IGNORED

Bristol Pubs

Nogbad the Bad

Westbury 7 now. Foresters long gone. Pub behind Sainsbury's used to be calle platform one then the steam tavern it's been a naff student bar for ages. Aussie theme I think. Albion is a gastro pub

Ohh, well better than I thought, Forresters eh? no loss, :laugh:, never liked that pub.

Not the Roo bar,, its further back still, kinda in a residential area, the back enterence.

\Alma Tavern!

Westbury 7 now. Foresters long gone. Pub behind Sainsbury's used to be calle platform one then the steam tavern it's been a naff student bar for ages. Aussie theme I think. Albion is a gastro pub

I think you're thinking of the Outback bar. Jugs of Vodka and Redbull for £6! Dangerous.

We always included the Eastfield because of the Draught Bass, so 9 for us. The Victoria was a run down spit and sawdust cider house, it could hardly be more different now.

Duck - Prince - Foresters - Hoss - White Lion - Victoria - Mouse - POT - Eastfield, then the long trek back to the Duck.

Far and away best pub in Westbury - and easily the best ale - was the Horse, worst Foresters ( good old pub at the time but full of gasheads and us half dozen or so used to wear our City scarves full time in those days. :shocking:

These days if I'm ever in WOT I head for the Prince - good beer, and although the Gentlemen only bar, and the dartboard area, are long gone, probably the pub which has altered least, in fact probably even improved. Can't speak for the POT or Mouse though ( chalky seems to like them) - haven't been in to either for many years.

Speaking of Platform One, that's where Ray Cashley was famously assaulted by Rovers fans in our First Division days.

I used to play for the POC darts team in the late '70's. The dartboard was in the right hand bar, 'the port', along with the juke box and us younger clientele were tolerated in there by the landlord, Nancarrow, while he chatted to his older regulars in the left hand bar, 'the starboard'.

Went back a year or two ago and sat in the Starboard which was largely unchanged, but the port was unrecognisable, no dartboard or juke box and full of tables laid out for food, and completely empty. The starboard is a good little bar on it's own though, and the beer was improved from the 70's/early 80's, as was the welcome.

The Kings Arms was a decent enough pub in those days, dartboard, skittle alley etc. it's a bit weird now it's been modernised, nothing to recommend it, definitely not for me. Shame because it was built to be a bloody good pub and until successive owners mucked it around and ruined it, that's exactly what it was.

Also used to go in the Coach and Horses, and the Red Lion, Worrall Road, which had 2 dartboards. Remember we were in there in the evening after City beat Rovers 2-1 in the Cup and there was a City scarf draped over the mirror behind the bar so must have been owned by City fans in the mid. 80's. Walked past it recently and not sure exactly what it is now, seemingly some sort of wine place, not the old Red Lion that's for sure, but too disappointed to investigate further.

Only been to the Beaufort a couple of times and a long time ago. I know it was notorious for a while for supposedly being John Cannan's watering hole.

If you're still watching this thread, Noggers, you might like to know the Red Lion has risen from the dead - a very rare tale indeed in these days of pub closures, and one to be celebrated.

The wine bar (which as it happens was not, in fact, by any means all bad) demised earlier this year and, to the surprise and pleasure of many local residents, the landlord who was here when I moved to the area, Nick Russell, decided to return after an absence of four years. Nick, by the way, is the son of Graham Russell, who you are likely to have heard of, as he was for many years a well-known sports journalist in the south-west.

This is a story to warm the cockles of your beer and pub-loving heart. As so often happens where the dreaded "pub-co's", Punch Taverns and Enterprise Inns, are involved, Nick was shafted when they tried to hike the rent on him and left in disgust. The building, however, was subsequently sold, so Nick has been able to come back as his own boss on a 15 year lease and to run it as a Free House. It is now once again almost exactly as it used to be under his previous stewardship. It will appeal to a certain sort of customer, of whom I suspect you would be one. It does no food to speak of; it is quite a blokey place, though women do drink there; it is first and foremost a drinkers pub, and moreover a sporty pub, with Sky Sports, so I am once again assured of a venue where I can go to watch a few overs of the test match or whatever else is unavailable to we non-subscribers.

As a local resident myself, I am delighted. You might want to call in and revive old memories some time. Hope that is of some interest to you.

CC

If you're still watching this thread, Noggers, you might like to know the Red Lion has risen from the dead - a very rare tale indeed in these days of pub closures, and one to be celebrated.

The wine bar (which as it happens was not, in fact, by any means all bad) demised earlier this year and, to the surprise and pleasure of many local residents, the landlord who was here when I moved to the area, Nick Russell, decided to return after an absence of four years. Nick, by the way, is the son of Graham Russell, who you are likely to have heard of, as he was for many years a well-known sports journalist in the south-west.

This is a story to warm the cockles of your beer and pub-loving heart. As so often happens where the dreaded "pub-co's", Punch Taverns and Enterprise Inns, are involved, Nick was shafted when they tried to hike the rent on him and left in disgust. The building, however, was subsequently sold, so Nick has been able to come back as his own boss on a 15 year lease and to run it as a Free House. It is now once again almost exactly as it used to be under his previous stewardship. It will appeal to a certain sort of customer, of whom I suspect you would be one. It does no food to speak of; it is quite a blokey place, though women do drink there; it is first and foremost a drinkers pub, and moreover a sporty pub, with Sky Sports, so I am once again assured of a venue where I can go to watch a few overs of the test match or whatever else is unavailable to we non-subscribers.

As a local resident myself, I am delighted. You might want to call in and revive old memories some time. Hope that is of some interest to you.

CC

Thanks for that. I live just off the top of Blackboy hill and that is of great interest to me. Excellent news. Think ill pop into the Red Lion soon to check it out. The last I heard it had shut down and I hadn't walked down that way in a while, so now I know it's back and even showing the cricket, even better!! Cheers.

As the thread has been blurred by 'All our Yesterdays' - I'm obviously the main rambling culprit - here's a list of the recommendations so far. Mostly traditional pubs, with a few posters' personal favourites thrown in for their own reasons.

Bristol:

Portcullis, Alma Vale Tavern, Vittoria, Penny Farthing, Port of Call, Beaufort, Coach and Horses, Red Lion, Clifton

White Horse, Post Office Tavern, Prince of Wales, Mouse, Westbury-On-Trym

Cambridge Arms, Clyde Arms, Colston Arms, Robin Hood, Highbury Vaults, Redland/St.Michael's Hill

Cornubia, Bridge Inn, Bank Tavern, Ship Inn, Seven Stars, King's Head, White Lion, Central

Nova Scotia, Merchants Arms, Adam &Eve, Bag o'Nails, Hotwells

Old England, Beaufort, Montpelier

Farm, St.Werberghs

Lord Raglan, St. George

Cat & Wheel, Cheltenham Road

Lazy Dog, Ashley Down

Avon Packet, 3 Lions, BS3

Hope & Anchor, Shirehampton

Further Afield:

Angel, Long Ashton

Old Barn, Blue Flame, Nailsea

Prince's Motto, Barrow Gurney

Crown, Churchill

Rising Sun, Pensford

Hunter's Lodge, Priddy

Hop Pole, Limpley Stoke

Dog & Fox, Ashley

Fox & Badger, Wellow

Green Tree, Volunteer Riflemen's, Bath

Just to add another favourite of mine,The Cross House at Doynton - traditional old pub, open fireplace, and well kept Timothy Taylor's Landlord. Food in a seperate area if you want it. What could be better? :dunno:

As the thread has been blurred by 'All our Yesterdays' - I'm obviously the main rambling culprit - here's a list of the recommendations so far. Mostly traditional pubs, with a few posters' personal favourites thrown in for their own reasons.

Bristol:

Portcullis, Alma Vale Tavern, Vittoria, Penny Farthing, Port of Call, Beaufort, Coach and Horses, Red Lion, Clifton

Cambridge Arms, Clyde Arms, Colston Arms, Robin Hood, Highbury Vaults, Redland/St.Michael's Hill

Cornubia, Bridge Inn, Bank Tavern, Ship Inn, Seven Stars, King's Head, White Lion, Central

Farm, St.Werberghs

Lord Raglan, St. George

Lazy Dog, Ashley Down

Further Afield:

Angel, Long Ashton

Crown, Churchill

Rising Sun, Pensford

Hunter's Lodge, Priddy

Hop Pole, Limpley Stoke

Dog & Fox, Ashley

Fox & Badger, Wellow

Just to add another favourite of mine,The Cross House at Doynton - traditional old pub, open fireplace, and well kept Timothy Taylor's Landlord. Food in a seperate area if you want it. What could be better? :dunno:

Thats one hell of a pub crawl there!

Highbury Vaults, I used to love that pub, all those ales.. and in the summer sat out back getting smashed everyday without a care in the world... Oh yesteryears, happy days.

No Corrie tap? People will get mad.

Thanks for that. I live just off the top of Blackboy hill and that is of great interest to me. Excellent news. Think ill pop into the Red Lion soon to check it out. The last I heard it had shut down and I hadn't walked down that way in a while, so now I know it's back and even showing the cricket, even better!! Cheers.

Good man. The more of us that support it, obviously the better the chance of it thriving. Let's spread the word.

Will have to check the red lion out then. Will probably go to the Sportsman before the glos match on friday.

As for the rhubard - one of the few I haven't done so will be doing that within the next few months I should imagine.

I can see a City drinking club forming.

Some already mentioned but off the top of my head here are some of my favorites:

Miners Arms - St Werburghs

The Duke of York - St Weburghs

Victoria - Horfield

Prince of Wales - WoT

The Portcullis - Clifton Village

Merchants Arms - Hotwells

The Shakespeare - Totterdown

WoT is a good pub crawl, Chipping Sodbury is also good.

My favorite is around Victoria street, start at the Bridge Inn, then onto the Cornubia, Kings Head, Ye Shakespeare and the Seven Stars.

Will have to check the red lion out then. Will probably go to the Sportsman before the glos match on friday.

As for the rhubard - one of the few I haven't done so will be doing that within the next few months I should imagine.

Go next door to the Annexe, much better.

Some already mentioned but off the top of my head here are some of my favorites:

Victoria - Horfield

Prince of Wales - WoT

My favorite is around Victoria street, start at the Bridge Inn, then onto the Cornubia, Kings Head, Ye Shakespeare and the Seven Stars.

The Miners is a wreck up of a pub, but it's got character and as Jules says in Pulp Fiction, personality goes a long way.

Can't stand the Shakespeare, mind you. Full of tw&ts.

Don't go rushing out to The Cross House anyone, just been informed it's been closed since early July.

Hopefully only temporary. :fingerscrossed:

http://www.doyntonvillage.org/Community/cross-house.html

Victoria - Horfield

Prince of Wales - WoT

I loves the 4 you mentioned around Victoria st - slightly further away but within walking distance is the Ship Inn Redcliffe - proper pub that and always quite busy when I have been there.

Totterdown - did all the pubs there few months back. Thought Shakespeare Inn was a bit wine bar-ey though. My favourite and most proper/traditional was the Rising Sun I think it's called - Oxford and Star & Dove you can forget it haha.

Go next door to the Annexe, much better.

Great shout - had one in the Sportsman initially and then 3 more when we stumbled across the Annexe - 10 times better and real cosy traditional feel. You cannot beat a packed traditional pub - which it was due to the cricket crowd. Loving the ideal of a traditional pub group of City fans.

Bristol:

Farm, St.Werberghs

Lord Raglan, St. George

Lazy Dog, Ashley Down

Further Afield:

Angel, Long Ashton

Crown, Churchill

Rising Sun, Pensford

Hunter's Lodge, Priddy

Hop Pole, Limpley Stoke

Dog & Fox, Ashley

Fox & Badger, Wellow

I also like The Ostrich opposite the Thekla, next to the General Hospital. Lovely 'Country Pub' feel in the heart of the city... and great outside area on the dockside. Perfect for this time of year! :drunk2:

I can't speak for the real ale in there (tend to have cider on the docks in the sun), but as a traditional pub it is great.

All the pubs in Chipping Sodbury are worth a visit (even maybe on the same night) ;-), the more popular of the pubs get stupidly busy on Friday and Saturday nights, but a great place for a night out in general. (I'm biased though, living only 2 minutes away)

1. The Royal Oak - Great beer, food, live music on thursday and sunday. Good atmosphere too.

2. The Squire - As above but anybody over 6 feet like me will need to duck, or stand BETWEEN the rafters! Massive beer garden out the back.

3. Beaufort Hunt - Interesting little place, legendary jukebox and a good pint. Has a "secret" garden out the back which is worth a look.

4. The Portcullis - Recently lost it's 2:00 am licence, so no more late un's. Does a top sunday roast.

5. The Grapes - Too small for my liking, usually have a guest cider or 2 on though. More of a "stop for a pint" place than anything else.

6. The Boot - The forgotten boozer really, typically a local's place. Good pool table, Dart board. Recently renovated, but another place for a quick pint rather than a whole evening.

7. The George Hotel - Historical pub/wine bar/bistro. Recently re-opened but tragically decorated entirely in Magnolia paint. Even the 400 year old oak joists were not spared!

Enjoy!

Visited the Bridge Inn and the Kings Head at the w/e after recommendations on here.

The two pubs have things in common - good beer, friendly regulars (in the evening it seems to be mostly couples and small groups who have gone out of their way to find the pubs due to the reputation & quality of the beer) who are more than happy to give their opinion of the various beers on offer.

They also both seem to survive by taking the bulk of their money at midweek lunchtimes, with meals for the local office workers, but no sign of any demand for food in the evenings.

That's where similarities end for me though. The Bridge Inn was modernised inside, painted light green with similar padded seating in front of the windows with little to suggest it's long history except some fine old tables. Very loud music blaring out which was incongruous with the clientele. One bloke in a City shirt had obviously been there since soon after the match - not bad going as we didn't get there til 9.15. Go there for the beer but don't expect traditional old fashioned surroundings, even the hand pumps were very modern.

The Kings Head though, Wow, absolutely fantastic inside, hard to see how it could have altered since the 1940's, or how I've lived in Bristol all my life without being aware of it. Great beer, a unique seating lay out - the enclosed area was a bit like the inside of a train, with a thin corridor to the side, or an old barbers, and don't leave it too long before going to the bogs, as they're ancient too and it's very much one at a time, with locked door, for both. Really interesting collection of old pencil sketches of pre war (many of them from early 1900's) Bristol pubs on the wall, most long gone.There was a group of 3 or 4 very loud, cackling women in there but that's often the way these days.

If you like traditional pubs, the Kings Head is an absolute must visit.

Also walked past the Cornubia which has added a large fenced off outside area since my last visit. Looked good but as there was very loud live music on Saturday night decided to investigate further when it's quieter.

Don't go to town often enough and when I do (when not going to football) normally take a wonder down whiteladies then into the centre,

A fair few crackers there sadly they are closing left right and centre, but that happens when you over tax something, the trade will die out

Prices in pubs are too high tbh, especially round Clifton and some bits of the Centre- pint of Coke today somewhere for £2.80, noticed a pint of Stella on the board for £3.84! Not paying those ******* prices.

Rich students, trustafarians and people fleeing the South East in any way to blame?

I also like The Ostrich opposite the Thekla, next to the General Hospital. Lovely 'Country Pub' feel in the heart of the city... and great outside area on the dockside. Perfect for this time of year! :drunk2:

I can't speak for the real ale in there (tend to have cider on the docks in the sun), but as a traditional pub it is great.

It's OK, but really badly run IMO. On a sunny day, you can't beat sitting outside watching the harbour, but it's not really a drinkers' pub. Usually only have Tribute on.

Archived