IGNORED

Louis Carey Speaks Out In Favour Of Bristol United

Nogbad the Bad

In all seriousness, just what would the Rovers bring to a United club? No money, no players... Just planning permission for a ground in the wilds of South Glos.

they would bring more debt, to add on to our 40 million.

Red Planet, I don't get your point why being one team called Bristol Utd would make any difference to on pitch success.

Simples Screech ! You would combine the fan base and resources to make a much bigger club that could compete with the major clubs in the game.

The actual name of the combined club is irrelevant. I just used Bristol United as an example. It could be Avon Rangers - or whatever.

Simples Screech ! You would combine the fan base and resources to make a much bigger club that could compete with the major clubs in the game.

The actual name of the combined club is irrelevant. I just used Bristol United as an example. It could be Avon Rangers - or whatever.

What percentage of each fanbase do you think would support this venture? Honest question, I really don't know, me and my mates all say we would never support it, but in reality, I don't know if some would go through with a boycott.

I know I definitely would.

On paper it ticks many boxes, but in reality who would honestly from either fan base go and watch? I know I wouldnt.

I did say earlier that this is probably never going to happen because it is too late.

In the (unlikely) event that it ever did happen there would of course be boycotts from loads of fans from both City and Rovers.

But over time, the team playing in green (let's suppose - sorry Yeovil) would attract thousands of new fans.

He also said nice things about John Ward.

Looking for a year or two over at the Rovers Louis?

Doubt he was angling for that, but if Louis and City part company at the end of the season there must be a good possibility he will move to Rovers.

He's stated he wants to carry on playing for two more years, he doesn't want to move from Bristol, and it was well publicized that he married into a Rovers supporting family a few years ago.

If John Ward stays at Rovers, and Loius' admiration for JW is reciprocated, then why not - it would seem to be the ideal fit.

I did say earlier that this is probably never going to happen because it is too late.

In the (unlikely) event that it ever did happen there would of course be boycotts from loads of fans from both City and Rovers.

But over time, the team playing in green (let's suppose - sorry Yeovil) would attract thousands of new fans.

Like who for instance, dissolusioned MK Dongs or Baaadiff Redbirds fans?

In all seriousness, just what would the Rovers bring to a United club? No money, no players... Just planning permission for a ground in the wilds of South Glos.

Well, we could chip in with minus £40m and planning permission for a ground on a village green - Rovers could match neither of these things.

Not in favour of a merger myself, although in time the new club would probably attract more than enough support, with newbies replacing the diminishing number of diehards. I imagine there once were Bristol South End fans swearing never to watch football again if the merger with they scumbags from Bedminster were to go ahead...

What percentage of each fanbase do you think would support this venture? Honest question, I really don't know, me and my mates all say we would never support it, but in reality, I don't know if some would go through with a boycott.

I know I definitely would.

I deffo WOULDN'T !

It would give me the perfect excuse to get on and do something useful with what remains of my life.

Generally to be successful in the prem means someone buys you out. When I say successful, I mean winning things, not just being in the prem.

If that happens invariably prices go up, you start playing football at weird times. For me that isn't football. If prices start going up (and they are bad enough now) then I get to go less and less. Of course I would be able to watch them on TV more, but that doesn't appeal.

Sorry If success means complete change, an it will mean complete change, well there is only so much I can stomach, before the club I support is changed out of all recognition.

And for that reason alone, I am not sure it is worth the price. I know football and clubs change, but there is a point when enough is enough for me.

I want a football club to support, not a corporate plaything. This new corporate football world is not for me.

I know people who are 'man u' fans and I have no problem with them but when football is raised the conversation is of lesser quality.

A neighbour of my parents is a gashead. He's a nice bloke. I have good football conversations with him.

Carey is just saying the same rubbish that I hear from other non City/Rovers supporting colleagues at work all the time.

I'm sure it makes sense in theory to have had a Bristol United from the start but that doesn't mean that it is at all viable now. How many football fans are there in Bristol who do not support City, the Gas OR another club? Not many I would imagine, therefore it would be years before any fanbase for a Bristol United would be established. Also surely, by the same rationale, one club in Manchester would be far more successful than the two...so why not merge City and United to make one, all conquering 'super club'?

One club in a large City does not guarantee success anyway. Bradford is bigger than Bristol.

We've got to post 49 on this subject without (I think) a single post in support of Carey's views so I will buck the trend and stand back for the flak.

Given the economics of football today, the fact is that a city of about 500K people can't go on for ever supporting two professional football clubs. Yes it can happen in large cities like Manchester and Liverpool and looking at London - with a population of 8M + they can easily support, what is it ? About 10 pro clubs.

Bristol United FC should have happened years ago and by now that club would probably have long since been a fixture in the PL. It is very sad that the 7th largest city in the UK has never had a club in the Premier League.

I read loads of people on here saying they can't stand the PL. Who are they kidding ? This is the biggest football league in the world and currently City are several miles away from joining in the fun and playing some of the best clubs in football.

It's probably too late now, but if anyone could make this happen it would be Steve Lansdown.

PS - Just to avoid being lynched when I walk out of my front door tomorrow, given that there are still two clubs round here, there is no doubt where my allegiance lies.

If you support Louis Carey's view then by association you also support the demise of Bristol City F.C.

You would have to believe that the potential stronger possibility of being able to watch PL football in Bristol at some stage in the future was more important than the existence of Bristol City Football Club itself.

It might be a cliche, but I'd rather watch Bristol City in any division than a hybrid Bristol based club I had no emotional affiliation with in the PL.

I wouldn't care about a new club (in fact I'd actively resent it because it's formation had killed off City) so why would I be interested in watching 'Bristol United' play - even in the PL - when it would be two sides I had absolutely no interest in?

Dont slate him for responding to a loaded question, its not as if it has never been discussed on here 100 times.

If think Bristol benifits from 2 clubs, i dont see how 1 club would ensure sucess. If people want a Bristol Utd then start it from lower leages, dont dare to mess with the 2 established ones.

Carey is just saying the same rubbish that I hear from other non City/Rovers supporting colleagues at work all the time.

I'm sure it makes sense in theory to have had a Bristol United from the start but that doesn't mean that it is at all viable now. How many football fans are there in Bristol who do not support City, the Gas OR another club? Not many I would imagine, therefore it would be years before any fanbase for a Bristol United would be established. Also surely, by the same rationale, one club in Manchester would be far more successful than the two...so why not merge City and United to make one, all conquering 'super club'?

One club in a large City does not guarantee success anyway. Bradford is bigger than Bristol.

Yes, excellent post.

Basically, Manchester United are one of the biggest clubs in the world. Manchester City have had a recent, humongous injection of wealth.

Bradford is a one club city but are in the region of Leeds, Huddersfield, the Sheffield clubs to name others. They also have a visionary board who charge extremely socially responsible prices for season tickets. Hence the 10k plus gates at league 2.

Just as well considering they were paying Stan Collymore 50 odd grand a week little over a decade ago, so it's all swings and roundabouts.

Back to us; we're a unique situation...

If you support Louis Carey's view then by association you also support the demise of Bristol City F.C.

You would have to believe that the potential stronger possibility of being able to watch PL football in Bristol at some stage in the future was more important than the existence of Bristol City Football Club itself.

It might be a cliche, but I'd rather watch Bristol City in any division than a hybrid Bristol based club I had no emotional affiliation with in the PL.

I wouldn't care about a new club (in fact I'd actively resent it because it's formation had killed off City) so why would I be interested in watching 'Bristol United' play - even in the PL - when it would be two sides I had absolutely no interest in?

I'd rather stay at Ashton Gate, keep playing in red, I want the robin back. I'd also like the East End to be made a listed building and terracing to be returned. Cheap alcohol sale within the ground and that authentic football atmosphere back.

I regard people like you as 'Mr Bristol City', Nogbad.

Rationally speaking, from the brain, it does make sense to merge.

We live in a crazy world, though. And in that crazy world, having one under-achieving side and one utterly pointless side, in one city, makes more sense than having one successful, competitive club.

Cardiff City have sold their soul an are ridiculed.

I can though,see the point of a merge.

Good to have you back, WTF. :thumbsup:

Why do we drag ourselves out in all winds and weathers to support Bristol City Football club?

It's not rational, or indeed much fun most of the time. There's something in the blood that compels us to keep returning. It's the history, the traditions, the stadium, the name, the colours, shared links with family and fellow fans, and the atmosphere and general familiarity of match days.

Thousands of us would no longer feel any similar compulsion to support a new club with none of these associations; our peculiar addiction would be forcibly cured for good.

There may be 'a point of a merge' for the non committed, but not for the likes of us.

Massive over reaction to those comments. He's making a general point about football in Bristol and how it should have evolved by now.

Have you ever seen what LC wears on a day to day basis? I'd take nothing he says seriously, club servant yes, mastermind? No

Also make the assumption the gas would want to join with us, they wouldn't, and rightly so.

Doubt that will happen, and don't be surprised if there is a quick retraction from Carey anyway.

I imagine he realises this must surely be his final season at AG, but all the same, he could hardly have come out with a more tactless and damaging parting shot.

A retraction of sorts perhaps yes. Boos otherwise?.... I still think so.

Archived