IGNORED

Luis Suarez

Brizzle Jordan

Defoe got a yellow card for biting Mascherano... this is the problem with the FA. They are hindered by their own rules and inconsistencies.

Personally I think 10 games is a bit extreme. Especially considering that if he had of been caught at the time the FA would have been tied by their own rules and a lesser ban would have been given.

It's FIFA's rule. There is nothing wrong with 10 games. It is a repeat offence, he has a history of offending, 10 matches is spot on imo.

I think the point is that most people seem to be missing here is because Suarez is a coward most of his misdeamours he tries to do on the blind side of referees. About 5/6 weeks ago and I cannot remember the game Suarez was involved in 3 separate incidents on the blind side of the referee one was a stamp and these were highlighted on MOTD and 2 of them could easily have been red cards, his previous bans have clearly not worked ala Barton, thus the severity this time, the sad thing is he dosen't need to cheat/dive/feign injury/stamp/bite or abuse people because he is so good but that appears to be not good enough for him, he needs to change and it will not affect how good he is.

No, it's for yellow cards, and it's a FIFA rule that the FA can't step in, otherwise it will undermine the referee's position.

For red cards, I'm pretty sure (but not certain) that the FA can increase the ban if they feel it's necessary.

I could be wrong, but wasn't the incident where Ben Thatcher assaulted Pedro Mendes an example of the FA increasing the standard ban?

No, it's for yellow cards, and it's a FIFA rule that the FA can't step in, otherwise it will undermine the referee's position.

For red cards, I'm pretty sure (but not certain) that the FA can increase the ban if they feel it's necessary.

I stand corrected. You are right, I didn't realise that they can extend a punishment on a red card nowadays. Apologies.

However I stand by the fact that it is ridiculous that Defoe got a yellow and there was no where near this outcry for punishment, yet Suarez gets 10 games and people were calling for more.

I stand corrected. You are right, I didn't realise that they can extend a punishment on a red card nowadays. Apologies.

However I stand by the fact that it is ridiculous that Defoe got a yellow and there was no where near this outcry for punishment, yet Suarez gets 10 games and people were calling for more.

It does seem a bit odd doesn't it.

The rule regarding if the Referee seen it then the FA don't take action is just laughable.

Had Suarez told the referee he bit Ivanovic he would of only gotten a 3 match ban?

No, because the ref wouldn't have actually seen it. Daft, I know.

The FA have a rule to deal with "exceptions". The can override automatic bans if they choose. Although this is subjective, surely it's sensible as referees cannot be expected to see everything and even when they do, sometimes the auto ban for a red card isn't enough - but it's always the starting point.

Generally, they won't overrule something a ref has done (again sensible) hence the Defoe booking stood with no addition. If Defoe had an appalling track record of past offences and warnings I reckon he'd have been dealt with differently.

Anyway, for what it's worth a ban of 4 meaningless and 6 competitive games seems reasonable. Quite why Liverpool didn't look to "score some points" by banning him for the rest of this season, I've no idea (it's only one more than the minimum he could have been suspended for).

10 matches is fine, it had to be higher than the 7 he got last time.

On Defoe:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2006/oct/24/newsstory.sport7

I think the rules should be changed a little. If the referee reviews the incident and feels he didn't fully appreciate the gravity of it he should be able to refer it to the FA to punish retrospectively.

Now if we could just start handing round 10 games bans for diving, feigning injury, cheating and spitting...

Maybe one of these lumps at centre half may choose to knock the filthy shite completely out, fingers crossed taking his bucked teeth out while they are at it. I am sure a gumming won't be half so bad in the future.

I wonder if the guy is retarded in some way, he just can't help screwing up, and lets be honest, biting is what 4 year old's resort to. Maybe he has a low mental age?! That is the only thing I can think of if he genuinely isn't a nasty piece of work.

To be honest, I reckon he should have got a life ban, this is his 2nd biting offence, only need to get an infection in the arm, or suarez to be harbouring some nasty disease. He clearly is incapable of learning his lesson.

Maybe one of these lumps at centre half may choose to knock the filthy shite completely out, fingers crossed taking his bucked teeth out while they are at it. I am sure a gumming won't be half so bad in the future.

I wonder if the guy is retarded in some way, he just can't help screwing up, and lets be honest, biting is what 4 year old's resort to. Maybe he has a low mental age?! That is the only thing I can think of if he genuinely isn't a nasty piece of work.

To be honest, I reckon he should have got a life ban, this is his 2nd biting offence, only need to get an infection in the arm, or suarez to be harbouring some nasty disease. He clearly is incapable of learning his lesson.

A life ban? Don't be so ridiculous.

10 game ban is ridiculous. Who does it affect ? Yes, the club and it's fans. Suarez just gets an extended summer holiday with full pay. If I had bit one of my colleagues 2 years ago and then 18 months later called another the 'N' word and then 6 months after that bit another colleague would I still have a job ? No. He should be dumped by his employer, given a million pound fine (10 weeks pay !) and told that if he ever did anything like that again then he would never set foot on a British football pitch again. Rant over.

A life ban? Don't be so ridiculous.

So for a player who keeps making the same mistakes? You suggest they keep slapping him on the wrist with fines and bans?

Maybe the should start docking clubs points then. Then supporters will not support talented liabilities so much.

I think biting is a disgusting thing to do personally. I know it is hypothetical, if he took the players little finger off by mistake, as the defender pulled his hand away, what would your opinion be then?

Its a disgrace, the FA are making this stuff up as they go along and its got to stop.

Lets make 1 new rule and have a Flat 3 game ban for all offences, but hand video of everygame to a group of 15 or so people whos job it is to review video footage of games, any violence, racism, etc refer to the police.

Simple.

Let people get sent to jail for punching other players, its stupid they do it in a club and its afray and they get banged up (Unless your Eric he did it on the pitch) but on a pitch some ****wits in a room debate it and give fines and bans at the end of the day its assult!

• Admin

10 game ban is ridiculous. Who does it affect ? Yes, the club and it's fans. Suarez just gets an extended summer holiday with full pay. If I had bit one of my colleagues 2 years ago and then 18 months later called another the 'N' word and then 6 months after that bit another colleague would I still have a job ? No. He should be dumped by his employer, given a million pound fine (10 weeks pay !) and told that if he ever did anything like that again then he would never set foot on a British football pitch again. Rant over.

This I can't understand, who on here would still be in a job if they bit a member of staff from a rival compay - none of us I reckon, so surely a 10 game ban is lienient. I assume if they were of a mind to, Liverpool could terminate his contract, for gross misconduct.

This I can't understand, who on here would still be in a job if they bit a member of staff from a rival compay - none of us I reckon, so surely a 10 game ban is lienient. I assume if they were of a mind to, Liverpool could terminate his contract, for gross misconduct.

As we all know, football isn't a normal business though is it. You couldn't be sold for £30 million either so it's a bit of a ridiculous comparison. Liverpool are not going to give away their most valuable asset. Of course they aren't. It is a punishment, he obviously loves playing football and won't be able to until late September/October now. What he did was disgraceful, but banning him forever is silly. I wouldn't be surprised if he left now, not even because I think Liverpool want rid but more likely Suarez could well want out.

As we all know, football isn't a normal business though is it. You couldn't be sold for £30 million either so it's a bit of a ridiculous comparison. Liverpool are not going to give away their most valuable asset. Of course they aren't. It is a punishment, he obviously loves playing football and won't be able to until late September/October now. What he did was disgraceful, but banning him forever is silly. I wouldn't be surprised if he left now, not even because I think Liverpool want rid but more likely Suarez could well want out.

Good riddance, he is dragging Liverpool's name through the mud and because he is probably the only real asset they own, the club are indulging him. Shankly or Paisley would not have indulged him and they were the 2 people who built that club into (at the time) the greatest club in the world and now 1 honourable legend has gone largely because of him and another manager has to defend the indefensible, i'm sorry are Liverpool so hungry for success at any price?

Sack him and Sue him just like Chelsea did with Mutu.

Can certainly tell who those that support Liverpool in this thread.

I'll try and use this as an example. Had a person served 7 months in prison for biting someone and then served 8 months for being racist then you would say cos he's committed the same offence again then 10 months would be very reasonable.

Liverpool declaring their surprise and disappointment at the ban has once again made me dislike them even more. Once upon a time I had a great respect for Liverpool but their defence of this player is turning that respect and admiration into a ever growing dislike.

He might be a good player but personally for me any admiration for his talents gets lost on me because of his behaviour. Liverpool need to get rid of him ASAP before he ruins their reputation, brand etc. Sponsors could start pulling out etc.

Suarez at Liverpool is finished. It's not a if he will commit another offence it's a when. It's turned sour for him and no matter what he does there will always be people waiting for him to trip up. That pressure could cause him to lash out again. Best thing for him and for liverpool to do is to go their seperate ways.

10 game ban? what nonsense. If this were rugby, would he get the same?

If this were rugby, the horrible little **** would be in several different pieces by now.

Personally, I'd like him kicked out of English football. You know it's only a matter of time before his next episode.

Filthy bastard.

Sack him and Sue him just like Chelsea did with Mutu.

Can certainly tell who those that support Liverpool in this thread.

I'll try and use this as an example. Had a person served 7 months in prison for biting someone and then served 8 months for being racist then you would say cos he's committed the same offence again then 10 months would be very reasonable.

Liverpool declaring their surprise and disappointment at the ban has once again made me dislike them even more. Once upon a time I had a great respect for Liverpool but their defence of this player is turning that respect and admiration into a ever growing dislike.

He might be a good player but personally for me any admiration for his talents gets lost on me because of his behaviour. Liverpool need to get rid of him ASAP before he ruins their reputation, brand etc. Sponsors could start pulling out etc.

Suarez at Liverpool is finished. It's not a if he will commit another offence it's a when. It's turned sour for him and no matter what he does there will always be people waiting for him to trip up. That pressure could cause him to lash out again. Best thing for him and for liverpool to do is to go their seperate ways.

Believe me I do not support Liverpool, bar teams directly linked to us such as Rovers/Cardiff they are actually the team I dislike the most in the entire football league! My feelings on Liverpool do not cloud my judgement on the issue at hand though, Liverpool sacking Suarez makes no financial sense and therefore would never happen. It's not hard to work out.

I agree with your third and fourth paragraphs, the handling of the Suarez/Evra affair was disgraceful and I don't know why they are particularly surprised either. Talk of a three match ban was silly it was obviously going to be much higher than that.

As for whether hell leave or not we'll have to see. I still think they will try and keep him but they may try and get rid and use the money to sign another world class player. The problem for Rodgers of course is he has built much of what he's trying to achieve at Liverpool around Suarez, and therefore losing him sets his long-term plan back considerably. As you've said though, looking at the bigger picture Liverpool may decide that is a price worth paying considering the problems that Suarez causes.

Poor old Liverpool. Lets feel sorry for them yet again. I'm getting sick of the latest liverpool 'woe is us'.

Fans in support of Suarez as if as though he has been wronged. Seeing tweets as far as "Stay strong Luis, we are right behind you". Hang on a second, he bit a professional and Liverpool fans still want us to feel sorry for them.

• Admin

I wouldn't call it ridiculous, a player can't be sold if he doesn't want to go. Some in football want to use 'normal' employment law when it suits - Bosman - but be exempt when it doesn't suit. I would still think, that should they want to (and I agree the finances dictate it won't) they could terminate his contract, without pay, for gross misconduct.

I wasn't saying ban him forever, if Liverpool did sack him (which they won't, so its just a what if thought) then he could play for any team that wants him, exactly the same as any 'normal' employee in a similar situation.

It's a curious one, Biting, similar to spitting I would say as it's socially not acceptable but in reality (in this instance as no mark was even left) not really that evil a thing.

We see spitting and biting as a lot worse than a punch to the jaw, which is odd in consideration. I know I would much rather be spat at or bitten than punched or kicked.

I don't want to sound like Redeye, but does this link to acceptable 'manly' showings of strength versus tactless, cheap and feminine attacks?

I don't see this incident as worse than some of the assaults we saw Peterborough players hand out to our players at London road this season, when no attempt was made to play the ball and injuring the opponent was the only motivation.

It's curious how social acceptabilities can often be quite ignorant and hypocritical.

I'm not defending Saurez; I thought it a disgusting action and the ban, whilst severe, is justifiable. Just find the attitude to other, arguably more severe, actions curious.

I wouldn't call it ridiculous, a player can't be sold if he doesn't want to go. Some in football want to use 'normal' employment law when it suits - Bosman - but be exempt when it doesn't suit. I would still think, that should they want to (and I agree the finances dictate it won't) they could terminate his contract, without pay, for gross misconduct.

I wasn't saying ban him forever, if Liverpool did sack him (which they won't, so its just a what if thought) then he could play for any team that wants him, exactly the same as any 'normal' employee in a similar situation.

As I said financially it would make no sense for Liverpool to sack him when they could sell him, and finance is what rules football.

It's a curious one, Biting, similar to spitting I would say as it's socially not acceptable but in reality (in this instance as no mark was even left) not really that evil a thing.

We see spitting and biting as a lot worse than a punch to the jaw, which is odd in consideration. I know I would much rather be spat at or bitten than punched or kicked.

I don't want to sound like Redeye, but does this link to acceptable 'manly' showings of strength versus tactless, cheap and feminine attacks?

I don't see this incident as worse than some of the assaults we saw Peterborough players hand out to our players at London road this season, when no attempt was made to play the ball and injuring the opponent was the only motivation.

It's curious how social acceptabilities can often be quite ignorant and hypocritical.

I'm not defending Saurez; I thought it a disgusting action and the ban, whilst severe, is justifiable. Just find the attitude to other, arguably more severe, actions curious.

Really?! I think most people would take a punch to the chops over being spat on or bitten. The thing is, I think people can relate to players seeing the red mist on a football pitch and lashing out in frustration in the form of a punch or kick. If that happens, when the dust has settled most would probably be happy to forgive and forget, it's part of sport and in a way a result of testosterone. However waiting for the referee to be looking the other way and then biting an opponent shows that not only is this planned but it is sneaky, and just generally pretty scummy. I know personally that if I was punched in the heat of the moment on a football field it's very unlikely that i would hold a grudge. Yet if someone spat on me or bit me, it would be a different matter entirely.

Archived