IGNORED

Mancini Out, Pellegrini In

Brizzle Jordan

Madrid will surely play hardball, they'll want their full whack of compensation for letting him go I reckon. If Chelsea don't pay it, he'll either have to get sacked, pay it himself, mutual consent or another club pay it. Given the recent acrimony, Madrid wouldn't sack him, nor would they let him go through mutual consent imo. It's a game of poker, who will blink first?

They have approached Ancelotti, so surely this goes in Mourinho's favour if he wants to leave?

They have approached Ancelotti, so surely this goes in Mourinho's favour if he wants to leave?

True. Hadn't properly seen it when I made that post- but PSG have obviously rejected approach so if Ancelotti quits there/PSG get compensation then I guess Mourinho is gone. But he may decide to stay there to make things awkward other week- in which case they'd have to fire him. For arguments sake, Madrid have a very good squad so I'd think twice about quitting.

Just been sacked. So it looks like this Pellegrini who has already failed in his career with a load of cash to spend.

Pellegrini is a funny one. His Villareal sides and to a lesser degree Malaga sides were excellent- no mega money there. At Real he just missed La Liga when Barca got 99 pts or something stupid but totally underperformed in CL and Spanish Cup. Semi and quarter with Villareal in CL, Malaga qf this year despite turmoil off pitch. Also worth noting at Madrid he didn't purchase the players, board had control over transfers. His teams are known for good football though and he definitely has a superior CL record to Mancini. It's pretty standard at Madrid though- managers getting control over transfers does not happen in the main. He was last manager to split big two at Spain in 07/08 to be fair.

Seeing as its Benitez's contract expiring does that count as a sacking?

It wouldn't no, I'm unsure if that stat includes all departures now! Just somethign I briefly saw in the 'comments' section on BBC web site.

I know it was 30 ish when Appleton went though, so 56 sackings seems entirely feasible

It wouldn't no, I'm unsure if that stat includes all departures now! Just somethign I briefly saw in the 'comments' section on BBC web site.

I know it was 30 ish when Appleton went though, so 56 sackings seems entirely feasible

Whatever the figures, it's utterly ridiculous. Football has gone mad.

Got to be internal politics. Rumours that he was going have been about since September. No smoke without fire.

His heavy criticism of transfers this season probably started it.

internal politics? you dont think his total and utter failure in the CL had anything to do with it, or his useless signings, or his constant, defensive play and substitutions? or the fact they lost a cup final to relegation fodder despite having unlimited funds? the way he almost threw away a 10 point lead in the league last year and wouldnt have won if man utd hadnt stuttered, and didnt manage to even begin to challenge this year?

internal politics? you dont think his total and utter failure in the CL had anything to do with it, or his useless signings, or his constant, defensive play and substitutions? or the fact they lost a cup final to relegation fodder despite having unlimited funds? the way he almost threw away a 10 point lead in the league last year and wouldnt have won if man utd hadnt stuttered, and didnt manage to even begin to challenge this year?

Yes I do think politics. The fans up here love him. He is their second most successful manager of all time. The rumours have been about since he criticised the rubbish summer signings as the club wouldn't fund bigger moves. And since Txiki Bergiristain arrived there have been more and more. Hitting out at club officials after the game was probably the last straw. There is even an article now about relationship with players on the beeb: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-city

Utter failure in the champions league is harsh. Group of death both years they have been in it, should they have done better? Probably. But look at it from this point of view- Their rivals across Manchester played one good team in this years champs league and got knocked out- a team Manchester City had in their group alongside one of the finalists. Any one who knew anything about German football did not expect them to get out of the group.

Augero, Silva, Toure... every bad manager makes bad signings they also make good ones. The ones this season were the ones that the man himself criticised the club for (the Sinclair's etc- With the exception of the vastly under rated Nastasic.)

The constant defensive play is a myth. He would bring on holding players to push Yaya further forward. He would only not have Yaya further forward at the beginning of the game so Silva could play more centrally. And when both fit he has started with both Tevez and Augero up front very often. He also toyed with a 3-5-2 formation to get more of his attacking players in the game.

Yes they lost to Wigan. A team who are constantly relegation fodder, yet every year they pull off results against at least one of United/Liverpool/Arsenal/Chelsea. I seem to remember a certain team relegated from the championship this year who had good results against Cardiff, Palace and Watford this season. It happens- it's one of the reason we all love the game. It was also being reported before the final that he would be going if they won or not.

He nearly threw away a big lead... But he didn't. Sir Alex on the other hand threw away an 8 point lead. You can't have it both ways. You criticise Mancini for throwing away a lead and yet cite good fortune for him recovering that lead.

They will fall 11 points (at best) off last seasons total. Manchester United will finish 2 points above last years if they win their last game. Ferguson got the players in the summer that he wanted (at vast expense). Mancini didn't get a single one of his main transfer targets, one of which being Ferguson's marquee summer signing and the main reason United won the title- bringing me again to the first time he had a break down in relationship with the club.

Archived