IGNORED

Bristol Pubs

Nogbad the Bad

Sad time for pubs with so many struggling, disappearing or becoming unrecognisable on the inside as modernisation for food leaves drinkers ever more sidelined.

Still a good few left though, and I might be missing some hidden gems. Which pubs in the Bristol area are so special - whether it be location, quality of the ale, atmosphere/ old fashioned bars - that pub goers should make a point of visiting to play their part in ensuring their survival?

I'm looking ideally for pubs that have changed as little as possible over a long period and retain the feel of a pub ( rather than a restaurant where you can also buy alcohol) and for me anyway, they need to sell top quality real ale, and a good selection. Selling food is fine as long as it doesn't completely dominate and there is a decent area for drinkers.

For instance two I frequent are The Angel, Long Ashton, and the Portcullis in Clifton, both of which retain, for the most part, a traditional pub feel. I'm also a (very) long term occasional visitor to the Nova Scotia, which doesn't seem to have altered in the past 35 years. Also found a couple of corkers in the centre of Bath last week.

I've recently seen recommendations on the forum for The Barn at Nailsea (which I wasn't even aware of) but will now pay a visit. Any others that shouldn't be missed, and what is it about them that they deserve the support of devotees of the traditional English pub?

White horse in Westbury. Bass and butcombe and Thatcher's. Bit rough sometimes. Post office tavern is ok. Good beer.

Cambridge arms. Westbury park. Fullers pub. Clyde arms in Redland. Cracking pint of tribute. 2 darts teams and 2 pool teams. Colston arms on st Michael's hill.

If it's stil going then search out the cotham porter stores

Sad time for pubs with so many struggling, disappearing or becoming unrecognisable on the inside as modernisation for food leaves drinkers ever more sidelined.

Still a good few left though, and I might be missing some hidden gems. Which pubs in the Bristol area are so special - whether it be location, quality of the ale, atmosphere/ old fashioned bars - that pub goers should make a point of visiting to play their part in ensuring their survival?

I'm looking ideally for pubs that have changed as little as possible over a long period and retain the feel of a pub ( rather than a restaurant where you can also buy alcohol) and for me anyway, they need to sell top quality real ale, and a good selection. Selling food is fine as long as it doesn't completely dominate and there is a decent area for drinkers.

For instance two I frequent are The Angel, Long Ashton, and the Portcullis in Clifton, both of which retain, for the most part, a traditional pub feel. I'm also a (very) long term occasional visitor to the Nova Scotia, which doesn't seem to have altered in the past 35 years. Also found a couple of corkers in the centre of Bath last week.

I've recently seen recommendations on the forum for The Barn at Nailsea (which I wasn't even aware of) but will now pay a visit. Any others that shouldn't be missed, and what is it about them that they deserve the support of devotees of the traditional English pub?

The Barn is at Wraxhall. The Princess Motto at Barrow Guerney is good. The Crown at Churchill is a hidden gem, up a lane,looks like a house but its a proper old pub. Just a drinking pub, you can smell the ale as you walk in.

White horse in Westbury. Bass and butcombe and Thatcher's. Bit rough sometimes. Post office tavern is ok. Good beer.

Cambridge arms. Westbury park. Fullers pub. Clyde arms in Redland. Cracking pint of tribute. 2 darts teams and 2 pool teams. Colston arms on st Michael's hill.

I was a regular in The Hoss - once a week - for about 25 years kev after discovering the Draught Bass in about '78. Second pub I ever got served in (after The Duck) when old Bill Webb was landlord. Really disappointed on my last visit last year, very run down, didn't seem to have a landlord (or many custmers) and the famous Bass was not being well kept - which is very bad news next day!! I remember when you couldn't move in there on a Sunday lunchtime and it was packed with fantastic old characters.

I know all the Redland pubs from when I used to have a bedsit about 100 yards from The Clyde; glad to hear the one's mentioned are still going strong. Fuller's at The Cambridge, eh?

Cotham Porter Stores? Met up there for the start my stag night crawl in '85. Great little pub in those days and the only pub I've ever got into drinking cider bar the Coronation Tap.

The Barn is at Wraxhall. The Princess Motto at Barrow Guerney is good. The Crown at Churchill is a hidden gem, up a lane,looks like a house but its a proper old pub. Just a drinking pub, you can smell the ale as you walk in.

Just returned from the Old Barn, looks like I was one of the few not to have heard of it - very busy, surprising as you'd hardly know it was there from the main road.

Half a dozen barrels behind the bar, good selection of ales and all in all the best barn conversion I've ever seen! I will return.

I know the Prince's Motto and thanks for the tip about the Crown, sounds well worth a visit. :thumbsup:

What's a 'traditional' pub?

To me they represent places which are the domain of alcoholic, aggressive, bullying, domestic-abusing men.

Yes, there are some old pubs which are exemplars of great tradition. Sadly - most of the so-called traditional pubs in Bristol are domains for men who are intent on holding on to a vile past.

Thankfully - most women are wising up to these abusive morons and moving on with their lives - leaving the pissheads to wallow in the alcoholic haze of their old way of life in their ever diminishing boozers...

Thankfully - most women are wising up to this

So which Bristol boozer does Charles Saatchi use, Redeye?!

He doesn't.

But there are Charles Saatchi aplenty in 'traditional' pubs - or alcoholic dens as i prefer to name them.

Thankfully, the more this disgusting domestic abusive behaviour is highlighted and outed, the more the culture that perpetuates it will decline.

He doesn't.

But there are Charles Saatchi aplenty in 'traditional' pubs - or alcoholic dens as i prefer to name them.

Thankfully, the more this disgusting domestic abusive behaviour is highlighted and outed, the more the culture that perpetuates it will decline.

My point was semi-humorous, but it was meant to illustrate the fact that all sorts can be abusers not jusr 'pubmen'. In fact, it is in city centre bars, noisy, too obright and inhabited by squads of single sex dullards out on the piss/pull that you're much more likely to see violence than in the 'trad' pubs this thread is about.

My point was semi-humorous, but it was meant to illustrate the fact that all sorts can be abusers not jusr 'pubmen'. In fact, it is in city centre bars, noisy, too obright and inhabited by squads of

single sex dullards out on the piss/pull that

you're much more likely to see violence than in

the 'trad' pubs this thread is about.

I agree to some extent with your post and appreciate that not all boozers are full of abusive people, as I have already acknowledged.

Sadly, I have experienced the pubs I talk of at first-hand, for many years - and through my experience these men never change their vile ways.

Only this week, a friend of mine managed to extract herself from an abusive marriage - and the funny irony is her abusive pisshead of a husband is bleating to his pisshead friends that her leaving has 'broken him'. You couldn't make it up.

To me they represent places which are the domain of alcoholic, aggressive, bullying, domestic-abusing men.

Yes, there are some old pubs which are exemplars of great tradition. Sadly - most of the so-called traditional pubs in Bristol are domains for men who are intent on holding on to a vile past.

Thankfully - most women are wising up to these abusive morons and moving on with their lives - leaving the pissheads to wallow in the alcoholic haze of their old way of life in their ever diminishing boozers...

Pubs have changed in more ways than one and you can often find as many women as men in many pubs these days, something you'd be aware of if you frequented them.

This thread is for forum users to recommend unspoilt traditional English pubs to others.

If you can recommend one please feel free to do so, otherwise please desist from spoiling what I had hoped would be an interesting and informative thread, and had made an encouraging start in that direction before your unwelcome attempt to take it off course.

If you want a thread about 'pissheads, vile morons, alcoholic abusers' etc., - you seem to want ALL threads to be about them - start your own thread and stop hijacking one for ordinary non aggressive pub goers that clearly has nothing to do with those issues.

Pubs have changed in more ways than one and you can often find as many women as men in many pubs these days, something you'd be aware of if you frequented them.

This thread is for forum users to recommend unspoilt traditional English pubs to others.

If you can recommend one please feel free to do so, otherwise please desist from spoiling what I had hoped would be an interesting and informative thread, and had made an encouraging start in that direction before your unwelcome attempt to take it off course.

If you want a thread about 'pissheads, vile morons, alcoholic abusers' etc., - you seem to want ALL threads to be about them - start your own thread and stop hijacking one for ordinary non aggressive pub goers that clearly has nothing to do with those issues.

Can't you see though?! You enjoy a beer in a pub so you must also like bullying and the like.

I expect you indulge in a bit of domestic abuse after a few causal beers as well.

You should be ashamed of yourself!!

Anyway back on topic..... I've always enjoyed the few boozers on St Michaels Hill. Not sure what the beers like though as I'm a lager lout.......

Pubs have changed in more ways than one and you can often find as many women as men in

many pubs these days, something you'd be

aware of if you frequented them.

This thread is for forum users to recommend

unspoilt traditional English pubs to others.

If you can recommend one please feel free to do

so, otherwise please desist from spoiling what I

had hoped would be an interesting and

informative thread, and had made an

encouraging start in that direction before your

unwelcome attempt to take it off course.

If you want a thread about 'pissheads, vile morons, alcoholic abusers' etc., - you seem to

want ALL threads to be about them - start

your own thread and stop hijacking one for

ordinary non aggressive pub goers that clearly

has nothing to do with those issues.

Interesting to note in your reply there is no condemnation of domestic abuse or violence.

Can't you see though?! You enjoy a beer in a pub so you must also like bullying and the like.

I expect you indulge in a bit of domestic abuse

after a few causal beers as well.

You should be ashamed of yourself!!

Anyway back on topic..... I've always enjoyed the

few boozers on St Michaels Hill. Not sure what

the beers like though as I'm a lager

lout.......

Interesting to note in your reply there is no condemnation of domestic abuse or violence.

Why should I?! What else would you like me to condemn in a post?

Would you like me to sign off condemning everything else that I've not been party to?

Would you like condemn Redeye's WUMing?

You're a prejudiced bigot!

Good idea but then I'd only be accused of promoting domestic abuse!

This could have been a good thread about some rare decent boozers in Bristol until it was hijacked by Swampy.

Hopefully mods will move it to the newly created Redeye drunken ramblings thread. He does tend to ruin threads, especially ones that are trying to be informative.

I don't see the point he is trying to make, I don't see any recommendations for real ale, or beer. Maybe he is a white lightening lad! Maybe he should make 1 topic, boozers, bullying and abuse... discuss, then maybe people like me wouldn't take the piss when he tries to hijack threads.

Hopefully mods will move it to the newly created Redeye drunken ramblings thread. He does tend to ruin threads, especially ones that are trying to be informative.

I don't see the point he is trying to make, I don't see any recommendations for real ale, or beer. Maybe he is a white lightening lad! Maybe he should make 1 topic, boozers, bullying and abuse... discuss, then maybe people like me wouldn't take the piss when he tries to hijack threads.

I await his reply to your post;

Interesting to note that there is no condemnation of domestic zzzzzzzzzzzzzz......

I await his reply to your post;

Interesting to note that there is no condemnation of domestic zzzzzzzzzzzzzz......

I think he has given up, or blocked me now, so I am probably wasting my own time replying :)

I was a regular in The Hoss - once a week - for about 25 years kev after discovering the Draught Bass in about '78. Second pub I ever got served in (after The Duck) when old Bill Webb was landlord. Really disappointed on my last visit last year, very run down, didn't seem to have a landlord (or many custmers) and the famous Bass was not being well kept - which is very bad news next day!! I remember when you couldn't move in there on a Sunday lunchtime and it was packed with fantastic old characters.

I know all the Redland pubs from when I used to have a bedsit about 100 yards from The Clyde; glad to hear the one's mentioned are still going strong. Fuller's at The Cambridge, eh?

Cotham Porter Stores? Met up there for the start my stag night crawl in '85. Great little pub in those days and the only pub I've ever got into drinking cider bar the Coronation Tap.

CPS is no more. Becoming a bl00dy restaurant :grr:

My favourite is the Cat & Wheel on Cheltenham Road. Nothing special to look at but good beer and cider, and a friendly landlady and bar staff. Marginally less unreasonable prices than most pubs in the area, too.

Closed now.

• Admin

Blue Flame, Nailsea West End, you won't get much more unchanged than that.

I haven't been for a few months and believe its changed hands, but the Rising Sun at Pensford was also a 'proper' pub.

Again, I haven't been since the revamp, but I have heard the beer in here http://www.barleymowbristol.com/ is good.

Its a shame that so many pubs are closing / changing, I recall when I lived in the Chessels that there were 60 pubs within half an hours walk and well over 100 within an hours walk. I also have a list of old Bedminster pubs, there were 100 from north/west st through to Redcliffe.

The Green Tree and Volunteer Riflemans in Bath are both pubs for drinking in, not full of brats and families - the sign most likely to make me not go into a pub is " Families Welcome".

An hours train ride away, but some decent pubs in Exeter.

Blue Flame, Nailsea West End, you won't get much more unchanged than that.

I haven't been for a few months and believe its changed hands, but the Rising Sun at Pensford was also a 'proper' pub.

Again, I haven't been since the revamp, but I have heard the beer in here http://www.barleymowbristol.com/ is good.

Its a shame that so many pubs are closing / changing, I recall when I lived in the Chessels that there were 60 pubs within half an hours walk and well over 100 within an hours walk. I also have a list of old Bedminster pubs, there were 100 from north/west st through to Redcliffe.

The Green Tree and Volunteer Riflemans in Bath are both pubs for drinking in, not full of brats and families - the sign most likely to make me not go into a pub is " Families Welcome".

An hours train ride away, but some decent pubs in Exeter.

Fuc# me the shiters in their haven't been changed since ww2 have they. :laughcont:

Archived