IGNORED

Rovers Ground

Super

The argument that the uwe stadium is in Bristol or not is futile. Frenchay is Bristol. Yate is Bristol. The city has grown massively and it's now in Bristol, South Gloucester and heading towards North Somerset.

They ARE a bristol club, and their new stadium IS in Bristol. Just face it.

The argument that the uwe stadium is in Bristol or not is futile. Frenchay is Bristol. Yate is Bristol. The city has grown massively and it's now in Bristol, South Gloucester and heading towards North Somerset.

Frenchay is South Glos, Yate is South Glos, they are not IN Bristol. Part of Greater Bristol (aka Nr Bristol), yes, IN Bristol...no.

They ARE a briget a stadium in the city.l club, and their new stadium IS in Bristol. Just face it.

Just to add that yate and frenchay are not in bristol any more than kingswood is hence red trowsers has no authority in those areas . Anyone who says otherwise is wrong. There is nothing wrong with their new stadium being just outside the city as we all know too well what its like trying to get one build within bristol.

Wooooaaahh, frenchay is not bristol, yate is not in bristol.

You cant just make up borders when you feel like it.

If your not within city boundaries, how can you be in the city.

Its the CITY AND COUNTY OF BRISTOL. Not city and county, plus some other counties that we want to own bristol.

South Glos council did their planning permission, so it means its in bristol right?

There is no argument, it's a fact that the UWE Stadium will be outside the City of Bristol. Rovers fans make it a big deal by getting all precious over a bit of ribbing about where their new ground is, it's pathetic.

Perhaps admin should change the name of this forum just in case it upsets poor ikle wikle Gasheads

epic fail

That is some fantastic subterfuge, fair play saggy.

Let them blather on, they can claim they're not bothered where the stadium is as much as they want but I would suggest they are protesting too much.

OTIB

Bitter, bitter fellow, why don't you go and lie down?. Your capacity for self-delusion is admirable as well as slightly disturbing.

How have Rovers been underhand?. That statement about our moving to the Mem knowing we would take over is absolute rubbish, and about as accurate as calling the tin shed at one end of your ramshackle ground the East End. An absolute joke, just like your club really.

I never realised we were £40 million+ in debt. My, my, you learn something every day. You will recall that we offered Bristol Rugby the opportunity to move to the UWE but that offer was turned down by the megalomaniac who now owns your club lock, stock and barrel. You'd better hope he never gets tired of you because that will mean another 1982 with bells, whistles and knobs on.

I believe your God-awful club has the distinction of being the first to go out of business one day then reform the next with a different name and in the process stiffing many local businesses and 8 of your players. Something to be proud of that. It is alleged by the players themselves that they were "encouraged " by some of your God-awful "fans" to tear up their contracts. I seem to remember that when Accrington Stanley were in a similar situation in the 1960's they bowed out of the league with dignity and grace, not something your God-awful club or fans are known for.

I hope you're not attempting to claim any moral high ground on behalf of fellow fans who, among other acts

1) Slashed the tires of a number of coaches booked to transport Rovers fans to Wembley in 1990

2) Burnt down the main stand at Twerton Park after we beat you to the Division 3 title in the same year.

3) Desecrated the Memorial Gates at the Memorial Stadium a few years ago.

4) Threatened the City Councillors who had the temerity to object the Sainsbury application for Trashton Gate

5) Made threats to the residents of Ashton Vale as well as damaging their property when they objected to the AV stadium.

And finally, I am not obsessed with your club, I do however find it amusing reading your self-obsessed forum and the blatant lies you all seem so capable of spouting. I suppose you get plenty of practice at the benefits office. It's a bit like observing pond life really.

Look out everyone, I think we have a badass on our hands...

They are not paying to use the land. If you lease me some land and I pay to build a house on it, that does not mean you get a rent free room. It does mean you avoid the capital cost of constructing the building. I have not seen any statement by UWE that says they get free use of the teaching space (as opposed to occasional use of the stadium, function rooms etc)

If you have, I would appreciate a link.

I have only got that info from the from the board that was outside UWE main reception these said that all conference and medical rooms are accessible to students for their learning purposes at any time (medical rooms for students teaching physiotherapy etc) they also said that this was part of the terms of the lease. I will try and find a link for you. I do not know if these are still there as I left a year ago.

Like I said I cannot imagine that 125 lease rent free for naming rights of a league 2 team would be it. The media coverage at that current level would not make it worthwhile

So we have 11 pages of bickering about whether rovers are moving out of Bristol or not, my ground is better than your ground....na na na na na naaaa. You can definitely tell its pre season! The fact is whether rovers ground is out of Bristol or not is irrelevant, it looks like it will go ahead now and fair play to them for getting on with it as sharpish as possible. We have the plans for the redevelopment to look forward to this summer, hopefully planning will go through in the next 6 months or so and by then we will know whether ashton vale is worth pursuing or not. With all this fingers crossed Bristol will finally have two decent stadiums in the next couple of years, and both teams can push towards the championship, a Bristol derby at that level would be fantastic. Just a thought when was the last time that actually happened?

So we have 11 pages of bickering about whether rovers are moving out of Bristol or not, my ground is better than your ground....na na na na na naaaa. You can definitely tell its pre season! The fact is whether rovers ground is out of Bristol or not is irrelevant, it looks like it will go ahead now and fair play to them for getting on with it as sharpish as possible. We have the plans for the redevelopment to look forward to this summer, hopefully planning will go through in the next 6 months or so and by then we will know whether ashton vale is worth pursuing or not. With all this fingers crossed Bristol will finally have two decent stadiums in the next couple of years, and both teams can push towards the championship, a Bristol derby at that level would be fantastic. Just a thought when was the last time that actually happened?

How can bristol have two stadiums, when one won't be in bristol?

How can bristol have two stadiums, when one won't be in bristol?

Technically its greater Bristol, if you asked someone who lives in yate or pucklechurch they will tell you they are from Bristol, they have a Bristol post code but fall under the sg border, im sure you wouldn't give them hassle about how they weren't actually in Bristol. To me it just looks like other city fans are trying to gloss over the fact that rovers have got their stadium sorted before ours, anyway like I say its irrelevant. Lets just get ours sorted, whether that be ag or av.

Technically its greater Bristol, if you asked someone who lives in yate or pucklechurch they will tell you they are from Bristol, they have a Bristol post code but fall under the sg border, im sure you wouldn't give them hassle about how they weren't actually in Bristol. To me it just looks like other city fans are trying to gloss over the fact that rovers have got their stadium sorted before ours, anyway like I say its irrelevant. Lets just get ours sorted, whether that be ag or av.

Greater Bristol doesnt exist though, you cant just make things up.

Royal Mail postcodes have never really been an indication of where somewhere is, for example fishguard has a swansea postcode, yet is 70 miles away. I guess it is in swansea though? As it has as swansea postcode, im going to name it greater swansea.

I couldnt care if they have their new stadium or not, fair play for them for going outside of the city, having a more sympathetic council. Its clever and well done to them for doing it.

I just do not like, people making up city limits and "greater bristol's"

if you asked someone who lives in yate or pucklechurch they will tell you they are from Bristol, they have a Bristol post code but fall under the sg border, im sure you wouldn't give them hassle about how they weren't actually in Bristol.

I would.

Actually, I think we should build a high wall around the boundary of Bristol and put big neon signs on top that flash the words '**** OFF!!'

Vote for me.

I come over here for light banter and some half decent bristol footy chat and try to steer clear of fairly pointless threads like this but cider red is spot on, Us gas will always think.. our fans are better , our songs are better, our new ground is better, ect ect, just as you reds will think and tell all that eveything red is better, the fact is this will happen no matter how much debt either team has, what league either team is in, who has won what, who has the sell out crowds or who is play in front of a man and his 2 dogs.... its what Bristol Footy is all about , your blue or red , rovers or city and you will talk absolute Bull to prove your team/club is better than the other cause its YOUR team and the other lot are the horrible/rubbishscumbag lot from the other side, long may it continue just think how weird it will be if all goes to plan we are both vying for the prem or even in it , in new grounds , decent players and big crowds.... what will we argue about.... obviously we will be better though ;-)

I come over here for light banter and some half decent bristol footy chat and try to steer clear of fairly pointless threads like this but cider red is spot on, Us gas will always think.. our fans are better , our songs are better, our new ground is better, ect ect, just as you reds will think and tell all that eveything red is better, the fact is this will happen no matter how much debt either team has, what league either team is in, who has won what, who has the sell out crowds or who is play in front of a man and his 2 dogs.... its what Bristol Footy is all about , your blue or red , rovers or city and you will talk absolute Bull to prove your team/club is better than the other cause its YOUR team and the other lot are the horrible/rubbishscumbag lot from the other side, long may it continue just think how weird it will be if all goes to plan we are both vying for the prem or even in it , in new grounds , decent players and big crowds.... what will we argue about.... obviously we will be better though ;-)

Nice try. History and fact shows we are the better club though, its your lot that are delusional :)

Greater Bristol doesnt exist though, you cant just make things up.

Royal Mail postcodes have never really been an indication of where somewhere is, for example fishguard has a swansea postcode, yet is 70 miles away. I guess it is in swansea though? As it has as swansea postcode, im going to name it greater swansea.

I couldnt care if they have their new stadium or not, fair play for them for going outside of the city, having a more sympathetic council. Its clever and well done to them for doing it.

I just do not like, people making up city limits and "greater bristol's"

Greater Bristol doesn't exist, though it's Larger Urban Zone does. In terms of official populations (not including the likes of Frenchay, Mangotsfield, Staple Hill, Emerson's Green), the population of Bristol is only 400k, putting us in 10th place in the English city population list. If you actually include the other areas (despite banter, we really should include the whole of Bristol tbh), the population goes above 1,000,000 and would put us in 4th place, only behind London, Birmingham and Manchester. Bristol is actually huge.

Greater Bristol doesn't exist, though it's Larger Urban Zone does. In terms of official populations (not including the likes of Frenchay, Mangotsfield, Staple Hill, Emerson's Green), the population of Bristol is only 400k, putting us in 10th place in the English city population list. If you actually include the other areas (despite banter, we really should include the whole of Bristol tbh), the population goes above 1,000,000 and would put us in 4th place, only behind London, Birmingham and Manchester. Bristol is actually huge.

How can you include the whole of bristol, when the parts you want to include are not bristol? You cant just add things to counties when you feel like it.

You cant say parts of bristol, are parts of bristol, when they are not and are in a completely different county.

You mentioned earlier about pucklechurch, that is roughly the same amount of distance away from the CENTRE of bristol, as it is from the centre of bristol to portishead.

Also, pucklechurch is the same distance from Bath as it is to Bristol, cant that be in the Greater Bath? Or shall we have it in Greater Bristol?

We might aswell go all the way down to clutton ,thats only 10 miles from the centre of bristol, see if we can steal midsomer norton at the same time.

Should we include all the way down to their aswell?

Bristol, city and county since 1373.

Not city and county, plus some other peoples counties we want.

I'm going to tactically withdraw from this thread now as we're going around in circles.

My last word on the topic?

I couldn't care two hoops that the UWE Bristol Stadium is going to be built a matter of yards outside the boundary of the jurisdiction of Bristol City Council. Manchester United don't play in Manchester, Brighton don't play in Brighton etc. Would anyone suggest United v City is not a Manchester Derby? No.

The facts are the UWE Bristol Stadium is funded and will be built bar any totally unexpected JR applications, it will almost double our current capacity, will be modern, comfortable, have excellent facilities far in excess of anything the Mem can offer in it's current delapidated state, has the potential to generate far more revenue for the Gas and almost all Gasheads are pleased and excited by it however much anyone claims it is a "soulless bowl" somewhere in the middle of nowhere in deepest Gloucestershire.

You're getting AV or a revamped AG. You're all happy that either option will be be hugely characterful, fully fan consulted and far superior to other new builds. Good. In that case we're all happy, we get our new ground which is a huge step up from we currently have, and you get yours - designed to the fans specifications after a full consultation process - also a huge step up from what you currently have. Everyones happy.

On that note, I now withdraw from this thread as 11 pages is probably enough going around in circles to be honest. ;)

I'm going to tactically withdraw from this thread now as we're going around in circles.

My last word on the topic?

I couldn't care two hoops that the UWE Bristol Stadium is going to be built a matter of yards outside the boundary of the jurisdiction of Bristol City Council. Manchester United don't play in Manchester, Brighton don't play in Brighton etc. Would anyone suggest United v City is not a Manchester Derby? No.

The facts are the UWE Bristol Stadium is funded and will be built bar any totally unexpected JR applications, it will almost double our current capacity, will be modern, comfortable, have excellent facilities far in excess of anything the Mem can offer in it's current delapidated state, has the potential to generate far more revenue for the Gas and almost all Gasheads are pleased and excited by it however much anyone claims it is a "soulless bowl" somewhere in the middle of nowhere in deepest Gloucestershire.

You're getting AV or a revamped AG. You're all happy that either option will be be hugely characterful, fully fan consulted and far superior to other new builds. Good. In that case we're all happy, we get our new ground which is a huge step up from we currently have, and you get yours - designed to the fans specifications after a full consultation process - also a huge step up from what you currently have. Everyones happy.

On that note, I now withdraw from this thread as 11 pages is probably enough going around in circles to be honest. ;)

Good, close the door on the way out .

A new stadium is not a guarantee of success and it could be a millstone, but if could also give them a lift-up, no-one can deny that. They could also pick-up student supporters which will help them - I mean an extra 500 supporters when you're averaging 7000 would make a difference. As a club I can't see them getting beyond League 1 in the next 5 - 10 years because they lack the footballing and financial infrastructure to take things to the next level, which has been proven over and over again over the last god knows how many years. The fact they talked about Swansea and themselves in the same forum posts was embarrassingly delusional. They are never going to be Swansea, nor Donny Rovers or Barnsley, not even Peterborough.

Indeed, it is not the be all and end all. I can honestly say i am happier that we have achieved CAT2 for the academy than breaking ground on a new stadium this year. That itself is far more important for the future that a new stadium could ever be.

Im happy to wait and in 5 years time see young City academy players running out at a new Ashton Gate or Ashton Vale....hopefully higher up the leagues!

If you read it properly you'll understand that my post about understanding was about understanding the differences from where rovers and city are approaching new stadia from.

When was selling good players when you're on the bread line unethical?

When did planning permission ever get refused on financial grounds?

Not ignoring any replies, just not checking back in on this thread for the time being due to the inability of most replying to be able to understand at the moment.

Night all

1). I know where you were coming from.

2). Did I say selling players was unethical?, I was illustrating a point that throughout your clubs history you have sold just about every single asset, so how long for your nice new ground?.

3). Mangotsfield and severnside on both occasions the respective councils said show us the money first and you couldn't and both respective councils then said that they felt it was no go because they remained unconvinced about the financing of the 2 projects and believed that they would be left holding the financial baby.

A gashead said to my dad on the eve of your leaving of Eastville "why not let us play at Ashton Gate, paint one half red and one half blue" and my dad replied "because you ******s would end up selling your half, even though you didn't own it"

The Horfield site is worth more than the Ashton Gate site to Sainsbury's for a number of reasons. They already have a store in Ashton, AG would just give them a bigger one. The Horfield site gives them access to the affluent BS7 area and there are no alternative sites for a similar size store. The build cost for UWE is £32m, so a figure of £29m is not unlikely as the Sainsbury's accounts apparently show a provision of £31m for stores in the Bristol are.

As for leases, if I have paid for my ground lease with naming rights, I will not be giving you free use of the office space that I have paid for the construction of. You are quite welcome to use the car park during weekdays in office hours when I don't need it.

But your forgetting there is also already a store at fox den, don't you think that the 31 million provision would also include the actual build cost of the store and all associated fees?

I'm gonna use your argument now and say with no alternative sites for you to build a stadium the landowner holds all the cards, if you don't give them free teaching space etc then no lease no stadium. Pretty simple to figure that out.

What I will give you is I live in Bs34, originally I was born and bred in actual bristol however now I live in bs34 I still consider myself as a resident of Bristol, just a different council and tbh south glos is more Upmarket than Bristol.

How can you include the whole of bristol, when the parts you want to include are not bristol? You cant just add things to counties when you feel like it.

You cant say parts of bristol, are parts of bristol, when they are not and are in a completely different county.

You mentioned earlier about pucklechurch, that is roughly the same amount of distance away from the CENTRE of bristol, as it is from the centre of bristol to portishead.

Also, pucklechurch is the same distance from Bath as it is to Bristol, cant that be in the Greater Bath? Or shall we have it in Greater Bristol?

We might aswell go all the way down to clutton ,thats only 10 miles from the centre of bristol, see if we can steal midsomer norton at the same time.

Should we include all the way down to their aswell?

Bristol, city and county since 1373.

Not city and county, plus some other peoples counties we want.

Well, your examples don't work at all. Pucklechurch is clearly closer to Bristol than Bath, rather than the same distance. You're taking poor examples and using them for your argument. Admittedly, you're correct, you cannot pick and choose what parts are Bristol and what aren't, but your arguments with Clutton/Bath are not relevant. Kingswood, Emersons Green, Mangotsfield, are all areas that have been born or expanded from the city of Bristol, using Bristol postcodes, and therefore have far more relevance to Bristol than to Bath or any neighbouring City. I think going as far as Yate is clutching at straws given the gaps in land between Yate and Bristol, but for example, Emersons Green to Bristol city centre is full of residential areas the whole way there, it is attached to Bristol.

KIngswood - in postal code BS15 XXX is:

Kingswood,

Bristol

BS15 1AP

Nailsea is in North Somerset, but the postal address for say, BS48 XXX is:

Nailsea

Bristol

BS48 XXX

I would imagine most people in Kingswood reckon themselves living in Bristol. However, possibly most people living in Nailsea would say they live near Bristol, or say "I come from the Bristol area".

I haven't done a survey on this mind you, but I know a number of people living in those locations who feel that. (Go on then - now I have written these comments someone is bound to post "I come from Kingswood and I don't consider myself living in Bristol)!!

Archived