that meant competing with our most competent rivals and then winning !!

Well actually (realistically) it meant winning more times than you lost - just like football !

So, why would you not want to be watching your local club side being able to compete with the very best of other clubs ?

Can't figure that one out - sorry.

Generally to be successful in the prem means someone buys you out. When I say successful, I mean winning things, not just being in the prem.

If that happens invariably prices go up, you start playing football at weird times. For me that isn't football. If prices start going up (and they are bad enough now) then I get to go less and less. Of course I would be able to watch them on TV more, but that doesn't appeal.

Sorry If success means complete change, an it will mean complete change, well there is only so much I can stomach, before the club I support is changed out of all recognition.

And for that reason alone, I am not sure it is worth the price. I know football and clubs change, but there is a point when enough is enough for me.

I want a football club to support, not a corporate plaything. This new corporate football world is not for me.

BTW - I am old enough to have stood in the old enclosure in the late 1970's at AG (for you younger fans it was a standing area pitchside in the Williams) when we were in the old 1st division and we thought nothing of turning up to see City play Man U or Arsenal or Liverpool at home.

I had only just started following City and I thought this was quite normal.

We have been trying to get back there ever since.

:) I too remember those days, I think the chance of achieving glory was closer to home back then. I think those days are well and truely gone now! Blackburn were the last team to buy their way to the title, when other clubs may have been able to compete with their spending. Alas, I can't see it happening again, to buy your way to the title now, it seems you have to spend hundreds of millions

Archived