IGNORED

Always Look On The Bright Side...

MarcusX

Haven't we scored from more set pieces under SOD than in the last few seasons? Wasn't it 5 in one game?!

We have Jord, and I was thinking a corner [excuse the pun] had been turned in the ability of the squad in this respect, but last night we had 15 corners and about 3 of them were well taken. Maybe it was the tension of the occasion that got to the players (being charitable here) - I certainly think Baldock's confidence is low right now. He'd have buried that clear shot he had, earlier in the season.

I know it's a minor thing, but O'Driscoll's comments on the music really annoyed me. He comes across as one of those people who when something hasn't gone their way, casts around for someone else to blame. In other words, a bit of a plonker.

Dave (and Tim) you have nothing to apologise for. I think the song captured the correct mood quite perfectly.

We have Jord, and I was thinking a corner [excuse the pun] had been turned in the ability of the squad in this respect, but last night we had 15 corners and about 3 of them were well taken. Maybe it was the tension of the occasion that got to the players (being charitable here) - I certainly think Baldock's confidence is low right now. He'd have buried that clear shot he had, earlier in the season.

I think that Albert took some really good ones on the weekend, and he also took our best one yesterday, but Kilkenny still took most of them. Baffling.

Admittedly Albert's corners aren't usually that great but he certainly put in some belters against Bolton.

The song instantly took me back to Trumpton Park, many years ago. Stood in the pouring rain, soaked to the skin, getting thrashed by the Gas to lose the Championship of god knows what division to them. We City fans were singing our hearts out. A show of defiance and humour.

Maybe this spirit was what DaveL intended to create last night. But it's a bit different coming 2nd to the Gas and being promoted anyway to being relegated on that very evening. A brave choice, but you have to be confident people will view it in how it was intended. As someone else said, for many it was too soon.

It wasn't raining at Trumpton - it was a balmy Spring evening! I guess that shows that our minds adjust things so that they fit in with our perspective of events.

I think that ALOTBSOL is played by quite a few clubs following a defeat - I guess it is supposed to be seen as having a "positive" outlook on the future.

It wasn't raining at Trumpton - it was a balmy Spring evening! I guess that shows that our minds adjust things so that they fit in with our perspective of events.

I think that ALOTBSOL is played by quite a few clubs following a defeat - I guess it is supposed to be seen as having a "positive" outlook on the future.

Was it, must have been the time before then. I do remember getting soaked there and going sick from work a while later cos of feeling so crap, well I blamed the weather not the performance anyway. Going to that dump was mind-altering at the best of times!

I thought it was appropriate and fitted the mood. As Red Planet says, the song is about eternal optimism. Looking on the bright side of life no matter what it throws at you. Isn't that what football fans invariably have to do? We're down. We can't do anything about that. But we can look forward to the future and hope, i.e. we can look on the bright side of life! Next season will be better.... we hope!

It appears at football because Man utd fans started it years back. small time club copying really.

On song choice, I doubt it. Pick the wrong single malt for the boardroom drinks cabinet though and there'd be mayhem!

:laugh: I expect he would have blown his stack, god forbid the red wine is missing.

I guess we now know Dave L will need to consult SO'D before playing certain songs in certain situations.

Nowt like pissing off your manager on a relegation night!

To whoever played the song, well done great bit of gallows humour.

To all those getting their knickers in a twist, grow a sense of humour, it's only football, not life and death, and yes Shankley was wrong on that one.

To SOD, have you not got more important things to worry about ?

I will take responsibility for the song being played. Sincere apologies to anyone who was offended.

No need to apologise Dave. If a song being played at the end of a game (regardless of the context) is what angers our manager the most then we seriously need to consider the state of his focus and priorities.

Yes - none of us are particularly in the mood to jolly ourselves along after such a dismal season, but as has already been pointed out on this thread - 'always look on the bright side of life' is a song about optimism - picking yourself off the floor and getting on with it. I'm certain that's the context it was played in.

I feel this is projected anger and guilt displacement by both manager and players. If that is the case they should be ashamed of themselves in deflecting their ire and inadequecy on a song (and the person who played said song) when they should be focusing on themselves and apologising to the fans for not being good enough.

I will take responsibility for the song being played. Sincere apologies to anyone who was offended.

Dave,

You need to take responsibility. In my dealings with you, you have always conducted yourself as a cock. Your choice of song (whilst having a degree of humour) was still the decision of a cock.

Still, perhaps there will be a staff rationalisation for next year...

All the best.

Dave,

You need to take responsibility. In my dealings with you, you have always conducted yourself as a cock. Your choice of song (whilst having a degree of humour) was still the decision of a cock.

Still, perhaps there will be a staff rationalisation for next year...

All the best.

Are you james may? :)

Was it, must have been the time before then. I do remember getting soaked there and going sick from work a while later cos of feeling so crap, well I blamed the weather not the performance anyway. Going to that dump was mind-altering at the best of times!

Yes, although it still remains as the darkest greyest of days, it was in fact a lovely sunny day and a real balmy warm evening. I was rooted to the spot on the terraces in a state of shock long enough to remember.

As for the song being played, I heard it on SSN as the reporter was summing up, my initial thought was I didn't think it was a good idea but surely it's soon forgotten and falls to the bottom of a very long list of more important things to worry about....especially for So'D, that blokes never going to make a stand up comedian or after dinner speaker is he?

Lets hope this time next year he gives us all and himself something to smile about.

Archived