IGNORED

Louis Carey Speaks Out In Favour Of Bristol United

Nogbad the Bad

Both Bristol clubs get decent support anyway when we're doing well, maybe not so rovers recently but I'm sure their attendances will pick up in the new ground.

A Bristol United may see PL football but why lose all that history and rivalry? In the PL it's the same franchises that compete for the title with all their plastic tag on fans - no thanks!

Well, we could chip in with minus £40m and planning permission for a ground on a village green - Rovers could match neither of these things.

Not in favour of a merger myself, although in time the new club would probably attract more than enough support, with newbies replacing the diminishing number of diehards. I imagine there once were Bristol South End fans swearing never to watch football again if the merger with they scumbags from Bedminster were to go ahead...

Never to the BSE side, says I. Bedminster City Rules!

I think some of the morons posting in this thread should hang there heads in shame. Weather you agree with Louis's opinion or not (I don't by the way) the vitriolic that's been aimed at him is disgusting. This is a man who's on more than one occasion broken his nose, fractured his skull, and countless times spilled blood for Bristol City. Comments like "I never want to see him in a City shirt again" are cringeworthy in the extreme. By all means disagree with him, but keep things in proportion and try and remember what he's done over the last 18 years.

Shall we also bare in mind that he should never have to work again, if he's been financially wise and that he was sent to Coventry only to return presumably because life was too tough out of his comfort zone. Ala, another club 'legend' Scott Murray at Reading.

Like I've said, theoretically, I can see sense in a merge. Morally, spiritually and practically it is insane, though.

Louis was possibly only giving a throw away answer to a loaded question.

What I take greater issue with is idiots who view people who have been made millionaires for being slightly better than average footballers as god-like characters.

Nothing personal against Louis or Scott or anyone else, really.

Bristol United? No ta. I'm a Bristol City supporter , end of story. I'm not one of those who claims to hate the Premier League and have no desire to be in it , I would love for City to be mixing it with the big boys on a regular basis.

By the same token , if I have to drag my sorry carcas to far flung outposts like Hartlepool and Bury , I will do it all again because I love my club.

I know a fair few dyed in the wool gasheads who feel the same. Support for a United side would take years to establish IMO , as there would be no handing down of a love for club like we see now. My Dad gave me my love for City and I've done the same with my son. It will need a whole new generation to fully embrace a United team.

Given a choice between a United team in the prem or a City side scratching around in the lower reaches of the football pyramid , hand me the A-Z of Rochdale every time.

You've quoted the 2001 population for Bradford and the 2011 population for Bristol. The 2011 census shows that Bradford has a population of 522,000.

He's quoted the population of the city of Bradford and compared it to the population of the city of Bristol. Bradfords population now covers a greater area, which includes several large towns, it is now a metropolitan area, the actual poulation of the city is as stated. Obviously, if we included the same area as is done with Bradford our citywide population would increase to include much of south glos, north Somerset and BANES. If you look up "large urban zones" for Europe, Bristols is over 1 million, Bradford is included with Leeds.

It's very difficult to define the actual population of greater Bristol, some put it at 551,000 but that is only the conurbation. Bradford as a city is most definately, not as big as Bristol.

We are subdivided by seperate authority areas who don't want to relinquish their powers to a citywide area. This is why we never get the recognition, government funds, or any other benefits a larger admin area would warrant. Divide and rule, each area applies for funding individually so obviously the collective voice is not heard and the government treats it with contempt.

You've quoted the 2001 population for Bradford and the 2011 population for Bristol. The 2011 census shows that Bradford has a population of 522,000.

That figure includes the area around Bradford as well. A similar exercise for Bristol gives a population of over 550,000 in 2001.

Don't quite understand why Louis Carey is being crucified for a throwaway remark on a local sports forum. It's clear he is a committed City fan and probably knows it was an entirely hypothetical question with no chance of it ever happening.

Simply adding our respective gates together does't mean that overnight Bristol Utd would get 20,000 every game. Both teams loyalties run deep and it might take a generation before the team was regarded as "ours" by many.

I used to quite fancy Carey but that's it for me now his posters being taken off my wall.....,

That is shocking.

That is truly shocking yeah.

Anyway, I think that if this ever happened, which it won't I doubt, most true city and rovers supporters would probably be looking to make a AFC Wimbledon/fc of Manchester sort of club. That's what id be thinking anyway..

I think some of the morons posting in this thread should hang there heads in shame. Weather you agree with Louis's opinion or not (I don't by the way) the vitriolic that's been aimed at him is disgusting. This is a man who's on more than one occasion broken his nose, fractured his skull, and countless times spilled blood for Bristol City. Comments like "I never want to see him in a City shirt again" are cringeworthy in the extreme. By all means disagree with him, but keep things in proportion and try and remember what he's done over the last 18 years.

I totally agree, but after reading and posting on this forum for 10 years I KNOW that one or two posters have an agenda against LC.

So this thread doesn't actually surprise me ;)

I totally agree, but after reading and posting on this forum for 10 years I KNOW that one or two posters have an agenda against LC.

Anyone truly passionate about Bristol City would not suggest such a thing. I would rather be Bristol City in the Conference then Bristol United in the Prem.

Anyone who is a fan or truly cares about Bristol City, or Rovers for that matter....would agree.

For Carey to suggest such a thing, I find bizarre if I'm honest.....

I've had my opinions on Carey, but even I find his comments surprising.

That is truly shocking yeah.

Anyway, I think that if this ever happened, which it won't I doubt, most true city and rovers supporters would probably be looking to make a AFC Wimbledon/fc of Manchester sort of club. That's what id be thinking anyway..

The ironic about thing about this is because Bristol City would merge to become Bristol Utd, all our fans would have lost their sense of history and belonging, and yet creating a brand new Bristol City aka Wimbledon would be no different.

Nottingham is roughly the same size as Bristol and it manages to support two teams, Sheffield is a bit larger but it has a smaller urban area and it has Rotherham and Chesterfield on its doorstep. Liverpool's bigger still but is undoubttedly a lot poorer, again two teams.

I could go on, but the point is Louis is wrong and just repeating an oft expressed false cannard.

He's made himself look a bit of a berk.

The ironic about thing about this is because Bristol City would merge to become Bristol Utd, all our fans would have lost their sense of history and belonging, and yet creating a brand new Bristol City aka Wimbledon would be no different.

I think you are correct in what you are saying beaverface...

But with an AFC situation, both gas and city could create what both sides are about ie: blue and white quarters, gas, pirates for rovers along with still a sense of togetherness with the fan base.

A bristol united would finish anything unique about either club...

Not happening anyway...

Agreed.

Spot on PB, this place has alot of idiots with agenda's...

A few weeks ago Scotty got blasted for having a drink despite the fact he is retired, and now it is Carey's turn... Unbelievable.

Nottingham is roughly the same size as Bristol and it manages to support two teams, Sheffield is a bit larger but it has a smaller urban area and it has Rotherham and Chesterfield on its doorstep. Liverpool's bigger still but is undoubttedly a lot poorer, again two teams.

I could go on, but the point is Louis is wrong and just repeating an oft expressed false cannard.

He's made himself look a bit of a berk.

I'd like to point out the difference between the cities you mention and Bristol.

Without doubt, football is traditionally a working mans sport, less so now but it's history is with the working classes. Bristol has a lower number of working class within it's population and sub regions, when compared to those other cities. Historically there have been less people attending football from Bristol than those places, I know there are many other factors such as having a successful team to follow but, traditionally there have been less people inclined to attend football matches when there are other things to do and Bristol has always had many other things to do than go to watch under achieving football clubs. I know our poor areas compare with those of other cities but there just aren't as many of them.

From memory here is an example of what I mean: Bristol used to have a housing stock of 110,000 of which 46,000 were council owned, Nottingham had a housing stock of 96,000 of which some 80,000 were council owned. These are old figures taken from memory so I cannot be sure of their accuracy, it's only a guide to the make up of different areas assuming working classes are housed by the council.

In the UK, the further south and west you go the richer the people are or, the further north you go the poorer (working class) they become, obviously there are exceptions. Perhaps this is why the better supported teams are traditionall in the north.

Firstly I would just like to say that I strongly and passionately disagree with the comments Louis (and Marcus Stewart, but I have zero respect for him anyway) made about Bristol United and should such thing ever come to pass (not that I think it will) I will in no way support it and would look to get involved in helping to set up a Bristol City pheonix club.

However, firstly I'm not going to read too much into some throwaway remarks Louis made to a heavily loaded and hypothetical question. Sure, there is no way I would have answered the question in that way, but there is a fair chance all Louis is guilty of is being incredibly naive and pretty stupid.

Secondly, even if Louis does actually believe that such team would be for the best (and as I said this view would be diametrically opposed to my own) I am not going to let one incorrect view/silly remark change my opinion of Louis that I have formed over 18 years.

-He has represented the club with total commitment and no shortage of ability 640 times.

-He captained the club to it's highest finish in the last 33 years.

-He has shed blood, sweat and tears as well as suffering 6 broken noses and one fractured skull through putting his body on the line for the club that was all clearly love.

-Even in his advancing years he has been able to make up for his creaking body by showing the spirit, effort and determination that so many other players lack.

-He has been an important player in two promotions.

In the knowledge that it will no doubt lead to even more bickering I am loath to mention his time at Coventry, but while we are talking about things that Louis said the other night it should also be mentioned that he said he took no enjoyment for playing for Coventry as it didn't give him the same buzz that playing for City does.

Louis probably does deserve some criticism for his comments the other night, but as always when Louis is spoken about on this forum I am left disgusted by some of the things being said about a local lad that came through our youth system and has represented us with distinction. Quite frankly there are people on this thread that should be ashamed of themselves.

Many years ago Highland teams Inverness Caledonian and Inverness Thistle merged to form Inverness Caledonian Thistle. They have moved all the way from the Highland league to as high as second to Celtic this season, but average crowds are still less than 4000. One of the reasons given is that people in Inverness don't feel any real attachment to the new club. Maybe in another generation that will change.

As I posted earlier, the real City and Rovers fans would have nothing to do with Bristol United, the Premier League hungry glory hunters would disappear the first time that Bristol United had a poor run. Bristol City have been in the top flight before and have spent 60% of our existence in the top two divisions, we don't need to change to chase a Premier League dream that will come our way fairly soon anyway IMO.

I'd like to point out the difference between the cities you mention and Bristol.

Without doubt, football is traditionally a working mans sport, less so now but it's history is with the working classes. Bristol has a lower number of working class within it's population and sub regions, when compared to those other cities. Historically there have been less people attending football from Bristol than those places, I know there are many other factors such as having a successful team to follow but, traditionally there have been less people inclined to attend football matches when there are other things to do and Bristol has always had many other things to do than go to watch under achieving football clubs. I know our poor areas compare with those of other cities but there just aren't as many of them.

From memory here is an example of what I mean: Bristol used to have a housing stock of 110,000 of which 46,000 were council owned, Nottingham had a housing stock of 96,000 of which some 80,000 were council owned. These are old figures taken from memory so I cannot be sure of their accuracy, it's only a guide to the make up of different areas assuming working classes are housed by the council.

In the UK, the further south and west you go the richer the people are or, the further north you go the poorer (working class) they become, obviously there are exceptions. Perhaps this is why the better supported teams are traditionall in the north.

Bang on the money for me Rich. I've said much the same in the past, people like their football in the South but they aren't anywhere near as passionate for their local clubs compared to oop North.

Many years ago Highland teams Inverness Caledonian and Inverness Thistle merged to form Inverness Caledonian Thistle. They have moved all the way from the Highland league to as high as second to Celtic this season, but average crowds are still less than 4000. One of the reasons given is that people in Inverness don't feel any real attachment to the new club. Maybe in another generation that will change.

As I posted earlier, the real City and Rovers fans would have nothing to do with Bristol United, the Premier League hungry glory hunters would disappear the first time that Bristol United had a poor run. Bristol City have been in the top flight before and have spent 60% of our existence in the top two divisions, we don't need to change to chase a Premier League dream that will come our way fairly soon anyway IMO.

This scenario will fit the Malaysian club a treat. While they are having success, many new fans appear because they want to watch Man Utd etc, as soon as they return to reality following some poor seasons, they will be back to watching their favourite Sky team in the satellite league.

No point merging. Both partys have to bring something to the table. They offer nothing.

5,000 extra fans IF they would all forget their past and support the new team.

September 1980; City's Chairman offered an open door to the Rovers' board if they wished to discuss a merger as fans were staying away from two sinking ships, but nothing came of it. That was cuz Rovers thought City were about to disappear and they didn't want to be lumbered with us.

Three teams (I'm told) merged to form Dagenham & Redbridge and they climbed out of the Conference and into the League.

Two of the three teams in Inverness merged and they went from Highland League to SPL.

Hayes & Yeading merged but remain in the League the two teams were in, but the new outfit has less overheads than two clubs. Similarly two teams in the Birmingham area merged and continue in the league they were in.

Rushden Town & Irthingborough Diamonds merged and 10 years later were in Div 3 of the football league. Then the money dried up.

I do agree Rich, but that only explains historically the reason there are more clubs in the north.

As we've all noticed, football's changing - attracting a more middle-class following. A few games back I was walking to my seat behind a group of well-spoken, middle aged guys who turned out to be Bristol Uni lecturers on their way to their first ever live match.

Couple that with the fact that the sport now costs an arm and a leg to follow - and the north and midlands are increasingly potless - then the fact that Bristol is a "middle class city" is a lot less of a reason to explain the Bristol clubs relatively poor attendances.

Archived