IGNORED

Louis Carey Speaks Out In Favour Of Bristol United

Nogbad the Bad

This scenario will fit the Malaysian club a treat. While they are having success, many new fans appear because they want to watch Man Utd etc, as soon as they return to reality following some poor seasons, they will be back to watching their favourite Sky team in the satellite league.

Love that expression - "satellite league" ;)

I'd like to point out the difference between the cities you mention and Bristol.

Without doubt, football is traditionally a working mans sport, less so now but it's history is with the working classes. Bristol has a lower number of working class within it's population and sub regions, when compared to those other cities. Historically there have been less people attending football from Bristol than those places, I know there are many other factors such as having a successful team to follow but, traditionally there have been less people inclined to attend football matches when there are other things to do and Bristol has always had many other things to do than go to watch under achieving football clubs. I know our poor areas compare with those of other cities but there just aren't as many of them.

From memory here is an example of what I mean: Bristol used to have a housing stock of 110,000 of which 46,000 were council owned, Nottingham had a housing stock of 96,000 of which some 80,000 were council owned. These are old figures taken from memory so I cannot be sure of their accuracy, it's only a guide to the make up of different areas assuming working classes are housed by the council.

In the UK, the further south and west you go the richer the people are or, the further north you go the poorer (working class) they become, obviously there are exceptions. Perhaps this is why the better supported teams are traditionall in the north.

This summarises why we struggle in footballing terms.

Football isn't as a part of our culture as it is in more urbanised cities.

The changing face of football might turn out to be to our posh city's advantage, long term.l

I totally agree, but after reading and posting on this forum for 10 years I KNOW that one or two posters have an agenda against LC.

So this thread doesn't actually surprise me ;)

I see absolutely no evidence of any agenda against LC on this thread.

Bristol City fans are simply responding to very surprising comments made by the clubs' longest standing player.

Do you have a view on what he said? :dunno:

I see absolutely no evidence of any agenda against LC on this thread.

Bristol City fans are simply responding to very surprising comments made by the clubs' longest standing player.

Do you have a view on what he said? :dunno:

Well there are a couple, but in a minority.

Have to say Monkeh held his tongue well, fair play.

I do agree Rich, but that only explains historically the reason there are more clubs in the north.

As we've all noticed, football's changing - attracting a more middle-class following. A few games back I was walking to my seat behind a group of well-spoken, middle aged guys who turned out to be Bristol Uni lecturers on their way to their first ever live match.

Couple that with the fact that the sport now costs an arm and a leg to follow - and the north and midlands are increasingly potless - then the fact that Bristol is a "middle class city" is a lot less of a reason to explain the Bristol clubs relatively poor attendances.

Don't you think though, that to attract more of the middle classes and increase your average attendance, you need to provide a successful team, which just might entice those traditionally non attending people to get off their fat asses, into their BMW 4wds and come to the gate. It was starting to happen five years ago but now we've gone backwards and seem to be in the chicken and egg scenario.

It is possible that with a new stadium those pikies of south glos could steal a march on us in attracting these new breeds of supporters, I believe that's hurried along our plan b.

Don't you think though, that to attract more of the middle classes and increase your average attendance, you need to provide a successful team, which just might entice those traditionally non attending people to get off their fat asses, into their BMW 4wds and come to the gate. It was starting to happen five years ago but now we've gone backwards and seem to be in the chicken and egg scenario.

It is possible that with a new stadium those pikies of south glos could steal a march on us in attracting these new breeds of supporters, I believe that's hurried along our plan b.

If that means they take on the Bristol equivalent of Readings new fans since thy movec from Elm Park I'm all for it.

What if that means with their more affluent fans, they are more successful but they still have their quota of inbreeds that consider our demise as thier success?

If that means they take on the Bristol equivalent of Readings new fans since thy movec from Elm Park I'm all for it.

If ever the two Bristol clubs were to get together all it would do would create a third Club in Bristol as fans of both Rovers and City would just recreate there current clubs like AFC Wimbledon have done and Bristol Utd would be a souless club like MK dons.

Bristol has a massive potential fanbase for either or both clubs to tap into. Both clubs get shocking support really for the size of this city, yet can you honestly blame either set of fans for this? What success has either club had long term to build on? there is no doubt that if either,or both of the Bristol clubs got in the Premier League that they could attract 25/30k a week so there is no need for a Bristol Utd ,but a action plan for success that is properly executed.

Can't Carey have an opinion of his own.

Indeed he can.

Likewise we are entitled to show our astonishment at such comments from someone who has made a fantastic living from a unique local club he would now apparently sacrifice and consign to history just to supposedly see a better chance of PL football in Bristol.

Well there are a couple, but in a minority.

Have to say Monkeh held his tongue well, fair play.

I don't like him, thats why I stay away from threads about him but he's entitled to his op just as I am to mine and you are to yours

I dont know if it has already been said but why do reporters or whoever ask these sort of questions? It is never going to happen. When was the last time 2 football league clubs merged? and 2 good sized football league clubs at that. Its not even worth bringing up. I wonder if a Man Utd /man city joint team has ever been asked about? or a London united?

That is a very reasonable assumption, Rich. We are a more successful team than the Gas, of course.

But if we were in the same division and they had a UWE bowl and we had a ramshackle, uundeveloped Ashton Gate, then I'd be worried.

Archived